Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

toanoradian posted:

Not a Christian here, what's the hang-up about married couple having 'interesting sex'? They're married, they have saved their chastity for each other, they've done the marriage vows, why can't they just do whatever they like with each other?

Also, wow, the pronouns thing are actually in the Statement, what the hell.

I haven't been Catholic in a while, but I can at least give a basic summary of Catholic sexual ethics. Basically, Catholic dogma about morality isn't just about proof texts from the bible, but is grounded in "Natural Law". Since God created sex to be both pleasurable and reproductive, any sex act that deviates from either of these two is unnatural and immoral. This rules out any kind of anal or oral sex, whether hetero or homosexual, but also masturbation, condoms, and even in vitro fertilization. Now, this doesn't necessarily apply to all or even most Catholics, who tend to support gay marriage at roughly the national rate, and usually support birth control or IVF in pretty healthy majorities, but if you want to know where organizations like the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops are coming from when they release another statement about how Obamacare is damning us all to hell by forcing Nuns to pay for IUDs, then yeah, it's there.

As for non-Catholic Christians who opposes this stuff, I don't know, but I'm just going to blame the Puritans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Welp, get ready for Steely Dan cartoons/Walter Becker obits.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Scholtz posted:

Welp, get ready for Steely Dan cartoons/Walter Becker obits.

poo poo, this is how I find out?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

poo poo, this is how I find out?

If someone died this thread is usually the first place I hear about it. Just goes with the territory :smith:

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Pants Donkey posted:

Never heard of it, but you can read the thing in its boring, fundie glory over here. It's only nothing new, so I'm not sure why Ford cares so much.

Hi Adam. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here, and assume that you're just ignorant of how the Religious Right in America works. I don't blame you for that, they've gotten very sneaky recently. But let me try to explain to you why the Nashville statement has gotten a lot of LGBT people and allies a bit mad.

Although I'm sure you look at modern America and think that the homosexual agenda juggernaut has pushed everything too far, you have to remember that not even 15 years ago, being gay was explicitly illegal in a lot of states in the country. Hell, a lot of those laws are still on the books, even though they're thankfully unenforceable. It all came to a head in the Lawrence v. Texas case at the Supreme Court, which determined whether or not anti-sodomy laws were constitutional. There was a lot of Evangelical Christian involvement in this court case, with several Evangelical groups filing amicus briefs in order to convince the court that keeping homosexuality punishable by law was the good and proper thing to do. These groups included the Family Research Council, the ACLJ, Concerned Women for America, and Liberty Counsel.

Do you know who's really advertising the Nashville Statement as a good and proper thing? The Family Research Council, the ACLJ, Concerned Women for America, and Liberty Counsel. And many people in those organizations now have cushy advisory positions in the Trump administration.

Adam, for all of your cringe-worthy ignorance when it comes to LGBT issues, I doubt that you want to re-criminalize homosexuality. But there are a lot of groups out there, with a lot of money and, now, sadly, influence, who are just itching to forcibly shove gay people back into the closet. They've softened up their image recently, and mostly just whine about "religious liberty" - although sometimes the truth slips out - but that's their end goal. And, more disturbingly, they've been recently rubbing shoulders with some of the most extreme voices in Christianity. Y'know, the ones who agree that being gay should be illegal, but the punishment should be execution. And this isn't even getting into how they're attacking trans people - telling a minority community that they don't actually exist has some pretty chilling implications, don't you think?

So, while you may see the Nashville Statement as just a harmless statement of faith that Christians should believe anyway, other people are seeing it for what it is - a tool of the Religious Right, and a warning that they haven't gone anywhere. Hell, most of these 14 statements may as well have a postscript of "And that's why being gay should be illegal again". We've already seen that Trump is willing to take away LGBT rights at the drop of a hat due to Evangelical pressure, so pardon us for being a little testy at the moment.

Sincerely,
A Fan

P.S. Choose an art style and stick with it already, god.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Xander77 posted:

You should read through most of the blog to see it phrased much better (with links, supporting arguments and other valuable info) but:

Until 15 minutes ago, "no race mixing" and "keep the negro in his place" was what "all (true, real) Christians believe(d)".

20 minutes ago is was "slavery is mandated by the Bible".

30 minutes ago it was "purge the Catholic / Jewish infidels" from our midst.

I have read Slacktivist religously (ha!) since at least 2008, so I'm very familiar. The Catholic/Jewish thing is separate, though. I don't think they use the "this specific verse I've taken out of context supports what I already want to do!" argument as much.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"May's game of thrones - Chris Riddell on the prime minister’s pledge to stand at the next general election"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

Stephen Collins:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Adam, for all of your cringe-worthy ignorance when it comes to LGBT issues, I doubt that you want to re-criminalize homosexuality.

Pretty sure he totally would want it recriminalized.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Adam, for all of your cringe-worthy ignorance when it comes to LGBT issues, I doubt that you want to re-criminalize homosexuality. But there are a lot of groups out there, with a lot of money and, now, sadly, influence, who are just itching to forcibly shove gay people back into the closet. They've softened up their image recently, and mostly just whine about "religious liberty" - although sometimes the truth slips out - but that's their end goal. And, more disturbingly, they've been recently rubbing shoulders with some of the most extreme voices in Christianity. Y'know, the ones who agree that being gay should be illegal, but the punishment should be execution. And this isn't even getting into how they're attacking trans people - telling a minority community that they don't actually exist has some pretty chilling implications, don't you think?
Thanks, I needed that wiki-walk*. Just a perfect cap to a perfect day.

* Is it still a wiki walk if you're on a non-wiki site, but keep getting drawn from one horrific article to another?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Pretty sure he totally would want it recriminalized.

Eh, Adam seems to at least respect the right of gay people to exist. He makes a big show about caring for their immortal souls and smugly pushes heteronormativity, but mainly sees it as a theological issue, not a legal one.

The ones you really need to look out for are the ones who go the "Well, if you look at the CDC statistics..." route. I don't recall any adam4d comic claiming that the average homosexual lifespan is 43 years.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bear in mind that Mike Pence, the VP, is completely down with recriminalizing homosexuality.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:
Independent on Sunday:

w-why are the flags in their butts

brian why

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Eh, Adam seems to at least respect the right of gay people to exist. He makes a big show about caring for their immortal souls and smugly pushes heteronormativity, but mainly sees it as a theological issue, not a legal one.

Most fundamentalists don't want to persecute people for being gay as a mental state. 'Just' for doing gay things. That doesn't mean they are OK with gay people - rather the opposite. They want them to go back in the closet, and preferably become celibate.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

Most fundamentalists don't want to persecute people for being gay as a mental state. 'Just' for doing gay things. That doesn't mean they are OK with gay people - rather the opposite. They want them to go back in the closet, and preferably become celibate.

This is true, but at the same time, his argument comes solely from a religious position. He realizes that he can't just say "well the Bible says that being gay is bad" and the American court system will be like "oh okay we were wrong". He thinks people being gay is icky and sinful and they shouldn't do that, but he stops at the "let them know it's a sin and they should stop" step, because that's as far as a purely-religious argument can go, really. I'm not defending the guy, but he's not actively looking for court cases to challenge.

Compare that to the Family Research Council and American Family Association. These are specifically Christian organizations, but oddly, most of their arguments against homosexuality are secular. They constantly bring up STD rates, alcoholism rates, suicide rates and other statistics that portray homosexuals as broken, diseased people in need of saving from themselves. That's been their legal line of attack since the AIDS epidemic - "we're keeping it illegal in order to save anyone from becoming a homosexual, which is an objectively terrible and dangerous thing".

Both arguments stem from religiously-based homophobia, but the first one is passively wishing that gay people didn't exist, and the second one is actively working towards gay people no longer existing. It's why I'm infinitely more terrified of a Tony Perkins or Jay Sekulow than I am of a guy with a lovely Christian Oatmeal ripoff webcomic.

Also, sorry if this has reached derail status, but I've been following these fuckers for years and need an outlet.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ralepozozaxe posted:

What's with these guys and 14?
stopping at 13 would have been bad luck

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Adam4Adam seems like he has never realized that most people are not shocked and horrified the day they decided that the bible might not be literally true and lead them to focus on other aspects or even religions in their life.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Concept: a collage of Branco toons that is just people pointing at nothing in particular

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Axe-man posted:

Adam4Adam seems like he has never realized that most people are not shocked and horrified the day they decided that the bible might not be literally true and lead them to focus on other aspects or even religions in their life.

He feels very similar to the authors of the Left Behind books: no one actually sincerely believes anything besides his specific version of Christianity. They know his specific fundamentalist denomination is absolutely correct and good, and the only people who would ever choose otherwise are those who have never heard of it (and will fall into True Believers or the other category as soon as they hear about it) and those who have heard of it and therefore know it's the truth but deliberately and perversely choose to spite God and what they know is true and good.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

He feels very similar to the authors of the Left Behind books: no one actually sincerely believes anything besides his specific version of Christianity. They know his specific fundamentalist denomination is absolutely correct and good, and the only people who would ever choose otherwise are those who have never heard of it (and will fall into True Believers or the other category as soon as they hear about it) and those who have heard of it and therefore know it's the truth but deliberately and perversely choose to spite God and what they know is true and good.

This is because fundies are inherently fascist

TVs Patrick Duffy
Dec 12, 2006
Pick something difficult. You know, hard to mock or whatever.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-DBvZGX8sc

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Why do we like, never see or hear from the vice president? I feel like Biden at least had some kind of presence.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Cause he is patiently waiting for Trump to stroke out (or impeached, whatever) so his reign of Christian fundamentalism can begin.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Grimdude posted:

Why do we like, never see or hear from the vice president? I feel like Biden at least had some kind of presence.

Pretty sure Pence is doing everything he can to avoid notice so that nothing ties him to Trump if/when the day comes that he needs to assume the role of president.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

toanoradian posted:

Not a Christian here, what's the hang-up about married couple having 'interesting sex'? They're married, they have saved their chastity for each other, they've done the marriage vows, why can't they just do whatever they like with each other?

Also, wow, the pronouns thing are actually in the Statement, what the hell.
Because having something interesting would probably make you less miserable and therefore less receptive to the lord because reasons. Repression is sadly a big part of Christianity, its why Catholic Guilt is a thing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grimdude posted:

Pence spends a lot of his time visiting foreign countries.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Gettin steamy in the Oval Office with Jesus

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

So wait, nazis are supposed to be hyper straight right? Cause, yeah.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pakled posted:

Pence spends a lot of his time having sex with a horse

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Grimdude posted:

There has been a lot of cartoons with Pence as the "responsible adult", cleaning up Trump's mess lately.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

"Sssssh. No tears now. Only dreams."

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It kills me that I'd actually prefer Pence right now. He's a hateful sack of poo poo, but he's a hateful sack of poo poo that isn't likely to get us involved in a nuclear war.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Keiya posted:

It kills me that I'd actually prefer Pence right now. He's a hateful sack of poo poo, but he's a hateful sack of poo poo that isn't likely to get us involved in a nuclear war.

You say that like the fundamentalists don't want a war with Iran so that Israel can bring about the end times.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

"Jebus, take me away!"

"A lot of people have been asking for the same thing. And it's Jesus, by the way..."

"Whatever. Do as I tell you or you're fired."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I take it Jesus is just about to smother Trump.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Keiya posted:

But he's so bland he's palatable to most people who only look at the surface. He would actually be able to get congress to work with him and that's a drat scary thought.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

"Tell me about the rabbits, Lord."

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Here's an idea I had for a cartoon that didn't warrant a full-blown treatment. Instead, it's more like an illustration. I kept hearing the phrase, "hermit state" to describe North Korea, so I decided to draw Kim Jong-un as a hermit crab.

China seems to be using the hermit state as a means to annoy and probe the weaknesses of the US and its allies. Kim Jong-un continues to violate all past agreements and advance his ballistic and nuclear capabilities. There is no negotiating with him. No agreement with the 'norks' can be trusted.

Kim Jong-un must know he and his country will be utterly obliterated should they launch a nuclear attack, but they will also cause millions of death in South Korea in a matter of minutes. It's an untenable, no-win situation. All we can do is endure the hermit crab's incessant saber rattling, but the ultimate responsibility for the madman's actions lies with China.

- Ben Garrison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
why would you put the state capital on there

oh, labels. right. never mind.

• Locked thread