Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Rabbids precede Minions right? Gotta be a lot of younger people thinking Nintendo/Ubi ripped them off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Minions are such a rip off of Servbots that I'm surprised Capcom hasn't tried to sue.

Rabbids seem different enough. I kinda always liked them since the first few Rabbid games on Wii were pretty good.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

This game is making me like rabbids and I don't know how I feel about that.

I enjoy the character rabbids slapstick but I don't think I could deal with a game full of the ones in the background set pieces.

I'll stick with prinnies tia

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So do ever get a team size larger than 3?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I just finished the world 1 minoboss, jeez what a bloody battle. The boss should've put Mario down but went for rabbid peach instead, thankfully.

That battle straight up handed me my first non-perfect. That was the first time I realized that the option to go Easy Mode wasn't just for show.

Right now, my current Team is Mario, Rabbid Luigi, and Luigi, simply because Luigi is my favorite and I like how... wizardly... Rabbid Luigi feels.

Also, some of my thoughts in regards to my team:

Mario seems somewhat slow, but he's got high HP and good attack which makes him a durable attacker and makes it less likely to lose him due to smaller mistakes.

Rabbid Luigi right now has undisputed battlefield control where he inflicts status effects on foes and can let allies pseudo-heal through the Vampire affliction by trading in some damage potential on his primary. He's kinda like a mage with all their various effects at his beck and call.

Luigi is probably one of the more extreme specializers in this game: extremely high offense with both his primary and secondary weapon with his primary sporting superior range and his secondary being useful for decoy purposes as well as relatively close-range AoE damage (and some sneaky higher-range AoE damage if there's pipes nearby). Both sport superior chances of critting an enemy compared to Mario's weapons too and Ink is an extremely good effect too because denying an enemy's attack is extremely cool and good. Also, he seems to have the best mobility of the three when upgraded which should be good for positioning him where you want to. This is all balanced out by him having the lowest HP by far out of all the characters I've seen, meaning he's best kept out of range from as many enemies as possible. Either way, despite that weakness, I can't help but think of him as rather broken in a good way.

Also, recently got Rabbid Mario. From what I've heard, he sounds like he's super-offensive like Luigi but at close range instead.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ometeotl posted:

No.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Ometeotl posted:

There's co-op missions where you both control a team of 2 (for a total of 4), but it's always 3 in the main game.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Really though why isn't Donkey Kong in this?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Dizz posted:

Keep playing, guy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Can I also say its weird both kinds of crits cost the same to buy for every character when some are wildly superior? Mario/Rabbid Peach/Peach are mostly okay with both elements offering okay benefits but everyone else clearly just wants one while the other pales in comparison. Vampire, Ink and Stone are just ridiculous compared to Fire/Freeze/Honey/Push/Bounce

Honey is still useful as it's the only stopping effect Mario has (that i've seen), and push and bounce have a place in maps with a lot of holes to push enemies in, but they are def more situational

i agree that fire/freeze are lame pretty much always, like I guess freeze might stop an enemy from overwatching but fire is random movement and half the time it seems they run away out of my firing range for the other characters, I hate fire tbh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mandatory lesbian posted:

I hate fire tbh

I once had to restart a battle because I accidentally killed myself by setting fire to an enemy who ran into Mario, who got set on fire then ran into the line of fire of three other enemies and then got knocked off the map

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fire is an effect that the enemies will get more use out of than the players will, yah

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

But if you never get lit on fire, you never get to see RLuigi stop, drop, and roll.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Honey is still useful as it's the only stopping effect Mario has (that i've seen), and push and bounce have a place in maps with a lot of holes to push enemies in, but they are def more situational

i agree that fire/freeze are lame pretty much always, like I guess freeze might stop an enemy from overwatching but fire is random movement and half the time it seems they run away out of my firing range for the other characters, I hate fire tbh

Biggest issue I have with Honey is that Mario contributes damage mostly with his hammer, and honey is basically useless against the big dudes I want him to stomp then smash sinces its usually the Bruisers or Valkyries who you want to get away from you if possible.

Its okay on the blaster, but since the teleporting fuckers don't proc overwatch it isn't useful against the one enemy type I really want it for.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lol still in world 1, I'm bitter that I spent my coins on new weapons and then immediately unlocked weapons that are the exact same but more damage/increased critical chance.

How do you do a golden shot?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tender Bender posted:

Lol still in world 1, I'm bitter that I spent my coins on new weapons and then immediately unlocked weapons that are the exact same but more damage/increased critical chance.

How do you do a golden shot?

Massive overkill on an enemy. Not sure of the exact threshold, but it becomes more common as you get better weapons.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dizz posted:

The same reason Wario and Waluigi aren't in it.

:getin:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Stepped away from the game for the weekend, coming back to the world 4 midboss. As I start planning out the week's gaming time, looking at the challenges they do really seem to be gear dependent so that wolrd 1-2-3 challenges should be a cakewalk, I have hated exploration thusfar and won't bother with 100%'ing -- are there any post-game extra hard bosses? Are the secret worlds worth doing or is having endgame gear going to make them dull? Are there "ultimate weapons"? Really not sure what kind ofpost-game content there is if the challenges and secrets were meant to be played in sequence, and if so why they wouldn't have just made them into levels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Stepped away from the game for the weekend, coming back to the world 4 midboss. As I start planning out the week's gaming time, looking at the challenges they do really seem to be gear dependent so that wolrd 1-2-3 challenges should be a cakewalk, I have hated exploration thusfar and won't bother with 100%'ing -- are there any post-game extra hard bosses? Are the secret worlds worth doing or is having endgame gear going to make them dull? Are there "ultimate weapons"? Really not sure what kind ofpost-game content there is if the challenges and secrets were meant to be played in sequence, and if so why they wouldn't have just made them into levels.

There's a secret chapter that unlocks after every completed world that pits you against the midboss in a tougher stage or with harder enemies. Beating it unlocks golden weapons of the next world's tier which have a bonus crit chance against midbosses.

They're always unlocked using the power you gained at the end of the world.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It is kind of weird to plan out meta-strategy in an XCOM-like that I'm intending to complete and move on from, instead of playing in perpetuity.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Here's a fun tip. You can chump 3-4-1 by using two heroes that team jump 8.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Here's a fun tip. You can chump 3-4-1 by using two heroes that team jump 8.

You can chump pretty much every reach the area map with Luigi, which is cool with me since Luigi owns anyway

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

You can chump pretty much every reach the area map with Luigi, which is cool with me since Luigi owns anyway

Until you get to the challenges that have multiple areas. :getin:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Holy cow I can't believe people dislike the rabbids those little assholes are so charming

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I am very ambivalent about the Rabbids but wow, what a game. I prefer these small, quick maps to the sprawling expanse and dozens of decisions in an XCOM mission.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I love the combination of Mario, R-Luigi, and R-Mario. I just have to start being careful now as R-Mario's damage can kill the other 2 with his hammer and shotgun.

Cloks posted:

I am very ambivalent about the Rabbids but wow, what a game. I prefer these small, quick maps to the sprawling expanse and dozens of decisions in an XCOM mission.

Yeah, it's really nice to be able to play short maps that don't take me hours like in X-COM. And I like that it encourages you to be aggressive. Sitting back and sniping worked fine in X-COM but it's a lot more fun to rush in and wreck face.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 4, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shyfted One posted:

I love the combination of Mario, R-Luigi, and R-Mario. I just have to start being careful now as R-Mario's damage can kill the other 2 with his hammer and shotgun.

I was actually about to say that I just got Rabbid Mario and tried him out, and I am wondering whether anything will get me to switch from Mario/Luigi/Rabbid Luigi, they so perfectly complement each other and cover all the bases. Rabbid Mario's friendly fire makes him more finicky to use and I don't like his secondary abilities

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
That's what I thought at first, but Rabbid Mario can kill a group of 6 guys with hundreds of health in a single turn. And having Rabbid Luigi helps with the friendly fire by going afterwards and putting on vampirism through dash to help Mario heal up (and Rabbid Mario's 2 dashes are enough to heal him)

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Twice now I've had Peach cold cap Mario in the back of the head when I set her to royal sight. The first time I didn't know she had spread on her gun, so that was forgivable. The second time Mario got launched as the boss moved to a new location, and so Peach somehow airshot Mario on reaction. Both times killed him.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was actually about to say that I just got Rabbid Mario and tried him out, and I am wondering whether anything will get me to switch from Mario/Luigi/Rabbid Luigi, they so perfectly complement each other and cover all the bases. Rabbid Mario's friendly fire makes him more finicky to use and I don't like his secondary abilities

I run Mario, rLuigi, and either Luigi or rMario depending on the fight.

If it's a fight with lots of enemies or little space, rMario is the way to go. Use his taunt to bring enemies together into a ball, then dash them, then shoot them. He's the best crowd control in the game.

Luigi is much better if there are a smaller number of targets, or if there's plenty of room for him to flank and set up reaction shot traps.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Tender Bender posted:

If you get a perfect on every stage this is less of a hassle, world 1 and some of 2 is tight moneywise but by world 3 I'm swimming in coins. I have a few thousand spare and everyone but Peach has the best weapon they can have.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm, maybe I'll give Rabbid Mario another shot on this map I'm stuck on, it's close quarters with no high ground and Luigi's low HP is a liability with all these smashers.

This game is actually more difficult than I anticipated. If I were playing on ironman this campaign would have been over long ago. At first I was restarting to get perfects, now I'm restarting just to survive

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man I would love if they added Ironman mode to this game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man I would love if they added Ironman mode to this game.

Ironman is the Fire Emblem-esque permadeath mode right? How would that even work with a cast of eight characters across 40 levels

One of my favorite subtle jokes is that Beepo immediately recognizes Rabbid Luigi but he still can't remember regular Luigi's name

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Beep-0 is such an rear end in a top hat, its great.

Also everyone getting tired of Toad and Toadette's poo poo in world 3.

My favorite dumb joke is still;

"What if the box just has like an old telescope on it?"

"You think???? Well... I guess I'd still let you have it "

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

How am I supposed to best deal with the chargers? I don't feel like the maps are big enough to space them out, and even ping-ponging them between two characters they'll eventually catch up to someone.

I beat XCOM on Iron Man mode and World 2 is just beating my rear end. Everything is so goddamn chaotic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

How am I supposed to best deal with the chargers? I don't feel like the maps are big enough to space them out, and even ping-ponging them between two characters they'll eventually catch up to someone.

I beat XCOM on Iron Man mode and World 2 is just beating my rear end. Everything is so goddamn chaotic.

Upgrade your weapons. Mario's hammers will do a huge chunk of damage to them so use them as a finishing blow. They also don't react to dashes or stomps so whittle them down with those first.

Also remember, Ink status stops them from attacking so always make sure Luigi has Ink weapons. Mario and Rabbid Peach can neuter them with Honey. Mario/Luigi have overwatch you can activate before pulling them with someone else...

There are a ton of ways to handle them. Plus you get Rabbid Mario and Peach soon and their weapons are pretty absurd for damage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have changed my mind. Rabbid Mario is Actually Cool and Good

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

Zore posted:

Also remember, Ink status stops them from attacking so always make sure Luigi has Ink weapons.

gently caress, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Rabbid Mario is good. Granted, he's not a good fit for every map, since improper usage of him will cause needless harm to your allies, but he excels at crowd control. He can make some maps so much easier by drawing in enemies and them going to town with his AOEs. I suggest trying to make use of him on maps that are open enough and don't have enemies across gaps or something like that.

• Locked thread