Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I personally find questions of poetic translation more interesting than prose.

How to translate Dante is practically it's own field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Heath posted:

I think it's very interesting
For me, the answer to whether translation is worthwhile is yes, so I'm more interested in how we should translate than dwelling on what's lost.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just finished reading This Earth of Mankind and theres this interesting bit where the main character (a writer) is admonished by his mother for writing in Dutch and not his native javanese but he claims he doesn't know how to write beautifully in Javanese, only in Dutch, despite being a native speaker

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wonder what ee cummings looks like in translation

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
many years ago i tried to practice dutch at some touristy place in amsterdam (the rijksmuseum maybe?) and the ticket clerk admonished me in english "why are you trying to learn dutch, english is much more useful" and i've taken that lesson to heart ever since.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

klusums

.ir
p
utns

kas:lūk
ojas
mūsos

pa
griež;tas dzīvei,
sānu

(sastopamies pirms sniega

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
it's a different poem, basically, i think the meaning is quite different

here's the literal word-by-word translation back to english with the original English underneath
code:
silence                                                    

.is                                                         
a b                                                          
ird                                                             

which:loo                                                
ks at                                                                
us                                                            

tu                                                    
rns;to life,
its side                                                     

(we meet before the snow
code:
silence

.is
a
looking

bird:the

turn
ing;edge,of
life

(inquiry before snow

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 3, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What's the point? Everybody speaks English anyway.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lol if you haven't read the untranslated journey to the west

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

lol if you haven't read the extant linear a inscriptions

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

klusums

.ir
p
utns

kas:lūk
ojas
mūsos

pa
griež;tas dzīvei,
sānu

(sastopamies pirms sniega

In particular I am more interested in romance languages since the grammatical structure is much different

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm pretty sure English grammar is more similar to that of any Romance language than to that of Latvian

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I'm pretty sure English grammar is more similar to that of any Romance language than to that of Latvian

Actually I just looked up the grammatical breakdown and Latvian has more in common with Romance languages than it does with English. It even shares a few pronouns.

I never realized Baltic languages had a similar form of tense conjugation through suffixes, I assumed it would have borrowed more heavily from Germanic grammar.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It's good that you're interested in language but it sounds like you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

It's good that you're interested in language but it sounds like you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about

thanks Ras Het, noted linguist

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
English and Romance languages have much more in common with each other than with Baltic languages tbh. so much so that for us it might make sense to learn spanish via english, if you speak it well, as the sentence structures, use of articles, etc. are much more alike

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

English and Romance languages have much more in common with each other than with Baltic languages tbh. so much so that for us it might make sense to learn spanish via english, if you speak it well, as the sentence structures, use of articles, etc. are much more alike

Fair, but I was admittedly looking primarily at verb conjugation

For example, the imperative tense clearly works under a grammatical model closer to romance than germanic.

pre:
	es	tu	viņš / viņa	mēs	jūs	viņi / viņas
present
	lasu	lasi	lasa	        lasām	lasāt	lasa
past
	lasīju	lasīji	lasīja	        lasījām	lasījāt	lasīja
future
	lasīšu	lasīsi	lasīs	        lasīsim	lasīsiet lasīs

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 3, 2017

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
no man can stay my hand as i complete my fell quest to murder the duolingo owl.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You guys are reading texts? Upgrade to telepathy you loving plebes

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Tree Goat posted:

His name is Duo and his golden tracksuit makes him immortal

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Tree Goat posted:

many years ago i tried to practice dutch at some touristy place in amsterdam (the rijksmuseum maybe?) and the ticket clerk admonished me in english "why are you trying to learn dutch, english is much more useful" and i've taken that lesson to heart ever since.

That's a very Amsterdam thing. The default language for most service industry people there is English. They will respond to you English even if you're a native Dutch speaker speaking Dutch to them. This is not representative of the rest of the Netherlands and Flanders.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

Good luck.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i only read books that feature a silhouetted man running down an alley on the cover. they can be pasted into google translate if needed

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I picked up The Book of Disquiet again. I bought it a few years ago and had to put it down because it was hitting close to home in an uncomfortable way. The book straddles this weird line between being crushingly sad and optimistic but melancholy.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Wow. They're going to translate the remaining six volumes of Solzhenitsyn's The Red Wheel. We got the first three volumes in the 70s and 80s, and it didn't look like we were going to get the rest. But apparently an anonymous donor is making it possible, and the next book comes out in November. Great news.

Source: https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2017/aug/22/solzhenitsyn-russian-revolution-epic-novel-the-red-wheel-complete-english-translation

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

I picked up The Book of Disquiet again. I bought it a few years ago and had to put it down because it was hitting close to home in an uncomfortable way. The book straddles this weird line between being crushingly sad and optimistic but melancholy.

it just got a writeup in the New Yorker

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I'm finishing Oblomov and I've liked all the parts where Oblomov stares at the ceiling hoping he wouldn't have to get up, but all of the "courting" scenes between various characters are insanely pointless and long and dumb and this book hasn't aged well

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

What translation of Oblomov?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Sir John Feelgood posted:

What translation of Oblomov?

The Penguin Classics one from the 50s

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i was gonna ask if there was a non fiction thread but then i found that there is a non fiction thread but the last post is from nearly a year ago and so what is actually the point of having a non fiction thread?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Ras Het posted:

The Penguin Classics one from the 50s
McDuff? Edit: I mean, Magarshack?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Sir John Feelgood posted:

McDuff? Edit: I mean, Magarshack?

Yeah Magarshack

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

fridge corn posted:

i was gonna ask if there was a non fiction thread but then i found that there is a non fiction thread but the last post is from nearly a year ago and so what is actually the point of having a non fiction thread?

Good threads about cool things always die see also poetry thread and hermeticism thread which are basicazlly the only 2 good threads that have ever been on this forum except maybe the Salinger thread

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fridge corn posted:

it's not like this drat forum has any taste in non fiction either

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Magarshack is a great translator.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A human heart posted:

it's not like this drat forum has any taste in non fiction either

Need a quit being a loving child and read some real non-fiction thread

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
maybe quit being a manchild and accept that people enjoy things other than the exact things you enjoy

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oops nvm sorry im impeding the spirit of the thread.

good day :tipshat:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

maybe quit being a manchild and accept that people enjoy things other than the exact things you enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I am the measure of all things.