Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also are the weakness cards set aside after you pick your random one or put in your deck or encounter deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
With that last question I seriously recommend rereading the instructions. If you're missing where weaknesses go (in your deck) and think you need to exceed (rather than equal or exceed) difficulty numbers to succeed in checks it is very likely you are making many other rules mistakes.

Which is fine. We all gently caress up some FFG rules the first few times playing. But we aren't going to be able to identify all mistakes made.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I usually try to throw away cards for the icons so drawing a skull from the chaos bag doesn't trigger a negative result, but needing a -1 or better isn't that bad on normal difficulty.

Since the mission ends after you beat the cultist, using the rest of your hand to get +1/+2 on each of those attacks is worth it, and needing a -2 or -3 is pretty good odds.

Edit: I wouldn't play on hard without a second core set. Being able to include 2 machetes, 2 vicious blows, and 2 police officers with skids is a huge deal. 2 mind over matters with daisy is similarly important. Note that the example starter decks are intentionally bad to encourage deck building.

Imo you don't want two cops. You won't have charisma yet, and you have access to Leo, use him.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PJOmega posted:

With that last question I seriously recommend rereading the instructions. If you're missing where weaknesses go (in your deck) and think you need to exceed (rather than equal or exceed) difficulty numbers to succeed in checks it is very likely you are making many other rules mistakes.

Which is fine. We all gently caress up some FFG rules the first few times playing. But we aren't going to be able to identify all mistakes made.

I found the answer; they kind of hid it though near the end of the Learn to Play guide. FFG doesn't do a good job imho with their learn to play guides, or atleast the placement of their information. :shrug:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Empress Brosephine posted:

I found the answer; they kind of hid it though near the end of the Learn to Play guide. FFG doesn't do a good job imho with their learn to play guides, or atleast the placement of their information. :shrug:

Don't worry, they're pretty infamous for how bad their rulebooks are. I highly suggest using this instead: http://www.orderofgamers.com/downloads/ArkhamHorrorCardGame_v1.pdf

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

alansmithee posted:

Imo you don't want two cops. You won't have charisma yet, and you have access to Leo, use him.

I'm not as into Leo with Skids due to his ability. I find he needs more help succeeding checks than getting more actions. Cops also don't last long due to their ability to die for automatic damage, so having multiple early game is fine. Dogs are arguably better before you upgrade cops.

I play on hard though, where I don't think Skids has enough base combat ability to thrive without help. Leo is probably fine otherwise.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bottom Liner posted:

Don't worry, they're pretty infamous for how bad their rulebooks are. I highly suggest using this instead: http://www.orderofgamers.com/downloads/ArkhamHorrorCardGame_v1.pdf

this is great, I used theirs for LOTR didn't even know they had a Arkham Horror one.

e; answered my question

sorry for all the questions :qq:

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 1, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

No worries, like I said there are always rules to miss in FFG games.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

I feel like i'm playing this game wrong but going through the core and it seems 10x as hard as LOTR LCG is....I got up to the last Act of the first campaign with the Ghoul Priest, had to do 10 damage and realzied it was basically impossible with my selections (Daisy and Skids) :( what did I do wrong

The only thing I could say you did "wrong" is expect that the end conditions for the scenarios are a binary win/lose. They are very much role-playing lite, and resigning a scenario or losing all your health and/or sanity has a narrative result in and of itself (which can make for an amusing series of events, see my hobo posts earlier in the thread).

The game is definitely pretty hard, even on normal difficulty. I've been an avid collector and player since it released, and I still don't have a very good handle on how to commit the right amount of cards/icons to checks.

I would say approach this game like you would any other Arkham Files game from FFG: like an experience generator rather than a straight puzzle.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that makes a lot more sense. I didn't realize that resigning or fleeing from the ghoul priest was a valid outcome or that I should try to explore and investigate as much as I can before advancing acts. I was I the LOtR mind set where you should commit and act as fast as you can before you get overwhelmed.

But this last game I did end up getting overwhelmed. Oh well still had fun.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

If I want to buy an upgraded version of a level 0 card do I first have to already have that level 0 card in my deck?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Nope, just slot it in. The only cards caring about what you already have in your deck (currently: Strange Solution) explicitly state it in their text.

Do bear in mind that if you upgrade level 1+ cards (e.g. level 1 Aquinnah to level 3 Aquinnah) you can discount their cost by the xp price of the former.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Remember, too, that you still have to adhere to the deckbuilding restrictions on your character card. If they can have up to 30 cards (not counting weakness/signature ability/signature weakness cards), then when you slot in an upgraded card, something else has to get knocked out of the deck to keep it at 30 cards.

The exceptions to this rule are cards with the Permanent keyword. They do not contribute to your deck size, nor are they ever really "in play", so they can't be discarded by any encounter cards, etc. They really are quite permanent.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Theoretically, if you buy a L3 card in game 1, then in game 3 buy a different L3 card and choose to replace the first one, would you have to spend XP again to get the first card back?

Or once you've bought a card does it sit in your pool of eligible cards to be swapped in and out as you choose?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, if you throw out a card, it's XP lost, tough luck - unless you're getting a higher-level version of the same card, where the aforementioned discount applies.

Also, remember level 0 cards cost 1 XP past initial deck construction.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
In addition, a card always costs at least 1 XP. e.g. If you replace a L3 card with lower level card, even with the same name, you still must spend 1 XP to swap them. This follows the same logic as needing to spend 1 XP to swap in L0 cards for other L0 cards.

The exception here is if you pick up the rogue asset Adaptable, which allows you to swap up to two L0 cards in between scenarios at no cost.

e: I'm a dumb-dumb.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 3, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

What's a good combo to start dunwich with? I'm thinking Zoey and Daisy?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

In addition, a card always costs at least 1 XP. e.g. If you replace a L3 card with another L3 card, even though they are the same cost (3), you still must spend 1 XP to swap them. This follows the same logic as needing to spend 1 XP to swap in L0 cards.

I thought you only discounted the cost from the existing level if it was the same card and you were upgrading it? So it'd cost 3 in that case.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Steve2911 posted:

I thought you only discounted the cost from the existing level if it was the same card and you were upgrading it? So it'd cost 3 in that case.

You're right, I was thinking about it incorrectly. I edited my original post to better reflect what I was thinking of, and to point out what a dumb-dumb I am.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShaneB posted:

What's a good combo to start dunwich with? I'm thinking Zoey and Daisy?

Guardian + Seeker is always strong, but survivor and mystic is my favorite combo now. Ashcan Pete is just too good with Duke.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I've loved Pete since my first play but man, Dark Horse is such a power spike for the Scooby Doo duo.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Lichtenstein posted:

I've loved Pete since my first play but man, Dark Horse is such a power spike for the Scooby Doo duo.

Stealing the "Scooby Doo" bit. That's gold.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Lichtenstein posted:

How do you end up playing this? I took Ashcan Pete through all but the last two Dunwich scenarios but ended up skipping Dark Horse since it didn't quite fit into my build.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It really requires you to build and play around it, but it's crazy powerful for any "all around" character like the survivors or Lola (especially her, I think). Pete makes great use of it because of Duke's comboing and versatility.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did the second scenario of the core box and ooooh my god I hosed that up royal. One successful interrogation, I thought I was about to clean up the second and third in one turn but I got unlucky with the skill checks. Then the Masked Hunter pounded the poo poo out of me because I failed to kill him, then the encounter card draw finished me straight off. That is one un-defeated cult.

I picked up Curse of the Rougarou so I'm tempted to use it as a side quest before act 3, but I'm conscious of how many drat monsters there are in it from my brief skim and the fact that my character's already limping like a kicked dog.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Has anyone picked up a third core set to play with more people? I am kind of considering it. How do the scenarios scale up to 4 with a third core?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Four people tends to be a little bit of a slog. I've had fun doing some scenarios with four people, but you definitely need to set aside time for it as the main event of an evening.

Five or six people I think would generate too much downtime for each player and would end up making the game kinda boring.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The game is designed for 1-4, pretty sure it would break down with 5+ drawing from the mythos pile and the per investigator mechanics, not to mention being boring with that much downtime. 4 is a blast though, more challenging but you have more to work with and it becomes a real team effort. The new Carcosa scenarios are especially awesome at 4.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

How do you end up playing this? I took Ashcan Pete through all but the last two Dunwich scenarios but ended up skipping Dark Horse since it didn't quite fit into my build.

I usually play Pete solo and with a very cheap deck, so Dark Horse is a no brainer. I'm usually swimming in resources.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Up until Dark Horse I used Shrivelling as my backup weapon (to leverage Pete's high willpower), but now I take the Horse with with Fire Axe to dump the cash for those sweet buffs that apply to both Duke and Pete himself. Upgrade Peter Sylvestre you have anyway and you end up with a ridiculous statline to excel at whatever you feel like.

Having Duke, you don't really fret about being starved for cash, since turning cards into scooby snacks is as good as playing them most of the time and you don't really have any major material needs - Dark Horse and Sylvestre are your most expensive setup cards (at 3) and then all the stuff costs 1 or 2 bucks. The dog really trivializes the downside of being broke.

Nice combo cards (not necessary at all, but fancy nevertheless):
Scrapper - just sits out there from turn 1 allowing you to dump resources at instant speed whenever you feel like (e.g. if you want the dark horse buff for a skill test called by a treachery card).
Forbidden Knowledge - conversely, this lets you sit empty-handed for the buff and instantly take an emergency resource (using Sylvestre to tank Horror) so you can play Ward of Protection or take another axe swing at +3 combat and 2 damage.

I personally run a single Forbidden Knowledge as my fifth splash, it's nice to enable events.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Do basic weaknesses, allies, etc, with scenario/mythos pack icons stay separate in their scenarios and only get used there? Or do I shove them into the basic weaknesses stack I shuffle up during deck building?

Additionally, are you supposed to swap out basic weaknesses each play for a new random one?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Rex shines like crazy in a 4 player scenario. So many clues to vacuum up in a single action... :allears:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

ShaneB posted:

Do basic weaknesses, allies, etc, with scenario/mythos pack icons stay separate in their scenarios and only get used there? Or do I shove them into the basic weaknesses stack I shuffle up during deck building?

Additionally, are you supposed to swap out basic weaknesses each play for a new random one?

You shuffle them all together.

Basic weaknesses stay with your character/deck from when you initially create a deck.

(Honestly though, if you want to make it more thematic or just feel like swapping them out, you can. The above points are just Rules As Written.)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Rex shines like crazy in a 4 player scenario. So many clues to vacuum up in a single action... :allears:

I havent played Rex yet. What happened?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I havent played Rex yet. What happened?

He can get an extra clue if he succeeds by enough. Combine with upgraded deduction and someone else's double or nothing to pick up 8 in a single action.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

He can get an extra clue if he succeeds by enough. Combine with upgraded deduction and someone else's double or nothing to pick up 8 in a single action.

:vince:That's awesome. What are some other really strong combos you guys have found?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That's the main one. We don't have Double or Nothing in our group, but I did just pick up Deciphered Reality (https://arkhamdb.com/card/02303) for the last Dunwich scenario and I hope to get a good 7+ clue turn... :allears:

But in general, if Rex can spend his turn Investigating he can easily grab 6+ clues in a single turn if the Shroud is low. Add in Pathfinder and you can clean up an "One Clue per Investigator" in two actions, free move to another location, and grab two more there. The only thing holding me back last session was that I got Frozen in Fear so my first move cost double.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 4, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do anty of you guys ever play on TTS? Would like ot play a multi game sometime instead of myself, could probably learn how to play better too lol

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rex, in a vacuum, seems almost broken. Will they errata him to make it a once a turn thing?

I absolutely can't wait to ditch these lovely Roland/Wendy starter decks my wife and I are using during the core campaign and to build some butcher/reporter stompface decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

:vince:That's awesome. What are some other really strong combos you guys have found?

Double or Nothing is also good with Expose Weakness. Expose Weakness lowers the base difficulty, pre-doubling. Combine with a Shotgun for an easy 10 damage. 14 with upgraded Vicious Blow. Flashlight while investigating works similarly.

Double or Nothing is really good with Mystics. Rite of Seeking or Shrivelling can go a lot further. Double or Nothing, Fearless, and Liquid Courage heals 5 horror (7 with upgraded Fearless).

Speaking of Flashlights, the chaos bag can't drop you below 0. Flashlight lets you automatically succeed (baring auto failure) shroud 2 locations regardless of your investigation stat.

Not an elaborate combo, but I rather like Shortcut. Pushing your combat monster into the room with the big bad means they get an extra attack, which could be the difference between winning and losing.

One last Double or Nothing trick, use it with Quick Thinking for two additional actions. I always take Quick Thinking with Rex Murphy since you want to succeed by 2+ already.

FAQ might imply Rex's ability doesn't work with DoN, but you can still get 7 clues and 2 extra actions with DoN.

Edit: Miskatonic University Double or Nothing using the special item to deal an absurd amount of damage to the creature in a single hit.

If you are playing with multiple investigators and have access to Double or Nothing take it.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 4, 2017