Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

There is no raspberry jam, you will have to make volcano salsa instead tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Just finished a mod that puts a new planet type in the game, Crystal Planets. I think i'm slowly getting better at modding. :v:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
stardew coming to the switch in unconfirmed quarter of 2018

same as it ever was

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

spit on my clit posted:

same as it ever was

This is not my beautiful house.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, both Stardew Valley and Risk of Rain are insanely more fun and satisfying than this game. CF, just stick to publishing. :negative:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

CF, just stick to publishing. :negative:

given how well that turned out for any published parties they probably shouldn't do that either

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

spit on my clit posted:

same as it ever was

Didn't they say it was going to be Summer '17 at some point, or am I drowning in a haze of CF poo poo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zamujasa posted:

Didn't they say it was going to be Summer '17 at some point, or am I drowning in a haze of CF poo poo

SAME AS IT EVER WAS (they did)

CF, just stick to publishing. :negative:

no, they should not be doing any developing or publishing as long as tiy is around. boot him out of the business, and then maybe they'll be ready to make some good games and not give absolutely bumfuck horrid publishing deals.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ha ha ha

A HA HA HA HA

well tbh a single delay is very normal and i wouldn't be surprised if part of it is ConcernedApe getting some content ready to release along with the Switch port

like chucklefish blows but delay #1 is ok in the overall

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
isn't this not the first delay though? originally it was "chucklefish is doing the netplay and it will be out in just a few months!" but it's evolved into "netplay will launch simultaneous with the switch" and now it's become "stardew valley will be on the switch, eventually"

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Game instantly crashing when launching. Any fixes to this? (no mods, fresh install, etc etc)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Dr. Carwash posted:

Game instantly crashing when launching. Any fixes to this? (no mods, fresh install, etc etc)

Refund and buying terraria instead :v:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Dr. Carwash posted:

If you've got the steam version, right click on the game in your list > properties > game files > verify integrity.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it should come up with 'none'

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/903228417801256965

this just in, tiy takes credit for making stardew valley while also piggybacking off of its fame. gently caress chucklefish.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"wow this solitary person working alone completely embarassed everything we've ever done in jolly old londontown on our tardis computer cases"

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

What is SDV and why are they making a pixel Little Witch Academia?

That is not to say it shouldn't be made, just not made by Chucklefish.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Heartcatch posted:

What is SDV and why are they making a pixel Little Witch Academia?

That is not to say it shouldn't be made, just not made by Chucklefish.

stardew valley is a game that is like harvest moon made by ConcernedApe, it got immensely popular thanks to the steam queue and youtubers because chucklefish's advertisement for the game, as publishers, was to put out a couple of tweets (tiy was attention whoring when the game released of course) and put a stardew valley tab on the dying starbound forums. they also take 50% revenue of stardew valley for doing pretty much no work up until they started making the console ports.

why are they making a pixel Little Witch Academia? Because Tiy saw the success of stardew valley and realized where the money is.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

bad

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Patware posted:

"wow this solitary person working alone completely embarassed everything we've ever done in jolly old londontown on our tardis computer cases"

well you got the tard part right

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

spit on my clit posted:

stardew valley is a game that is like harvest moon made by ConcernedApe, it got immensely popular thanks to the steam queue and youtubers because chucklefish's advertisement for the game, as publishers, was to put out a couple of tweets (tiy was attention whoring when the game released of course) and put a stardew valley tab on the dying starbound forums. they also take 50% revenue of stardew valley for doing pretty much no work up until they started making the console ports.

why are they making a pixel Little Witch Academia? Because Tiy saw the success of stardew valley and realized where the money is.

Hold up, 50% of revenue? Oh my god, that's painful. ConcernedApe deserves so much better. :smith:

The guy seems legitimately nice and cool and good. I still can't believe he did everything himself. Not even Minecraft/Notch has that distinction, not to this level.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

same as it ever was

We've submitted the game for testing and we're waiting to hear back from Nintendo. Shouldn't take too much longer hopefully.

Hold up, 50% of revenue? Oh my god, that's painful. ConcernedApe deserves so much better. :smith:

Guys, please remember to take most of what is said in this thread with a large grain of salt. It is not based on reality.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
There's no salt to take re: Tiy being a huge piece of poo poo.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I'm genuinely curious to hear Tiy's thoughts on what he learned from Stardew.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"I like money"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"I really CAN get away with anything!" a tool to surpass inafune...

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Are quest bugs a common issue with the base game? I've been trying to get through a Frackin' U run and the absurd number of town quests that bug out has become a(n additional) dealbreaker. Quests npcs that can't be interacted with to turn stuff in, being directed to kill or speak to non-existent npcs and mobs spawning inside blocks. I'm not sure if it's something FU is doing or what but on top of the game chugging like hell and some terribly binary combat difficulty I'm about to just be done (again).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

spit on my clit posted:

they also take 50% revenue of stardew valley for doing pretty much no work up until they started making the console ports.

There's absolutely no way the revshare is that high, considering the game was basically finished and he had a choice of any publisher he wanted (or just go it alone) I would be shocked if it was above 10%.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Let's ask Supernorn, I bet he knows.

Hey, Supes! How much of a cut is Tiy getting for "publishing" Stardew Valley?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Mountaineer posted:

I'm genuinely curious to hear Tiy's thoughts on what he learned from Stardew.

to be charitable i hope it's "oh people like tight game design and not an open bleeding wound of barely integrated mechanics all resting on a single core of shoddy combat"

combat in stardew is more fun than starbound and it's literally just mashing a until you win

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The mechanical complexity of the combat system should be the least relevant thing in a game like Starbound, and yet...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Shortest Path posted:

The mechanical complexity of the combat system should be the least relevant thing in a game like Starbound, and yet...

MORE complexity! Until it's work, like monsters not having touch damage. Then gently caress it :effort:

Am I living in delightedly surprise ignorance where they removed that again?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Section Z posted:

MORE complexity! Until it's work, like monsters not having touch damage. Then gently caress it :effort:

Am I living in delightedly surprise ignorance where they removed that again?

As of now the randomly generated monsters just run and bump into you for touch damage rather than having abilities anymore.
There are unique monsters with abilities but all of them also have touch damage I believe.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

graynull posted:

Are quest bugs a common issue with the base game? I've been trying to get through a Frackin' U run and the absurd number of town quests that bug out has become a(n additional) dealbreaker. Quests npcs that can't be interacted with to turn stuff in, being directed to kill or speak to non-existent npcs and mobs spawning inside blocks. I'm not sure if it's something FU is doing or what but on top of the game chugging like hell and some terribly binary combat difficulty I'm about to just be done (again).

from what I understand there doesn't seem to be anything inherently buggy about the quests, but the whole mobs spawning inside blocks thing is something that can just sort of happen from time to time. Something about hitboxes and weird terrain. You don't see it much in the base game but FU adds a bunch of both blocks and NPCs so I can imagine it might be making a somewhat rare issue more apparently.

as for getting sent to talk to nonexistent NPCs, that might be due to them dying or despawning and the game not offloading them properly. If it tries to assign a quest to an NPC ID that doesn't exist I think your quest giver explodes so it doesn't crash your game.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Speaking of FU, one of my mod users brought something amusing to my attention.

A few weeks back I released my Diverse Weather mod which adds a bunch of new weathers and allows different planets of the same biome to have different climates or weather patterns, using a system that was already ingame and functional but only really used for planets that have optional meteors. Five days later, Frackin Universe releases an update featuring many of the weather types in my mod (earthquakes, cold snaps and heat waves being particularly similar) and diverse climates.

Like I don't mind people re-using ideas (I wouldn't even really call them my ideas, I don't exactly own the concept of an earthquake), but it's kind of dumb they're still up to their old anti-competitive bullshit. They've always had a streak of not wanting any other mod to compete with them and if Diverse Weather and FU didn't have compatibility issues before that update, they probably will now. :v:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Are you sure they didn't just rip your mod off directly and not bother to even give you credit for it? Because that seems like something the FU guy does fairly often.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I did actually look at the files and they're really similar, with some numbers changed here and there and a lot of the file naming syntaxes really similar to what I used, but honestly it's impossible to tell if they actually swiped my files directly or just remade them using the same techniques I did. I mean how many different ways are there to basically remake the same thing? :v:
Even if they did theoretically straight up swipe my poo poo there's not a whole lot I can do about it though, so I just view it as more amusing than annoying really.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT
So, my wife said she was gonna poke through FU's public discord channel and I pretty much shrugged and said go ahead if she feels like it.

She found that not only did they straight up swipe my stuff:

BUT as an added bonus, they specifically set out to override and brick my mod because they're pissed at me not working with them:

And wants to "bury me" and take away my subscribers as a punishment for not working with/around them:

Like... bro. Seriously. What the gently caress are you doing? Are you THIS mad I don't support thieves? :psyduck:
Full archive of all the Good poo poo my wife found can be found backed up right here, just incase they abuse imgur's systems to pull the screenshots down like they've apparently done before to other mod authors they didn't like (read the top bit of the description).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know it's nothing new, but why so many shitlords that don't want people to have nice things unless it is THEIR nice things in modding communities :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I guess some people find a niche where they get attention and praise for something so they get territorial and try to push out other people who might compete for that attention. I'd be mad on I Said No's behalf, but it's loving Starbound, so might as well let that dumb bastard have this.