Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I don't understand why any idiot would want to renounce their citizenship. What would you gain from it? Just leave your dumb citizenship alone and go get another one if you really want. No need for a really cool social statement.

Speaking of American customs, going through Charlotte Douglas was a piece of cake in my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

rear end posted:

I don't understand why any idiot would want to renounce their citizenship. What would you gain from it? Just leave your dumb citizenship alone and go get another one if you really want. No need for a really cool social statement.

If you've moved your life completely to another country that doesn't allow dual citizenship? There might be a bunch of benefits to being a citizen of your new country that you can't access until you become a citizen, and that process might require giving up whatever citizenship you already hold.

As someone already alluded to, Australia is having a comical crisis where politicians who hold dual-citizenship are ineligible to be in parliament. A whole bunch of politicians are discovering that they're accidentally dual-citizens without even knowing; eg because my dad was born in the UK, that makes me a British citizen as well until I formally renounce it. Even if I've never known about it or done anything with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are super rich people who renounce American citizenship to avoid taxes but otherwise yeah it's a whole range of options to throw away for no benefit.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

mansplaining.txt

Did you just assume my gender?!

rear end posted:

Speaking of American customs, going through Charlotte Douglas was a piece of cake in my case.

Grand Fromage posted:

There are super rich people who renounce American citizenship to avoid taxes but otherwise yeah it's a whole range of options to throw away for no benefit.

Meeeh you have to do paperwork, and also the current point at which you need to start paying additional taxes is just over 100k/year, so you don't really have to be "super rich", just middle management or in a high paying job. There are programmers and investment bankers and the like that make that their first year of work.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If youve moved abroad and earn money not in the us and pay tax elsewhere the US still taxes your foreign earnings, I've been told

Seems like a good reason to give citizenship up if true

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Giving up US citizenship is only worth it if you plan on living longer than another 10 years! !

Btw I know a Japanese-American guy who had to renounce his Japanese citizenship to qualify for the JET program.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

simplefish posted:

If youve moved abroad and earn money not in the us and pay tax elsewhere the US still taxes your foreign earnings, I've been told

Seems like a good reason to give citizenship up if true

They tax earnings over $106,000, like Limburg said. If you're making enough to pay American taxes you should shut the gently caress up and count your blessings and contribute. The people I'm talking about who are renouncing citizenship are the ones trying to hide hundreds of millions of dollars and not pay taxes on it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Grand Fromage posted:

They tax earnings over $106,000, like Limburg said. If you're making enough to pay American taxes you should shut the gently caress up and count your blessings and contribute. The people I'm talking about who are renouncing citizenship are the ones trying to hide hundreds of millions of dollars and not pay taxes on it.

If I'm earning a poo poo ton of money outside the us then im not gonna pay a dime on a technicality

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Wow, I don't care as much about this rather small aspect of my life as you guys seem to.

The Great Autismo! posted:

mansplaining.txt

I don't think all men want to be lumped in with people like LimburgLimbo; that's not fair!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Did you just assume my gender?!
Lol :xd: Meeeh

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I thought if you lived outside of the States for more than two years you could fill out some paperwork that would make you exempt from paying taxes (until you moved back, that is).

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Wow, I don't care as much about this rather small aspect of my life as you guys seem to.

I don't think all men want to be lumped in with people like LimburgLimbo; that's not fair!

What country are you trying to be a citizen (or not a dual citizen) of?

Also, that 14 year old said he was being recruited, said he would get 100 grand after the thing in China, and ALSO the company would pay for his college (Stanford?). I wonder what happened to all that? Hmm...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

nickmeister posted:

What country are you trying to be a citizen (or not a dual citizen) of?

Dual US/UK. I'm also eligible for Greek citizenship but I haven't researched the process yet. Would be nice to dodge Brexit, though.

If you make under $80,000 USD a year, you don't need to pay taxes on overseas earnings as far as I know. Not claiming to be an expert.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Dual US/UK. I'm also eligible for Greek citizenship but I haven't researched the process yet. Would be nice to dodge Brexit, though.

If you make under $80,000 USD a year, you don't need to pay taxes on overseas earnings as far as I know. Not claiming to be an expert.

Bickering and pendatry aside; you say you're not sure so am I to take it that you maybe haven't been filing? Be careful because the exception only works as long as you file for it. If you haven't done it it's probably still not too late to backfile a whole bunch, but if they start to audit you then apparently you can't use the exemption and need to pay normal tax rate for all the years you missed.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Trump running face game on China

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/904307898213433344

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Assume greek citizenship for maximum profit. UK citizenship sounds like a pretty useless thing now that they leave the EU.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

nickmeister posted:

I thought if you lived outside of the States for more than two years you could fill out some paperwork that would make you exempt from paying taxes (until you moved back, that is).

No. You just don't have to pay anything unless you're making a lot of money. There are also various tax treaties with some countries. For an example, as an American working in certain fields you don't have to pay South Korean taxes the first two years you live there.

If you're raking in the cash then you have to start investigating tax haven islands and law loopholes and poo poo if you want to evade taxes.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It goes up every year a little bit. For 2016 i think it was like 104k USD or so? You can also usually exempt all or part of the income taxes you pay in the country you're in from the US taxes you would owe depending on the tax treaty, so the actual "you gotta pay America" amount is even higher than that usually.

Filing FBAR every year is more annoying than the taxes imo, tho.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

No. You just don't have to pay anything unless you're making a lot of money. There are also various tax treaties with some countries. For an example, as an American working in certain fields you don't have to pay South Korean taxes the first two years you live there.

If you're raking in the cash then you have to start investigating tax haven islands and law loopholes and poo poo if you want to evade taxes.

Invest your money in gold. Wait until North Korea starts talking poo poo. Sell everything

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

honestly expected them to loop around the cart a couple times while making three stooges noises

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://fat.gfycat.com/ThankfulDangerousAnaconda.webm

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Son of Rodney posted:

Lmao of course america fleeces it's citizens even when they are trying to get out

The expat tax only applies to these groups:

The IRS posted:

Your average annual net income tax for the 5 years ending before the date of expatriation or termination of residency is more than a specified amount that is adjusted for inflation ($151,000 for 2012, $155,000 for 2013, $157,000 for 2014, and $160,000 for 2015).

Your net worth is $2 million or more on the date of your expatriation or termination of residency.

You fail to certify on Form 8854 that you have complied with all U.S. federal tax obligations for the 5 years preceding the date of your expatriation or termination of residency.

It's entirely designed to keep wealthy people from ditching to avoid taxes without paying at least some of their obligation. Much like the estate tax, this tax doesn't come close to touching average americans.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
cool discussion

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 3, 2017

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

citizenship is bullshit anyway

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I am a free citizen of the world

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
If any of you want to renounce their US citizenship please send it my way. I'll gladly accept it.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

rear end posted:

From what I understand Americans still have to pay income tax even if they don't actually live in the US. That seems like a lovely deal to me, especially because AFAIK no other nation on the planet requires this from their citizens. Edit: that got cleared up, see above and below posts

Also, what if you've lived most of your life in another country and don't really feel like you're part of that culture anymore?
My parents are from Spain and I've lived my entire life in Germany, other than the expense and hassle I see little reason to keep my Spanish citizenship. In fact I might be entitled to dual citizenship, but just the thought of having to go through the renewal process for my Spanish passport every ten years has led me to consider to just get the German nationality and be done with it. At least I'll finally be able to vote in a place that matters to me.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 4, 2017

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lollerich posted:

From what I understand Americans still have to pay income tax even if they don't actually live in the US. That seems like a lovely deal to me, especially because AFAIK no other nation on the planet requires this from their citizens.

Russians are technically required to pay up to 100% tax on any overseas earnings/holdings.

Enforcement is of course, entirely discretionary.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

As a Mexican:

rear end posted:

If any of you want to renounce their US citizenship please send it my way. I'll gladly accept it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
As said above, the annoying things for me as an expat are not paying taxes (as I don't earn enough as a teacher to come anywhere near the threshold) but all the dumb paperwork I have to file just because I'm American. Getting married was a terrible move and now I know why so many people overseas have a ceremony, but don't ever sign the paperwork.

Basically, as soon as I married my wife, who is far more responsible with money than I am, I gained a stake in her savings, and so now must report the existence of all of her bank accounts to the IRS. The intent of course is to prevent wealthy expats from hiding money in their spouses' accounts, but this is the one time the net is very wide. Additionally, whenever I open a bank account I have to go through a bunch of extra paperwork so that the foreign bank can report my activity to the IRS if necessary. Even small rear end local Thai banks with no international ambitions comply with IRS regulations.

This has led to all sorts of fun conversations.

"Please give us your permanent address in the US."
"I don't have one."
"But you are American."
"I left in 2008."
"So what was your address when you left?"
"The building was literally demolished." (this is true)
"What is your parents' address?"
"My parents are dead." (not true, but I wanted to see what would happen)
*looks at passport, notices Place of Birth is Maine* "Your permanent address is Maine."

That at least worked to get the account open. Then I lost my ATM card and wanted to apply for a replacement.

"What is your permanent address."
"Maine."
*stares at screen for a long time, presses buttons on computer, calls manager* "No. The system has rejected it."
*repeat conversation from above*

Eventually I just caved and gave them my parents' address, but it's super loving frustrating because there's no system in place for if I really didn't have an address I could put down. It would be possible for me to have cut all ties with my family and friends back in the States, but I couldn't do any banking overseas without an address. It's in situations like these I'm tempted to give out 1600 Pennsylvania Ave as my address.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

We suffer too. Any account I open over here I have to tell the US hovernment what I'm doing and that I'm not a US citizen, even though neither I nor the account has anything to do with America

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This is the first I've heard of any of this, I've never filled out any kind of America-related paperwork to do anything in Asia unless you count visa/passport stuff.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the first I've heard of any of this, I've never filled out any kind of America-related paperwork to do anything in Asia unless you count visa/passport stuff.

Recently when I opened an account in Singapore I needed to provide my SSN so they can send the info to the US. Generally speaking banks now have to report the accounts of any US citizens

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

Seriously? The FBAR stuff is more recent, I think coming into affect around 2013? Basically if any foreign account(s) you are a stakeholder in have a combined value of over $10,000USD you must report the existence of all of your foreign assets. This isn't a tax. It's self-reporting. So for instance my friend worked for a Japanese company that had factories in Bangkok. As their man on the ground, he was a signatory on their bank accounts in Thailand and so he had to report the existence of those bank accounts annually to the IRS. It wasn't even his money, he just had access to it. It's not totally onerous. You go to the website, fill in the information, and submit it. Repeat once a year.

There's another one that I haven't qualified for yet that is something like $50,000USD in foreign assets.

The other stuff is if you open a new bank account and every account I've applied for in Thailand and Taiwan in the last few years has had the paperwork.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I've never had to do anything of the sort in Korea or China and I've opened several accounts in both. I know about the FBAR but I don't have anything close to $10,000 so it doesn't matter.

senbe1
May 16, 2005
Oh mon Dieu !

angel opportunity posted:

cool discussion

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Recently when I opened an account in Singapore I needed to provide my SSN so they can send the info to the US. Generally speaking banks now have to report the accounts of any US citizens

And as I said, also the accounts of non-us citizens it seems (in cas I'm lying about not being a US tax resident I guess?). I don't like foreign governments gathering data on me, but Team America gonna World Police

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I've never had to do anything of the sort in Korea or China and I've opened several accounts in both. I know about the FBAR but I don't have anything close to $10,000 so it doesn't matter.

In HK at least it's regardless of account opening balance

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

where is SheepGoats or whatever his name was, that was transferring money from China to Canada and the US confiscated it en route?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't marry anyone responsible or manage a business's finances I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Don't marry anyone responsible or manage a business's finances I guess.

No danger of either of those happening :buddy:

• Locked thread