Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So if the whole thing was Richard's dream, that means the black/white lodges aren't real and the entire mythos of the series has been an imagination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

The Twin Peaks Salt Mine is Open for Business.

And Business is BOOMING.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I loved the creepy ambient music during Ep 18 credits.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
If nothing else, at least Lucy understands cell phones now.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i gotta admit this ending puts a little bit of a damper on my planned dougie halloween costume

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i feel like people will see it and just get mad at me

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wanna watch these goddamn credits again but Showtime's site isn't letting me fast forward through episodes :argh:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the idea that david lynch is intentionally trolling people shows a complete misunderstanding of the dude. He clearly does't give a poo poo.

That said, I did not like this ending at all.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In the end Lynch returns to the core Lynch themes. People will hate it, but I think it works as a last statement. There's nothing scarier than getting old.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Naaah I don't think it is a dream by Richard. The screaming of Laura at the end sort of debunks that.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The idea that all of Twin Peaks has been the dream of a bored FBI agent named Richard is loving stupid.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
If the whole thing was a dream, why Twin Peaks? Like I could sort of buy the argument if the guy lived in/was from Twin Peaks, but there's nothing tying this hypothetical Richard-as-Dreamer to the town of Twin Peaks.
In Mulholland Drive it's all a dream but it makes sense that the dream takes place where it does. If TP is all a dream, then why does Richard dream about some bumfuck place in the middle of nowhere Washington?

Lynch isn't concerned with linear/'logical' storytelling and is much more concerned with evoking feeling and an atmosphere, so people often mistake his surrealism for heavy symbolism, but really Lynch is pretty loving heavy handed, most of the time. Like he's not that subtle, all things considered, and often you can take things in his films on face value, after a fashion.
I think the ending is what it seems like; a non-ending setting the stage for another season. Cooper (who may or may not be Bad Cooper or picking up the vibes of his alt-reality self) has traveled to another reality but also through time.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Thatim posted:

Naaah I don't think it is a dream by Richard. The screaming of Laura at the end sort of debunks that.

Yeah, I would be completely willing to buy that idea if not for the damned scream.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I'm not at all sure what to make of that ending. I'm certain that a lot of people are going to hate it. I 'm holding on to the expectation that it will make some sense with deeper analysis. As an ending to a TV show, it's not great. As a David Lynch film that isn't immediately accessible, it might be amazing. I was on edge through the entire thing, but I am a bit concerned that after putting friends who haven't seen it through the experience they will end up punching me in the head for making them watch this. But it is definitely leaving things up for people to theorize around for the next couple years, and I'm happy with that.

There is the second book which is coming out soon, and maybe that will give some answers, since apparently the timeline has been changed.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013
Maybe the real Twin Peaks were the friends we made along the way

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the whole last half of the episode is some kind of shenanigans of that thing inside Sarah Palmer. She was flipping out something fierce before Laura disappeared.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So if the whole thing was Richard's dream, that means the black/white lodges aren't real and the entire mythos of the series has been an imagination?

Pretty much. I mean, I had a dreadful feeling for a while that "it was all a dream" would be the conclusion, just because of how often we heard statements like "We live inside a dream" or the "We are the dreamer who dreams and then lives inside the dream", etc. I mean I'm starting to get it, I just don't think it's a really great idea to use.

I think we're done too, I don't think there will be a followup or anything.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

StopHangingDjs posted:

Maybe the real Twin Peaks were the friends we made along the way

was a little disappointed at the lack of mitchum bros at the end tbh

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Thatim posted:

same

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
maybe it's like aqua teen hunger force's finale and a secret extra episode will air next sunday

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:stare:

Welp.

I'm gonna need a very long time to digest this one.

Overall still one of the absolute best seasons of anything I've ever seen on TV.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

17 was really great, but man, the season sure built up Sarah a lot for there to be no confrontation with her at the end.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

not just the scream tho but the hosed up "LAAAAURAAA" at the end which i didnt catch the first time

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

romanowski posted:

i feel like people will see it and just get mad at me

I wouldn't worry, nobody actually watches this show.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It kind of bothered me that Cooper drove around all the way from Texas to Washington with nu-Laura, who is 25 years older just like everything else, without asking what year it is. That's really, really out of character for him, to miss such an obvious question. :\

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

17 was really great, but man, the season sure built up Sarah a lot for there to be no confrontation with her at the end.

I think this is the door left open for the continuation. BOB is dead but an even bigger evil is still out there.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Odessa is a strange choice. Were those seagull sounds when they drove by the Maersk shipping containers? Odessa is landlocked and no rivers to speak of. Maybe I'm overthinking this. But why stop now? Odessa's population at the last census was 99K, like the sign Cooper saw says. According to Wikipedia, I mean. Now it has ~117K. So maybe that's the answer to Cooper's final question. It's 2010.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

CJacobs posted:

It kind of bothered me that Cooper drove around all the way from Texas to Washington with nu-Laura, who is 25 years older just like everything else, without asking what year it is. That's really, really out of character for him, to miss such an obvious question. :\

He was hosed - like halfway between good and bad coop. Coming out of the lodge is like a bad comedown from some hosed up drug.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CJacobs posted:

even robin williams in jumanji asked what year it was and he was in a magical board game jungle for thirty years!

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
That was the greatest ending of all time.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Man, Season 4 is going to be intense. Looking forward to the resolution with Laura and Audrey especially but tons of other things I'm sure they'll address too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just to be clear, we're talking about a different Richard than Richard Horne, right?

Also, just in case I'm crazy, Coop and Diane went into an end-unit in a single storey motel, and he came out in a completely different place, right?

Edit: did British glove kid also kill the Experiment/mother? If not, where the hell is it?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

quote:

If that indeed was the end of the show, I dare someone to spin up some pretentious bullshit that explains the numerous issues with the ending. There's leaving things up to the viewers imagination, and then there's just literally an incomplete show, which is what this was. Unless they actually planned a Season 4 (which makes all of these complaints go away), then this was a terrible way to end the show.

quote:

"what did you expect?! This is just how Lynch is!" Oh gently caress off. Part 18 was the worst hour of television I've ever sat through. The series should have just ended on a cliffhanger at part 17.

quote:

To say I am beyond disappointed is an understatement. We got zero answers. After killing evil Cooper, it was basically 2 hours of roads, a quasi Diane and Cooper forced "love" story, and Laura. This blows so bad. Wanna cry from the sheer disappointment. How can they not have Audrey Horne appear in the finale after episode 16? This isn't art! It's trash!

quote:

We didn't get a resolution to... almost anything. So many subplots, so many characters, so much invested time and energy and then... nothing.
It all ends with nothing.
My partner and I are... devastated.
The sheer amount of plot in these eighteen episodes, including numerous side plots with characters who never reappeared or see conclusions, is so depressing.
And this is how the show ends.

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.

Thatim posted:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Lynch better reveal he's been in France writing season 4 this whole time.

Man, what a swerve for the last episode. He was on a solid, if slow path going up through 17. Episode 18 though really was Lynch deliberately messing with everyone. Not sure how I'll feel about this, hopefully he'll get an 8 episode season 4 to tie everything up. Hahah, yeah right.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

oh my god we never got follow-up on COCAINE MAGICIAN

this is actually the biggest travesty

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It's not a dream because the loving people who own the house are Tremond and Chalfont. The lady who answered the door is a goddamn Lodge spirit!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna have to echo the 17 ruled 18 didn't comments.

I don't really know what else to say right now. I don't feel cheated, but I do feel extremely disappointed with the lack of any kind of conclusion. This isn't usually how Lynch operates, ya know?

Holding out hope for a next season because this doesn't work as the end to the Twin Peaks story at all. Looking forward to more analysis and theorising coming out, though.

The whole Freddie vs BOB orb was so hilarious and I loved it.

Aaaahhhh there's just so much that deserves follow-up. Audrey, the second Diane, what Coop and Diane actually knew before they drove into this alternate place, if it's the past or another universe, etc.....god dammit Lynch hahahaha you fucker

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
18 was better than 17, and this is the greatest TV show of all time with the greatest ending of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
This Warlord dude on Reddit is so angry making me think this finale was in fact perfect.