Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Seriously, is there a way to listen to music that I can actually hold on to that doesn't suck for either me or the artist? Preferably that doesn't ask me to curate my own awful, nebulous tastes and does it for me?

Have you considered community radio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Spotify does exactly what Pandora used to as far as I can tell. Go to the page for an artist or a track and tell it to play songs like it and there you go.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't know how bandcamp treats the artists and I've never tried their app but I tend to like finding out an album is on there

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've been buying all my music exclusively off bandcamp for years now.

I guess I'd also buy direct if it's an artist specific storefront. Like Carpenter Brut for example.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I pirate free to air tv shows because for some reason we have to wait months to get the shows, and if you miss an episode services like tenplay are literally broken.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I buy music at JB HiFi

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I buy music at JB HiFi

Isn't there a cloud you should be yelling at.

I use Spotify but I support bands I like by buying their t-shirts because they actually make more off merch than music sales. I also buy vinyl if I want physical media because if I'm going to bother with that inconvenience why the gently caress not.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Most musicians didn't make money off music even before streaming services existed. If you want to support the artist go to a show and/or buy some merch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

I buy music at JB HiFi

I remember optical drives!

Only remember them though. Don't have one unless you count my creaky old blu-ray.

JB HiFi was the hero of the last decade and rightfully so. Not sure they'll last another decade though with digital sales. And rightfully so.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I still use viynl....

I like viynl...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

A couple of weeks ago we have our entire DVD collection to Vinnies since we realised we hadn't watched any in years.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Going to a show and buying merch is the best way to support a band.

Bandcamp is good because chances are the band runs their account directly - gets rid of the middleman completely.

Next to that is probably buying from a store or iTunes.

My favourite thing about being in a band is being asked where our music is available, suggesting Bandcamp or physical merch and then being asked if we're on Spotify instead - the punter will then buy two more schooners of Newtowner at $7-8 each and duck out for a smoke at a show that's more than likely already free.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A fan that doesn't try to buy direct is a fuckwit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DancingShade posted:

I remember optical drives!

Only remember them though. Don't have one unless you count my creaky old blu-ray.

JB HiFi was the hero of the last decade and rightfully so. Not sure they'll last another decade though with digital sales. And rightfully so.

I have a PlayStation.

Also I use Spotify. Emotion by Carly Rae Jepsen is off the hook.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

DancingShade posted:

I've been buying all my music exclusively off bandcamp for years now.

I guess I'd also buy direct if it's an artist specific storefront. Like Carpenter Brut for example.
This is what I do for music, Bandcamp lets you select the format and download that too. Some decent bands, such as the mentioned above Carpenter Brut, put their music up on there and, aside from the cut Bandcamp takes, it goes direct to the artist/s.

Anidav posted:

My current theory is that people will just realise that Silicon Valley has Juicero'd their music and the consumer hive mind will just go full circle back to physical formats and sharing MP3s.
You're smoking crack if you think physical formats are the way forward, but then again you did back the Xbone and Dreamcast and look how that turned out.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 4, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just lol if you don't listen to all your music on limited edition cassette tapes as god intended.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Bandcamp is god's gift to music. Just pay, and here's your music, any flavour you like, mp3, flac, whatever. No streaming bullshit, no sign-up, just me, the mp3 and a 4000+ song long Winamp playlist.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

JBP posted:

Emotion by Carly Rae Jepsen is off the hook.

I didn't know Griffin McElroy was interested in Australian politics.

And I'd go nuts on Bandcamp if I knew there were artists I like on it. Alas, my Pandora station was the extent of my musical knowledge, so anything more obscure than Beautiful Small Machines I am lost on.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

One of these days my crackpot theories will be correct!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

(still buys cassette tapes in 2017)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

(still buys cassette tapes in 2017)
How about Compact Flash cards?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In the information age the only use for removable media is archiving poo poo.

If you're some kind of retro purist who insists uncompressed FLACs or WAVs aren't good enough and you want creaky cassettes or skipping records, well ok dude/ette. Whatever.

I guess there is a hipster coolness factor if you're showing off at a party or something. May as well have one of those hi-fi amps covered in tubes while you're at it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maybe people should play music however they feel like.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone watching four corners, how hosed is it?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Maybe people should play music however they feel like.

Anyone who uses a storage medium more recent than a piano roll is clearly in the wrong.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

gently caress if I know. I haven't owned a cable to plug into a TV for over a decade.

If it comes on iview I might check it out if there seems sufficient buzz.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Frogfingers posted:

Bandcamp is god's gift to music. Just pay, and here's your music, any flavour you like, mp3, flac, whatever. No streaming bullshit, no sign-up, just me, the mp3 and a 4000+ song long Winamp playlist.

I think the real crime here is that you are still using winamp in 2017.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Looks pretty hosed. The polystyrene stuff with render over the top is even more widespread and more flammable too. Big surprise deregulation pretty much resulted in this stuff getting installed everywhere despite the fact there is no version of the pe core aluminium cladding that passes the relevant fire safety test.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Viynl records are good
Cassette tapes can be good if not ferro tape. Chrome or Metal tapes pretty much equal CD in terms of sound quality. I mean you won't really get much running a MP3 or FLAC off your gaming headphones so picking up a amplifier and CD player in a garage sale or Gumtree will net you a better listening experience in most cases. Viynl is good too if you like limited editions and such things as owning giant black discs. Cassette is really the novelty out of all these options but some bands like to release in tape because it's cheap as gently caress to print custom cassette tapes, cheaper than printing CDs so some small local bands will use tape. I've bought a lot of local artists who offer cassette tapes and it supports them because they don't have a middle man publisher and it's like 50c per tape so any local band with a Coles job on the side can run their own cassette print to give out at gigs for 5 dollars.

Or you can buy from band camp but physical media is basically buying merchandise anyway in certain cases.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The limited printings of certain CDs the bandcamp labels offer make pretty good gifts. Just saying.

I guess the vinyls too if the person you're gifting to has a player.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

it really whips the llama's rear end

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Buying poo poo from JB isnt going to do anything for your favourite trip hop bluegrass crossover act though. It's true that artists get gently caress all from Spotify plays, but they get jack poo poo from CDs handled by a distributor too. Even CDs handed out at gigs have a lovely ROI. By the time you've paid for the physical media, the art work, printing, cases etc, you're making a couple bucks per unit (this is speaking from experience).

Musos print CDs it so you can hear and enjoy their poo poo, but if you want to give musos money, buy on Bandcamp, and get a shirt - the margin's more like 5-10 on one of those. Stickers are another good one.

Also go to gigs, because that's how most bands pay for all of that poo poo in the first place.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NPR Journalizard posted:

It's not like there's been any good media players since.

At least it isn't Foobar.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Media Player Classic or death :colbert:

I suppose Microsoft Groove isn't a complete waste of space either. As a player anyway. But only if I want to play everything by artist, otherwise it can gently caress off.

Anyway you want to support a band you like you track down stuff like this: http://bloodmachines.com/

Which I found after enjoying https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

Just buy direct, seriously.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://mpv.io/

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

kirbysuperstar posted:

What's wrong with Foobar? It's minimalist and I like it. Though all i ever listen to is nick cave and the soundtrack to legend of galactic heroes

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Anidav posted:

Viynl records are good
Cassette tapes can be good if not ferro tape. Chrome or Metal tapes pretty much equal CD in terms of sound quality.

Is this really a thing, or a wooden volume knob?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxbot posted:

What's wrong with Foobar? It's minimalist and I like it. Though all i ever listen to is nick cave and the soundtrack to legend of galactic heroes

The user interface is garbage. It doesn't even play all in folder without loving around.

Even when you get things set up it's still a piece of crap to actually use.

Nice EQ though. It has that at least. If you use EQs.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
If any dead physical media format comes back I hope it's mini disc.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Foobar is good for listening to 24 bit 192hz FLAC and pretending your 35 year old ears can hear the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Cassette tapes come in basically 3 types. Ferro, Chrome and Metal. Ferro is the most common and sounds quite bad. Chrome tape matches CD pretty much if your player has Dolby noise reduction. Metal is equal to or exceeds CD quality but that format failed so metal tapes are extremely rare and bought on ebay for hundreds of dollars. Collectors like to buy them and record their favourite albums on to them because the sound quality is extremely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

• Locked thread