Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Duckula posted:

The book coming out is called the final dossier right? That sounds pretty final to me. Or is it the final dossier of 'this' Twin Peaks universe.

The book is supposed to expand more on events that happened in between the two seasons. I get the feeling that he started out writing The Return as a conclusion but then decided to take a left turn and leave things more open-ended.

Sherilyn Fenn says that Lynch will make a fourth season if people want him to:

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/904610165126598656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Peaked is gonna be weird and probably kind of a downer this week huh :(

Gonna start making my notes now but yeah....I feel like episode 18 is bigger than my attempts to analyse it and I can't quite figure out how to feel (although I'm still leaning somewhat towards disappointment) and I really really want this to be setup for another season.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

well, that was that. The ending made sort of vaguely sense to me, in the same way lost highway did, but i wouldn't be able to explain the details in any way. I liked it for the most part, mainly because twin peaks has been in a state of unfinished for so many years, having it still remain like that doesn't really bother me and seems sort of fitting.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I've completely warmed up to the "Laura Palmer is the Chosen One" thing after that ending. It feels like Sheryl Lee is just a constant that gets injected into the world for the lodge inhabitants to have a huge Garmonbozia (pain and sorrow) feast.
She's a being of pure light and energy, a perfect candidate to inject into a small town to create joy, then take it away. I get the impression she's doomed no matter what timeline she's in, she's literally just spirit food.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I think I'd almost rather just have a follow-up film than another season. There was some absolutely amazing imagery in those 17 hours, but to resolve next to nothing and ultimately have none of it really matter....I miss Dougie.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

She doesn't have a completed IMDB page and she isn't the singer from Chromatics either :v:

I guess this was her only credit to date?

She is, from what I can tell, the current occupant of the Palmer House in real life. My cousin watched the finale there last night with her and some other folks.

Edit: Looks like this got covered in the last few pages. Welp.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 4, 2017

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe the infinite symbol is meant to represent a double time loop, one in Twin Peaks and one in the Odessa timeline, and Laura and Dale keep switching back and forth. We see the Jumping Man (who we can assume is Mother or at least works for her) coming out of Jeffrey's room, so maybe he hosed things up for them.

Edit: Also, that long overlaid shot of Cooper seems to imply that he's the dreamer.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I thought it was "Alice Tremayne" at first.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
S3 was good, but it wasn't "Tremayne Good"

Edit:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/MuseumMichael/status/904523764372791300

I was kind of expecting Lynch to pull the rug out from under us with the perhaps too neat wrapping up of plotlines from the last few episodes but initial reaction to episode 18 was "Whaaat??"

Kinda like the fan theories that Cooper did manager to save Laura Palmer but that the universe got kinda weird and warped due to it. The name of the weird lodge spirit lady who was in the room above the gas station in FWWM for the lady who owns the house seems to point to there be some larger metaphysical fuckery going on.

I'm glad One Punch Man got to fight against Janine Garofalo's bowling ball from Mystery Men and that Dougie got to return to his family in some reality.

It would be nice to get a few more episodes to find out what the hell happened to Audrey and Josie. Seeing her in the old clips from Episode 1 was such a shock.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 4, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Episode 17 was one of the greatest things I've ever seen, I legit welled up when Laura took Cooper's hand and I thought he was going to save her. Was devastated when something pulled her away just before he could get her to the lodge.

Episode 18 left me completely confused. It wasn't bad, it evoked an amazing emotional reaction and the final scream/house going dark is probably gonna haunt me for a long time.... but I just can't stop thinking about how happy I'd have been if Coop had been able to take Laura to safety at the end of 17. Also I don't think I'm smart enough to really understand it and it's gonna take a long time before I feel like I do - Coop and Diane crossed dimensions/time to take another shot at finding/saving Laura, but in the process Cooper was set adrift into a world that doesn't quite fit his expectations?

I still think this is perhaps the best season of television I've ever seen, and included perhaps the two best episodes of any television show I've ever seen (8 and 17), but I am sad that final image/shot of the Twin Peaks Universe is Laura Palmer screaming in terror :smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

OK just finished them both back to back.

That was loving UNREAL.

Holy poo poo I feel emotionally destroyed. The highs of 17 to the crushing feeling as 18 ended. That last line. Oh my god.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
What a goofy show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is great how many satisfying moments there are in 17. "I understand cellular phones now!" is incredible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

I haven't gotten that beautiful growing anxiety as the clock ticks down on the last episode feeling since the sopranos finale, which was great, therefore this was great as well

Yeah I literally felt sick as it got closer to the end

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can I just say I thought the owl cave/ring symbol turning into an infinity and that being the final clue like we're supposed to smack our foreheads and go "of course!" was as dumb as a butt.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really don't know what to make of the end of the sheriff's station scene where the lights go out, Gordon and Coop yell to each other, it fades out so we just see the interlaid Coop face, and then we fade in to the Great Northern basement. I wonder what the insinuation is there.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Did frank truman ever do anything of note, beyond seeming bored of everything?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It was infuriating
It was amazing
I hated it
I loved it

Attitude Indicator posted:

Did frank truman ever do anything of note, beyond seeming bored of everything?
His heart burns with passion for fish

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Chev posted:

It was infuriating
It was amazing
I hated it
I loved it

His heart burns with passion for fish

If only he was around earlier, there may never have been a fish in the perculator.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Episode 17 was one of the greatest things I've ever seen, I legit welled up when Laura took Cooper's hand and I thought he was going to save her. Was devastated when something pulled her away just before he could get her to the lodge.

Yeah, that was an incredible. I think I started holding my breath from the moment Laura decided to trust and follow Cooper, then her body on the shore disappeared and I burst into tears. I couldn't believe the show was actually going to go in that direction. Welp, so much for that. Although at least the ending is vaguely ambiguous enough not to be a total downer for her :gbsmith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When I realised what was going on with the FWWM stuff I lost my loving mind. I had literally watched FWWM and the pilot last night and I was like "huh... lots of old footage here" and then you cut to Pete fishing.

gently caress!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

nopants posted:

Really thought lynch was gonna let the good guys win for once

Technically he did. The evil force of BoB that caused the cycle of violence that was twin peaks was finally vanquished. Dougie returned home to his family and the only person who really got shafted was Audry.

Meanwhile the real Dale Cooper seemingly understood after 25 years in the lodge that he's not fit for regular terrestrial living any longer. Imagine trying to hold down a day job knowing what you've seen and done. Instead he's taken on a higher mission and that is to find Laura somewhere in the infinite stretch of space and time.

Much like the end of S2 in which dale almost made it through the black lodge but failed to confront his doppleganger properly, dale's machinations to bring laura back didn't go as planned and now he's searching for her in the new reality he unintentionally created.

G-III fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 4, 2017

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

G-III posted:

Technically he did. The evil force of BoB that caused the cycle of violence that was twin peaks was finally vanquished. Dougie returned home to his family and the only person who really got shafted was Audry.

Meanwhile the real Dale Cooper seemingly understood after 25 years in the lodge that he's not fit for regular terrestrial living any longer. Imagine trying to hold down a day job knowing what you've seen and done. Instead he's taken on a higher mission and that is to find Laura somewhere in the infinite stretch of space and time.

Audrey's fine. She nodded off during her shift at the extremely bright lighting+mirrors factory and had a bad dream.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

G-III posted:

Shelly's still dating drug wizard, and her daughter is probably dead, so there's that. Also, Andy never found that one dude's corpse.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Everything in the Dead Laura timeline doesn't exist anymore.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Papa John Misty posted:

Cooper still exists. I bet he's keeping the timeline alive.

Here is my crazy prediction for a potential sequel:

"Through the darkness of future's past,
The magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds...
Fire... walk with me."

is referring to Cooper. He is the one who can walk freely between future and past, connecting two worlds in which two Lauras live different lives. Eventually, he'll have to harness the power of the dark flame for good. Like Hawk suggested, the intent is important.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Papa John Misty posted:

What. No. They make it a point to show what the world is like without Laura's death, and we see Diane and Cooper crossing over to the other timeline. We never see it disappear.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Doesn't exist as we know it. Twenty five-ish years passed with the catalyst of Laura's murder not having happened as it originally did. So no Dale coming to Twin Peaks, no events of S1/2, no Booper escaping, no Dougie or Richard, Annie is still alive...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

OK just finished them both back to back.

That was loving UNREAL.

Holy poo poo I feel emotionally destroyed. The highs of 17 to the crushing feeling as 18 ended. That last line. Oh my god.

Can you explain the line for me? I mean it seemed obvious but then he gets no answer and instead Laura screaming and lights going off. Neither which seem to relate to Coopers question. I feel like i'm missing something obvious but if this timeline is different why does it matter what date it is?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
^
Okay, I misread your post.
Also, does anyone else think the Audrey we saw at the end of episode 16 is someone from the Odessa timeline that can see the original timeline in her dreams? It would help explain the last scene.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Wow. I thought both episodes were fantastic.

Episode 17 had the ending I kind of "expected", but it rang slightly hollow. Like I said in the thread, when Freddie finally destroyed the BOBORB on the third or fourth punch or whatever, it felt like beating a Megaman Boss or something with HARD PUNCH. The whole thing was really pretty silly and intentionally so and somewhat pleasantly so.

Episode 18 was the entirely unexpected, and where Lynch did exactly what I truly did NOT expect him to do...

I still don't understand the Tremond/Chalfont references. As I recall, Tremond was the name the old woman and her son went by in the series when Donna meets them, and Chalfont is the name Carl Rodd tells Cooper rented the trailer, and said the people who rented the same spot before were ALSO named Chalfont. Not sure if this is Lynch just throwing out familiar names or whatever, though...

I don't know how to react but I am MOST DEFINITELY not disappointed. The bulk of the season was fantastic, and I always just consider the final episode as 1/18th of the show, maybe only marginally, slightly more significant than any other episode.

I was not expecting Lynch to explain much, and he actually went and explained a hell of a lot more than I thought he would. I, for one, am still looking forward to a re-watch from scratch.

I don't think this finale changes the fact that Episode 8 is one of the greatest things I've ever seen on television or film. The thing is, I don't WANT Lynch to explain why the Woodsman or black, or exactly what ritual they were doing to Evil Coop. I don't want to know why that same electrical pole was outside "Carrie Page's" house in Odessa. I don't want it all explained and I don't want to be able to figure it all out.

If he does a season 4, I hope he continues not to fully explain everything. The only explanations I want are feelings and emotions and reactions conveyed by events occurring on-screen, and I got quite a bit of that.

I was also on the edge of my seat for all of those driving sequences, in part because Sheryl Lee is a fantastic actress. I was just watching what she was doing with her face and listening to her words, and it actually made me weep, oddly enough. Just her talking about the emptiness of her life in incomplete sentences.

I said before that what I really wanted Lynch to do was double-back on the tragedy that was Laura's life, because that is, was, and always will be the emotional core of the story for me. That's the one thing I hoped and sort of expected, and absolutely got. And that's the most important thing, to me. I felt the scene with rear end in a top hat Texans at the bar was very evocative as it shows the continued sexual harassment/derision that "Laura" continues to put herself through. Heartbreaking.

I think that's how I found the final episode. Episode 17 was "both wonderful and strange," while episode 18 was sometimes difficult to watch and utterly soul-crushing and heart-breaking, in a way that only Lynch can do.

I do find myself wondering if Carrie Page/Laura Palmer have some sort of Diane Selwyn/Betsy Elms thing going on, but I doubt it's directly comparable at all...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Spermando posted:

^
Okay, I misread your post.
Also, does anyone else think the Audrey we saw at the end of episode 16 is someone from the Odessa timeline that can see the original timeline in her dreams? It would help explain the last scene.

That's what I've been thinking. Maybe Twin Peaks and Odessa are dream worlds of each other?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So was the place where Cooper and Diane crossed over (430 miles) the coordinates that bad Coop had been looking for the whole time? If so then what was his agenda?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

So was the place where Cooper and Diane crossed over (430 miles) the coordinates that bad Coop had been looking for the whole time? If so then what was his agenda?

Murder more Lauras?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lmao it was an amazing loving finale double wam holy poo poo. with the way part 18 ends and the rest of season there is enough going on theorize your own ideas for years to come (almost as if it's a piece of art!) and just enough in that ending to lead into a season 4 (unlike season 2, which was meant to get tied up a few episodes in, back in the original season 3 plan)

it is loving :perfect:

really sorry you didnt get the meme filled neatly tied up bow you were expecting out of season 3 but you were all well warned when they kept saying THE ARTISTS DAVID LYNCH AND MARK FROST GOT 18 HOURS FINAL CUT TO DO WHATEVER THE gently caress THEY WANTED TO DO.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

The most we know about Bad Coop's agenda is that he wants the Judy/Jowday entity, for some reason. That seems clear, to me at least. Seems like that's why the glass box was there (to maybe trap it) and that's what the coordinates Major Briggs had were supposed to somehow lead to. I don't think we ever fully learn his agenda beyond the fact that he (or BOB) wants or wanted that entity.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Can you explain the line for me? I mean it seemed obvious but then he gets no answer and instead Laura screaming and lights going off.

I just thought it was really cool realising that Cooper didn't have a clue what was going on.
He totally hosed up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

nopants posted:

Really thought lynch was gonna let the good guys win for once

My reading of the finale is that he did. The last half of 18 was one last hurdle for him to overcome and he almost didn't succeed but Laura got a reaction from going home and sent the whole illusion crashing down. I think Lynch constructed the whole thing in a certain way so people can come to their own conclusions on what happen. It's not something I'm fond of but every theory can be supported by what's on screen and if you feel Coop saved Laura and succeeded then that's what happens.

Still not a fan of the ending, but it does give everyone a lot to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just thought it was really cool realising that Cooper didn't have a clue what was going on.
He totally hosed up.

Ah. Yeah I got that. I felt so nervous during the whole thing.