Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

DancingShade posted:

The user interface is garbage. It doesn't even play all in folder without loving around.

Even when you get things set up it's still a piece of crap to actually use.

Nice EQ though. It has that at least. If you use EQs.

After I set up my various playlists I've never had any problems. I've always found it pretty intuitive but my brain is basically broken lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anyone else currently crossing their fingers and toes holding out hope for the dream scenario where the marriage postal poll is knocked back by the courts this month, and the Coalition loses their majority next month due to citizenship stuff and there is an early election they get smashed in due in no small part to getting a bunch of new young voters enrolled?

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Nah we live on the TRUMP timeline m8. good things don't happen.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Anyone else currently crossing their fingers and toes holding out hope for the dream scenario where the marriage postal poll is knocked back by the courts this month, and the Coalition loses their majority next month due to citizenship stuff and there is an early election they get smashed in due in no small part to getting a bunch of new young voters enrolled?

I have been following Australian politics for too long to ever hope for something this nice.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's a pretty loving sad state of affairs when we're sitting here dreaming whistfully about Bill Shorten becoming PM but here we are.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

Foobar is good for listening to 24 bit 192hz FLAC and pretending your 35 year old ears can hear the difference.

Assuming you have an audio chain that can actually support this and music that was mastered accordingly yeah. It's a whole lot of good luck.

But it's hipster and cool to use garbage software I guess.

Maybe audio purists can extol the virtues of command line interface only media players that only run through ISA soundcards or whatever is cool and retro now.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Don Dongington posted:

It's a pretty loving sad state of affairs when we're sitting here dreaming whistfully about Bill Shorten becoming PM but here we are.

If he would just grow that moustache people would warm to him.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

I just want to see Turnbull cry. His rolling of Abbott denied us TonyTears so he owes us.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Just lol if you don't listen to music on your cassette stacker.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It's me. The goon with a Mohawk, 3D glasses, a cassette walk man, rollerskates and a bird.

Yes. It is me, GSC.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

It's me. The goon with a Mohawk, 3D glasses, a cassette walk man, rollerskates and a bird.

Yes. It is me, GSC.

mate i have inlines and ice skates

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Rollerskates can get fuuuucked.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

Rollerskates can get fuuuucked.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Also metal tapes don't sound better than CDs because nobody old enough to be able to afford the signal chain and speakers to hear any improvement on Redbook audio can actually hear the difference between CD and higher resolution audio formats. Most people don't have even have equipment that will make CDs sound appreciably better than MP3s.

Unless you're spending thousands on top end hi fi and reference speakers, and have particularly articulate hearing,, most of the difference is in your head.

Vinyl sounds better to some people because it introduces a certain level of distortion that some people find pleasing. Scientifically it's worse than CD in every way.

Just listen to the music

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
farts in the wind

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Seriously, is there a way to listen to music that I can actually hold on to that doesn't suck for either me or the artist? Preferably that doesn't ask me to curate my own awful, nebulous tastes and does it for me?

Look for bands on bandcamp.com, some of them are free, most of them don't ask ludicrous sums for their work, and more of the money goes directly to them. Not everyone does it, but there's a world of great music there, and yes it will cost you time and curation but that's the way the internet does it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

But I like to sponke the monkey.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Frogfingers posted:

Buy Australian, steal American.

I hope you're American, mate, because I'm stealing this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone watching four corners, how hosed is it?

I know, right.

Talking about the thing with the stuff. And then the other thing happened! :ohdear:

Oh. My. God!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mad Katter posted:

If any dead physical media format comes back I hope it's mini disc.

Too bad, UMD is back baby

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Media watch had a go at Caleb Bond

quote:

And that very same day The Advertiser’s columnist, Caleb Bond, who looks like he should still be at school, was complaining

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wait Caleb Bond is not at school? gently caress me, I thought he was honestly some IPA member's kid who got tossed a columnist gig as a favor to daddy dearest.

Talk about poo poo genes lol

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

He is 18 and hot to trot

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

He is 18 and hot to trot

*humps the air while thinking and tweeting about Daisy or whatever her name was*

*is Caleb Bond*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Yes. It is me, GSC.
You've brought eternal shame to your bloodline.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

I think children are going to figure out how to sponke their monkeys on their own. It's not like some forbidden ancient secret.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

ewe2 posted:

Look for bands on bandcamp.com, some of them are free, most of them don't ask ludicrous sums for their work, and more of the money goes directly to them. Not everyone does it, but there's a world of great music there, and yes it will cost you time and curation but that's the way the internet does it.

I assume it'd be inappropriate to hawk my own stuff here, but this is what my band does. Since we're not taking the whole thing super seriously, we made it free to download, but we've still had a few people keen enough to pay, which is pretty great. Bandcamp's commission is something paltry like 10%, and they don't take anything until you've earned a bit first.

Honestly, the trickiest part is me remembering to split up the profit, which usually happens in the form of an extra shout when we catch up.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GlenMR posted:

I assume it'd be inappropriate to hawk my own stuff here,

gently caress no

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Oh. Well in that case it's all here.

https://nevertheempress.bandcamp.com

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
http://i.imgur.com/Gw3xBBE.mp4

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I'm 36 years old and can I just extend a kind but firm middle finger to any youngsters coming in here and trying to explain to me about cassette tapes

Christ loving almighty

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm old enough to remember ads on TV for music with the tag "available on LP and cassette".

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-04/the-gay-couple-who-oppose-same-sex-marriage/8871118

quote:

The gay couple who oppose same-sex marriage

"I used to be a supporter of same-sex marriage. I mean, I proposed to Ben five years ago," Mark told 7.30.
"At the time Ben said it wasn't for him, that he didn't believe in it, and I said, 'When the laws change, would you like to?'"
When Ben refused Mark, he told him he had never thought same-sex couples should get married.

"There's never been any discrimination with any of our families, or dramas coming our way because of our sexuality," Ben said.
The article goes into slippery slope arguments from there.

quote:

"If we make one exception for one community, that being the same-sex couples, where does it stop?" Mark said.
"Do we then see other cultures being allowed to have multiple marriages? Do we see the age of consent being lowered for another group of minorities? That is my concern, of where it would lead."
It's fine that you don't want to get married, it's great that you haven't suffered discrimination from your families, but do you really have to dick over other people who might want equal rights? Did you just suggest gay rights lead to lawful paedophilia?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Seriously, is there a way to listen to music that I can actually hold on to that doesn't suck for either me or the artist? Preferably that doesn't ask me to curate my own awful, nebulous tastes and does it for me?

Honestly, as an ~*~artist~*~ if someone buys my books and then decides to download them for whatever reason I have no problem with that, so maybe buy the song on iTunes and then download it?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I'm 36 years old and can I just extend a kind but firm middle finger to any youngsters coming in here and trying to explain to me about cassette tapes

Christ loving almighty

What about reel to reel

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Anidav posted:

What about reel to reel

How do you think I'm posting.

Now don't make me waste another punch card, smartarse!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-04/the-gay-couple-who-oppose-same-sex-marriage/8871118

It's fine that you don't want to get married, it's great that you haven't suffered discrimination from your families, but do you really have to dick over other people who might want equal rights? Did you just suggest gay rights lead to lawful paedophilia?

Yeah, ABC were doing their whole "maybe the no side is getting drowned out" bullshit on 730 last night. They had some white male doing the "radical same sex advocates" thing during the intro and I turned off.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

It's fine because I assume the next article in the series is when they talk to 200 gay couples that do want to get married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

mods please change my name to Sponke the Monkey

• Locked thread