Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't stop thinking about Carl Rodd's "It's a loving nightmare." line now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Origami Dali posted:

Nothing Lynch has done has ever had a happy ending.

Um I'd like to introduce you to a little something called The Straight Story???

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Also, is Shelly's kid dead? Eh, who cares.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was horrendous and I like Inland Empire

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Not the series, just the latter half of episode 18, is the going theory. You're doing a really bad job of defending the show btw, just going "actually it was really good" in one line posts over and over again is not going to convince anyone, sorry.

I'm not paid to convince you the show was good. I just think it was good. gently caress off with your bad attitude.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

She doesn't have a completed IMDB page and she isn't the singer from Chromatics either :v:

I guess this was her only credit to date?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In a way Laura got the happiest ending out of anyone. She at least can comprehend some small fraction of the profound time and reality shattering crime that has been committed against her very soul.

If only we, in our blissful ignorance, were so lucky

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

yea ok posted:

win peaks

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Origami Dali posted:

Wild at Heart has an extremely happy ending iirc.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Andrigaar posted:

I only assume that because the howling scream at the end made me think she remembered dying in that house.

Maddy died there, not Laura. She died in the train car.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Origami Dali posted:

"Wild At Heart" did.

(Except for those who watched it.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Parents posted:

Wild at Heart has an extremely happy ending iirc.

No I think Sailor dies iirc

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think Lynch was one step ahead of everyone. You get so used to seeing lodge beings over the course of the series that you get lulled into a sense of comfort. The finale at last rips that away, reminding you that these are infinite beings and humans are at best their toys and at worst their cattle. Booper was an ant compared to Judy, and BOB was just one of her trillion eggs.

:cthulhu: it owns :cthulhu:

I dunno man. I feel like this wasn't spooky enough, oppressive enough or just plain atmospheric enough to be a proper cosmic horror story. Most of it was mundane like car rides, coffee and sweeping. Like 80% of it I'd say

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wild, that wasn't Amanda Seyfried playing another character as the waitress in the diner, that was Clint Eastwood's daughter :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I think Lynch having complete creative control made this slightly worse as an experience than if he'd had someone to tell him to rein it in, but I'm glad he got the chance to go as buckwild with it as he could have ever wanted to. It resulted in incredibly high highs, but also really low lows, with a pretty low amount of personal satisfaction given how much stuff happened. I really, really enjoyed it and I think Season 3 was a great experience but I definitely have no desire to rewatch it.

Your Parents posted:

I'm not paid to convince you the show was good. I just think it was good. gently caress off with your bad attitude.

I'm glad you think it's good but you're willingly injecting yourself into arguments where people are saying they didn't like it and offering no input so

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Straight Story also has a happy-ish ending.

Empress Brosephine posted:

No? Also Wild at Heart owns

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Empress Brosephine posted:

No, he runs across a bunch of cars to get to Lula and sings her "Love Me Tender", finally, implying that they're immediately getting married because Sailor said he'd only ever sing that song to his wife.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cacator posted:

The Straight Story also has a happy-ish ending.

No? Also Wild at Heart owns

I couldn't remember. I like Wild at Heart too should watch again.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

StopHangingDjs posted:

I dunno man. I feel like this wasn't spooky enough, oppressive enough or just plain atmospheric enough to be a proper cosmic horror story. Most of it was mundane like car rides, coffee and sweeping. Like 80% of it I'd say

It's almost as if the mundane is better at creating a sense of horror than the lurid. It's almost as if this is the obvious thesis statement of Lynch's entire career 🤔

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I think it's been posted in here already but Coop in E18 is definitely a mix of good & evil Dale.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Personally I think Lynch having complete creative control made this slightly worse as an experience than if he'd had someone to tell him to rein it in, but I'm glad he got the chance to go as buckwild with it as he could have ever wanted to. It resulted in incredibly high highs, but also really low lows, with a pretty low amount of personal satisfaction given how much stuff happened. I really, really enjoyed it and I think Season 3 was a great experience but I definitely have no desire to rewatch it.

I'm glad you think it's good but you're willingly injecting yourself into arguments where people are saying they didn't like it and offering no input so

I explained how I think the ending made sense and said it was great. You're contributing just as little, by your own metrics. Again, gently caress off with your bad attitude.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

el oso posted:

I think it's been posted in here already but Coop in E18 is definitely a mix of good & evil Dale.
Two birds with one stone IMO.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
Really the only thread I wish was tied up was the goofy bleeding guy in the jail cell. I think it's incredible that they left Audrey screaming "WHAT" in an ambiguous white room.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

el oso posted:

The repeated shots of first-person driving in the dark I thought made that very obvious.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish it just ended with number 17.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Clint's daughter is fuckin hot, what the hell.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Dennis Hopper's face in this scene is my reaction to the finale

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Audrey's story in S3 is Laura's in miniature. The end of the road for a human in the Twin Peaks universe is a screaming moment of realization of how unspeakably hosed you are.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The silent Rancho Rosa/Showtime logos at the end of 18's credits remind me of 24's silent clock from whenever a major character died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeiUOiIzk8k

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's almost as if the mundane is better at creating a sense of horror than the lurid. It's almost as if this is the obvious thesis statement of Lynch's entire career 🤔

As evidenced by the mundane series finale of Twin Peaks in which the protagonist goes back in time across spiritual dimensions

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

yea ok posted:

win peaks

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

:lol: those signs only update after the national census... which was last in 2010.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013

Completely disagree. Lynch can be unnerving but for the most part here I'd say he wasn't. Watching Ed play with fire Audrey scream at her husband wasn't to me. Maybe you wake up screaming in a cold sweat when you have nightmares of dudes having coffee or sometimes you remember rode roadtrips can't stop shaking. I am not one of those people

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Pinterest Mom posted:

The repeated shots of first-person driving in the dark I thought made that very obvious.

His voice, too - deeper and slower than Good Coop, but not so much as Bad Coop.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EVERYTHING WAS A DREAM? gently caress THAT poo poo, ALTERNATE NIGHTMARE DIMENSION!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

wa27 posted:

:lol: those signs only update after the national census... which was last in 2010.

Yeah, I know.

Fine then, it's "at least" 2010.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh wild, that wasn't Amanda Seyfried playing another character as the waitress in the diner, that was Clint Eastwood's daughter :stare:

texas waitress kristi is my favorite anime

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I was wondering what the giant meant by 430 from ep 1, but I just realized that Coop and Diane drove 430 miles exactly.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am incredibly disappointed that was how Twin Peaks ended I hope that stupid book wraps things up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
wraps things up