Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

buglord posted:

Finished this game today after 21 hours. Easily the most intriguing FPS game I've played in years. I've been massively burned out from forgetful big budget games, and sorta figured story driven FPS was on its way out. Happy to be wrong!~

Spoilery ending questions/ comments
The ending felt like a wet fart though. I think partially my actions were to blame. After looking at the possible endings, I think I was so concerned about getting the best one that I unknowingly screwed myself out of it. I figured the game's ending was sort of based on your completion percentage rather than certain actions, and in the end I worked on minor sidequests and treasure maps instead of finishing the Who Was January quest. However, it seems like Earth gets screwed regardless of your actions? And, could I "survive" (because I guess I was a Tychon/Human hybrid at the end) the escape if I Neuromod myself with Tychon powers? I didn't touch any because I was scared id get a bad ending...which seemed to have happened even though I took no chances blowing up all of Talos 1 after the survivors escaped, heh.

I'm having some friends start this game shortly, and I think my advice to them and my past self is "don't break your back for an optimal ending, and just do what seems fun".

Also, until like hour 15, I thought Alex was my abusive, arm breaking dad until he explicitly called me his little brother. I guess I wasn't paying attention in the intro :v: Also also, I wish I could read about JFK's neuromod experience (unless he just happened to live to 114 because of a good diet and regular exercise).

As a closing note, if mods ever make it to this game, I'm going to install the one that disables cystoid damage because theres nothing redeeming at all about those dickheads.

something that the game hammers home time and time again is that the why of your actions is just as important as the what. They're trying to test a typhon for empathetic capacity. Scurrying around ignoring what's right in the pursuit of what is optimal/what makes you a winner is psycopathic behavior. It makes sense that the game in a sense punishes you for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How do I find the dead rear end in a top hat in space for the Disgruntled Employee mission? I've checked every corpse outside the station that shows up on the HUD, and the mission waypoint is completely useless.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ToxicFrog posted:

How do I find the dead rear end in a top hat in space for the Disgruntled Employee mission? I've checked every corpse outside the station that shows up on the HUD, and the mission waypoint is completely useless.
Gotta activate his tracking beacon in deep storage, employee 1129 if I recall. Then just set a waypoint on him at a security computer.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You can reactivate his tracking bracelet in Deep Data Storage. It's technically possible to reach him the first time you're doing EVA, but that's the intended solution. I'm sure someone else can give you a full spoiler, if you want it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's interesting to see how people react to the ending when or if they never bothered to do the December "ending" as I feel that was what ultimately set off an alarm in my head about what was going on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was a bit confused by that but I thought that alex was being mind controlled by the typhon borg queen or something and we were still in the simulation lab.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was thinking about the ending and I think it implies that the Apex Typhon are super solitary or maybe one of a kind. A single station's worth of coral is enough to summon the apex Typhon but apparently a whole city of coral hasn't summoned a second one, so if others exist then I guess that they're out of range

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Maybe it did summon another one, but it just takes a long time for it to eat a whole planet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wouldn't Alex's priorities be completely different then?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Gotta activate his tracking beacon in deep storage, employee 1129 if I recall.
Did that; that's what got me the completely useless quest marker.

quote:

Then just set a waypoint on him at a security computer.

:doh: And completely forgot I could do that.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So can you prevent January from killing December, in any way? Or does it break the story over its knees?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

mortons stork posted:

So can you prevent January from killing December, in any way? Or does it break the story over its knees?

Yes, you can.

Kill January before she kills December

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You can slaughter every living and robotic thing on the station to your heart's content and still beat the game just fine. You won't get the full story but it still proceeds normally.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I'm a bit disappointed that December never talks to you again if you save them.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah I ended up just reloading after I realized all killing January did was remove content from the game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Actually, I was wrong! He says a little more as you complete the specific task he set you on. Not a lot, but there's a bit there.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Maybe it did summon another one, but it just takes a long time for it to eat a whole planet.

I assume that particular creature is just space borne. The cystoids can't float under gravity and entering atmosphere might not be possible for the apex

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

QuarkJets posted:

I was thinking about the ending and I think it implies that the Apex Typhon are super solitary or maybe one of a kind. A single station's worth of coral is enough to summon the apex Typhon but apparently a whole city of coral hasn't summoned a second one, so if others exist then I guess that they're out of range

Alternatively, maybe the Apex was a one off, but a large enough concentration of coral and Typhon biomass will eventually create one. Maybe there's usually only one Apex around at a time, as it would respond to coral faster than a second Apex could be made, but if that Apex is killed whatever Typhon can will just reproduce until a new one is made.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Didn't the game say the Aphex was specifically summoned in as a security mechanism, when you started tinkering directly with the coral during development of the Nullwave Device?

It could just be it never summoned one on earth because there was never any real threat posed against them earthside.

Alternatively, it could be the Aphex already came and went after wrecking things, and earth right now is simply being used to build more of them to send elsewhere and endlessly fling mimics out into space and whatnot.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I finished the game, finally, with only human skills. The fake chef was still calling me and complaining about his headache up until the very end, even though I'd knocked him out a few hours prior, and went to check on him right before I pushed the "end the game" button.

I wonder if the Operators in the post-credits scene were AI copies of those people, like January, or if they were telepresences for living people.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Didn't the game say the Aphex was specifically summoned in as a security mechanism, when you started tinkering directly with the coral during development of the Nullwave Device?

It could just be it never summoned one on earth because there was never any real threat posed against them earthside.

Alternatively, it could be the Aphex already came and went after wrecking things, and earth right now is simply being used to build more of them to send elsewhere and endlessly fling mimics out into space and whatnot.

Alex suggests the neural tripwire thing, but an infographic released by Arkane states that the purpose of the coral is to summon the Apex Typhon to come and consume whatever has been found.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Been enjoying the game so far, but man, this GUTS tunnel section is pretty lame. Slowly float down a long tunnel, fighting annoying enemies and dodging radiation.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Slowly? I wouldn't call 15m/s slow, but whatever floats your boat.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Protip: Prey has more forgiving physics than SS2. In particular, it doesn't have collision damage, only falling damage. This means you can rocket down the GUTS at your suit's max speed and brake by slamming face-first into a wall without any ill effects.

Also, cystoids are assholes but are also real dumb. Fire a few nerf darts near them and they'll chase after them and explode. And cystoid nests are the main sources of radiation, so once you pop them you don't have radiation to worry about except in one or two places.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

Protip: Prey has more forgiving physics than SS2. In particular, it doesn't have collision damage, only falling damage. This means you can rocket down the GUTS at your suit's max speed and brake by slamming face-first into a wall without any ill effects.
... I've damaged myself by running into things at high speeds in zero g segments.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zereth posted:

... I've damaged myself by running into things at high speeds in zero g segments.

Huh. What difficulty are you on? I played super cautiously at first until I slammed into a few things by accident at 15m/s without so much as bruise. Maybe only higher difficulties have collision damage?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Did you have any suit chipsets that protected you from crashing damage?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

ToxicFrog posted:

Huh. What difficulty are you on? I played super cautiously at first until I slammed into a few things by accident at 15m/s without so much as bruise. Maybe only higher difficulties have collision damage?

Yeah there are chips that reduce (maybe negate?) impact damage, but it's absolutely a mechanic. If your speedometer turns red, you're flying fast enough to get hurt.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah there is definitely collision damage. It's not severe, but if the gauge is red then you're gonna get hurt hitting stuff.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Fuuuck. I screwed up my I and It playthrough. Apparently if any of the mind-controlled people pop themselves instead of you killing them, it costs you the achievement.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
And somehow through my clumsiness and misguided obsession with doing things right, I somehow got the I and Thou achievement the first time around.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I beat the game yesterday, but I had no idea you could move that quickly in space. My max speed zero-g was a cool 1.49m/sec. Apparently you can sprint in space? My spacewalks were very tedious.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

guppy posted:

I beat the game yesterday, but I had no idea you could move that quickly in space. My max speed zero-g was a cool 1.49m/sec. Apparently you can sprint in space? My spacewalks were very tedious.

This is mentioned in a tutorial, IIRC. Hold down ctrl and it goes up to 10m/s, and you can increase that further with chipsets.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The Nightmare is the security system, the Apex is the harvester.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

and Morgan is the spanish flu

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

and Morgan is the spanish flu

Or cancer

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

A.o.D. posted:

The Nightmare is the security system, the Apex is the harvester.

Alex explicitly describes the Apex as a security system that was summoned directly as a result of you messing with the coral though

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ToxicFrog posted:

This is mentioned in a tutorial, IIRC. Hold down ctrl and it goes up to 10m/s, and you can increase that further with chipsets.
Maybe it's changed in newer versions but the controls (including shift to speed up) were onscreen pretty much the entire time I was in Zero-G so, at least under those same circumstances, I really don't know how anyone could miss it.

GlyphGryph posted:

Alex explicitly describes the Apex as a security system that was summoned directly as a result of you messing with the coral though
When?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

GlyphGryph posted:

Alex is a dumbass who doesn't know poo poo about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yay thread is gold. Nice.