Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
From reddit but a good theory i thought

quote:

My read of it: Cooper tried to change the timelines by saving Laura. He succeeded, partially: no one was wrapped in plastic when Pete Martell went out to fish. Score one for the FBI.

But as he was saving Laura, the Black Lodge said Not so fast and they plucked her away. So he tried to fix that as well. As Diane warned you, things could change. You're not Dale any more; you're Richard. And Diane is Linda. And now you hosed up the timeline so badly that there IS no Laura Palmer any more, just Carrie Paige. But she does indeed have a portion of Laura hidden deep inside, based on that final scream.

And the Palmer house doesn't have Palmers in it and never did; that doesn't mean that the Black Lodge spirits don't still live there. The Tremonds and the Chalfonts have taken up residence there instead of Bob. You didn't undo the nuclear test blasts that opened the gateway for them.

And the EvilCoop is within Cooper now; we saw glimpses of him in the sex scene and the diner, and while he was driving. But Dale's personality rose to the top. Unfortunately the Black Lodge is stronger than him and they still call the shots no matter which timeline you choose.

Welcome to my nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

No Mods No Masters posted:

It wasn't a dream; there were no questions left unanswered; it's just that love wasn't enough. To "save" Laura from death was like pushing a ball around the infinity symbol. Even if Cooper broke out of this new fugue, he would end up in another. Fugues within fugues, traps within traps, and lodge spirits harvesting their garmonbozia forever.

All in all, one of the best Lovecraftian endings ever.

I hate to say it because it almost devalues it by calling it a genre work like that, but this season really cemented Twin Peaks as the greatest cosmic horror anything anyone's ever made.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

No Mods No Masters posted:

I haven't gotten that beautiful growing anxiety as the clock ticks down on the last episode feeling since the sopranos finale, which was great, therefore this was great as well

Me watching the clock while they were driving: "How the hell is he going to wrap this up in 13 minutes??"

Me after the scream: "Oh, he's not. Ok then I guess."

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

I;m thinking about thos peaks

Haha

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"What year is this?" is the new "How's Annie" and it loving owns.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

CJacobs posted:

goodbye, Ray Donovan

Do this everyone! Show Showtime that the only reason we were subbing was Polyamory Twin Peaks!
I'm seriously doing this tomorrow after I have a chance to watch parts 17-18 again.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Is it the story of the little girl who lived down the lane?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Well at least it ended better than season 2.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

el oso posted:

Is it the story of the little girl who lived down the lane?

Is it?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Raxivace posted:

"What year is this?" is the new "How's Annie" and it loving owns.
So I guess he ended up in 89 again? An alternate 89, maybe?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FalsePriest posted:

I like this

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, pretend I posted this instead:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man I really wish episode 17 had been the end. I do like the idea of Laura being the dreamer (I still think people are reading too much into that line though) and the end being her waking up from the fake dream world, so if there is an explanation to be found somewhere, I hope it's something like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FalsePriest posted:

This satisfies me way more than the "it was all Richard's dream" theory.

Cooper trapped in an infinite nightmare loop where something goes wrong no matter how he tries to fix things is my poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Le Saboteur posted:

I like that Cooper created a reality where Pete Martell just had a nice chill day fishing.

This is the actual important revelation from the finale though.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
People are one hundred percent reading too much into that line. The ending didn't mean that the loving series was a dream.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I guess he ended up in 89 again? An alternate 89, maybe?

Not that this means anything but when he was driving around Odessa there was a post 2000s white dodge pickup sitting at an intersection.

I took note because I was wondering what year it was long before Cooper was. Also there was 0 cellphone use from anyone going on in ep 18.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Twin Peaks Season 3.33:You Can (Not) Redo

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FalsePriest posted:

I like this a lot. Basically good old naive Cooper thought he could fix everything, and ended up loving things up even more, just like when he originally went into the Black Lodge.

He basically goofed so badly he glitched out and crashed the universe.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well that was a ride. But I'm going to vote for the multiverse approach.

-Two Dianes, "Hey I just saw that black cat a moment ago..." glitch in the Matrix
-Wakes up in a new motel to get into a different car, and maybe a different state
-Very calculating Coop who doesn't even remark if the coffee is good or not

Seems like Laura was ripped from one timeline to another and had her memory damaged in that movie drama fashion where it takes a keyword/visual to remember who you were. I only assume that because the howling scream at the end made me think she remembered dying in that house.

Not what I wanted in an ending, but I enjoyed it.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I originally hoped Coop wouldn't come back because it would feel like a copout to have everything end on a "Coop solves everything and wraps everything up" note.

Glad to see Lynch was one step ahead of me. God that was amazing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Parents posted:

People are one hundred percent reading too much into that line. The ending didn't mean that the loving series was a dream.

Not the series, just the latter half of episode 18, is the going theory. You're doing a really bad job of defending the show btw, just going "actually it was really good" in one line posts over and over again is not going to convince anyone, sorry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheBizzness posted:

Not that this means anything but when he was driving around Odessa there was a post 2000s white dodge pickup sitting at an intersection.

I took note because I was wondering what year it was long before Cooper was. Also there was 0 cellphone use from anyone going on in ep 18.
All the signage at that Valero station looked like it was from the present, definitely not the 80s.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

CJacobs posted:

Not the series, just the latter half of episode 18, is the going theory. You're doing a really bad job of defending the show btw, just going "actually it was really good" in one line posts over and over again is not going to convince anyone, sorry.

ok, but consider this: it was really good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I imagine Cooper asking "what year is it" is more of a rhetorical question, really. He probably knows there's no satisfactory answer. The given answer probably would have been, y'know, 2017 or whenever the rest of the series took place. But that wouldn't have meant anything.

Low Desert Punk posted:

ok, but consider this: it was really good

I mean yes but generally it's a good idea to give some reasoning why you feel that way

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I liked that the new Dougie tulpa waking up had that totally gormless "Where am I? :haw:" delivery. One more completely different character for MacLachlan to play, even if very briefly. What's that, four? Five? Three different Dougies.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ranbo das posted:

I originally hoped Coop wouldn't come back because it would feel like a copout to have everything end on a "Coop solves everything and wraps everything up" note.

I think Lynch was one step ahead of everyone. You get so used to seeing lodge beings over the course of the series that you get lulled into a sense of comfort. The finale at last rips that away, reminding you that these are infinite beings and humans are at best their toys and at worst their cattle. Booper was an ant compared to Judy, and BOB was just one of her trillion eggs.

:cthulhu: it owns :cthulhu:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

TheBizzness posted:

It's 2010.

https://imgur.com/a/sHcZi

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Carrie Page isn't Laura Palmer.

She's Maddy.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

All the signage at that Valero station looked like it was from the present, definitely not the 80s.

The gas prices were ~$2.89-$3.05. Can't be 80s, that's normal gas prices in California right now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CJacobs posted:

I imagine Cooper asking "what year is it" is more of a rhetorical question, really. He probably knows there's no satisfactory answer. The given answer probably would have been, y'know, 2017 or whenever the rest of the series took place. But that wouldn't have meant anything.
Sheryl Lee was 25 years older as Carrie Page, so I guess he did end up in the present. The timeline of the series/FWWM had been erased, but he was still hearing echoes of it in the screams.

a dreaded hamwort
Nov 12, 2011

To anyone canceling: you still get a full month's subscription. When you cancel it should say the final date you can watch stuff, it won't cut you off right away. Depends on when you paid.

Anyway I'm feeling confused and deeply anxious, which is... kind of what I wanted?? So it's a win for me.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Nearly every episode had some reference to dreaming. Clearly Lynch/Frost meant something by it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

win peaks

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Also shoutout to Lynch for the quick shot of nipple tweaking.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'm usually really dumb at following this show but the last two episodes made more sense to me than most, like episode 8. I definitely thought the same thing as the "Welcome to my nightmare" theory person from Reddit right away.

I should get myself checked if Lynch made sense to me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Twin Peaks The Return: poo poo's still all fuckey

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Nothing Lynch has done has ever had a happy ending.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ranbo das posted:

I disagree, it would have been a good loop if he had. Redeem his failings from season 2. The Spirits of the lounge, to me, were just extensions of human emotion. Bob was strongest in Twin Peaks because of the unchecked evil that existed there. The giant was an extension of Cooper's goodness and Laura's inherent goodness. She was killed and he failed to stop evil in episode 2 and suffered 25 years of spending time with backwards talking weirdos.

Turning them into Lovecrafting god horrors is just dumb and I don't think that's what Lynch did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm sure my love of coffee and the american way can defeat infinite transdimensional beings whose express purpose is to devour my suffering - Cooper, an idiot