Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Uglycat posted:

While all the active posters are telling each-other not to post, I'd like to take the time to yell at the lurkers.

Yeah, you. Fucker.

Post.

I'll have you know I post plenty, mostly to interject on points of regional interest or to nerd out about ultimately pointless questions of Congressional procedure. :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Hellblazer187 posted:

More embarrassing for the US, you mean? If we're still a superpower, then why can't we have UHC and real worker protections? Why is our infrastructure more like the infrastructure in Latin America than like the infrastructure in Europe and Japan?

Probably because "superpower" has very little to do with the domestic conditions of the state.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hellblazer187 posted:

More embarrassing for the US, you mean? If we're still a superpower, then why can't we have UHC and real worker protections? Why is our infrastructure more like the infrastructure in Latin America than like the infrastructure in Europe and Japan?

Muh tax dollars!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yes, more embarrassing for Americans.

We can have UHC and real worker protections and infrastructure maintenance/improvements. We can absolutely afford those things... we just don't because one of our political parties core principles is "gently caress poors, don't spend tax money on anything."

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uglycat posted:

While all the active posters are telling each-other not to post, I'd like to take the time to yell at the lurkers.

Yeah, you. Fucker.

Post.

Rude as hell.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Uglycat posted:

Yeah, you. Fucker.

Post.

Go to hell, I'll post when I'm ready!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Uglycat posted:

Yeah, you. Fucker.

Post.

Trump is a bad president and DeVos might actually be the appointment that does the most irreparable damage to your country. Sessions is a close second.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

William Contraalto posted:

Treating FDR as a leftist is historically ignorant hagiography that pushes an anti-democratic understanding of politics.

compared to where we're at right now, he's pretty left. he's certainly not leftist on an absolute spectrum (though then again, the left-right spectrum is p dumb anyway), but i've never advocated for much beyond the style of programs fdr brought forth (well, on the economic side, we also have to do a lot on the racial side of things), but i'm frequently called an unsatisfiable leftist, so might as well embrace it :shrug:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

freckle posted:

Rude as hell.

Quorum posted:

I'll have you know I post plenty, mostly to interject on points of regional interest or to nerd out about ultimately pointless questions of Congressional procedure. :bahgawd:

LtStorm posted:

Go to hell, I'll post when I'm ready!

A resounding success for all involved!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Uglycat posted:

Yeah, you. Fucker.

Post.

I will never post.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Yes, more embarrassing for Americans.

We can have UHC and real worker protections and infrastructure maintenance/improvements. We can absolutely afford those things... we just don't because one of our political parties core principles is "gently caress poors, don't spend tax money on anything."

Right, yes, I'm 100% in agreement then.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Furnaceface posted:

Trump is a bad president and DeVos might actually be the appointment that does the most irreparable damage to your country. Sessions is a close second.

you're forgetting Scott Pruitt literally ruining the country by poisoning potentially millions of people and Steven Mnuchin killing the few remaining middle class people with retirements' 401k's leading to massive poverty and homelessness of senior citizens in 20-30 years. Not to mention Ben Carson dismantling HUD leading to the further raping of poor and minority communities.

Yeah. Trump is an idiot but all of his cabinet members are much more dangerous.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

i'm not disagreeing that we need more focus on those institutions, but pretending a left-leaning president wouldn't help even without those is silly. a left-leaning president could actually help build those institutions!

as for fdr, yeah. i'm not as far left as some people like to pretend i am. i'm not full communism now at all.

I'm saying we won't get a leftist president at all until we actually change our culture and build the institutions to do it.

Would you say you are in favor of democracies that have limited and regulated markets?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Lets place bets on a cottage industry of carpetbagging lawyers springing up around Houston similar to this NYT article or like medical office "debt collection."

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Ah yes the "hills" of New York State

(That's White Face Mountain)

The Adirondacks are part of New York State

That's a hill. hth

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hellblazer187 posted:

Well, thanks for answering. I'll have to do some research into each of these to how important I find each and how responsible I find her for each of them. But it's an answer, at least. She's doing A-OK as a Senator right now though.

She was pretty cool on housing litigation as an AG, too. That's the area where she stood out as not generically terrible in the ways state AGs are generically terrible.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

you're forgetting Scott Pruitt literally ruining the country by poisoning potentially millions of people and Steven Mnuchin killing the few remaining middle class people with retirements' 401k's leading to massive poverty and homelessness of senior citizens in 20-30 years.

I also forgot Rick Perry not knowing how to handle nuclear waste potentially killing millions slowly.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you're interested, current IR theory is that we're currently in a unipolar world, due to the collapse of the Soviet Union and no other country being able to compete with the US. This isn't necessarily good, however, because you can't expect one power to be able to cover the entire world and prevent issues, so you get flare-ups like ISIS or North Korea or the sino-indian border conflicts we're seeing again.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying we won't get a leftist president at all until we actually change our culture and build the institutions to do it.

and i'm saying we nearly did, and i think we can regardless in 2020

quote:

Would you say you are in favor of democracies that have limited and regulated markets?

depends on how you define regulated markets. i think free trade is a kind of unregulated market and that we need to have trade deals that protect workers' rights worldwide instead of letting corps exploit third world workers for the benefit of no-one but the rich. poo poo like the sweatshops in haiti need to end. poo poo like nafta letting us prey on mexico economically needs to end too

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 4, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Someone on twitter made a good point about ending the DACA program. Say goodbye to all that debt. I wonder how much is actually out there.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

Condiv posted:

she thought it was a good idea to throw parents in jail for their children's truancy, she refused to prosecute the criminal actions of a bank that one of trump's goblins owned (and he donated to her campaign, and only hers of all dems afterwards), and her department argued against releasing inmates ordered released because california needed the cheap labor

The truancy complaint falls apart the second you look at it, it was aimed entirely at chronic truants under like 8th grade (basically when parents keep kids out of school to babysit, help with work, etc, not lovely teenagers who would rather go to the beach). It also wasn't "throw in jail" as much as it was "accept this help we are providing from social workers/language skills/life coaching/etc to make sure your kids make it to school or face additional consequences."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lote posted:

Someone on twitter made a good point about ending the DACA program. Say goodbye to all that debt. I wonder how much is actually out there.

debt collectors will go after your relatives if you've died

i mean sure, de jure that debt is gone but it doesn't mean you won't be hounded for it still. and that people who don't know their rights won't fall for the predatory debt collectors who will say whatever to try to get money out of you

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

drat Your Eyes! posted:

The truancy complaint falls apart the second you look at it, it was aimed entirely at chronic truants under like 8th grade (basically when parents keep kids out of school to babysit, help with work, etc, not lovely teenagers who would rather go to the beach). It also wasn't "throw in jail" as much as it was "accept this help from social workers/language skills/life coaching/etc to make sure your kids make it to school or face additional consequences.

thowing parents in jail doesn't help truancy period. the kind of parents who will "keep kids out of school to babysit, help with work, etc" are unlikely to have the resources to help their kids get to school after being thrown in jail. hell, after they get back out of jail it may make things even harder on the family since the parents probably lost their jobs

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
It's been pretty funny to watch people rationalize their hatred of NAFTA without coming to grips about what "ending NAFTA" would actually mean.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
sorry to come back to north korea for a second, but this is a really good if incredibly bleak article:

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/04/undercover-in-north-korea-all-paths-lead-to-catastrophe/

i'm not gonna copy paste it here cause it isn't that long and it's really all important, so there's no point picking out certain parts.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Condiv posted:

debt collectors will go after your relatives if you've died

i mean sure, de jure that debt is gone but it doesn't mean you won't be hounded for it still. and that people who don't know their rights won't fall for the predatory debt collectors who will say whatever to try to get money out of you

Can't go after relatives if they get deported too. Good luck going after debt in a foreign country.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lote posted:

That's why the finance industry is ashen faced, yes.

It also rips 800k motivated, generally educated or soon to be educated workers who need to maintain an ongoing work history (so not quite as good as non DACA minions but pretty good) out of the general business economy with particular concentration in southern ish urban centers.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gonna be great when half the people we get at each others' throats over either don't actually run or aren't especially notable in the race.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I have to say it's perfect that the guy who spends so much time whining about how the Dems are bad literally emigrated the country last year.

Dude you literally ran off from trying to reform the country, stop thumping your chest about how much more pure you are than the hated centrists.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

I have to say it's perfect that the guy who spends so much time whining about how the Dems are bad literally emigrated the country last year.

Dude you literally ran off from trying to reform the country, stop thumping your chest about how much more pure you are than the hated centrists.

uh, i didn't emigrate last year. try like 4 years ago now

as if you care about anything though since you voted trump to troll people

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Since this thread likes to post those god awful twitter threads, here is a tool I found to make them more readable.

https://tttthreads.com/

(Unfortunately due to Twitter's API policy, it only works for relatively recent threads. So no "game theory". That was the first thing I tried.)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 4, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

And tell us more about how France is good to you as a white American while continuing to whine about how bad Hillary is to African Americans.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Uglycat posted:

Yeah, you. Fucker.

Post.

Make me!

... gently caress.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
New York and Washington state have both indicated they'd sue over DACA ending, but not sure on their exact legal argument.

Tribe mentions a potential due process violation regarding DACA

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/904533283891027968

I'm not sure how far I trust the Roberts court on that one.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

shrike82 posted:

You don't need to be there to help. I'm not defending Condiv specifically, we have different views of the Democratic party. But I also live abroad, and I vote, and I donate. It's certainly possible abroad.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Hellblazer187 posted:

You don't need to be there to help. I'm not defending Condiv specifically, we have different views of the Democratic party. But I also live abroad, and I vote, and I donate. It's certainly possible abroad.

he's just trolling as usual. this is a guy who said he's looking forward to voting trump in 2020, and he's proud of voting trump in 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Shrike is an actual ultraracist oval office.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oddly this (edit:DACA) is one area where I probably wish we had Scalia over Gorsuch because he was routinely pretty okay on due process.

Gorsuch is probably a lost cause because it's an executive action, Alito is definitely a lost cause because he hates foreigners and Latinxs, and I'm not optimistic about Thomas on this one outside of my fantasy scenario of him arguing that immigration policy is solely a concern for the individual states. :v:

Don't remember enough about Kennedy's immigration etc record and it's always risky betting on Roberts saving us by focusing on his legacy.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah i've had my issues with condiv (like, a lot) but shrike of all people doesn't get to call out anyone. gently caress that guy.

anyway, here's republicans getting roasted at town halls. enjoy.
https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/904757120884764672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lol condiv

What is it with people who are steeped in conflict with the us political / cultural system expatriating to France?

• Locked thread