Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Max Wilco posted:

The football/baseball player Bo Jackson? :confused:

Okay, Bo Jackson was a game-breakingly unstoppable player back in Tecmo Bowl, probably the most beloved NFL game on the NES. When Koei-Tecmo did that whole poll to see which characters they should include in All Stars, a bunch of us westerners actually wrote him in, in a desperate attempt to get the greatest video game star in Tecmo history into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Okay, Bo Jackson was a game-breakingly unstoppable player back in Tecmo Bowl, probably the most beloved NFL game on the NES. When Koei-Tecmo did that whole poll to see which characters they should include in All Stars, a bunch of us westerners actually wrote him in, in a desperate attempt to get the greatest video game star in Tecmo history into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0

So instead of 'Do not pursue Lu Bu', it would be 'Do not go after Bo?'

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

chumbler posted:

If I had one thing that's kinda bugging me about All Stars so far, it's that I would like the camera to be zoomed out and raised up a bit more. It feels a bit too close and low, and makes using Christophorus pretty annoying because her tubas block a lot of the screen.

After the other PS4 games, the performance on this one is pretty sketchy. The framerate isn't glacial but it is that sort of janky kinda-slow that is Gust's speciality.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It seems to run fine on the pro except for slowdown during the musou rave thing but I wouldn't trade the glowstick swords and everything thing else popping off during that for higher fps.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/903240454656942081 new step in the popularity voting

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Stelas posted:

After the other PS4 games, the performance on this one is pretty sketchy. The framerate isn't glacial but it is that sort of janky kinda-slow that is Gust's speciality.

Huh, I'm having the exact opposite results. The game is probably one of their best running games yet, for me.

Edit: Unless you're talking about it's performance on the PS4, not the PC.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Speaking of PC vs PS4... if I don't have much trouble with Nobunaga's Ambition's controls on PS4 and I were planning on picking up RTK13 and the PUK too - is there any reason to get it on Steam over the other? I presume the PS4 one is more...stable? But I do like mouse controls for these things. Probably can't go too wrong either way, but hey wasn't sure if there was opinion.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

PureRok posted:

Edit: Unless you're talking about it's performance on the PS4, not the PC.

Yeah. Non-pro, admittedly - I really should bite that bullet one of these days.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Squiggle posted:

Speaking of PC vs PS4... if I don't have much trouble with Nobunaga's Ambition's controls on PS4 and I were planning on picking up RTK13 and the PUK too - is there any reason to get it on Steam over the other? I presume the PS4 one is more...stable? But I do like mouse controls for these things. Probably can't go too wrong either way, but hey wasn't sure if there was opinion.

I can't speak for the PC version, but the PS4 version often suffers a lot of slowdown in large battles. And sometimes small battles. It seems kind of random really.

Otherwise it plays fine and hasn't crashed on me or anything.

Speaking of ROTk13, the expansion sure helped that game a lot. Playing Dong Zhuo's granddaughter and rampaging across Yuan Shao's territory as a Bandit queen, randomly attacking his armies and pillaging his cities so bad that Zhang Yan conquered him because he had no food or gold to pay his armies was... a lot of fun. Pity the AI is still braindead and the whole loyalty system remains superfluous. I went into edit mode, set every one of sun Jian's officers loyalty to nothing or near-nothing, and he still swallowed the south whole. You'd think there'd be at least ONE revolt.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 1, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Simply because loyalty is foul is not enough. If things are good and people get paid on time. they can take it(Loyalty rises). You'll get leavings and defections if things go bad and stay bad. You'll see a lot of leavings if you're small/becoming smaller and others are larger and more prosperous(They recognise staying with you is Bad and their chances are better elsewhere). I still ain't worked out how to make a small faction reach victory, at least not as a follower. I ain't risked being a Ruler yet.

AIs/Players need to target each other with actual Hires and Cajoles for that low loyalty to mean anything, and those frankly don't seem to be very common missions to be given out. Partly due to 'There are other things to do', like training troops and raising domestics, but also mostly because Cajole and Hire tend to often have problems completing it(Technically it's an INT thing(It gives 20 INT EXP on success), and is often a matter dealt with by Debate, but also can call for a Duel as well.), and the AI doesn't simply try again if it fails with time left to go, but just reports failure. The player is not so restricted.

This is only my impression. I'm sure someone will dress me down as 'Oh, that's all wrong, THIS is how it is'.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 1, 2017

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh, ROTK 13 is worth playing now?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I need to know that, as someone who is personally part of the problem, that if I buy a couple of Warriors All-Stars' specific costume DLCs (namely Nobunyaga and some boob-window ones), if I then complete the costume bundle later do I still get the three bonus costumes? It's odd because they appear as N/A for a price in the base-game DLC list but in the bundle itself they show as $2, then on their specific pages they have no price and just link the bundle. I'm impressed they even managed that. I just wanted to get a couple to get started and then complete the rest later.

Also holy poo poo Fate/Extella is 1) the most crazy-hectic musou system ever especially given that the AI has no qualms about invading territory for the win in the first 2 minutes and just keeps pushing and 2) has the most amazingly soppy dialogue in between missions, and I can't work out if it's made even better by the fact that I created a female avatar/Preator/whatever instead of the clearly intended male one, or if it's just as so-bad-it's-hilarious (and maybe good?) as it's going to get.

Drakenel posted:

Oh, ROTK 13 is worth playing now?

Also, does this one suffer slowdown on regular PS4? I know people were saying earlier about Nobunaga slowing down randomly with battles, but I've got that on PC so I'm okay there, but ROTK13 just never gets a decent discount and I found it on the cheap on PS4, just wondering if I shouldn't bother and go back to PC for it.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 4, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually the female MC of Extella is the canon one

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

markgreyam posted:

I need to know that, as someone who is personally part of the problem, that if I buy a couple of Warriors All-Stars' specific costume DLCs (namely Nobunyaga and some boob-window ones), if I then complete the costume bundle later do I still get the three bonus costumes? I just wanted to get a couple to get started and then complete the rest later.

I just checked (since I bought a costume not intending to ever buy the bundle; I think I made my opinion on bundles super clear here.).

I can still get the furry costumes in the bundle (the only way to get them) and my total price is $28.56 for the bundle. It shows the one I bought with a slash through it, but I don't know if it's removing its cost since I didn't check the price of the bundle beforehand.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 3, 2017

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I think it is removing it from the total cost because I'm seeing $29.75. I'm pretty close to changing my mind and just going all in anyway. As I said, part of the problem.

At least the newer games are separating out the costumes and also providing a discount bundle in the Steam form of "fill in the rest".

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually the female MC of Extella is the canon one

I can't tell if you're messing with me but now I'm stuck down the rabbit hole of typemoon.wikia and various Extella canon discussions so thanks for that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
IIRC Extella is supposed to follow the as-yet unaired anime of Fate/Extra in which the male Master is the canon one so.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I honestly wouldn't mind the whole first person romance narration if they actually let you choose what servant to follow on the route. I can't take the flowery descriptions of Nero when Nameless is the clearly superior option.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

The GIG posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind the whole first person romance narration if they actually let you choose what servant to follow on the route. I can't take the flowery descriptions of Nero when Nameless is the clearly superior option.

I'd suggest doing Nameless' side story at some point. I liked it decently for a person who'd have picked him in the previous games over Nero and Tamamo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

markgreyam posted:

I can't tell if you're messing with me but now I'm stuck down the rabbit hole of typemoon.wikia and various Extella canon discussions so thanks for that.

A lot of Fate stuff can be pretty gay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was being facetious but there's no way the story was done with the male MC being the default outside of a couple of instances of 'we forgot to change the pronoun', the female MC has different CG's and different responses sometimes.
If you'd said it was assuming that the player would be male though that I would agree with.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Sakurazuka posted:

If you'd said it was assuming that the player would be male though that I would agree with.

I don't know about that, because from what I hear

Elliotw2 posted:

A lot of Fate stuff can be pretty gay.

I just would have preferred if they'd done a search and replace on Husband/Wife in the text.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

markgreyam posted:

I just would have preferred if they'd done a search and replace on Husband/Wife in the text.

That's intentional actually

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I met the TLer for Extella at a con, and she was both well-versed in all things Type-Moon and very good at translation/localization on the fly as an interpreter. I have no doubt it was intentional.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

markgreyam posted:

What is the deal with the Fate/ games, anyway? I know it started off as a visual novel, and exploded into a whole multimedia sort of thing, but I don't actually know what the series is about.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

What is the deal with the Fate/ games, anyway? I know it started off as a visual novel, and exploded into a whole multimedia sort of thing, but I don't actually know what the series is about.

It kind of changes from series to series, but the gist is that mages summon legendary figures from myth and history to take part in periodic wars over a source of immense magical power.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I started watching Fate Zero over the weekend, which kinda made me want to play Fate Extella. It's pretty fun. Though I wish you could just build up your noble phantasm instead of finding 3 items for it in the stage.
Finished Nero's story before going to bed last night. and unlocked Arthuria.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the new wu character is xu sheng

Xu Sheng will be a playable character in Dynasty Warriors 9, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. He is voiced by Tarusuke Shingaki and uses “Dual Meteors” as his weapon.

The magazine also features a few returning officers and their weapons, including:

Wang Yuanji – Throwing Daggers
Sima Zhao – Sword
Xingcai – Sword and Shield
Zhang Bao – Dual Meteors
Cao Pi – Dual Blade
Zhenji – Whip

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

He looks okay.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

markgreyam posted:

That's both intentional due to the character's history, and also a localization thing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

quote:

In addition to the reveal of Xu Sheng (CV: Tarusuke Shingaki) who uses Dual Meteor Hammers as a weapon, the magazine shared details on the “State Combo System”:

There are three types of attacks: Trigger, Flow, React.

By pressing R1 and any of square, triangle, and X, you can activate a Trigger Attack to hit the enemies upwards, knock them out, or overturn them.

A Flow Attack is an attack that changes based on the enemy’s state.

R1 + square is a Trigger Attack that can then affect surrounding enemies with a Flow Attack. By pressing R1 + triangle you can hit enemies up in the air and follow up with a Flow attack that slams them back to the ground.

Think of it as using a Trigger Attack to inflict a certain condition to the enemy and then a Flow Attack as a follow up. From there you can continue using a different Trigger Attack and another Flow Attack.

You can also use a basic Flow Attack by hitting an enemy in a normal state.

The triangle button can be used as a “React” move, or a counter.

R1 + circle has varying effects depending on the character.

You can also wall jump to climb over buildings and ledges.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/05/dynasty-warriors-9-adds-xu-sheng-details-combo-system/

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

:geno:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Xingcai's alternate costume on the left isn't winning me over.

Raserys posted:

Sun Ce lost the tonfas

Again

:eyepop:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Sun Ce lost the tonfas

Again

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I know it's not technically a Musou game, but what's Bladestorm: Nightmare like? It piques my interest since it's focusing on the Hundred Years War. It seems like a interesting departure from the East Asia settings of Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors.

Also, what different about the Empires line of games?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I hope this won't be a case of Dynasty Warriors 6: Attack of the Clones. That will be very disappointing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I know it's not technically a Musou game, but what's Bladestorm: Nightmare like? It piques my interest since it's focusing on the Hundred Years War. It seems like a interesting departure from the East Asia settings of Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors.

Bladestorm plays kinda oddly, less like Dynasty Warriors and more like a weird RTS. The old demo for the PS3 showed how it worked well enough, so give the new demo a try I guess.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

i went into bladestorm intending to give it a honest chance, and i did so for way longer then i should have. its boring in every way possible. every map looks the same and might as well be randomly generated, the story is barely there and you must do dozens of storyless maps for every bit of it. the characters are dull. the gameplay is simple and just consists of you charging your unbeatable squad through everything, very occasionally changing it if you meet a hard coutner thats not underpowered, and then charging through that. don't buy

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a game that plays like more like Kessen 2 except less strategic. Your "character" is a squad or battalion of soldiers and the gimmick is that you switch around classes because of weapon type disadvantage.

Except Cavalry is like SUPER strong so there's no incentive to switch.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I forgot Kessen 2 existed and now want to track it down to see if it's as ridiculous as I remember.

Every Zhuge Laing should cast fireballs and and wear a ton of makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
We can't talk about Kessen II without an obligatory link to this classic scene -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIP2lEMqNa4