Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Turnbull's got a loving fierce temper, and anybody who hasn't read the 1991 profile on him from before he entered politics should do so.

quote:

During one two-hour interview with Turnbull, we saw the charm at work. But within 20 minutes of our leaving his office. he called a colleague, Sydney Morning Herald financial columnist Ian Verrender, arid branded him "f...k face" - six times - because of something he had written that day

quote:

Recently, according to Lucy, Turnbull "absolutely went off his rocker" - it was over a relatively small thing, she says, "but it became an issue of power in the marriage".
Lucy, asked about his temper, employs understatement: "I understand Malcolm has a reputation."

quote:

Part of the contradiction of Malcolm Turnbull is his memory: on occasions he has extraordinarily good recall, at others surprisingly bad. He cannot recall, for instance, ever kicking a door during a rage, as claimed by the former managing director of Allcorp, James Cook; or, according to Cook, Neville Wran leaving a board meeting during a Turnbull rage and sending a note back saying "Let me know when Malcolm's settled down"; or challenging Richard Ackland, editor of the Justinian, to "Come outside and we'll fix it up" when he ran into Ackland after he had written something about him.
etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I could totally see a drunk and exasperated Turnbull calling Abbott a c***. I mean, most of Tony's hugest fuckups happened around this time, when he was still in his honeymoon period and not even trying to keep his nose clean. The Australian turned 50 in July '14, so this was shortly after the colossal fuckup that was the 2014 budget. I remember being in Melbourne and stuck watching ABC24 in a hotel room around July that year, and even Uhlmann was stomping a daily mudhole in Hockey and Abbott over the delivery of that one.

So yeah, in his position, as someone who probably could have done a significantly better job (at loving the poor) if Abbott had never have gotten his hooks in, I'd say that part of the story is feasible.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
i can't imagine a single person on earth who couldn't call tony abbott a oval office

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You Am I posted:

Dude like do some editing FFS

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah a thread rule on not just brainlessly pasting News Ltd articles without editing out this horseshit would be good - but I'm pretty sure the D&D Mods would only dare to read this thread while several sheets to the wind.

My bad, missed a couple because I was posting on mobile. Actually did go through the article and copied out the half dozen text blocks inbetween the photos/ads.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Turnbull's got a loving fierce temper, and anybody who hasn't read the 1991 profile on him from before he entered politics should do so.

etc etc

Don't forget he stabbed Kerry Packer in the back

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2008/s2346015.htm

quote:

SARAH FERGUSON: At the 11th hour those critical notes came to the tribunal in the most extraordinary fashion.

The chairman of the Tribunal, Peter Westerway, was called to a secret rendezvous on a Sunday evening in a quiet North Sydney street. The informant who climbed into his car was none other than Malcolm Turnbull.

PROFESSOR ROD TIFFEN, MEDIA ACADEMIC, SYDNEY UNIVERSITY: At that stage Turnbull handed over Kennedy's notes which detailed all that Packer was planning, so the tribunal then knew what to ask for.

This was done with some melodrama. Turnbull said to Westaway that, "I fear for my myself, for my family, for my career".

SARAH FERGUSON: It was a scene reminiscent of Deep Throat's secret car park briefings during the Watergate scandal.

And little wonder Malcolm Turnbull expressed those fears. He had just killed Kerry Packer's dream of owning Fairfax. Now that Westaway knew what was in Kennedy's notes, he was able to subpoena the originals. Two days later Kerry Packer withdrew from the bid.

SARAH FERGUSON (to Rod Tiffen): Why did it effectively end Packer's role in the bid?

PROFESSOR ROD TIFFEN, MEDIA ACADEMIC, SYDNEY UNIVERSITY: Because it showed that Packer was lying. It showed that he intended to obey the law publicly but that he did intend to exercise control over Fairfax.

SARAH FERGUSON (to Rod Tiffen): Why would Malcolm Turnbull make such a dramatic move against Kerry Packer?

PROFESSOR ROD TIFFEN, MEDIA ACADEMIC, SYDNEY UNIVERSITY: I think the first thing that should be said is that what Malcolm Turnbull did helped Australian democracy. It stopped Packer getting control of Fairfax. Whether he did it for that reason, for that motive, we'll never know.

SARAH FERGUSON: Turnbull declined to confirm the story, saying only that everything he did at the time was in the interests of his clients, the bondholders, who eventually got their money back.

The Canadian mogul Conrad Black went on to win the bid and take control of Fairfax.

Black is now in prison for fraud in the US. He wrote to us from the Coleman Federal Correctional Complex in Florida.

VOICEOVER (reading from letter): Dear Sarah, It was good to hear from you and I remember "4 Corners" with some amusement.

Malcolm was a skilled negotiator. I knew him as an aggressive and opportunistic lawyer. Kerry thought he was talented and energetic but impetuous and unpredictable.

I can only comment on his aptitude to be Prime Minister from my recollection of him. I think he is certainly intelligent and energetic enough to do well in so exalted a position, but 15 years ago there would have been some question about his judgment. That may no longer be the case. I would be pleased if our paths crossed again.

I hope this is of some use. Best wishes to you. Yours, Conrad Black."

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
also he killed a cat

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Meanwhile, in WA, a pig has been removed from the trough:

https://thewest.com.au/politics/loc...l-ng-b88588208z

The West posted:

Perth’s Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi has been immediately disqualified from serving on a council for 18 months after the State Administrative Tribunal today finally handed down the penalty over the travel and gifts scandal which has engulfed her for years.
After being found guilty of 45 serious breaches of WA’s Local Government Act earlier this year for failing to properly disclose trips to the 2008 Olympics paid for by BHP, and a trip to the Broome Cup paid for by property group Hawaiian amongst dozens of others, Ms Scaffidi finally learned her fate this morning.

The penalty is believed to be one of the harshest ever handed to a serving councillor in Australia, eclipsing the original four-month suspension handed to controversial NSW councillor Salim Mehajer last year, which was overturned on appeal.
A similar appeal against today’s suspension will now be strongly considered by Ms Scaffidi, who is already appealing the SAT’s original guilty findings to WA’s Court of Appeal

Ms Scaffidi was found guilty of dozens of breaches for failing to disclose gifts and travel, and also failing to disclose third-party contributions to travel from corporations and governments, following a two-day SAT hearing earlier this year.
At that hearing, the Lord Mayor admitted to some of the breaches – including the Olympic trip and the trip to Broome.

But she denied many others, claiming she either didn’t know she was supposed to declare the flights and accommodation, or was unaware the City of Perth had sought reimbursement for the cost of trips to Beijing, Houston, Sydney, the Gold Coast, Seoul, Japan, Spain and New York.
She has also maintained she still did not think she had to declare travel linked to her role as a member of the Australian Press Council because it was work related.

During questioning, state lawyer David Leigh quizzed the Lord Mayor on the non-disclosure of the US $24,000 Olympic trip – saying the value was three times more than all the combined value of all the other gifts declared by Ms Scaffidi in all her other years as Lord Mayor.
“(The value) is so extraordinary that if you had given a microsecond of thought about it (when filling out the annual return), it would have hit you like a thunderclap,” Mr Leigh said.

It was also argued that for some trips the Lord Mayor clearly knew third parties were paying and was at times actively involved in negotiations around travel arrangements.

In one email, Ms Scaffidi wrote: "Hope hotel five star - let them know I don't stay in trash."

Ms Scaffidi’s lawyer Stephen Penglis had called for any suspension from office not to be immediate, saying the breaches were careless, not corrupt or surreptitious.

He told the SAT Ms Scaffidi had shown “remorse and contrition” over her omissions and had “taken positive steps to avoid repetition of such matters”. He also said the publicity which had followed the scandal had been “quite unfair and hurtful”.

By contrast, lawyers for the state said Ms Scaffidi had consistently blame-shifted for her breaches, and as she represented the "top of the tree" of local government a message needed to be sent.
"The bottom line is ... it is not appropriate for her to continue a leadership role given her shortcomings," state lawyer Carolyn Thatcher said. Ms Scaffidi’s disqualification will start at midnight on September 7.

Premier McGowan has been trying to scrape her off the plate now for 6 months. She's been complicit in Barney's rorts and graft for the entire duration of his term as premier as far as I recall, and basically helped him hand the state over to the mining industry and property developers wholesale. Don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Hope hotel five star - let them know I don't stay in trash."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/heres-village-roadshows-plan-for-suing-pirates-20170903-gya10v.html

Individual suing notices coming soon whooooo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I agree with the government on this.

The Turnbull government is set to crack down on schools and universities that send their students to volunteer in overseas orphanages, amid fears that they may be contributing to a new form of modern slavery.

Education Minister Simon Birmingham says he is appalled that well-meaning students could be unwittingly caught up in child exploitation through orphanage tourism and shonky volunteer programs.

Global demand for so-called "voluntourism" experiences is fuelling the targeted recruitment of children who are unnecessarily separated from their families to solicit profit from Western visitors.

Experts warn that it is not uncommon for recruiters to be sent into villages to convince families to give up their children for money or the promise of a better life.

Once the children are taken, parents are often encouraged not to visit their child or are told they no longer have custody rights; papers are often falsified as children are trafficked between facilities; and children are effectively exploited for profit through forced "cultural" performances for tourists, forced begging, or forced interaction with visitors.

"It disgusts me that well-meaning students seeking to help vulnerable children overseas might be unwittingly signed up for scam volunteer programs and orphanage tourism that risks further child exploitation," Mr Birmingham told Fairfax Media.

"The national government has a leadership role to play in setting education policy but I hope that we will enjoy co-operation from states and territories, non-government school authorities and universities to ensure that due diligence occurs before groups take-off."

Figures from child protection agency Lumos suggest that there are more than 8 million children living in residential orphanages around the world, while UNICEF estimates that four in five of them have at least one living parent.

But with many Australian schools and universities continuing to visit, volunteer or fundraise for such facilities – often in partnership with third-party operators – the government concedes that part of the solution involves raising awareness about the risks involved.

In a bid to tackle the issue, Mr Birmingham has asked his education department to work with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade on a suite of policies to put on the agenda at the next COAG Education Council with his state and territory counterparts.

The government is also considering introducing a Modern Slavery Act, modelled on a similar law in the UK, which would force large businesses to report on the measures they are taking to stamp out slavery in their supply chains.

While modern slavery generally refers to exploitative practices such as sex trafficking, forced labor, debt bondage, or wage exploitation, some within Coalition ranks, such as West Australian senator Linda Reynolds, are pushing for orphanage tourism to be an internationally recognised form of slavery.

A 2016 mapping study by Rethink Orphanages found that almost 58 per cent of Australian universities advertised orphanage placements through international volunteering opportunities. Meanwhile, in Victoria alone, almost 16 per cent of public high schools and 13 per cent of private high schools fundraise or take school trips to orphanages.

However, education chiefs have defended their involvement, insisting their students are not getting caught up in child exploitation.

Overnewton Anglican Community College principal James Laussen​ said his school had sent students and staff to Zambia for years to support an orphanage in Chibobo. He said this had not only given participants the chance to understand the challenges the local community faced, but also led to funding of a medical clinic, construction of a new school, and other supportive partnerships.

Deakin University pro vice-chancellor John Molony said: "We recognise some countries offer programs that do not have strong protection measures in place for children, so we deliberately work only with organisations that have undergone Deakin's rigorous due diligence processes to ensure we do not engage with organisations that could put children at risk."

But Rethink Orphanages spokeswoman Leigh Mathews said there was no such thing as a "good orphanage" because the model of institutional care in itself was inherently harmful to children "no matter how high quality the care provided is".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The petition to deregister Dr Pansy Lai, a GP in Sydney, was launched by a supporter of the Yes campaign for same-sex marriage.

The petition, started on a community run platform, called for the Australian Medical Association to review Dr Lai.

The petition claimed Dr Pansy Lai's registration should be reviewed by the AMA and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency due a 'violation of its code of ethics'.

The Marriage Coalition advertisement showed three mothers, one being Dr Lai, voicing their concerns if same-sex marriage was legalised.

Dr Lai is a staunch opponent of the Safe Schools program and warned about it in the new campaign ad that appeared on national television last week.

Pansy Lai has also recently rejected claims her Australian Chinese for Families Association advocates gay conversion therapies.

The online petition had more than 6,000 e-signatures and was started by an individual using Community Run, which is a project of GetUp! The petition has since been taken down by GetUp after it was found to breach the terms and conditions.

"CommunityRun campaigns are not run or endorsed by GetUp," a spokesperson from GetUp said in a statement.

"CommunityRun is a decentralised platform - much like YouTube or Change.org - where any member of the public can upload a petition. 

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Good. Don't steal content. It fucks with Australian revenue from all media, which flows into reduced Screen Aus funding and makes it really loving hard to lobby the government who see nothing but industry bottom lines. It puts local producers off side and then as a ~*market force*~ drives down what producers pay local film and tv crew. It damages the ability of industry groups to get things like local offsets for internationals and costs the local industry heavily in experience on major productions, both for crew and actors.

Stealing entertainment is loving stupid.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Unless it's Anime

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Unless it's Anime

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Don't copy that floppy.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's a shame that we, as a country on average, don't have internet suitable for streaming, and generally have to pay inflated prices for optical media, often later than other parts of the world.

I'd say the first part is the government's fault, but that's only true if you're a gormless twit and don't appreciate that Rupert Murdoch had everything to do with the crippling of the FTTH NBN rollout.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

JBP posted:

Good. Don't steal content. It fucks with Australian revenue from all media, which flows into reduced Screen Aus funding and makes it really loving hard to lobby the government who see nothing but industry bottom lines. It puts local producers off side and then as a ~*market force*~ drives down what producers pay local film and tv crew. It damages the ability of industry groups to get things like local offsets for internationals and costs the local industry heavily in experience on major productions, both for crew and actors.

It would be nice to have money to spend on things.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

yeah totally, if only we paid large sums of money to multinational companies for access to content which is available more cheaply elsewhere, they would stop loving us so hard.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

JBP posted:

Okay but is it morally right to steal Game of Thrones, given they'll make gorillions of dollars anyway and also I hate it?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I pay for netflix and spotify and both of them are great and have made my life far easier.

I don't want to pay for 3 different other streaming services just to collect the 15% of content Netflix doesn't have though. Especially not Foxtel's, because nothing they do actually works right, because they're a bunch of ideological Luddite fuckwits.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

the whole piracy thing is literally a feature of capitalism so I don't feel any empathy towards Foxtel or whatever.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Recoome posted:

the whole digital entertainment thing is literally a feature of capitalism so I don't feel any empathy towards Foxtel or whatever.

FTFY.

I mean I'm all for Full Communism Now, but lets be realistic here.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm not advocating piracy but there's a Murdoch 1-2 punch in controlling the means of supply at inflated prices during showing (whole season is $20 on Google play as soon as it's aired) while also controlling lovely rags that put "Jon Snow Shags Night King in Thrones Shocker!" on their web front and center every Monday so that interested viewers are compelled to watch it immediately.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Also how is $100-200 not speculative invoicing? They're doing the woolies pink slip car park scam, hope you pay before considering if they can even enforce it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

like I think spotify is a cool example of something which actually combats piracy, I haven't pirated music since spotify and I buy music I really like still.

Like if people think something is unreasonably priced then they won't buy it, welcum 2 the free market

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Half baked arguments ITT. I don't have any sympathy for Foxtel either, but come on.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

i'm putting the same amount of effort as your posting m8

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Steam pretty much stopped me pirating games because it became easier to just buy a game than pirate it.

SSM news:

Conservative Muslims: "Well sure we could say something but we dont really want to fuel assholes thanks." :laffo:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/sep/04/same-sex-marriage-debate-conservative-muslims-steer-clear-for-fear-of-backlash

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

JBP posted:

I'm not stealing. I'm providing a backup and archiving service for when North Korea nukes everything to ensure continuity and preservation of the film arts. It's a vital part of my curator duties that I ensure each piece is fully intact by viewing it from start to end. I do this important work fully free of charge too, simply for the love and passion of it.

Some people refer to me as a national hero but I'm more modest and consider myself lucky to have this opportunity to contribute to recording the world's history.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I subscribe to Spotify, Netflix and Stan at the moment.

Foxtel can go to hell and I will never give them my money.

Also I recently streamed Westworld via Google Play and the experience was really bad. I'm on fibre NBN and it would still drop to low resolution frequently.

I'd much rather have the option to download in HD and watch later.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
not a single leonard cohen song will be lost because i know all of them off by heart, all of them, even jazz police, and i will walk from town to town with my piano accordion keeping them alive until i succumb to a cannibal attack west of murrurundi

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

At the risk of sounding like a shill I subscribe to FetchTV instead. Much cheaper than Foxtel, has a lot of the same channels, has 30 free movies and also has apps for Netflix and Stan on it.

That said for content not found on my FetchTV box I'm happy to either pay a fair amount for convenience or I'll simply torrent it. Those who control media seem to prefer I do the latter by making the former either a pain in the rear end, very expensive or unavailable.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Tony says Bill not providing evidence in the face of unproven accusation is exactly the same as Barnaby refusing to quit in the full knowledge he was ineligible

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I won't pay for a video streaming service until they can guarantee the content I want at the resolution I want without buffering pauses.

I have a family subscription to Spotify but gently caress low res, pausing, etc while watching something. If you could prebuffer shows to watch later then I might be willing to use a video streaming service.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

starkebn posted:

I won't pay for a video streaming service until they can guarantee the content I want at the resolution I want without buffering pauses.

I have a family subscription to Spotify but gently caress low res, pausing, etc while watching something. If you could prebuffer shows to watch later then I might be willing to use a video streaming service.

Netflix allows you to download stuff for offline viewing

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I have a Netflix & Stan subscription, I use Getflix for accessing free US poo poo ( like The Daily Show ) and my wife also uses Hulu. I'm pretty much over downloading poo poo and am fairly laissez-faire in waiting for series that I'm interested in eventually showing up on either Netflix or Stan ( although I do watch the Rick & Morty episodes that get put up on youtube shortly after they air - because I just can't wait 6 days for em to show up on Netflix ).

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Given the state and reliability of their digital offerings, I'm still fairly convinced that Foxtel want you to buy their pay tv product and watch the programs they want you to when they want you to according to their schedule.

Also that last few times I lived with idiots who bought Foxtel, I found most of the time there was nothing good to watch other than the occasional Adultswim blocks on the cartoon network or whatever it was. Most of the rest was the same sort of trash I don't watch FTA for.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Of course they do, then you can't skip the ads. Foxtel is maybe worth it if you have young kids or are really into sport, but other than that it seems pretty useless. If you could get Fox Footy as a standalone thing the rest of the business would probably collapse.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

yeah totally, if only we paid large sums of money to multinational companies for access to content which is available more cheaply elsewhere, they would stop loving us so hard.

More cheaply as in where? The United States? Go hang out in TVIV and talk a bit about access to entertainment in the American market.

Anyway, it denies tax revenue and that affects investment in screen arts at a government level. When I write submissions arguing for poo poo like location allowances that rival NZ (they pay ~30% location, we pay a lovely 17%) the response is PIRATES, which is a stupid dodge and bad argument, but that's what happens none the less. This is also the response from producers in Australia when they try to hammer down market rates for crew here. We would pay more, but pirates. It messes directly with the diversity and quality of Australian produced screen.

It's fine for everyone to meme out on full communism or whatever, but it has real world consequences for creative workers here and abroad.

Cleretic posted:

Okay but is it morally right to steal Game of Thrones, given they'll make gorillions of dollars anyway and also I hate it?

Only if you download it out of spite and don't watch it.

Tokamak posted:

It would be nice to have money to spend on things.

It's not bread and water, it's television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

the old ceremony posted:

not a single leonard cohen song will be lost because i know all of them off by heart, all of them, even jazz police, and i will walk from town to town with my piano accordion keeping them alive until i succumb to a cannibal attack west of murrurundi

the musical guy montag

• Locked thread