Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it just occurred to me that a huge part of the population born after ~2000 is going to have no idea that there were two iraq wars because they occurred ten years apart under presidents named Bush and were fought against the same leader

I know someone who is thirty now who a few years back was listening to the biggie track where he says blow up like the world trade and she said "he predicted that poo poo", not realising it had been bombed before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

an actual dog posted:

I refuse to believe that a netflix show is good. They've all been so bad.

Season 3 of Narcos rules hard amigo

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

what about the first two?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an actual dog posted:

what about the first two?

First one is fantastic, second is okay but doesn't reach the same highs

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I just can't buy into the miserable ennui of being a rich Hollywood person whose greatest hardship in life is all the sex and drugs he gets to do.

Yeah the dude basically has no excuse not to be happy, what's his deal

Seriously did you actually watch the show or just the trailers

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
lmfao if you don't love bojack horseman. wtf.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Pener's post was all like 'I guess I just don't enjoy Breaking Bad because I can't buy into the story of a dude deciding to sell drugs'

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My phone autocorrects Pener to Owner, it can smell a bourgeoise sentiment

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

"LOTR isn't realistic enough for me, an elf working with a dwarf? Puhleeeeease"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crane Fist posted:

Yeah the dude basically has no excuse not to be happy, what's his deal

Seriously did you actually watch the show or just the trailers

I watched the whole first season and it made me pray for a new Red Guard to smother the old world.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I watched the whole first season and it made me pray for a new Red Guard to smother the old world.

Your life has been comfortably bourgeois enough that you fail to recognise alienation and depression through the obscuring layers of wealth and empty hedonism. Your class consciousness is insufficiently rigorous. 10 years in Siberia

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

extremely interested in what the horse man cartoon can teach us about post-capitalism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crane Fist posted:

Your life has been comfortably bourgeois enough that you fail to recognise alienation and depression through the obscuring layers of wealth and empty hedonism. Your class consciousness is insufficiently rigorous. 10 years in Siberia

Oh I'm an alienated millionaire with friends and showbusiness connections. I could do whatever I wanted for the rest of my life if I just sold my house and got the gently caress out of Hollywood but what I really want is validation from an amorphous mass public :qq:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

imagine being so hosed up on capitalism that the only form of self-worth you can even recognize is derived from wealth lmao

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Oh I'm an alienated millionaire with friends and showbusiness connections. I could do whatever I wanted for the rest of my life if I just sold my house and got the gently caress out of Hollywood but what I really want is validation from an amorphous mass public :qq:

Wait are we talking about the same show? Did you get confused and watch a bunch of episodes of Entourage?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the show I watched it seemed like the whole point was that fame is an illusion, wealth is meaningless, nothing that you're supposed to aspire to will save you from the howling void within yourself

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crane Fist posted:

I mean the show I watched it seemed like the whole point was that fame is an illusion, wealth is meaningless, nothing that you're supposed to aspire to will save you from the howling void within yourself

I fill that void with the immortal science of Marxist-Leninism

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I fill it with alcohol, this might explain our differing perspectives on TV

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Same but dick

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the void fills me with the immortal science of Marxist-Leninism

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I fill the void of Marx with my big ol dong

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Fallen Hamprince posted:

imagine being so hosed up on capitalism that the only form of self-worth you can even recognize is derived from wealth lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Crane Fist posted:

a catastrophically liberal worldview and show

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Crane Fist posted:

Sounds like you identify with a basic bitch, and as a basic bitch yourself, live vicariously through him.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A basic bitch about to be materialistic as gently caress

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Sounds like you identify with a basic bitch, and as a basic bitch yourself, live vicariously through him.

I don't even know what that means and I'm not about to google it

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/849276093932732417

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Hillary isn't quite Putin, but she's the closest the Dems have in terms of cult of personality

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Except Putin actually won.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
And can actually get away with murder

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MizPiz posted:

And can actually get away with murder

Hillary has gotten away with all of her murders too. :colbert:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

freckle posted:

Hillary has gotten away with all of her murders too. :colbert:

You're right, I've made a fool of myself.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lmao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Which again is less than 1% of cases, and they gained their power through illiberal paramilitary means, not through speech.

Uh, are you sure this number checks out? Because I kinda doubt there have been hundreds of countries that made any sort genuine effort to preserve free speech and not either devolved into fascism or otherwise collapsed.

Are you including places with hate speech laws? Because I think you're gonna have a hard time arguing why hate speech is somehow intrinsically different from stuff like white nationalist political speech. And even then I really doubt "1%" is actually accurate.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dumbledore was also a terrible person. He used people like pawns on a chessboard, manipulated them to die for him. He'S basically a fantasy version of George Smiley.

wait harry potter is good again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

a primate posted:

Hillary isn't quite Putin, but she's the closest the Dems have in terms of cult of personality

i don't think Clinton actually has a cult of personality outside of consultants trying to get hired