Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

What would be the "normal" price for a 1060 GTX if not for the current bitcoin mining bullshit? I wanna know how much money I'd be losing out by not waiting a few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Minorkos posted:

What would be the "normal" price for a 1060 GTX if not for the current bitcoin mining bullshit? I wanna know how much money I'd be losing out by not waiting a few months

Suggested msrp is $250 for a 6gb and $200 for 3gb.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

SlayVus posted:

Suggested msrp is $250 for a 6gb and $200 for 3gb.

So the price is inflated by about 30-60 bucks? I thought it'd be a lot worse than that

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Minorkos posted:

So the price is inflated by about 30-60 bucks? I thought it'd be a lot worse than that

Yeah, something like that, though the cheapest 1060 6GB I was able to find with a decent open cooler is like $300 right now, so at the high end of that scale. There is a Amazon Prime only deal with a Zotac Mini 1060 6GB for $270 which is a pretty good deal, I'm not a fan of Zotac and I'd probably just go for a different one but that price is one of the best I've seen for that card.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
It's a real poo poo time to buy a GPU right now.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

B-Mac posted:

It's a real poo poo time to buy a GPU right now.

It is also a bad time to buy memory or an SSD. Apparently graphics card prices are about to get worse because of increased prices for GDDR5 memory chips.

It is probably a bad time to buy an Intel CPU with the increased core count eighth-generation around the corner.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Keep in mind the occasional site-wide promotion. I used the Newegg Masterpass promo to get a 3GB 1060 and the Rocket Legaue code for $200 a couple weeks ago.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Minorkos posted:

Keep in mind usually by now in the cycle that GPU would probably be selling for 10-20% under msrp.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I paid $150 for a 1060 3 GB about 3 months ago, and 6 GBs could be had for a touch over $200 at that point in time.

Not long before I also got a 480 8 GB for $170 and a 4 GB for $130.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 3, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, yes, they're not doing "COME BUY THESE THINGS PLEASE" promotions and mail in rebates and stuff as much as they used to (the Destiny bundle coming back seems to be about blunting AMD's Vega pack more than anything), but we're talking "am I paying above manufacturer's suggested price" here.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
There is no way to stay out of politics over this but I beg everybody not too if possible, but recent news today suggests tariffs with south korea might get reinstated. This will no doubt worsen to price of memory and other component costs in GPUs and plain ram and SSDs of course. Unfortunately all of the cutting edge stuff in these categories pretty much wholly comes from there. Im hoping its more blowharding negotiation tactics that ultimately fail but it is something that directly affects pretty much this entire subforum. The floated percentages are fairly small but retaliation pricing is almost guaranteed if that were to happen.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They don't know if they have to get Congressional approval to withdraw from the trade agreement in place, and if they do then (assuming the same logic used in NAFTA etc applies here) they just revert back to whatever the trade policies were before KORUS was passed in 2007.

I wouldn't run out and buy thousands of dollars of equipment spooked by this.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Isn't Taiwan the major manufacturer anyway?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Volguus posted:

Samsung and Hynix are the major part of the DRAM market now.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Volguus posted:

Yes but the affected companies are South Korean made there or not (though a lot still is domestically produced I believe for them).

Not trying to be doomsday but in terms of politics and GPUs/computer stuff its something to pay attention to where GPUs concerns are GDDR and HBM is practically entirely Samsung and Hynix, though worst case scenario theres gonna be a lot more heartache for consumer products than simply computer conponents.

I left out a big one, nearly all LCD panels and its derivatives are actually made (and developed for that matter) by South Korean companies. Virtually every monitor, TV, and cell phone display no matter the brand is made by LG and Samsung. Thats been the case since the dawn of consumer LCDs even before LG branded anything they had over 70% of the market in 2007. Sony was the third piece of the pie but their influence is nonexistent these days.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 3, 2017

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Another data point for GPUmageddon: I was in microcenter yesterday and the one 1060 they had was 3 GB and cost $250

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Minorkos posted:

Before the mining boom, a few brands (like PNY and ZOTAC) had 6GB SKUs that went below $200 after rebates and/or promo codes. I also distinctly remember 8GB 480s hitting $160-180.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Last december I paid $280 (each) for 2x ASUS ROG Strix 480s. Also got a GT1060 for $260. I got raped.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Before the mining boom, a few brands (like PNY and ZOTAC) had 6GB SKUs that went below $200 after rebates and/or promo codes. I also distinctly remember 8GB 480s hitting $160-180.

And then AMD had to come out with a 580 so they can justify jacking the prices up again. With 480s at that price point theres nothing else occupying that price/performance aside from used gpus.

At least mining boon has allowed undesirable cards like the 980 ti to drop in price and I got a hell of steal on strix 980 ti for $235.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Daaaamn, I just grabbed Rise of the Tomb Raider from the Humble monthly and I'm amazed how gorgeous it looks on high settings and how well it plays on 3440x1440 on a GTX970.
45 fps + GSync make for a nice gaming experience. I thought I was going to be forced into a 1080i upgrade sooner than later, but I can live with this until the next generation drops.

Again, :drat:

That opening sequence in the mountains :monocle:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

mcbexx posted:

Daaaamn, I just grabbed Rise of the Tomb Raider from the Humble monthly and I'm amazed how gorgeous it looks on high settings and how well it plays on 3440x1440 on a GTX970.
45 fps + GSync make for a nice gaming experience. I thought I was going to be forced into a 1080i upgrade sooner than later, but I can live with this until the next generation drops.

Again, :drat:

That opening sequence in the mountains :monocle:

But if you dont own two 1080tis then youll never be able to have two 1080tis

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

It's kind of ridiculous that (before buttcoiners anyway), for 200 bucks, you could get a card that could max out basically every game at 1080p except for Witcher 3 Ultra + Hairworks and poorly optimized games like Deus Ex MD.

IIRC, since at least the 4870 times you always made a compromise that wasn't resolution based with the mid-range cards. Like a mid-range card was a [typical resolution] at medium settings card.

Now the mid-range card is a [typical resolution] at high/ultra possibly even with AA card.

I find it continually amazing that I can play BF1 @ 1080p at above 60FPS at max settings on my GTX 1060 laptop which is like 10~15% worse than a GTX1060 desktop.

It's better than my old HD7970 which was a tier-2 card of it's day, and certainly couldn't max out BF3/4 at stay above 60 fps.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
144 Hz raised the bar. Nowadays people gripe if they can't stay at 75 fps or more at ultra settings.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I was talking with some NVIDIA rep today about displays and said that I wanted the LG 38" with Gsync instead, except 100Hz, and didn't they have enough leverage to make that happen?

He just laughed awkwardly, but I know I made a difference in the LG/NVIDIA relationship.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I was talking with some NVIDIA rep today about displays and said that I wanted the LG 38" with Gsync instead, except 100Hz, and didn't they have enough leverage to make that happen?

He just laughed awkwardly, but I know I made a difference in the LG/NVIDIA relationship.

Maybe he laughed because it's already in testing and he just can't break NDA? We can always dream...

(that's literally the exact monitor I want, so half of me wants to thank you and half of me wants to give you the finger for making me want an upgrade two weeks after I bought an X34 :mad:)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

Maybe he laughed because it's already in testing and he just can't break NDA? We can always dream...

(that's literally the exact monitor I want, so half of me wants to thank you and half of me wants to give you the finger for making me want an upgrade two weeks after I bought an X34 :mad:)

I don't think the people they send to haunt computer part reseller booths at fan expo are briefed on partner info, but sure, let's say that.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

144 Hz raised the bar. Nowadays people gripe if they can't stay at 75 fps or more at ultra settings.

Pretty much the reason why I'm not upgrading monitor. Because I can't control myself when it comes to tech spending.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I couldn't afford to be caught in that "GPU then monitor then GPU then monitor" trap, but I'm looking for a monitor anyway because this TV causes strain and the only monitors I own are from ten years ago when 1080p was a luxury thing and everything below $500 in monitors and TVs alike didn't have as many lines of resolution as my tablet.

I'm thinking I should buy a used 1080p Gsync monitor, since I can probably get one for less than $300.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

I couldn't afford to be caught in that "GPU then monitor then GPU then monitor" trap, but I'm looking for a monitor anyway because this TV causes strain and the only monitors I own are from ten years ago when 1080p was a luxury thing and everything below $500 in monitors and TVs alike didn't have as many lines of resolution as my tablet.

I'm thinking I should buy a used 1080p Gsync monitor, since I can probably get one for less than $300.

I bought my Dell 27 1440p 144hz Gsync for $400 shipped, but you have to watch the prices constantly. It's happened 3 times now that I've seen though. It's TN, but otherwise great. Amazon, Newegg, and Bestbuy all sold it for that at one point or another this year

edit: Should have checked first but it looks like its back on sale again though for $428 from Dell

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yes but that's more money than I want to spend and more monitor than I need. I just need to stop straining my eyes to read posts at 55ppi (some nights I leave my computer and read the forums on my iPad so my eyes can relax) and get a monitor that's not going to send my 1070 into early obsolescence.

Buying used is fine because I can ask the owner about dead pixels and subject them to eBay Hell if they lie. The only thing I don't like buying used is keyboards and mice because people's hands are filthy, and lately GPUs since cryptocurrency was invented.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Yes but that's more money than I want to spend and more monitor than I need. I just need to stop straining my eyes to read posts at 55ppi (some nights I leave my computer and read the forums on my iPad so my eyes can relax) and get a monitor that's not going to send my 1070 into early obsolescence.

Buying used is fine because I can ask the owner about dead pixels and subject them to eBay Hell if they lie. The only thing I don't like buying used is keyboards and mice because people's hands are filthy, and lately GPUs since cryptocurrency was invented.

Oh in that case you can definitely swing 1080p monitors used or even sometimes new under $300. I can tell you from experience they can be oddly difficult to search for and I actually end up just searching "gsync" and scrolling through the mess because otherwise you miss out on a lot of listings. I'm pretty sure I've seen ROG 1080p (like 180 hz or something insane) gsync monitors for $200-$250 used or factory refurb pretty consistently.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

1gnoirents posted:

I bought my Dell 27 1440p 144hz Gsync for $400 shipped, but you have to watch the prices constantly. It's happened 3 times now that I've seen though. It's TN, but otherwise great. Amazon, Newegg, and Bestbuy all sold it for that at one point or another this year

edit: Should have checked first but it looks like its back on sale again though for $428 from Dell

I've been eyeing this but I've come to terms with the fact that monitors don't generate crypto money so only GPU upgrades for me :saddowns:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1gnoirents posted:

Oh in that case you can definitely swing 1080p monitors used or even sometimes new under $300. I can tell you from experience they can be oddly difficult to search for and I actually end up just searching "gsync" and scrolling through the mess because otherwise you miss out on a lot of listings. I'm pretty sure I've seen ROG 1080p (like 180 hz or something insane) gsync monitors for $200-$250 used or factory refurb pretty consistently.

The only drawback to 1080p Gsync is that I don't believe there are any IPS displays available for it. G-sync and IPS don't start until 1440p.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

SourKraut posted:

The only drawback to 1080p Gsync is that I don't believe there are any IPS displays available for it. G-sync and IPS don't start until 1440p.

There's the LG 34UC89G. It's a 34" ultrawide at 2560x1080. I wouldn't call it a budget option, though. There are also some VA panels out there.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The relative expensve of GSync has made 1440p the minimum viable buy-in for a long time now. The XB270HU/XB271HU IPS is really the baseline, there are only a few worthwhile options below that (S2716DG, S2417DG, XB270HU TN, XB240HU) and a few high-end options above that (X34). There are definitely a couple places where FreeSync has a better offering right now - the XR382CQK and the XF270HU are both great.

On the other hand, there's the usual caveat that a lot of the cheaper FreeSync monitors have lovely implementations. There are no 24" IPS monitors and most of the monitors that support LFC are the ones with >=144 Hz refresh rates.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Of course it's subjective to everyone so I'm not saying you're wrong for caring, but the difference between TN and IPS is in the "I don't give a poo poo" category for my own shopping.

1440p is going to take me out of higher settings even faster and cause me to scrunch up my nose at my consoles even harder than I'm doing already, so I'm purposefully avoiding it. There's a point where even if something does raise the bar you'd rather live the life of a happy ignorant luddite than understand the advantages of tech you simply can't afford.

I'm either doing something like this or I'm just buying another 60hz panel and skipping "gaming hardware".

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 4, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A 780 Ti/970/1060 tier card is actually good enough to drive 1440p reasonably well with GSync. Again, a whole bunch of the advantage of GSync comes in when you can't keep a very good framerate. If you're used to 45 fps then this will be the smoothest 45 fps you'll ever play.

The problem with FreeSync is that very few of the monitors with less than 144 Hz actually support LFC, and the ones that don't support LFC usually have a less-than-ideal bottom end sync range number, so you lose adaptive sync where you actually need it. So TN at 24" is still the best basic option there. Stepping up to the IPS 27" panels are still totally worth it though (XF270HU for $400 is the steal of the century).

As for cheap hardware - right now Maxwell (970/980 Ti) remains a very great budget option (let's say at $175 and $300-350 respectively), and at the right price (let's say under $150) a 780 Ti still isn't bad either as long as you accept that you'll be running in the DX11 mode for most games.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 4, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In summer 2017 nobody should be buying 1440p monitors that aren't EDG27 tbh.

https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-Certified-Monitor-Ergonomic-NX-EDG27S/dp/B071G6PGP7

1440p ips 30-144hz range for $420.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I recently bought a 1440p Freesync monitor (48-75hz range, seemingly able to be extended to 40-75hz via CRU) to do some moderate gaming on. It seems to be my options are either the RX 580 or the newer Vega 56. I’m leaning towards the RX 580, thinking it would be enough to get within my Freesync range at a mix of Medium and High settings for most games (particularly interested in PUBG and Titanfall 2). Is the RX 580 a good option for what I intend to do here or should I err on the side of more performance and get the Vega 56? I’m not in a huge rush to upgrade, so I’d be willing for Vega to become a bit more widely available, provided I would be waiting weeks rather than months.

Prices in my region would be roughly 420 Euros for Vega 56 and 250 Euros for RX 580.

The monitor from the post above is not available in my region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
580 is a good card for the games you mentioned, but many people won't run PUBG at high settings because of the competitive advantage that comes when you remove a lot of the visual clutter, dynamic grass or whatever, and so on, and make it look like a game from 13 years ago.

Your problem is going to be finding one, given that mining has ruined the availability of AMD cards.