Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

do you think a wood logia or a earth logia exists?

like you could turn your body into trees and plants or you could turn yourself into a golem-man?

Well from a story standpoint I think it'd be difficult to write an earth logia out and have it be distinctive from either Crocodile's sand fruit or Pica's... whatever the heck that was fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Pureauthor posted:

Well from a story standpoint I think it'd be difficult to write an earth logia out and have it be distinctive from either Crocodile's sand fruit or Pica's... whatever the heck that was fruit.

I was thinking that an earth logia would be useful at sea because you could just raise and lower the sea floor around an enemy ship causing waves and whirlpools to gently caress up your enemies ships. Imagine being able to create islands out of thin air.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

like you could turn your body into trees and plants or you could turn yourself into a golem-man?

I doubt you'd get wood. It's a 'living' thing. Earth is hard to be distinctive over the swamp or sand fruit but maybe.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

green bull, maybe

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alacron posted:

Nami's world map is almost definitely one of those "And The Adventure Continues!" kinds of things, to give the characters a reason to keep traveling together after the series ends.

Not really, and in fact the exact opposite?

A big part of the overall plot is people constantly noting how similar Luffy and his journey are similar to Gold Rogers, which means there's a good chance it'll end much the same way: Luffy becomes King of the Pirates and dies relatively soon afterwards (it's the journey and not the destination and all that, and he's the live fast die young type anyway), his friends will go their separate ways to do their own thing, and the manga ends on them watching a new generation of adventurers begin to rise.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
nah, luffy is the dude that fulfills all the promises of the past. that's why the story is about him and not roger, or joyboy or- etc etc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah Luffy and crew are the ones who are finally going to break the world out of this 800 year tyranny.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Luffy is going to catch the mystery disease Roger had but chopper will cure it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Luffy is going to catch the mystery disease Roger had but chopper will cure it

I knew we brought him along for a reason

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Roger was sick before he left on his last voyage so it won't be a secret thing on Raftel but maybe the same one that killed Brook's Crew too.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I thought the Rumbar Pirates got murdered by poison weapons and only the captain had the weird disease.

Chopper having to deal with Roger's mystery illness and actually being able to cure it (or just fixing Luffy's insanely shortened lifespan) would be a pretty great way for him to be useful. Especially since he got owned by candy in this arc and just seems super super useless.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Luffy is going to catch the incurable disease and Law will cure it. Chopper will be his hat during this.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Sanji will cook Chopper into the ultimate meal while Law gets a sweet hat and Brook gets some sick new strings.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

EGSunBro posted:

I thought the Rumbar Pirates got murdered by poison weapons and only the captain had the weird disease.

Chopper having to deal with Roger's mystery illness and actually being able to cure it (or just fixing Luffy's insanely shortened lifespan) would be a pretty great way for him to be useful. Especially since he got owned by candy in this arc and just seems super super useless.

They've been making GBS threads on Chopper since the timeskip he doesn't get any good fights he even gets outdoctored its just sad.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
For real has Chopper done any doctoring since the time skip? Law, Reiju, Mansherry, and Sanji have all healed more than him as far as I can recall. It seems like Oda introduces a new healer ally every arc and Chopper just stands around for gags.

Pretty good gags though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

socialsecurity posted:

They've been making GBS threads on Chopper since the timeskip he doesn't get any good fights he even gets outdoctored its just sad.

tbf "not getting any good fights" describes half the straw hats at this point

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

EGSunBro posted:

For real has Chopper done any doctoring since the time skip? Law, Reiju, Mansherry, and Sanji have all healed more than him as far as I can recall. It seems like Oda introduces a new healer ally every arc and Chopper just stands around for gags.

Pretty good gags though.

he did a lot of blood transfusions during Fishman Island

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Chopper and Ceaser cured the poison on Zou, in case ya'll forgot.

edit:Also the kids that Ceaser was doing his gigantification experiments on.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 2, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Chopper gets a crown and jewellery and a fine coat on Zou, he cleaned up with the doctoring there.

But still with Caesar's input. 😒

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EGSunBro posted:

I don't remember any poison, they just bled to death because their doctor was dead didn't they?

and yea the captain got sick and they had to leave him behind

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't remember any poison, they just bled to death because their doctor was dead didn't they?

and yea the captain got sick and they had to leave him behind

No they were attacked with poison weapons.

I think even without a doctor they could have managed to treat stab wounds well enough that they didn't all drop dead while singing.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it's a paramicia. He can turn into Diamond, but he can't generate it. Same case as Luffy he is rubber but can't generate it. Magellen and Mr 3/Galdino are the opposite they can generate poison and Wax, but can't turn into it.

Caribou was the Swamp/Mud Logia.

Fruit awakening is really going to mess with the limits of what the different types can accomplish. Magellan still might not be able to turn his body into fluid poison unaffected by physical attacks, but if you take Doflamingo turning buildings into string for example, he could probably turn the entire enviroment into poison. There would be no safe place. Awakening is weird.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I really like how frequently Luffy's enemies attitude towards him goes from indifferent mockery to seething hatred over the course of an arc

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Indifferent mockery to seething hatred to begrudging respect is the Luffy cycle, with optional friendship after the third stage. It rules.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So Big Mom is currently unbeatable, Kaido is even more unbeatable, and they're on a collision course with both, and probably Shanks and Blackbeard.

I haven't felt so :suspense: about a series in my life.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want to learn about Kaido's and his inability to die. If he has a devil fruit, why doesn't he just drown himself?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Say Nothing posted:

I want to learn about Kaido's and his inability to die. If he has a devil fruit, why doesn't he just drown himself?

Could be that he wants a better death than just drowning.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jumping off from an island in the sky and plummeting 10,000 meters to your death: loving metal
Drowning: A bitch-rear end way to go

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah kaidou definitely wants to die in an epic manner but can't

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If he's actually immortal then jumping in the ocean would probably just render him unable to move, but not drown him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe he's like half fishman or something

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe he's not immortal, just really, really tough.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

I knew we brought him along for a reason

Uhh, cause he's adorable and can turn into a giant murder moose? Both seem like pretty good reasons to me.

Plus he validates Usopp/Luffy's love for all things robots/lasers.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FriggenJ posted:

Uhh, cause he's adorable and can turn into a giant murder moose? Both seem like pretty good reasons to me.

Plus he validates Usopp/Luffy's love for all things robots/lasers.

I'm kidding, I'm no Chopper hater

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How far ahead is the U.S. manga of the Japanese anime? If it is ahead at all? I'm currently wrapping up Volume 82.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

How far ahead is the U.S. manga of the Japanese anime? If it is ahead at all? I'm currently wrapping up Volume 82.

It's behind lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

EmmyOk posted:

It's behind lol

Jesus. lol

Is it catching up with it at least? And if so is it close to doing so?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I checked the wiki and the last volume is probably at the same point roughly but obviously since then there's more episodes and I'm not sure when the next volume is out. Once you catch up on the manga you can by WSJ on the VIZ website each week for a euro/dollar and it's legally translated and yours forever. The only problem is they only do about three months of back issues or back issues for whatever time you had a subscription (you can by the issue each week without one). When you buy an issue you have it forever not just three months of course. The problem therfore is that where the published volumes and online issues have a gap between them and there's no legal way to read one piece in English and that gap never diminishes just moves a long as the series does. i.e. if it's a 30 chapter gap that gap will remain constant as each releases effectively

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The anime won't catch up if the manga volumes releases stay at the same pace behind the magazine chapters, because the anime is covering often significantly less than one chapter per episode, mostly with padding, long pans, and every episode recap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

The anime won't catch up if the manga volumes releases stay at the same pace behind the magazine chapters, because the anime is covering often significantly less than one chapter per episode, mostly with padding, long pans, and every episode recap.

Aren't the anime and the Japanese manga both currently on the Whole Cake Island arc at the moment?