Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

It's nihilistic as gently caress, with this embodiment of golden goodness seeming destined to repeat this same cycle and provide food for the Lodge spirits again and again, but it absolutely lines up with the themes of the show as a whole, which makes me much more comfortable with the idea that this might be it.
So Laura was sent by the Fireman just to quench the hunger of BOB and Judy? To hold them at bay to prevent something worse?

So far this nihilistic reading is the simpliest one, and welp, I guess it kinda makes episode 18 jive with me a little bit opposed to not at all like last night during my initial viewing. jfc Lynch, really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Escobarbarian posted:

Funnily enough my co-host hated episode 17, especially the "bad" effects and the fact someone we only met a couple episodes ago was the one who finally defeated BOB, but really enjoyed 18.

I still enjoyed E17, but I found the final showdown to be something of a let down comparatively for similar reasons. Everyone shows up at the same place and time, but mostly they don't have much to do with the defeat of the doppelganger/Bob, other than Freddie. Cooper gets there after the doppelganger has already been shot. Freddie punches Bob into another dimension. All Cooper does is put the ring on the body basically. Andy and Lucy play a role, but it's all very brief. Cole and the FBI crew don't really do anything. Same for the Mitchums. I think the main purpose for everyone being there is so that Cooper can be in the same room as all of them and tell them all that he hopes to see them again (Ed really should have been there for that part too, incidentally). The whole thing just felt really quick, cursory and tidy, which I suppose was the intent since the Fireman has clearly been orchestrating things to get them to that point.

I liked the rest of the E17 and all through 18, even though there was some discomfort to it. It was all Cooper doing Cooper stuff and that's always great with me. Hopefully there's a chance to see more of the continuing adventures.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 5, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Modrasone posted:

I had the opposite reading! I was totally knotted during the long Cooper/Laura driving scenes. It slowly made me realise that everything was wrong and I found the conversation with Mrs. Tremond/Chalfont at the Palmer house unbearably horrible, never mind the little bit afterwards.

Yeah I genuinely felt sick for the last ten minutes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fatherboxx posted:

Loved it; sure was fun for two months of mythology speculations, but Lynch and Frost clearly have disdain for traditional plots (Boop defeated by the chekovs gun to end all chekov guns)
Deep fried Chekhov's guns, no less!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Deep fried Chekhov's guns, no less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGfqRQVrToo

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Escobarbarian posted:

Hey, I just had a thought.....does anyone think one of the themes of this season was ELECTRICITY??

That's ridiculous! Where would you get that idea

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Zmej posted:

So Laura was sent by the Fireman just to quench the hunger of BOB and Judy? To hold them at bay to prevent something worse?

If that wasn't originally the plan (I believe she was meant originally to be a trap or magnet) then it's certainly a more acceptable status quo than allowing Judy to poke her disgusting proboscis finger into the rest of the world.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zmej posted:

So far this nihilistic reading is the simpliest one, and welp, I guess it kinda makes episode 18 jive with me a little bit opposed to not at all like last night during my initial viewing. jfc Lynch, really?

This is a possibility for sure and gives me more to think about, but I personally meant it as the Fireman overall failing in his attempt to bring something into the world to counteract the results of the atomic bomb.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

- Random conversations at bars between characters we don't know, about people or things we don't know. Happened a few times. Boring as poo poo, pointless.
- Ben Horne's scenes were essentially pointless. They had almost nothing to do with anything, were completely disconnected, and they weren't even really a continuation of anything from Ben Horne's old plots (unlike, say, Big Ed and Nadine).
- The first two Audrey scenes. They were not funny, they were not interesting, they were not understandable, they were an Audrey that might as well be an entirely new character, talking to someone who we don't know and who we can barely understand who it is, about people we've never met (and who probably didn't even really exist).
- Musical performances.

Those are the most egregious. More debatable is that the plot is generally unnecessarily convoluted for no real reason:

- Everything involving multiple hitmen and a tangled web of criminal associations for Evil Cooper, targetting Dougie, etc.
- A lot of the law enforcement stuff and all the complications finding out about Briggs.
- The first two episodes' presentation of Bill Hastings hardly feels like a match to what we see next, it's originally this thing that resembles Leland's posession and then it just ends up being something completely different; no real "point" to the first parts (although they are good scenes, so I don't necessarily dislike them).

Now, you could argue that there's a point to the plot being so convoluted, and we could talk about the experience Lynch is trying to create... but then during the second half of the show there are at least two scenes where Gordon has to just sit down and give an exposition dump and explain the mechanics of what is going on, because it would be incomprehensible otherwise. That, to me, seems like a deeper issue with the clarity of what's being presented.

It's a really unbalanced eighteen hour show. It's a revival of an old series where some of the old characters (the FBI ones in particular) have tons of scenes and exist almost entirely to aid the plot, and some of the old characters only show up ocassionally and seem to be there only because they used to be there. It has new characters that don't appear onscreen enough to register much of anything. You can obviously see thematic similarities between Becky and Laura, and the character has an importance to Bobby and Shelly, but it's someone that shows up for a half dozen scenes over the course of eighteen hours, with big gaps in between, the impact is just not there. It's a show in which a lot of the plot machinations hinge on two people whose actors are dead and who thus don't appear on the show and aren't actually 'characters'.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 4, 2017

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I know CNN.com isn't the arbiter of good taste, but I just came across their article slagging Twin Peaks while praising Game of Thrones and I wonder if any network will greenlight a season 4 for David Lynch (granted I don't know how he got the leeway/budget he did for season 3 in the first place). The article cited less than 500,000 viewers per week. Apparently Season 4 of GoT averaged 18 million per episode (yes, comparing the two shows is dumb).

But it's also funny because I watch both shows and usually I watch GoT first followed by Twin Peaks and going from one to the other is so jarring, like GoT has certain plot points and beats it has to hit and has become very blockbuster while TP is the ultimate auteur, doesn't give a gently caress, buy the ticket and take the ride experience, it's so refreshing and unlike anything else on TV.

Dumb CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/29/entertainment/game-of-thrones-twin-peaks-finales/index.html

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Pedro De Heredia posted:

- Musical performances.

Beep boop nothing emotional about musical performances

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In episode 4, Sheriff Truman and Bobby discuss people in town ODing and dying from Chinese designer drugs and setting up surveillance to see how the drugs are coming into town, so I guess that would've had to do with the Renault brother that works at the Roadhouse if that plot had ever gone any further, but it didn't. And now it's irrelevant. But we got enough of that in the original anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

zenguitarman posted:

I know CNN.com isn't the arbiter of good taste, but I just came across their article slagging Twin Peaks while praising Game of Thrones and I wonder if any network will greenlight a season 4 for David Lynch (granted I don't know how he got the leeway/budget he did for season 3 in the first place). The article cited less than 500,000 viewers per week. Apparently Season 4 of GoT averaged 18 million per episode (yes, comparing the two shows is dumb).

But it's also funny because I watch both shows and usually I watch GoT first followed by Twin Peaks and going from one to the other is so jarring, like GoT has certain plot points and beats it has to hit and has become very blockbuster while TP is the ultimate auteur, doesn't give a gently caress, buy the ticket and take the ride experience, it's so refreshing and unlike anything else on TV.

Dumb CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/29/entertainment/game-of-thrones-twin-peaks-finales/index.html

Not even gonna click this dogshit article but gently caress whoever wrote it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zenguitarman posted:

Everyone gonna order more dumbfuck fantasy and superhero shows, drama televison is an absolute hellscape

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bobby's probably so affected by seeing Laura's picture in episode 4 because she was literally created as an angel & she's been gone so long & the town's in complete disarray without her.

Oh great, now I get to see the Wally Brando scene again! :haw:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

This is a possibility for sure and gives me more to think about, but I personally meant it as the Fireman overall failing in his attempt to bring something into the world to counteract the results of the atomic bomb.
Oh, that works too. I just thought about episode 18 was Coop's failure but I suppose it is the Fireman's failure too.

I have been taking a lot of classes/workshops about trauma for my social work degree and the final note of Twin Peaks does kinda resonate with me. People who experience one trauma often experience more traumas or are retraumatized throughout their life. And despite all the programs and reforms, it's incredibly hard to prevent trauma.
It will never go away. Kinda weird Lynch would harp on that when he thinks TM can solve so many woes.

However episode 18 was a dull and dumb way to communicate such a thing. And the previous 17 hours don't really lend to this finale. I felt like I was watching Lost Highway with Cooper which was weird.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 4, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

- Random conversations at bars between characters we don't know, about people or things we don't know. Happened a few times. Boring as poo poo, pointless.
- Ben Horne's scenes were essentially pointless. They had almost nothing to do with anything, were completely disconnected, and they weren't even really a continuation of anything from Ben Horne's old plots (unlike, say, Big Ed and Nadine).
- The first two Audrey scenes. They were not funny, they were not interesting, they were not understandable, they were an Audrey that might as well be an entirely new character, talking to someone who we don't know and who we can barely understand who it is, about people we've never met (and who probably didn't even really exist).
- Musical performances.

I disagree entirely.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Thatim posted:

jack rabbit!!

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG_30nGDlxo&t=105s

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
I did enjoy reading the articles from the New York Times about it. Those episode reviews

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

lol missed that twitter joke

it so was about the bunny

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

General Dog posted:

Sheryl Lee is still the best screamer alive.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My dharma is the thread.

Your dharma....................

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I want nothing more than for a fourth season of TP to be made in which dale and Carrie / Laura navigate their way through the twin peaks lost highway dark universe only to be rescued and lead home by the multi-dimensional road traveling hero: Wally

/edit: and his sidekick, James. The man who was always cool.

G-III fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 4, 2017

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

Beep boop nothing emotional about musical performances

The musical performances in this are, for the most part, just Lynch filming bands he likes and putting them on at the end of the show. There's no consistency in sound, style of performance, or anything. If you like the bands (and I like some of them), you'll probably find it interesting. If you don't, you won't.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you thought nothing about the musical performances tied into the rest of the show, you just might be a moron. Hate to be the one to tell you.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
I asked this a few pages back and never got an answer: the corpse in Odessa-Laura's house, was there garmonbozia puke down the front of its shirt?

It looked like it to me but I only saw it for a split second and don't have access to the show again to double-check. Please, could someone take a look for me?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

If you thought nothing about the musical performances tied into the rest of the show, you just might be a moron. Hate to be the one to tell you.

Interested in why this would be the case. That's a point I actually agree with. Aside from a couple of exceptions like the Axolotl song in episode 15

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The musical performances in this are, for the most part, just Lynch filming bands he likes and putting them on at the end of the show. There's no consistency in sound, style of performance, or anything. If you like the bands (and I like some of them), you'll probably find it interesting. If you don't, you won't.

Many of them are songs Lynch wrote, or songs Lynch requested the artists write for the series, including Eddie Vedder's. The lyrics of every song are thematically relevant to the show. Listen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gatekeeper posted:

I asked this a few pages back and never got an answer: the corpse in Odessa-Laura's house, was there garmonbozia puke down the front of its shirt?

It looked like it to me but I only saw it for a split second and don't have access to the show again to double-check. Please, could someone take a look for me?
I'll screenshot it after I'm done with the episode I'm watching now. Give me like 15 minutes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

Interested in why this would be the case. That's a point I actually agree with. Aside from a couple of exceptions like the Axolotl song in episode 15
Well for example, here are some of the lyrics to Eddie Vedder's song:

quote:

[Verse 1]
Can't climb to heaven on the cross
One liar's promise drained the blood from my heart
Came a message in the dark
Offered the hand of a disembodied man
While I still had the chance

[Chorus]
Now it's gone, gone
And I am who I am
Who I was I will never be again
Running out of sand

[Verse 2]
I stare at my reflection to the bone
Blurred eyes look back at me
Full of blame and sympathy
So, so close
Right roads not taken, the future's forsaken
Dropped like a fossil or stone

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Pedro De Heredia posted:

- Musical performances.

Those are the most egregious. More debatable is that the plot is generally unnecessarily convoluted for no real reason:

- Everything involving multiple hitmen and a tangled web of criminal associations for Evil Cooper, targetting Dougie, etc.
- A lot of the law enforcement stuff and all the complications finding out about Briggs.
- The first two episodes' presentation of Bill Hastings hardly feels like a match to what we see next, it's originally this thing that resembles Leland's posession and then it just ends up being something completely different; no real "point" to the first parts (although they are good scenes, so I don't necessarily dislike them).

Now, you could argue that there's a point to the plot being so convoluted, and we could talk about the experience Lynch is trying to create... but then during the second half of the show there are at least two scenes where Gordon has to just sit down and give an exposition dump and explain the mechanics of what is going on, because it would be incomprehensible otherwise. That, to me, seems like a deeper issue with the clarity of what's being presented.

It's a really unbalanced eighteen hour show. It's a revival of an old series where some of the old characters (the FBI ones in particular) have tons of scenes and exist almost entirely to aid the plot, and some of the old characters only show up ocassionally and seem to be there only because they used to be there. It has new characters that don't appear onscreen enough to register much of anything. You can obviously see thematic similarities between Becky and Laura, and the character has an importance to Bobby and Shelly, but it's someone that shows up for a half dozen scenes over the course of eighteen hours, with big gaps in between, the impact is just not there. It's a show in which a lot of the plot machinations hinge on two people whose actors are dead and who thus don't appear on the show and aren't actually 'characters'.

Guess what Bitch shut up

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Gatekeeper posted:

probably corn

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That dude's hands are in such an odd position.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The scenes with Ben Horne aren't useless. They set up Cooper getting the ring back. Note that the lamp in the corner and the light it's making looks like the design on the ring. And Horne was trying to find the source of the ringing noise. Ring and ringing.

Also, I think the "alternate reality" theory is accurate because the whole scene with them going in the basement looks exactly like part of the alternate ending to the pilot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Do you guys think Carrie shot him or he shot himself? I saw both theories being presented, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Carrie shot him because of the position of the hole in his head and the blood on the wall.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Well for example, here are some of the lyrics to Eddie Vedder's song:

I mean, this was literally written for the show, too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do you guys think Carrie shot him or he shot himself? I saw both theories being presented, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Carrie shot him because of the position of the hole in his head and the blood on the wall.

lol I'd love to read the retarded theories about a man shooting himself in the front of the head.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also note the frozen meal to the side. Same type Chad was eating (two of). The plastic is still covering one part, but he clearly ate the main part and one side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

got shot

But what is up with his left hand?

Edit: I also had the feeling he was dead for a while. Wasnt there the sound of flies?