Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Magnus Manfist posted:

Isn't the word for panda "cat-face bear" or something? Do they just modify nouns by making them more or less cat?

It's a bearcat.

Chinese only goes back to older versions of Chinese and doesn't have the lineage most languages spoken today have where everything intermingled 18 ways, like how English goes back to German and French which goes back to Latin and Greek and blah blah blah... so everything ends up being very direct.

Some quick examples off the top of my head cuz I think it's fun:

Giraffe: Long Neck Deer
Dolphin: Sea Pig
Caterpillar: Furry Worm
Kangaroo: Pocket Mouse
Raccoon: Washing Bear
Zebra: Striped Horse
Platypus: Duck mouth creature
Porcupine: Arrow Pig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
The best part of owl cafes is the list of rules that also warns you "bird may take a poo poo."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

French for bat translates to "bald mouse", which makes way more sense than those silly Germans and their "flying mouse" :rolleyes:

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
loving Sea Pig. That's great.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

French for bat translates to "bald mouse", which makes way more sense than those silly Germans and their "flying mouse" :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l2Y6Z-maAU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
People are still losing their minds over Colin Kaepernick.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I like "Our PATRIOTS (not New England)"

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Azzur posted:

Hey, I live in Japan and just got back from an Owl Cafe in Sendai. Sympathy owls.

I feel like I should contribute some IoSM, but I think my social media has been kept well pruned...

Victory

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Slime posted:

A lot of languages just name an animal modifier-other animal. Like the welsh word for rat translates back as 'big mouse'.

Can't talk about West without our slang word for microwave, which is popty ping. 'The machine that goes ping'.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can't talk about West without our slang word for microwave, which is popty ping. 'The machine that goes ping'.

If you have one that goes beep instead, do you need to call it something else?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

bean_shadow posted:

Isn't he not even playing any more? Didn't get signed to a team?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

bean_shadow posted:

"Do you think NASCAR folks would tolerate this poo poo?"

Ah, yes, NASCAR fans. The gold standard on how to behave acceptably.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

bean_shadow posted:

You'd think, from the reaction, that the unity of the country relies on the very flimsy premise that professional football players don't kneel during the national anthem. Oh, now that Kaepernick done it, America is ruined, this great country is no more, woe is US. Be more patriotic, the greatest country on Earth can definitely handle a protest or two.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Prism posted:

I have no clue! I also have no idea how you would talk about a mouse that was unusually large for a mouse. Everyone would think you're talking about a rat, but no, you're literally talking about a big mouse.
we also call badgers earth pigs

edit: and a tadpole is a 'ball head'

it can also be translated as knobhead which is hilarious

Slime has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Sep 4, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Prism posted:

You have to buy a new popty ping.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The weirdest thing is that he didn't even just sit down or dance a little jig while giving the whole stadium the middle finger. He knelt. Which is still a very loving respectful thing to do.

Magna Kaser posted:

It's a bearcat.

Chinese only goes back to older versions of Chinese and doesn't have the lineage most languages spoken today have where everything intermingled 18 ways, like how English goes back to German and French which goes back to Latin and Greek and blah blah blah... so everything ends up being very direct.

Some quick examples off the top of my head cuz I think it's fun:

Giraffe: Long Neck Deer
Caterpillar: Furry Worm
Kangaroo: Pocket Mouse
Zebra: Striped Horse
Platypus: Duck mouth creature
Porcupine: Arrow Pig

I mean the German language for all its age uses more or less the same for racoon, platypus and porcupine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What really rankles me is that Kapeenick says "there's some stuff about America that isn't great, and maybe we should fix that?" and people say he should be fired, fined, arrested, deported, shot.

Donald Trump says "there's some stuff about America that isn't great, and maybe we should fix that" and he gets told "congrats, you are now the president"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

jivjov posted:

What really rankles me is that Kapeenick says "there's some stuff about America that isn't great, and maybe we should fix that?" and people say he should be fired, fined, arrested, deported, shot.

Donald Trump says "there's some stuff about America that isn't great, and maybe we should fix that" and he gets told "congrats, you are now the president"

Well one means white people might not be the best and the other means non-white people should be "removed" from the country, white people gasp and faint when they think they might not be the best so that's the one that they get upset at.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My brother's girlfriend is from Turkey and didn't know what a toad was. They call it a land frog.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Arcsquad12 posted:

My brother's girlfriend is from Turkey and didn't know what a toad was. They call it a land frog.

"A garage? A garaaaage? Well, la-dee-da, Mr. Frenchman!"

"What do you call it?"

"A car hold"

That comment about how "I bet these players kneeling don't have family that served," as if there aren't a ton of players that grew up poor. Hell, they probably know MORE people!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Loving your country means being willing to criticize it and make it a better country. These 'patriots' don't love their country, they just want to be seen to love it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

"A garage? A garaaaage? Well, la-dee-da, Mr. Frenchman!"

"What do you call it?"

"A car hold"

That comment about how "I bet these players kneeling don't have family that served," as if there aren't a ton of players that grew up poor. Hell, they probably know MORE people!

he says car hole ya idiot

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

The weirdest thing is that he didn't even just sit down or dance a little jig while giving the whole stadium the middle finger. He knelt. Which is still a very loving respectful thing to do.

Football is basically a second religion in a lot of places, as well as a sort of escapism for people with your garden variety lovely life. People get really, really pissed when you bring upsetting things into their escapism. (See: the bizarre responses to "hey maybe depicting ladies in video games as rewards and eye candy is not the best plan ever?")

Like it's an extremely lovely response, but it's understandable.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The rant wreaks of "It's not my problem to stop bringing it up!" because I bet you he goes on regular rants about immigrants or whatever white people complain about these days. (I'm white and I have no idea)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EL BROMANCE posted:

My favorite is still the Icelandic word for "computer", which is tölva - a portmanteau that means "number witch".

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I knew an idiot in real life who didn't know what an otter was. He called them "diving beaver things".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Microwaves? Oh, you mean science ovens?

I wish people really called them that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Slime posted:

I have no clue! I also have no idea how you would talk about a mouse that was unusually large for a mouse. Everyone would think you're talking about a rat, but no, you're literally talking about a big mouse.

A big mouse is a rat; there's no taxonomic difference between rat and mouse.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

Slime posted:

In Irish the word for squid is mother of suck. Possibly mother sucker if you prefer.

Jelly fish are seal snot too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Old Newfoundlanders call sea urchins "whores' eggs" :haw:

Magna Kaser posted:

Can't speak for the others but these two are common in other languages too.

there wolf posted:

A big mouse is a rat; there's no taxonomic difference between rat and mouse.

They're from different genera :confused:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MizPiz posted:

I'm going to be very disappointed if THIS isn't included in the next Yakuza game

This is the Vice-iest headline I have ever seen in my life. It almost reads like a parody.

If there is one thing I associate with manliness, it's peeing into a cartoon animals mouth.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Grown men have difficulty aiming in a urinal, have fun always cleaning your toddler's piss all over the bathroom.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

here's an idiot on social media

https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/904008582290710528

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Mak0rz posted:

They're from different genera :confused:

I live in a place where people call opossums, "foxes". I have no clue WHY that happens.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

davidspackage posted:

have fun always cleaning your toddler's piss all over the bathroom.

From what I hear that's normal regardless of what urine receptacle you use.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Would "Real men use urinals and pussies sit" an adequate example of Toxic Masculinity? Cause it sure feels like it.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Mak0rz posted:

Can't speak for the others but these two are common in other languages too.

For whatever reason, I decided to look around at raccoon etymology, and it seems like cultures that were doing a lot of colonialism in the Americas adopted local terminology and other languages translated the old taxonomic name. Washbear comes from ursus lotor, which is how Carl Linnaeus classified them in his taxonomy. Meanwhile, raccoon is adapted from Powhatan. The French term raton-laveur means little washer rat, which doesn't make sense, except that raton sounds kinda/sorta like raccoon and I guess the washer part was added later. Spanish has mapache, which comes from Nahuatl, and Portuguese has guaxinim from Tupi.

I'm not a linguist though and the Italian term is procione, which is just the current genus name, so I dunno.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

From the comments

I love how these assholes are all now using the term "conquered" when referring to America. Like, when being called out that we are all immigrants they double down on being even bigger assholes. None of these pussies have conquered poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

For whatever reason, I decided to look around at raccoon etymology, and it seems like cultures that were doing a lot of colonialism in the Americas adopted local terminology and other languages translated the old taxonomic name. Washbear comes from ursus lotor, which is how Carl Linnaeus classified them in his taxonomy. Meanwhile, raccoon is adapted from Powhatan. The French term raton-laveur means little washer rat, which doesn't make sense, except that raton sounds kinda/sorta like raccoon and I guess the washer part was added later. Spanish has mapache, which comes from Nahuatl, and Portuguese has guaxinim from Tupi.

I'm not a linguist though and the Italian term is procione, which is just the current genus name, so I dunno.

You can play around with the consonant roots of words in Hebrew, so you'll find a lot of names for animals that are weird variations on the name of a similar-looking animal. So Raccoon is דביבון = dvivon, where bear is דב = dov.

Similarly, Jays are all types of עורבני = orvani, where crow is עורב=orev.