Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the Jaguar RISC chips have a bug where the instruction after a jump is always executed because it’s still in the pipeline so you need to insert a NOP

who designed this thing

also all the Atari dev tools are out there thanks to ex-employees and backup tapes. half of them are for the TT030.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Swedish collation is a p good jam band name

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the best swedish collation is fika

gotta import this practice.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

the Jaguar RISC chips have a bug where the instruction after a jump is always executed because it’s still in the pipeline so you need to insert a NOP

who designed this thing

also all the Atari dev tools are out there thanks to ex-employees and backup tapes. half of them are for the TT030.

that's not a bug that's a branch delay slot

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sapozhnik posted:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

we call those design flaws

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jaguar DSP technical reference manual posted:

The scoreboard mechanism does not work on the data of any indexed store instruction. This means that any indexed store instruction that stores data from a long latency operation (such as a divide or external load) should place an 'or' instruction prior to the store.

Neither the DSP or the GPU will reliably execute 'jr' or 'jump' instructions unless they are in internal RAM.

The DSP must not do an external write unless it is preceded by an external read that will complete before the write starts. This problem is intermittent and could be missed by testing.

The GPU and blitter may not be used in high bus priority while the object processor is running. No bus master may operate at a higher priority than the object processor. If something else gets the bus between the second and third phrases of an object header, the line buffer address can be corrupted causing horizontal black stripes and possibly other artifacts in the display.

If you try to do two consecutive divides without there being at least 1 clock cycle of idle time between them, the result of the second divide will be wrong. This will only occur when the two divides are separated by less than 16 clock cycles, and the second divide has the quotient of the first divide as one of its register operands, and there is no scoreboard dependency on the quotient of the first one prior to the second.

DSP matrix multiplies only work in the lower 4K of DSP RAM.

The Y add control bits in the A1 and A2 address generators in the blitter are not differentiated properly. The A2 Y add control bit is ignored and the A1 Y add control bit affects both address generators. However, if the Y sign bits are set in either address, the corresponding add control bit has to be set for the number to be negative.

If a start bit is detected at a certain phase in the UART's divide by 16 timer, it will be shifted in twice, resulting in a left shift of the data byte.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

I guess that explains the wealth of games for the Jaguar.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I haven't used mysql much but I really liked how the internal timestamp type has nanosecond resolution but it's truncated to just the seconds when it's written to a database. and by liked I mean gently caress you mysql

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hackbunny posted:

I really liked how

Yeah, me too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doom Mathematic posted:

I guess that explains the wealth of games for the Jaguar.

also the dev tools were incredibly broken and/or for TOS computers nobody used anymore. and to get any power out of it you had to program the GPU and DSP in (separate) custom RISC assembly languages. at least the saturn just used SH-2s for everything. a lot of the bad games just did everything using the 68K and blitter. you can port games from the ST doing that, which is one of the sources of homebrew games.

my favorite factoid is the lead on the jaguar project telling the guy who wrote tempest 2000 (basically the only good game for it) that it stank and was a bad demonstration of the system's abilities at the console launch in 1994

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 4, 2017

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

telling Jeff Minter that his games suck is funny because he's incapable of taking criticism and will still be whining about it a decade later

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

apparently he wasn't really wrong from a technical standpoint because it does all its effects using the blitter and CPU, which kills the framerate when there's a lot of stuff going on (the jag blitter is really inefficient thanks to hardware issues)

defender 2000 had even more :catdrugs: effects and ran at a smooth 60fps because he figured out how to do everything using display lists and the GPU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

earlier this year i was programming a chip that had long branch delay slots, and some of my tight loops ended up having the branch at the top of the loop and the rest of the instructions in the delay slot which took some getting used to

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

has mysql stopped silently truncating text that did not fit the input type?

if you had important data you wouldn't be storing it in MySQL. working as intended.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
So if mongo is the snap chat of databases, is mysql the twitter?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

gonadic io posted:

no, because twitter lets you know if your tweets are too long

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

akadajet posted:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

my favorite factoid is the lead on the jaguar project telling the guy who wrote tempest 2000 (basically the only good game for it) that it stank and was a bad demonstration of the system's abilities at the console launch in 1994

not really a terrible programmer thing but i sure hope tempest 4000 is good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
meanwhile a modern video game system has eight threads' worth of general purpose CPU and some 32-odd GPU cores to throw at the task. a full floating-point alu with its own register file and bus interconnect, times 32.

and that's just the battery powered poo poo.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Problem: MySQL
Solution: Postgres

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Problem: MySQL
Solution: Postgres

Problem: JewKiller 3000
Solution: Ban

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

akadajet posted:

Problem: JewKiller 3000
Solution: Ban

poster working as intended WONTFIX

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gonadic io posted:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ha neat I got the jag GPU to calculate scanline offsets

now if I can just get it to make cubes... it has a matrix multiply instruction and everything

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

akadajet posted:

:eyepop:

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

hey i'm presenting on all this mongo -> postgres stuff I've been doing. One of the questions I know I'll get is "why postgres instead of mysql." The answer to this is json support (since we're migrating from mongo this is really critical), but are there any articles I can read/link to on why postrgres is almost always better than mysql? I can't just say "everyone on yospos/the internet says so" but to be honest I don't know that much about databases.

i wish this was in article form but it demonstrates issues i've had, mysql is just squirmy about types https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emgJtr9tIME

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

NihilCredo posted:

i've had this hn thread in my bookmarks for almost a year, it's chock full of good stuff that helped me when I had to make the same choice. the two main articles:

https://renesd.blogspot.it/2017/02/is-postgresql-good-enough.html

http://www.brightball.com/articles/why-should-you-learn-postgresql

thanks these are now in my slides

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ctps: every single time i look at this thing i'm making i alter the scope. i'm not just making it bigger either, i made it smaller a couple times too.
i think this is what going crazy feels like

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
c tp s: when your pr review doesn't identify any problems aside from style nitpicks.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

motedek posted:

i wish this was in article form but it demonstrates issues i've had, mysql is just squirmy about types https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emgJtr9tIME

:bravo: mysql

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
If only it were just full of chars, but no, we have ints (32 bits on this ARM MCU) being used to store a one-bit flag so that a single digit on a 7-segment LED display takes: 8*32 bytes = 256 bytes. That's 256x bigger than it should be.

code:
 int CHAR_0[8]={0,0,1,1,1,1,1,1}; // 0 
Let's see how he uses that lookup, just for fun...
Line after line of case statements. This one displays a 24.4 on the display:
code:
case 244:
        memcpy (DIG1, CHAR_2,32); memcpy (DIG2, CHAR_4dp,32); memcpy (DIG3, CHAR_4,32); break;
That case structure goes from 244 to 497. There are others for error codes and stuff.

Current flash memory usage is 93.6% on a 32KB part. Ship it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cis autodrag posted:

c tp s: when your pr review doesn't identify any problems aside from style nitpicks.

do they reduce to "don't write Java like mumps"

:smug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

do they reduce to "don't write Java like mumps"

:smug:

i mean the man himself can weigh in but most of it was just keeping commas and indentation consistent with the existing style since I only really style java habitually as i used it in school.

also i learned this thing:

Java code:

foo thing = new foo();
return Collections.<bar> singleton(thing);

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
good overloading of the term "singleton" there java!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
o

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 6, 2017

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Collections.singleton(T t) will infer T based on the return value of the method hth

edit: actually i'm fairly confident that java inference was improved in jdk8 to the point where it would infer it based on the parameter to singleton itself. i know they did a ton of work to improve type inference to make lambdas not a huge shitshow

FamDav fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 6, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hell yeah i got the jaguar gpu to... draw horizontal lines

now if i can figure out how the gently caress to program the blitter i can draw lines that aren't horizontal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FamDav posted:

Collections.singleton(T t) will infer T based on the return value of the method hth

edit: actually i'm fairly confident that java inference was improved in jdk8 to the point where it would infer it based on the parameter to singleton itself. i know they did a ton of work to improve type inference to make lambdas not a huge shitshow

in that example you don't want t though, you want s. it's returning the foo wrapped in a bar inside​ a bar collection that has one member.

• Locked thread