Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Incessant Excess posted:

I recently bought a 1440p Freesync monitor (48-75hz range, seemingly able to be extended to 40-75hz via CRU) to do some moderate gaming on. It seems to be my options are either the RX 580 or the newer Vega 56. I’m leaning towards the RX 580, thinking it would be enough to get within my Freesync range at a mix of Medium and High settings for most games (particularly interested in PUBG and Titanfall 2). Is the RX 580 a good option for what I intend to do here or should I err on the side of more performance and get the Vega 56? I’m not in a huge rush to upgrade, so I’d be willing for Vega to become a bit more widely available, provided I would be waiting weeks rather than months.

Prices in my region would be roughly 420 Euros for Vega 56 and 250 Euros for RX 580.

The monitor from the post above is not available in my region.

If you can get it at MSRP then Vega 56 is an OK long-term purchase but right now stock is short (one rumor says AMD is losing money on standalone 56 cards) and the drivers are an absolute mess. They are really bad, crashes are widespread and basic SOC control functions (voltage/clocks/etc) are broken as gently caress. Crossfire support? lol yeah right.

The 480/580 is a much more stable platform and is comparable with a 1060/970/780 Ti, i.e. they are capable of 1440p at roughly 45fps ultra or perhaps 65 at medium settings. Unfortunately they are the coin mining card of choice and are also quite hard to get for that price.

Also, you have to be really really careful about that lower-end framerate on FreeSync monitors that don't support LFC. You absolutely have to stay above your 40 fps FreeSync speed (or w/e) or you will immediately start juddering very badly. You will notice this immediately as basically massive stutter once you drop below your sync threshold.

edit: PUBG does not run very well on AMD cards, the optimizations are quite a bit behind NVIDIA

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of 580s, I actually found one. In the wild. At the Fry's in Fremont, CA.

(I had forgotten to grab a copy of Windows 10 for the computer for the munchkins. Also, air conditioning.)

$400 bucks for a goddamn 1060-equivalent. :negative:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep an eye out for a 580.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can definitely find them in retail stores now. The price gouging hasnt subsided though. Bestbuy has a normal 25% mark up on most GPUs even without mining so beware

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I was talking with some NVIDIA rep today about displays and said that I wanted the LG 38" with Gsync instead, except 100Hz, and didn't they have enough leverage to make that happen?

He just laughed awkwardly, but I know I made a difference in the LG/NVIDIA relationship.
Probably might as well wait for HDMI 2.1 to come out at that point. That way you won't eat the G-Sync tax, too.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

you can definitely find them in retail stores now. The price gouging hasnt subsided though. Bestbuy has a normal 25% mark up on most GPUs even without mining so beware

Office Depot had them for a reasonable price this week. They're around. Give it another month or two and stock will be stable at MSRP and dropping a bit below on sale.

It's not a hard pop yet (although it sounds there are some hilarious financial shenanigans going on, see: the crypto thread) but I doubt all that many rigs were getting built the last month or two at $2 per card per day for a $400 GPU.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of 580s, I actually found one. In the wild. At the Fry's in Fremont, CA.

(I had forgotten to grab a copy of Windows 10 for the computer for the munchkins. Also, air conditioning.)

$400 bucks for a goddamn 1060-equivalent. :negative:

At 1080P, sure probably. At 4k resolution the AMD has about 2x the frame rate, so 40ish fps. I got up to 50fps, ultra, in Doom Vulkan with a 480. The 1060 did around 20-25fps

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

redeyes posted:

At 1080P, sure probably. At 4k resolution the AMD has about 2x the frame rate, so 40ish fps. I got up to 50fps, ultra, in Doom Vulkan with a 480. The 1060 did around 20-25fps

Some people play games other than doom though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The 1060 6gb gets high 30s/low 40s at 4k and I can't find any benchmarks that show the 480 above like 45-50 so I have no idea what that guy is taking about.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
4K is only playable at 780 Ti/970/1060 level of performance in very optimized titles like Source games (TF2, Titanfall 1/2) or e-sports titles like CS:GO or Overwatch (or some other console ports). I've done it, there's a surprising amount of titles that are playable (40fps or more) at medium, but you're definitely going to be dropping to 1440p or even 1080p in some titles.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is an RX 560 or a GTX 1050ti a noticeable upgrade from an HD 6850? And how much would either of those cost if the market wasn't hosed right now?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

SourKraut posted:

The only drawback to 1080p Gsync is that I don't believe there are any IPS displays available for it. G-sync and IPS don't start until 1440p.

I know I'm going to be in the minority with this opinion, but as someone who went from a CRT to the first commercially available high refresh flat panel (Samsung 2233RZ) and now on an XB271HU IPS, having a good quality high refresh monitor is more important than having Gsync. The whole spiel about how you won't notice frame drops because of the way the sync is done doesn't really hold water with me, the framerate is still the number one target.

Maybe the trick is to not expose yourself to gaming at high framerates :)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

VostokProgram posted:

Is an RX 560 or a GTX 1050ti a noticeable upgrade from an HD 6850? And how much would either of those cost if the market wasn't hosed right now?

Yes they're about 2x-2.5x the performance of the HD 6850. I'm unsure of the price difference since I haven't been following that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

..btt posted:

I think its mostly 256bit GDDR5 vs 192bit on the 1060. I'm just saying there is a small difference at 4k. With current AMD prices who the hell would get one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

redeyes posted:

I think its mostly 256bit GDDR5 vs 192bit on the 1060. I'm just saying there is a small difference at 4k. With current AMD prices who the hell would get one.

There's a huge difference at 4k. Doom is just an an extremely forgiving outlier that's also very friendly to AMD cards.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I'm interested in switching from a 1070 to a 1080ti. Is there anything coming soonish that could lead to a price drop that I should be waiting for

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I'm interested in switching from a 1070 to a 1080ti. Is there anything coming soonish that could lead to a price drop that I should be waiting for

Nope!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

No, if the great crypto crash ever comes you'll lose more on resale on the 1070 than 1080Tis would come down in price. You should probably just do it now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not even WCCFTech has ventured a guess yet as to when we'll see consumer Volta. That tells me we're still 9-12 months away.

If anything: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-graphics-cards-see-price-increases-starting-month-due-memory-shortage/

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not even WCCFTech has ventured a guess yet as to when we'll see consumer Volta. That tells me we're still 9-12 months away.

If anything: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-graphics-cards-see-price-increases-starting-month-due-memory-shortage/

Well poo poo, might be time to sell the 1070 and cash in the buttcoins now for a 1080ti; I'll take six to 12 months of top of the line. What's the wattage under load for a 1080ti, 250w?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

tehinternet posted:

Well poo poo, might be time to sell the 1070 and cash in the buttcoins now for a 1080ti; I'll take six to 12 months of top of the line. What's the wattage under load for a 1080ti, 250w?

Yeah, around 250W, maybe a tad higher in some situations, like 270W.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a good estimate, if your power supply is right on the edge an overclocked one can get to over 300 watts, but in general at stock they should limit themselves to 250 watts. In general Nvidia cards have been very good about obeying power limits.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Volta releases tomorrow the sacrificial on the fence 1080ti purchase has been made

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

1gnoirents posted:

Volta releases tomorrow the sacrificial on the fence 1080ti purchase has been made

Thank you for your sacrifice, we will all enjoy our $250 voltas that are twice as fast as the 1080 Ti. :v:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, around 250W, maybe a tad higher in some situations, like 270W.

Sweet. I never realized that my old 770 was like 220w, so a 1080ti shouldn't be a problem at all, I've got plenty of room.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

tehinternet posted:

Looking at 250-300W. My system with a 6700k @ 1.39V uses about 400W measured from the wall.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

..btt posted:

and that game is ashes. AMD is the best lalala i cant hear you

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Thank you for your sacrifice, we will all enjoy our $250 voltas that are twice as fast as the 1080 Ti. :v:

haha you mean more like maybe 10% over a OC'ed 1080ti

its Intel v AMD all over again when AMD was doubling down on bulldozer :sad:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Scarecow posted:

haha you mean more like maybe 10% over a OC'ed 1080ti

its Intel v AMD all over again when AMD was doubling down on bulldozer :sad:

I was being really sarcastic, I expect it to be ~$400 for a card that is +-10% of a 1080Ti and a year away. :smith:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Don't write it off totally yet. NVIDIA has been competing with themselves for a couple generations now, people have been hanging their heads over the terrible cards that NVIDIA will probably release and we've gotten Maxwell and Pascal out of the deal. At good prices, even - pre-crypto-bubble the 1080 was starting to nudge under $400.

(The other half of this is that even if AMD is not competitive, NVIDIA still needs to keep pushing forward because Intel and Google would like to eat some of their lunch too. Even NVIDIA's "gaming-oriented" chips are very big in the compute sector (the GM200 gaming chip launched the whole "deep learning" revolution in the first place), and failing to keep high-performing parts like GP102 and GM200 coming down the pipe is an opening for their competitors. NVIDIA can push a launch back a couple months, sure, but they can't turn this into Intel-style rent-seeking where it's 3% faster per year or whatever. They need to keep pushing performance forward, in the big-picture sense.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 5, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And honestly, if the market gets big enough, I could see defense contractors getting into the business. nVidia's a huge company now, but Lockheed-Martin is a company that can actually *afford* to get involved in new industries from scratch if they feel the risk is merited. Or they'll just BUY nVidia outright.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait for Pentagon Wars 3: Drone Boogaloo.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Before the mining boom, a few brands (like PNY and ZOTAC) had 6GB SKUs that went below $200 after rebates and/or promo codes. I also distinctly remember 8GB 480s hitting $160-180.

This is tough. There's a game that I really want better GPU performance for (Absolver) but other than that, I have no real obligation to buy a GPU right now. So basically I would be paying about 50-70 euros extra just to play one game with a more stable performance. Maybe I'll flip a coin on it. Or pick up a slightly better used GPU and buy a big boy GPU when the prices come down.

I'm going to assume it's going to be like at least like half a year before the prices show any signs of dropping, even if mining were to die down in the next 3 months or so.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What was that alleged number that people were saying that Vega 64 could do in terms of cryptocurrency? 48, right?

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-vega-64-pushed-43-5mhs-130w-mining-ethereum-eclipsing-polaris-efficiency-factor-2x/

WCCFT article, salt now, so you're not gonna be salty later.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
If anything friends and GPU buying have taught me with Nvidia assuming you have the cash to spend is to just buy the Ti card of every generation. The Ti card will end up being equivalent to the mid range card of the new generation sort of how the 980ti now nets you basically the same performance of a 1070.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Avalanche posted:

sort of how the 980ti now nets you basically the same performance of a 1070.

Errrr what

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Not sure if you got a good answer yet, but the 560 (small Polaris) is straight up bad.
Now a direct comparison for those other ones is hard to find due to the age difference, but a 1050ti is roughly equivalent to a 960/380/285/7950.
So you can expect to double your frames in plain older games, more if they use more recent DX11 tricks. Also much more Vram obviously.
A 1050ti should be uh 140€? I'm not sure in that segment. Those things are tiny, too and sip power. They are not used by miners so prices are inflated by maybe 10 bucks, nothing to worry about.
Avoid 3GB 1060's, the next step up is the real 6GB 1060 for 250..300€

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 5, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
RX 560 is slightly cheaper, slightly slower. How is it "straight up bad"?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It's a 99$ 2GB super lowend card that's already flirting with 30fps at low/mdeium settings in some games, for whatever reason.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1430-radeon-rx-560-vs-geforce-gtx-1050/
The average doesn't look too bad, but you can step on some real bad landmines like World of Tanks, Prey, Witcher 3, Mafia 3, Dishonored 2, the Ubisoft stuff..

I didn't realize that AMD added some more shaders when doing the 460-560 refresh, that makes it slightly less bad guess?

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Scarecow posted:

Errrr what

What's the confusion? Every benchmark I've seen agrees with that statement...