Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RubberLuffy posted:

I finished Shin Mazinger, which was good, ending was kind of a bummer, i want that sequel. I then watched GR Armageddon, which was really good, although it had some real wtf moments (like them seeing the wormhole in the last episode and immediately being like "we must go there and fight eternally". ummm how do you know that)

It's less "know" and more "want". It's what happens when your team is made out of sociopaths, of course they will be at their happiest in endless bloodshed, and they're given the chance to have exactly that. They won't say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Garzey's Wing doesn't have any robots in it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Being a Getter Pilot brings you many routes to Valhalla

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
and Musashi knows all of them

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
New Mazinger Z film trailer dropped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xNOH5QfHQk The new Mazinger Z Movie looks interesting. I'm curious which universe this takes place in. I have no idea who the blonde girl is unless its their take on Minerva.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm watching Voltron Season 3

Boy they're telegraphing Evil Voltron pretty loving hard

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Season 2 already pretty much ended with an Evil Voltron, just by virtue of it being humanoid and Voltron-sized, since the show has no other robots than Voltron and almost no other humanoids period since there were only ever a couple of Robeasts.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caphi posted:

Season 2 already pretty much ended with an Evil Voltron, just by virtue of it being humanoid and Voltron-sized, since the show has no other robots than Voltron and almost no other humanoids period since there were only ever a couple of Robeasts.

I'm just saying, I'm a third of the way through the season and they've introduced a team of five bad guys who just got a Voltron sized lump of the stuff Voltron is made of.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm just saying, I'm a third of the way through the season and they've introduced a team of five bad guys who just got a Voltron sized lump of the stuff Voltron is made of.

That they've made into clearly the top half of a robot!

Honestly, I'm pretty sympathetic to Lotor. He seems smart, compassionate, and like he wants to build a decent Federation. There's the question of what happens if you don't want to be in his group, but by comparison to the government he offers, Voltron is a single military unit whose entire platform and M.O. is "gently caress the Galra."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess I was wrong about being a third of the way through the third season. Why is it half length?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I've heard the producers made the decision to air story arcs rather than make viewers wait for full seasons.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Revolver Bunker posted:

New Mazinger Z film trailer dropped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xNOH5QfHQk The new Mazinger Z Movie looks interesting. I'm curious which universe this takes place in. I have no idea who the blonde girl is unless its their take on Minerva.

So that explains the aesthetic of the Metal Build Mazinger Z, and why they're making a Metal Build at all given the sheer amount of other diecast posable figure merch that exists for the various designs.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Caphi posted:

That they've made into clearly the top half of a robot!

I was thinking those were the legs of an evil voltron.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm watching Voltron Season 3

Boy they're telegraphing Evil Voltron pretty loving hard

It's annoying that the characters don't seem to see it coming but I'm fine with it as a thing, I suppose. It's been done before in the franchise.

Honestly it's almost weird that Voltron is like the only robot in a galaxy of spaceships I suppose.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

It's annoying that the characters don't seem to see it coming but I'm fine with it as a thing, I suppose. It's been done before in the franchise.

Honestly it's almost weird that Voltron is like the only robot in a galaxy of spaceships I suppose.

That actually makes sense to me. Giant humanoids are pretty much the least practical vehicle designs, and giant humanoids that spend most of their time in space are even more so. By embracing and exaggerating that impracticality (it's not just a warship shaped like a great big metal knight, it's a great big metal knight made out of great big metal lions), Voltron stands out amidst a universe full of more conventional sci-fi designs as something otherworldly - not a simple weapon, but an ancient god of war.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Space is actually probably the best place for humanoid vehicles if the four limbs are used to move thrusters for fine positioning. Obviously they don't need to be giant and it would still be hugely impractical, but space would be where they work the best.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

Space is actually probably the best place for humanoid vehicles if the four limbs are used to move thrusters for fine positioning. Obviously they don't need to be giant and it would still be hugely impractical, but space would be where they work the best.

Or you know, using your limbs to orient yourself in a way that doesnt expend propellant as is the premise for mobile suits.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

That actually makes sense to me. Giant humanoids are pretty much the least practical vehicle designs, and giant humanoids that spend most of their time in space are even more so. By embracing and exaggerating that impracticality (it's not just a warship shaped like a great big metal knight, it's a great big metal knight made out of great big metal lions), Voltron stands out amidst a universe full of more conventional sci-fi designs as something otherworldly - not a simple weapon, but an ancient god of war.

Oh yeah it makes sense from that perspective, it's just weird in a genre sense. Usually there's a bunch of robots or the enemies also have some robots or whatever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Oh yeah it makes sense from that perspective, it's just weird in a genre sense. Usually there's a bunch of robots or the enemies also have some robots or whatever.

Ideon did it, and the Evangelions and RahXephon were short on humanoid enemies, even if they did show up on occasion.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Full Metal Panic season 1 is getting a film trilogy "director's cut" version.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tADZj3zW61I
i made... a mecha amv

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Neat stuff. I listen to these mixtapes at work sometimes and every time I start imaging cutting mecha scenes to them and it sounds cool in my head but also like an impossible amount of editing work.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Light Gun Man posted:

Neat stuff. I listen to these mixtapes at work sometimes and every time I start imaging cutting mecha scenes to them and it sounds cool in my head but also like an impossible amount of editing work.

Haha, I knew exactly what this was going to be before clicking it, because I have had a similar thought.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Snooze Cruise posted:

Haha, I knew exactly what this was going to be before clicking it, because I have had a similar thought.

Getters for The Glow, Great Mazinger for Thunder In Your Heart. (oh man i'm glad it wasn't just me)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

FMP ranks among the best shows I've seen and this and the new TV series is amazing news.

Since the LN Ended, I wonder where I can find spoilers. I'm genuinely curious how the love triangle was resolved.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

khy posted:

FMP ranks among the best shows I've seen and this and the new TV series is amazing news.

Since the LN Ended, I wonder where I can find spoilers. I'm genuinely curious how the love triangle was resolved.

The full translated text of all the light novels is floating around, but I can address your spoiler. Kaname and Souske get together. Tessa leaves with someone else.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That was really good and I want to watch Macross now, thanks

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Midjack posted:

The full translated text of all the light novels is floating around, but I can address your spoiler. Kaname and Souske get together. Tessa leaves with someone else.

Thank you very much. Part of me wants to check out the LNs but... I dunno. In the past every attempt I've made at getting into Novels has been disappointing, while anime/mangas of the series have been enjoyable.

I guess I'm just not much of an LN type of guy.

Hooray, I was worried they'd try to end it by killing off Sagara instead of resolving it or something, so hearing that those two hooked up is extremely nice

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you want to know what happens, read the FMP Sigma manga.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nate RFB posted:

If you want to know what happens, read the FMP Sigma manga.

Yeah, Sigma is good though it really lacks in comedy after a point.

There's a sort of awkwardly inserted flashback arc at one point right before the climax specifically just to have some levity because it gets really grim.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Zone of the Enders Idolo is pretty good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Zone of the Enders Idolo is pretty good.

The Zone of the Enders animes are my favorite Objectively lovely Terrible Mecha Anime. Dolores, I has the animation budget of a sponge but it genuinely is an honestly touching well-done story with a nonstandard protagonist, some really creative takes on common mecha tropes, and Koyasu as the main villain in full ham-it-the-gently caress-up mode.

Also it has an entire episode which is literally Die Hard for no reason. Not similar-to-die-hard, Literally Die Hard.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Dolores, I dub is absolutely magical because it's ADV in full "if we can't voice good we can still voice lots" mode.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

ImpAtom posted:

The Zone of the Enders animes are my favorite Objectively lovely Terrible Mecha Anime. Dolores, I has the animation budget of a sponge but it genuinely is an honestly touching well-done story with a nonstandard protagonist, some really creative takes on common mecha tropes, and Koyasu as the main villain in full ham-it-the-gently caress-up mode.

Also it has an entire episode which is literally Die Hard for no reason. Not similar-to-die-hard, Literally Die Hard.

Dolores, I is wonderful because it's just batshit insane and has a 40 year old space trucker dad as a protagonist with a mecha that thinks its a girl and has goofy daydreams about dressing up like a princess. Then you find out WHY it does and it's just all sorts of hosed up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The Dolores, I dub is absolutely magical because it's ADV in full "if we can't voice good we can still voice lots" mode.

Nothing quite like the first four or so episodes subbing and dubbing it as "Orbital Flame" instead of "Orbital Frame" to show just how much effort they were putting into it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Whoa, holy poo poo. A third season of the main storyline could be pretty awesome!

FMP was one of those shows that nailed just about every strikezone for me at the time. Being a Front Mission nerd immediately got me into the smaller scale of the mecha here. I dug the slice of life episodes, and I liked the longer arcs. I got a HUGE kick out of Souske essentially being Kid Solid Snake, with all the awkwardness and hilarity that could entail in the setting.

The Second Raid kinda weirded me out when it first released. It wasn't bad, it was actually pretty cool in a lot of ways. It felt super rushed though, and something about the animation throughout the series just felt... off. Everything about the show felt... off. Maybe it was deliberate, there's a lot of unsettling things that happen throughout it. Maybe it was a budget thing. I dunno.

Fumoffu, though, is a loving treasure and should be preserved in a capsule for future generations.

I'm glad to see it coming back. Between this and Left Alive acting as a pseudo revival of Front Mission, I'm feeling really nostalgic at the moment :cry:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

Whoa, holy poo poo. A third season of the main storyline could be pretty awesome!

FMP was one of those shows that nailed just about every strikezone for me at the time. Being a Front Mission nerd immediately got me into the smaller scale of the mecha here. I dug the slice of life episodes, and I liked the longer arcs. I got a HUGE kick out of Souske essentially being Kid Solid Snake, with all the awkwardness and hilarity that could entail in the setting.

The Second Raid kinda weirded me out when it first released. It wasn't bad, it was actually pretty cool in a lot of ways. It felt super rushed though, and something about the animation throughout the series just felt... off. Everything about the show felt... off. Maybe it was deliberate, there's a lot of unsettling things that happen throughout it. Maybe it was a budget thing. I dunno.

Fumoffu, though, is a loving treasure and should be preserved in a capsule for future generations.

I'm glad to see it coming back. Between this and Left Alive acting as a pseudo revival of Front Mission, I'm feeling really nostalgic at the moment :cry:

Second Raid was by KyoAni. It was having proper animation by people who knew what they were doing that weirded you out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started watching Xabungle, and I like it. It's got all of the Tomino stuff that I like.

Little uncommented on character stuff, like when the big guy goes to shake Jiron's hand but then remembers his right arm is injured, and then slightly embarrassedly switches to the left hand. It's just a little touch that makes them feel more like real people.

Characters doing cool stuff in an uncool way. There's a hostage tied to a tree. In other mecha shows, I feel like the guy in the robot would save them by cutting the ropes with their robot sword, or maybe jumping out of the robot and untying them under fire. Jiron just rips the tree out of the ground and jams it hostage side first into the cockpit so he can free her in safety. But then has to climb over the tree so he can actually see what's going on outside.

and of course, characters just doing random, sometimes contradictory poo poo because it fits the character. Basically everything Cargo has done so far. She does what feels right to her in the moment, and every decision she makes makes sense on that level

The one problem is that all the robots are ugly. They're all terrible. The regular Walker Machines, fine, it makes sense they're ugly. They're like sci-fi fork lifts, why would they look cool. But the Xabungle is the worst. It transforms into a sports car pulling a U-Haul.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So the Xabungle turns into Rodimus Prime?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I like the Xabungle, but it looks like it should be the lead mecha of a different show.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's the worst transformation I've ever seen