Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The times when people would get mercilessly berated for not using punctuation properly. Those were heady days.

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pre-2.0 GBS was as unreadable as it was today.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Star Man posted:

Because Lowtax thought that the forums became too serious and unfunny and wanted the jokes back.

I'm not making that up.

Which is kind of weird because the only parts of GBS that were ever consistently funny tended to be really high effort stuff.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Because Lowtax thought that the forums became too serious and unfunny and wanted the jokes back.

I'm not making that up.

He wasn't wrong.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
GBS before was full of overly sensitive people about some trite poo poo. I recall some people being more upset that someone would take their infant child to a movie theatre than they were at the shithead that shot the place up in Aurora.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I joined SA because of GBS thread.

This guy pretended to be retarded and drew pictures for his culligan water guy

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think GBS went to hell because its user base either matured or left the community. The remainder is what we have today.

I'm only 30 years old but I wouldn't have the energy or the desire to blow up someone's TV for stealing my cable rather than just confronting them on it.

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 3, 2017

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Boon posted:

GBS went to hell because its user base either matured or left the community. The remainder is what we have today.

I'm only 30 years old but I wouldn't have the energy or the desire to blow up someone's TV for stealing my cable rather than just confronting them on it.

The thing is that I remember GBS being moderated in such a manner that discouraged the absolutely low effort meta-trash that lives there now. Even if you were a sociopath or sperg, you were expected to use your words.

Games and D&D are the only OK things I guess because of the utilitarian nature of both, but GBS's demise is a real loving shame considering we already had FYAD/YOSPOS and all the other terribly unfunny meta-forums.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

osker posted:

The thing is that I remember GBS being moderated in such a manner that discouraged the absolutely low effort meta-trash that lives there now. Even if you were a sociopath or sperg, you were expected to use your words.

Games and D&D are the only OK things I guess because of the utilitarian nature of both, but GBS's demise is a real loving shame considering we already had FYAD/YOSPOS and all the other terribly unfunny meta-forums.

It was megathread trash at the end. Threads so huge you had zero opportunity to read through them all with enough comprehension to join the conversation. Except you were expected to do just that to even hope to join in on the conversation.

Really the pendulum swung from one end to the exact opposite other end.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

Guys, remember, we can't call the white supremacists and fascists Nazis. That's reserved for them to effectively utilize against their enemies to make sure the public remains dumb enough to think antifa is worse than people who want to murder the former.

CNN and Antifa are Nazis and Nazis are bad as everyone knows. Except for those guys carrying actual Swastika flags, doing Hitler salutes and trying to recreate the loving Nuremberg Rally with supplies form Home Depot. Those aren't Nazis at all.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

American exceptionalism is a hell of a drug.

(And has been for a long time -- the US has always been opposed to the International Criminal Court).

The US signed the treaty but has refused to ratify it. Those swarthy foreign international criminals are fair game but don't you go arresting fine Americans who are just following orders waterboarding freedom into people.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Irma's course swung south, with the eye now expected to go close to, or directly over, Puerto Rico or Hispaniola.

By this time tomorrow, it will be obvious whether or not Florida is in trouble.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

marshmonkey posted:

Pulled from FB

Do you have a link handy for this, cause it really needs to be shared (and my initial search isn't coming up roses).

Never mind, I was waaaaay behind.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 3, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
poo poo...I think SA almost hit 100k users back when DPPH and DPMH we’re driving traffic and now 10years later there are only 200k goons. And 80k of those are inactive from when the pirate boards closed down.

Dead gay forum, folks.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

glowing-fish posted:

Irma's course swung south, with the eye now expected to go close to, or directly over, Puerto Rico or Hispaniola.

By this time tomorrow, it will be obvious whether or not Florida is in trouble.

Gonna be interesting seeing Ted Cruz weasel his way through not giving aid to Florida if it gets hit.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Office Pig posted:

This is one of the projections for Irma.

Stronger than the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935!

:stonk:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Star Man posted:

GBS before was full of overly sensitive people about some trite poo poo. I recall some people being more upset that someone would take their infant child to a movie theatre than they were at the shithead that shot the place up in Aurora.

GBS has always been a proto-reddit in various ways

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Krispy Kareem posted:

JuCr's mad. poo poo that doesn't work unless both words have a vowel as their second character.

You should stop, if you have to abbreviate North Korea, there's already an acceptable choice, DPRK.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

I think confederate statues might be hurricane beacons.

i don't see any hurricanes in erie pa :colbert:

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Mustached Demon posted:

It was megathread trash at the end. Threads so huge you had zero opportunity to read through them all with enough comprehension to join the conversation. Except you were expected to do just that to even hope to join in on the conversation.

Really the pendulum swung from one end to the exact opposite other end.

I'll queue up Frank Sinatra's "Cycles" and remember that one NYC goon meet where a dude was put in a tub so he could puke over himself and pass out in peace.

Back on topic though, Arkema's claim that they withholding information due to terrorism concerns is horseshit. I can't even begin to count the number of infrastructure projects I've worked on where every chickenshit local agency makes you get their own "security" clearance to look or produce drawings/reports and labeling information as sensitive so you can't FOIL information about the projects. Sometimes it is warranted, but when you're calling handicap access elevators into a rail station sensitive then you're in :jerkbag: territory.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

It's not at all a given that SK would immediately side with the US if we attacked NK.

This poll:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

osker posted:

I'll queue up Frank Sinatra's "Cycles" and remember that one NYC goon meet where a dude was put in a tub so he could puke over himself and pass out in peace.

My personal favorite of these types of threads was keyboard goop: the ultimate banme thread.

osker posted:

Back on topic though, Arkema's claim that they withholding information due to terrorism concerns is horseshit. I can't even begin to count the number of infrastructure projects I've worked on where every chickenshit local agency makes you get their own "security" clearance to look or produce drawings/reports and labeling information as sensitive so you can't FOIL information about the projects. Sometimes it is warranted, but when you're calling handicap access elevators into a rail station sensitive then you're in :jerkbag: territory.

I accept their reasoning that withholding information due to terrorism concerns is OK if your plant's storing doom chemicals. However, they aren't storing doom chemicals anymore. The public deserves to know what horrid death approaches at the very least.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress does "attack Japan" mean in that poll? I'm assuming it means "cheer while North Korea attacks Japan" and not "Join with our brothers in the North to gently caress all these people interfering with our peninsula.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

What the gently caress does "attack Japan" mean in that poll? I'm assuming it means "cheer while North Korea attacks Japan" and not "Join with our brothers in the North to gently caress all these people interfering with our peninsula.

Koreans really hate Japan

it kind of unifies them all

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What the gently caress does "attack Japan" mean in that poll?

It means attack Japan.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I joined SA because of GBS thread.

This guy pretended to be retarded and drew pictures for his culligan water guy

Mr. Water.

A legend.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Attack Japan" shows up on every South Korean poll as a joke/comedy answer.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FuturePastNow posted:

Koreans really hate Japan

it kind of unifies them all

Yeah iirc they've had wars on and off going back thousands of years, one time in particular Japan was only saved by a big storm that sank most of the invading fleet.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Zoro posted:

How would they even know?

What kept happening was people were posting dogwhistles and other things offensive towards POC, then a poster of color would call them out on it, and then when the argument ensued 9 times out of 10 it was the poster of color who ate the probation/ban. For example there was one person who kept using the phrase "the blacks" even after repeatedly being asked not to by a black (ex?) regular, who then got probated for getting angry about it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I think that pic is fake

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Julio Cruz posted:

What kept happening was people were posting dogwhistles and other things offensive towards POC, then a poster of color would call them out on it, and then when the argument ensued 9 times out of 10 it was the poster of color who ate the probation/ban. For example there was one person who kept using the phrase "the blacks" even after repeatedly being asked not to by a black (ex?) regular, who then got probated for getting angry about it.

That's just deplorable. Has the modding team changed significantly since then or should I be afraid of being Latino here?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Zoro posted:

That's just deplorable. Has the modding team changed significantly since then or should I be afraid of being Latino here?

probably best to just not post for a few years, to be on the safe side

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/904305388304175104

White House lawyer Ty Cobb, folks!

edit:
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/904491216728969216

:psypop:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

coyo7e posted:

Yeah iirc they've had wars on and off going back thousands of years, one time in particular Japan was only saved by a big storm that sank most of the invading fleet.

Well, that was the Mongols, twice, in the form of Yuan Dynasty China + other territories including Korea. Koreans were also probably responsible for a rise in Chinese literacy and Buddhism in Japan, most likely in the form of important nobles fleeing the fall of a Korean kingdom. I've no idea the historical reasons for the feud on the Japanese side but on the Korean side of things, Toyotomi Hideyoshi launched a failed invasion of Korea and Imperial Japan conquered Korea and ruled it like complete assholes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Argas posted:

Well, that was the Mongols, twice, in the form of Yuan Dynasty China + other territories including Korea. Koreans were also probably responsible for a rise in Chinese literacy and Buddhism in Japan, most likely in the form of important nobles fleeing the fall of a Korean kingdom. I've no idea the historical reasons for the feud on the Japanese side but on the Korean side of things, Toyotomi Hideyoshi launched a failed invasion of Korea and Imperial Japan conquered Korea and ruled it like complete assholes.
Oh huh, thanks for informing me! :)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

is that good or bad? for us i mean.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

That looks like a lovely box of papers to shred.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

I've never heard of him before. Was he important? Also, I'm amazed they literally put all his poo poo in a box. Isn't that a security risk at the White house?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zoro posted:

I've never heard of him before. Was he important? Also, I'm amazed they literally put all his poo poo in a box. Isn't that a security risk at the White house?

I believe Schiller was, ironically, the guy Trump sent to fire people.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zoro posted:

Trump's longtime bodyguard and the guy he used to fire people, including Comey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Also, Ogmius, you got the underline in recognition of your tireless arguments for not beating up Nazis.

• Locked thread