Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SaltyJesus posted:

aw hell no, who took Chad Thundercock's good name in vain?!

This is completely normal for internet virgins shitposting from their basements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
that was intended to be a joke in the r/incels thread, your previous comment threw me off for a second and I thought I was replying there

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ianmacdo posted:

They didn't say they will not be sexist.

They just said they will be LESS sexist than UBER.

Talk about damning with faint praise. "We're gonna be more legit than Capone!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Regarding Juiceros man he was the guy that was like "How can you measure energy? How can you measure ki?" as an explanation for why he didn't have exact figures for why his juicer made super nutritious way better juice than anything else? I forget was he a total bullshit man or did he really believe his own hype about it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neo Rasa posted:

Regarding Juiceros man he was the guy that was like "How can you measure energy? How can you measure ki?" as an explanation for why he didn't have exact figures for why his juicer made super nutritious way better juice than anything else? I forget was he a total bullshit man or did he really believe his own hype about it?

Yes he truly does believe that cold-pressed juice magically maintains extra life force, which is why it should be had instead of normal juices. That was why he'd run a chain of cold-pressed juice bar places (which failed) before he started Juicero.

It is exactly the same as like, most people who run an organic food company or store. They really have bought into it being inherently good most of the time.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/pomeranian99/status/903634705119154177

We're still a ways away from depending on algorithms and cutting human interpretation completely out of the equation, though even the human interpretation at Google doesn't seem to be too bright.

What are the chances that the "rep" was a robot too?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Klyith posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHi_h823OT0

[clipped solely for length]
Single girl, single girl
Don't buy that juice machine
Oh single girl, single girl
Don't buy that juice machine
Just wait till you get married
Then give your man soy protein
And you'll go all around this world

:perfect:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/02/technology/silicon-valley-teachers-tech.html

Third graders using instagram, SV sponsored equipment, hashtags on the walls, nothing to be concerned about here

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/williamslauram/status/902573827292401664

yeeeesh

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

Third graders using instagram, SV sponsored equipment, hashtags on the walls, nothing to be concerned about here

Ok, but what is actually meant to be concerning here? Are hashtags going to give us all cancer?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

The broader issue is SV influence in the public education system.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

The broader issue is SV influence in the public education system.

Hasn't really done much since it started in a big way in the 90s.

My elementary school had plenty of branding and stuff from Microsoft and a bunch of Web bubble companies that didn't survive until I finished middle school. At some point (i think 3rd grade?) we'd gotten some of those Sony Mavica cameras that used floppy disks donated in the name of some company with their logo stickers on them, and used them to post to several different websites that were also long dead by middle school. Eventually those cameras got taken out of regular classrooms and passed up to high school for the school newspaper and yearbook employees to use.

All these things are just going to end up forgotten or not making much of a change in the actual teaching/performance of students, frankly.

Edit: Like it's a story that's been going on for many decades at this point. Random company decides they're going to Make A Big Difference in Education. Things get arranged so anywhere from one classroom to a state's worth of schools get a bunch of free/heavily discounted equipment and devices and software. Whatever big thing they thought they'd get never materializes, the devices/software continues to get used until they stop working, people move on. And probably another Big Thing has been dropped in in the meantime.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 3, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Whenever people complain about Google monopoly power I just lean back and blow a kiss at my homies, the European union.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Near the top they mention a specific issue about transparency:

quote:

Many public schools are facing tight budgets, and administrators, including the principal at Ms. Delzer’s school, said they welcomed potentially valuable free technology and product training. Even so, some education experts warned that company incentives might influence teachers to adopt promoted digital tools over rival products or even traditional approaches, like textbooks.

“Teachers can’t help but be seduced to make greater use of the technology, given these efforts by tech companies,” said Samuel E. Abrams, director of the National Center for the Study of Privatization in Education at Teachers College, Columbia University.

Public-school teachers who accept perks, meals or anything of value in exchange for using a company’s products in their classrooms could also run afoul of school district ethics policies or state laws regulating government employees.

“Any time you are paying a public employee to promote a product in the public classroom without transparency, then that’s problematic,” said James E. Tierney, a former attorney general of Maine who is a lecturer at Harvard Law School. “Should attorneys general be concerned about this practice? The answer is yes.”

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

Near the top they mention a specific issue about transparency:

That's a longstanding issues with school "donations" and has nothing to do with silicon valley. The particular focus of that article is only getting away with it because she teaches at very small school (less than 200 students) in a town with less than 1000 people in North Dakota.

But also the idea of "some education experts warned that company incentives might influence teachers to adopt promoted digital tools over rival products or even traditional approaches, like textbooks." right there - that is very much the point of why these things happen. But why should we care that the school is choosing to use that one particular digital tool in the first place as an inherent thing? Are those tools being promoted actually inferior to other digital tools? Hell the "traditional textbook" that might get replaced was usually chosen in the first place because that textbook publisher pulled the same sort of trick a while back.

And on the matter of the fact that in some jurisdictions accepting the free stuff outside of the proper process is illegal, well yeah, they should get punished for that. But that's again got nothing to do with anything silicon valley.

Edit: Like again it's obvious from your first post about it: "Third graders using instagram, SV sponsored equipment, hashtags on the walls, nothing to be concerned about here ". There's not even anything conceivably bad about hashtags on walls, unless they were like actively hateful messages, but then you'd say "oh they've put racist messages on the walls" not OMG HASHTAGS. The worst thing that's going to happen out of that is that hashtags might be laughably outdated in 15 years when those kids are going to college and looking at their old photos. You're just vaguely upset about "computers in schools article #50000"

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 3, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

namaste faggots posted:

Whenever people complain about Google monopoly power I just lean back and blow a kiss at my homies, the European union.

but then they do stuff like sue Google for not including EU based aggregators, cause when I search for something, what I want is other search engines.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
nah

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

fishmech posted:

But also the idea of "some education experts warned that company incentives might influence teachers to adopt promoted digital tools over rival products or even traditional approaches, like textbooks." right there - that is very much the point of why these things happen. But why should we care that the school is choosing to use that one particular digital tool in the first place as an inherent thing? Are those tools being promoted actually inferior to other digital tools? Hell the "traditional textbook" that might get replaced was usually chosen in the first place because that textbook publisher pulled the same sort of trick a while back.

The article is trying to draw a connection between this and doctors prescribing particular medications because they have gotten perks from pharmaceutical companies, which is idiotic for exactly this reason. Doctors preferentially prescribing certain drugs which may not be ideal is an actual issue—teachers using a google product instead of one from Microsoft is not. If we start funding education to such an extent that educators have access to any tools they want and they start choosing inferior products due to (essentially) being bribed, maybe this becomes a legitimate concern, but in many districts the alternative to free tech right now is no tech.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

You're really overanalyzing the poo poo out of my hashtag comment

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My concern with these tech companies in education is that they further normalize dependency of education budgets on corporate donations.

:barf:

blowfish posted:

The fall of unicorns: incel inside

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

You're really overanalyzing the poo poo out of my hashtag comment

Uh dude, that's all very surface level. When you tried to describe why the situation was bad you said "hashtags on the walls".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wallet posted:

If we start funding education to such an extent that educators have access to any tools they want and they start choosing inferior products due to (essentially) being bribed

not like that doesn't happen already, just over scraps of money too small for a tech company to ever bother fighting over.

school textbooks are infamous for this, selection becomes politics and sometimes naked bribery more than quality.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Klyith posted:

not like that doesn't happen already, just over scraps of money too small for a tech company to ever bother fighting over.

school textbooks are infamous for this, selection becomes politics and sometimes naked bribery more than quality.

True, though I think textbook decisions are usually made by people higher-up the totem pole until post-secondary education.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
You've heard of satan in the classroom, now get ready for hashtags on the walls.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wallet posted:

True, though I think textbook decisions are usually made by people higher-up the totem pole until post-secondary education.

That's something that'll depend heavily on jurisdiction. Small time schools in states that don't set state policy too heavily, the local school or even individual teacher just has to select any of the many textbooks that meet bare minimum standards. Other states of course decide the 4th grade books at the state level and gently caress you if you don't like it.

Like if you're a school small enough that there's one teacher per grade, you're probably just going to let that teacher decide.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

fishmech posted:

That's something that'll depend heavily on jurisdiction. Small time schools in states that don't set state policy too heavily, the local school or even individual teacher just has to select any of the many textbooks that meet bare minimum standards. Other states of course decide the 4th grade books at the state level and gently caress you if you don't like it.

Like if you're a school small enough that there's one teacher per grade, you're probably just going to let that teacher decide.

This is less true since No Child Left Behind. Texas buys school textbooks at the state level, so those textbooks became the de facto standard in many states. It was similar to how California drives nation-wide emission standards.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ynglaur posted:

This is less true since No Child Left Behind. Texas buys school textbooks at the state level, so those textbooks became the de facto standard in many states.

Only because Texas is the biggest market for conservative textbooks, so they control what ends up in conservative textbooks. Keep in mind it's not like those places would be buying good textbooks without Texas, it'd still be dumb conservative anti-science crap.

Places like the major US cities exert a similar influence on the content of liberal textbooks, but it's not as easy to point to the combined purchasing power of say, Chicago, New York City, and Los Angeles.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

fishmech posted:

Only because Texas is the biggest market for conservative textbooks, so they control what ends up in conservative textbooks. Keep in mind it's not like those places would be buying good textbooks without Texas, it'd still be dumb conservative anti-science crap.

Places like the major US cities exert a similar influence on the content of liberal textbooks, but it's not as easy to point to the combined purchasing power of say, Chicago, New York City, and Los Angeles.

Not quite my point. Because Texas buys at the state level, every publisher wants that contract. Therefore, Texas state requirements tend to find their way into all textbooks. :tipshat:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ynglaur posted:

Not quite my point. Because Texas buys at the state level, every publisher wants that contract. Therefore, Texas state requirements tend to find their way into all textbooks. :tipshat:

They don't though. That's completely false.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Teachers I talk to in CT say otherwise, but okay. Feel free to find some special snowflake district to prove your point. Yoire fishmech: dont disappoint.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i am producing ethanol in milk bottles and i will use it to cure autism

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my secret is a potent soup made from vegetable scraps, pure applegum charcoal from the hand of hashem gently stroking my tree, and seven different sorts of poo poo: kangaroo, wallaby, wombat, echidna, brushtail possum, guinea fowl and jersey coo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the old ceremony posted:

i am producing ethanol in milk bottles and i will use it to cure autism

Could you say this with more buzzwords? It's almost a fundable pitch, but it needs that extra pizzazz, that razzmatazz.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Could you say this with more buzzwords? It's almost a fundable pitch, but it needs that extra pizzazz, that razzmatazz.
my secret is a cutting-edge soup made from vegetable scraps, pure applegum charcoal from the hand of hashem gently disrupting my #tree, and seven different sorts of #poo poo: kangaroo, wallaby, wombat, #echidna, brushtail possum, synergy fowl and the free market

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the old ceremony posted:

my secret is a cutting-edge soup made from vegetable scraps, pure applegum charcoal from the hand of hashem gently disrupting my #tree, and seven different sorts of #poo poo: kangaroo, wallaby, wombat, #echidna, brushtail possum, synergy fowl and jersey coo

:thumbsup:

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
does that mean you're going to fund me

please help my vanya is starving

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the old ceremony posted:

does that mean you're going to fund me

please help my vanya is starving

Let me run it by my partners, I'll have a Letter of Intent ready for you in three business days.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Thread: How would you reconcile these beliefs?
1. gently caress SV bros and their VC sugardaddies.
2. Coding is the new rock-bottom "not-mentally-challenged" standard for high school kids in the 21st century

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Analytic Engine posted:

Thread: How would you reconcile these beliefs?
1. gently caress SV bros and their VC sugardaddies.
2. Coding is the new rock-bottom "not-mentally-challenged" standard for high school kids in the 21st century

i mean the thing that got me about that article was the teacher who had instagram posting class or whatever. i dunno how instagram and twitter add to the education at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Yeah that article was horrific. 21st century children are hosed, society has either sold them out or completely ignored them. I'm thinking of the middle generation: the kids posting after us. They're completely lost in the "normal" job market.