Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tassie's population of approximately 500k is split mostly between Hobart (200k) and Launceston (100k) which are separated by a distance of approximately 200km.

The population of the Hunter Valley region has a population of approximately 600k, in a total area of approximately 30km2.

Having a Tassie team would be dumb, give one to Newcastle instead, is what I'm saying here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Chairchucker posted:

Tassie's population of approximately 500k is split mostly between Hobart (200k) and Launceston (100k) which are separated by a distance of approximately 200km.

The population of the Hunter Valley region has a population of approximately 600k, in a total area of approximately 30km2.

Having a Tassie team would be dumb, give one to Newcastle instead, is what I'm saying here.
Oh you mean the city around the same size as the Gold Coast that's more interested in league yeah that'd work.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Get away from Lynch and May you goddamn vultures. *waves stick*

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Deadly Hume posted:

Oh you mean the city around the same size as the Gold Coast that's more interested in league yeah that'd work.

The League team sucks they're easy converts!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Just heard on SEN that Gold Coast have asked Hodge to put the boots on next year as a player/coach

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
If it's on SEN it's probably bullshit specially concocted in a laboratory to generate the maximum number of talkback calls

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

If it's on SEN it's probably bullshit specially concocted in a laboratory to generate the maximum number of talkback calls

No doubt. It was "reported" by that Sammy guy with the poo poo haircut that Mark Evans made contact with Hodge.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
When was the last time there was a player/coach at the top level?

Edit: Malcolm Blight, 1981

Forum Joe fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 3, 2017

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Sam McLure’s dartboard is at it again

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Forum Joe posted:

When was the last time there was a player/coach at the top level?

Edit: Malcolm Blight, 1981

I am pretty sure Dean Brogan and James MacDonald were player/assistant coaches when they came over to GWS, would probably be a similar role that the Suns are looking for in Hodge.

Fox footy is reporting it as well so the story is getting legs.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hodge is going to mentor Toby Greene on being an ever better bloke.

EDIT lol I mixed up my expansion teams what a maroon

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Retired Hawk Luke Hodge has responded to a report that he was “seriously considering” an offer to join Gold Coast in 2018.

The report was aired on SEN radio this morning.

“When I got in the car this morning, I had about 15 text messages going ‘What’s going on?’,” Hodgey said on the Better on Paper podcast with David Zita.

“My reply was ‘What the hell are you talking about?',” Hodge said.

“I think the connection there as far as (Gold Coast goes) is (Suns CEO) Mark Evans”

Hodge went onto say he spoke to Evans ahead of his 300th and ran into him following his final game in Round 23.

"I rang him for my 300th where we were having a bit of a function afterwards and I wanted to know if he wanted to come down because he's been a big apart of my footy career."

"So that's the two times I've seen him in the last 8 weeks. It was a big a shock to me as anyone.”

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/luke-hodge-responds-to-gold-coast-rumour

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Accreditation revoked

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Accreditation revoked

This should seriously happen if media goes public without contacting the player/club to get a comment on a story/bullshit rumour.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
IF Hodgey goes to the Suns next year....

...THEN he will be a Suns player in 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
big if true

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Accreditation revoked

We can only live in hope

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Periphery posted:

This should seriously happen if media goes public without contacting the player/club to get a comment on a story/bullshit rumour.

No it shouldn't and anyone who bought into that stupid loving narrative needs to have their licence to comment on any footy story revoked

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tayla Harris reclaimed the mantle of best women's player in the country in the state of origin game, says Gerard Whately, and really the only reason she lost it was due to media presure, and nothing at all to do with Erin Phillips being a boss the entire season, or with Harris returning home to the one true football city of Melbourne for next season.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
She was good but the injury scare meant she held back from a few contests.

Watch her get knocked out in boxing sometime before preseason begins. If she wins us a premiership it'll be good. Otherwise losong Nat Exon and Bella Ayre for her cost too much, then throw in (out) Bianca Jakobson because the afl didn't want a stacked team... Tayla Harris will have cost too much.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Shmoses posted:

No it shouldn't and anyone who bought into that stupid loving narrative needs to have their licence to comment on any footy story revoked

Yeah, I see no problem with the media having no accountability l and being able to report whatever bullshit they want without any consequences. What kind of an idiot would want to high quality journalism to be the norm.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shmoses posted:

Then these bullshit rumours need to be reported as gossip, rather than some garbage "breaking story" if they've got no solid evidence to back it up.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Periphery posted:

Yeah, I see no problem with the media having no accountability l and being able to report whatever bullshit they want without any consequences. What kind of an idiot would want to high quality journalism to be the norm.

So what punitive measures are you proposing for clubs when they lie about stories? Because they are by far the biggest proponents of misinformation in the media

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Shmoses posted:

So what punitive measures are you proposing for clubs when they lie about stories? Because they are by far the biggest proponents of misinformation in the media

If a journalist prints lies told to them by a club then they're just doing their job and the club should be punished in some way for misleading the press

If a journalist makes up a rumour out of whole cloth and prints it then they need to be punished in some way for misleading the public

It's pretty straightforward

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

thepokey posted:

IF Hodgey goes to the Suns next year....

...THEN he will be a Suns player in 2018

return of the captain-coach

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Shmoses posted:

Agreed, it does the footy world a lot of good to have an unaccountable media manufacturing click bait out of whole cloth. Can't wait for Ross Lyon's magpies (assisted by Hird of course) to crush Hodgey's Suns next year.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Surely in the free market of ideas and information, the journos who make poo poo up will lose credibility and their careers will naturally suffer as a result.

*pause for laughter*

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Shmoses, are you Hutchy or Robbo?

Damo??

realbez fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 5, 2017

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Look Shmoses is just trying to grow the game mate, the people have a right to know.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

realbez posted:

Damo??

I'm still convinced he's Damien Barrett

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Periphery posted:

I don't know why you think the media isn't held accountable. A journo out there straight up peddling lies finds himself unable to find work real quick - see Tony Sheahan who's had to invent an alter-ego as some in the know Trade Whisperer to maintain any form of relevance. Plus there's the relentless scrutiny from the public.

Further, I don't know why people think revoking accreditation is some kind of brutal punishment or would even stop the poo poo takes. All accreditation is good for basically is a free ticket to the game, it doesn't give you licence to get your columns published.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

realbez posted:

Damo??

I drink like Robbo

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Shmoses posted:

I don't know why you think the media isn't held accountable. A journo out there straight up peddling lies finds himself unable to find work real quick - see Tony Sheahan who's had to invent an alter-ego as some in the know Trade Whisperer to maintain any form of relevance. Plus there's the relentless scrutiny from the public.

Further, I don't know why people think revoking accreditation is some kind of brutal punishment or would even stop the poo poo takes. All accreditation is good for basically is a free ticket to the game, it doesn't give you licence to get your columns published.

I agree that revoking accreditation for liars is dumb, but the idea that making poo poo up is a bad career move for football journos is laughable. It’s the only way to fill airwaves and column inches when nothing else is happening.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

racing identity posted:

I agree that revoking accreditation for liars is dumb, but the idea that making poo poo up is a bad career move for football journos is laughable. It’s the only way to fill airwaves and column inches when nothing else is happening.

Its possible to write an article about football without resorting to making up poo poo. If its a slow week, there has to be some sort of indepth analysis you could do. poo poo, just look at humes graphs and discuss them for a week.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Alternatively, Andrew Walker has a spiffing new hat

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

Its possible to write an article about football without resorting to making up poo poo. If its a slow week, there has to be some sort of indepth analysis you could do. poo poo, just look at humes graphs and discuss them for a week.

Sounds like work...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Shmoses posted:

I know Damian Barrett has been essentially banned from Essendon's facilities and a couple of other clubs as well which could well affect his job prospects later on down the track. I guess the issue for me is that there's no public accountability for them that says loud and clear that 'journalist' X published a load of shite. Maybe it doesn't need to be in the form of losing accreditation (although if all it is is a free ticket then what is the big deal about losing it??), but there really should be some kind of black mark that can be put against journalists name that the public can know about.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I suspect a lot of the serial bullshit artists don't actually have much in depth knowledge of the game and resort of bullshit because any analysis they do will be shot to pieces. Or it's too hard.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

I know Damian Barrett has been essentially banned from Essendon's facilities and a couple of other clubs as well which could well affect his job prospects later on down the track.
I don't think Barrett would be too worried about job prospects - he works for the AFL, Crocmedia, Triple M and Nine. He's fine.

quote:

I guess the issue for me is that there's no public accountability for them that says loud and clear that 'journalist' X published a load of shite. Maybe it doesn't need to be in the form of losing accreditation (although if all it is is a free ticket then what is the big deal about losing it??), but there really should be some kind of black mark that can be put against journalists name that the public can know about.
Like I said, these blokes don't keep jobs or they end up recycling rumours on SEN to fill content (hello Greg Denham). The reason your Barrett and Caro types have such huge platforms is that they've proved their name over a long time covering the game, have nailed heaps of stories and have impeccable contacts.

quote:

I suspect a lot of the serial bullshit artists don't actually have much in depth knowledge of the game and resort of bullshit because any analysis they do will be shot to pieces. Or it's too hard.
This is a fair point, there genuinely isn't many good analysts getting around at all.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

I know Damian Barrett has been essentially banned from Essendon's facilities and a couple of other clubs as well which could well affect his job prospects later on down the track. I guess the issue for me is that there's no public accountability for them that says loud and clear that 'journalist' X published a load of shite. Maybe it doesn't need to be in the form of losing accreditation (although if all it is is a free ticket then what is the big deal about losing it??), but there really should be some kind of black mark that can be put against journalists name that the public can know about.

I know he has been banned from the Saints and the doggies, not sure about any other club but if he is slagging you off more then usual its likely he has been barred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Capitalism has corrupted journalistic ethics and integrity, news at 11, but cheering on the AFL revoking accreditation from journalists it has determined are lying, according to its own well documented internal measure of truth and fiction, is not the answer either.

About politics rather than football, but still applicable: Ian Hislop said it best in his testimony to the Leveson Inquiry "I think if the state regulates the press, then the press no longer regulates the state, and that is an unfortunate state of affairs"

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 5, 2017

• Locked thread