Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ha thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently Microsoft wanted to rename the Photos app, i.e. the default image viewer in Windows 10, to "Story Remix" with the Fall update. Luckily there was a huge spike of negative feedback on the Feedback app that got noticed, and they're backpedalling on that one.

Still, I'm wondering, what group of idiots figured that'd be a cool thing to do?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I think the group of idiots are called Microsoft.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
How do you go from Photos to "Story Remix"?

What on earth?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Microsoft wanted to rename the Photos app, i.e. the default image viewer in Windows 10, to "Story Remix" with the Fall update. Luckily there was a huge spike of negative feedback on the Feedback app that got noticed, and they're backpedalling on that one.

Still, I'm wondering, what group of idiots figured that'd be a cool thing to do?
I don't know why Microsoft is putting so much effort into adding these random features. Surely nobody cares about a whole special workflow for writing on pictures with a stylus? Also, "hey we randomly changed everything in an update so you can be a cool content creator" isn't going to convince business to switch to Windows 10.

If they're going to go through all this effort to change paint and photos, could they at least just include something decent like paint.net with windows? (I'm not quite sure how the branches work or whether companies normally are on the normal branch or not, but I assume unless they're on LTSB they're eventually going to get this automatically?)

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 3, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Story Remix was some dumb feature I can't imagine ever wanting to use that they were adding, but if they were honestly going to rename the photo app after it then jesus christ.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 10: millennial edition

yeah I went there

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

redeyes posted:

yeah I went there

At least it runs better than Windows Millennium Edition!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

isndl posted:

At least it runs better than Windows Millennium Edition!

Trigger warning plz.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

But the Millennium Edition made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecccssss why did I make this joke kill me aaaaaggggghhh

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

redeyes posted:

New thread title right here.

eames
May 9, 2009

I could use a bit help figuring out Windows 10 licensing.

My sister has a small shop with a Windows 7 Pro machine running lightweight POS software as the server for the two cash registers.
She sometimes needs to access the POS client via Teamviewer to change prices and I'd rather not have her click around on the actual server.

Two options:

- buy a NUC and use it as a POS client with teamviewer installed, idling 99,5% of the time.

- upgrade the server to Windows 10 Pro and create a client VM with Hyper-V which can then be accessed via teamviewer

if I choose the latter, does Microsoft actually expect me to buy two Windows 10 Pro licenses at €279 each or does Hyper-V include a client license?
I don't think I want to use a shady key-only ebay thing for this.

e: I just realised that I could buy pre-built PCs with Win 10 Pro cheaper than that Win 10 Pro license itself, what's up with that?

eames fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 4, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Your sister always was a bit hard of hearing, yeah? Seems like the Hyper-V Win 10 install would qualify for the free assistive services install.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'd like to set up something on my computer to shut down Chrome if the computer is idling and it's 6:30 PM. I don't need Chrome to stay closed, just for the browser to exit at the specified time. Running Windows 7. Is this possible to do with just the Task Scheduler?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

nielsm posted:

New thread title right here.

It's perfect.

mystes
May 31, 2006

maltesh posted:

I'd like to set up something on my computer to shut down Chrome if the computer is idling and it's 6:30 PM. I don't need Chrome to stay closed, just for the browser to exit at the specified time. Running Windows 7. Is this possible to do with just the Task Scheduler?
Yeah, you can have it start at 6:30 and add the condition on the conditions tab that the computer must have been idle for 15 minutes. I think this will do what you want.

You can launch "taskkill /im:chrome.exe" but in this case if a page doesn't want to close it might not shut down, so you may need to use "taskkill /f /im:chrome.exe" (in which case chrome will complain that it wasn't shut down properly) or better yet the following powershell script which tries both of these options in order:
code:
taskkill /im:chrome.exe
start-sleep 10
taskkill /f /im chrome.exe
This will give it a chance to shut down before force killing it (first run powershell and use Set-ExecutionPolicy to allow this execution, then save this code as c:\location\something.ps1, then run "powershell c:\location\something.ps1" in task scheduler).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The free WIndows 7,8,8.1 -> upgrade Still works and probably will never stop. Don't even bother with assistive tech or whatever, just feed 10 a key of 7,8,8.1.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

redeyes posted:

The free WIndows 7,8,8.1 -> upgrade Still works and probably will never stop. Don't even bother with assistive tech or whatever, just feed 10 a key of 7,8,8.1.

He needs 2 keys.

eames
May 9, 2009

or rather two licenses, unless keys are licenses now?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

If I plain need to buy a license for a machine I may be building later in the year, where is a good place to get it cheap? Prices are all over the place on Google.

I've just been purchasing official OEM media with keys from eBay (at least when it comes to Windows 7 and Server 2012 R2.) Never had an issue. Obviously with Server you would also have to buy the proper CALs, etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eames posted:

or rather two licenses, unless keys are licenses now?

I don't think there's been any cases where a single key was multiple licenses before, besides the fake "keys" that would be printed on computers where the license was actually stored in the UEFI, like for Windows 8 systems and newer.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I've just been purchasing official OEM media with keys from eBay (at least when it comes to Windows 7 and Server 2012 R2.) Never had an issue. Obviously with Server you would also have to buy the proper CALs, etc.

Just go for it, things are legit? Wow i'm surprised.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

Just go for it, things are legit? Wow i'm surprised.

Anybody who pays retail for a Windows 10 license is a fool.

Considering they still haven't stopped people from using Windows 7/8 keys to install Windows 10 from scratch.

Considering they still haven't stopped people from upgrading from activated Windows 7 / 8 to Windows 10.

Considering they still offer the Assistive Devices upgrade for free, and likely will for the life of Windows 10.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Well, if you're building a brand new box from scratch you might as well buy a 10 key. New 7/8 keys weren't any cheaper than 10 keys last I saw.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

isndl posted:

Well, if you're building a brand new box from scratch you might as well buy a 10 key. New 7/8 keys weren't any cheaper than 10 keys last I saw.

Well the whole deal is that there's people selling $3 Windows 7 keys of unknown provenance that usually work, which is indeed a lot cheaper than known-legit Win 10 keys are going to be.

isndl
May 2, 2012

fishmech posted:

Well the whole deal is that there's people selling $3 Windows 7 keys of unknown provenance that usually work, which is indeed a lot cheaper than known-legit Win 10 keys are going to be.

:shrug: By the same token you're able to also get Win10 keys stupidly cheap if you're willing to buy from dubious sources. Not exactly fair to compare the grey market pricing to retail.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I would much rather get my licenses from non-dubious sources such as Lenovo

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Lenovo, the same Lenovo that loves spyware?

:thatsthejoke:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

When I bought my pro key on ebay it was $3. I bought it thinking it was probably a scam, but the gamble was worth it because I could use pro over home.

Dude emailed me the key a few hours later and it activated fine. I feel like I stole Windows though :(

How exactly are people getting these keys anyway? I thought it was like an oem gets a billion keys, assign them to motherboards maybe, and then some motherboards end up broken and it's easier for the oem to just take it as a loss instead of getting the key assigned to another computer? Then some guy somehow gets them and the oem looks the other way? Just my guess though.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 5, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

BrainDance posted:

When I bought my pro key on ebay it was $3. I bought it thinking it was probably a scam, but the gamble was worth it because I could use pro over home.

Dude emailed me the key a few hours later and it activated fine. I feel like I stole Windows though :(

People who just sell a one or two keys probably got them from their Dreamspark account. I gave one of mine to my friend for free.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm more surprised that people don't have legit licenses at all. I've seen a couple streamers who constantly have the not genuine message popping up.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
When I googled the british company I bought my Win 7 Pro key from I got the impression that they are a PC recycling business, so they probably get tons of keys from scrapped PCs from otherr companies.

My view on the legitimacy is that if there are companies selling probably thousands of keys on eBay with top ratings and they aren't getting crushed by Microsoft, then that is enough MS approval for me.

There's also this claim on the listing of another company: "NOTE TO EBAY – THESE DIGITAL LICENSE KEYS ARE OBTAINED FROM PC'S NO LONGER REQUIRED. IT IS LEGAL UNDER THE EU LAW TO SELL USED LICENSES"

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I bought a couple of $5 Win7 keys online and they sent me two chunks of plastic from the back of a laptop that had the stickers on them - they activated fine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Saukkis posted:

When I googled the british company I bought my Win 7 Pro key from I got the impression that they are a PC recycling business, so they probably get tons of keys from scrapped PCs from otherr companies.

My view on the legitimacy is that if there are companies selling probably thousands of keys on eBay with top ratings and they aren't getting crushed by Microsoft, then that is enough MS approval for me.

There's also this claim on the listing of another company: "NOTE TO EBAY – THESE DIGITAL LICENSE KEYS ARE OBTAINED FROM PC'S NO LONGER REQUIRED. IT IS LEGAL UNDER THE EU LAW TO SELL USED LICENSES"

Yes, the EU specifically ruled this way, but of course MS tries their best to ignore things they don't like and will still try to bully those listings away.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I bought a couple of $5 Win7 keys online and they sent me two chunks of plastic from the back of a laptop that had the stickers on them - they activated fine.

Yes, I use the $5 Win 7 Pro keys and punch them straight into Window 10 Pro to permanently activate these days. At least that's what I do for PCs I build for myself and friends. For work I buy the Win 10 Pro "full packaged product" keys from a vendor for $200 each, those are they kind that you are specifically allowed to transfer or resell if you format the original PC, as opposed to OEM that is "one time for one machine".

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 6, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Microsoft doesn't care about the key. I've seen people do upgrades to computers which had a unlicensed windows running, no problems. Ms just wants to collect telemetry and get everyone to win10.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Really, it's a very involved malware infestation.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

Microsoft doesn't care about the key. I've seen people do upgrades to computers which had a unlicensed windows running, no problems. Ms just wants to collect telemetry and get everyone to win10.

It's more like, they're happy to have you on Windows 10 for the telemetry, but if you're stupid enough to pay them for the privilege then they're thrilled.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What third party search is recommended?

Also if running that, can the cortana service be disabled without affecting search?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What third party search is recommended?

Also if running that, can the cortana service be disabled without affecting search?

I really like Everything Search: https://www.voidtools.com/

If you replace the Start Menu with Classic shell, it's search seems to work pretty well. I have no idea about Cortana though.