Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Stoatbringer posted:

:) Hey internet, I did a thing and I'm really proud of it.
:byodood: YOU DID IT WRONG!

Seconds later, in some other part of the web:

:byodood: Hey internet, I did a thing and I'm really proud of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Several weeks later..

Sociopastry posted:

Catchy earworms. I can't sleep because my dumb brain wants to sing this song at me over and over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WchseC9aKTU

God. drat it.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

Several weeks later..

God. drat it.

For me it's Glitterball, takes about a week to get rid of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQF5aHVOW5s

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Football announcers saying "ironically" to mean coincidentally, or sometimes nothing at all

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Trivial thing that annoys me:

See the yellow box. Spine layouts for books in the same series or same line changing between new entries.

Look at those Zorro ones. Looks a bit unprofessional to me. Or the Nero Wolfe ones: why's the green one slightly taller than the blue one?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have that problem with my .hack//sign DVDs - volume 1 has a different design to all the others and it clashes.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Football announcers saying "ironically" to mean coincidentally, or sometimes nothing at all

"has ran"

I've always heard that wearing shoes all the time leads to fallen arches and the people I know who wear shoes indoors also seem to get athlete's foot on a regular basis. I have no idea why anyone would want to voluntarily endure shoes for a second longer than they absolutely had to.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I don't like being barefoot or just wearing socks indoors, and I'm also not fond of tracking dirt around the house, but luckily this is why slippers exist! I love my slippers. (Or houseshoes or whatever you call them.) I'm like a grandma as soon as I get home-- loose "home" clothes, giant sweater/t-shirt in summer, slippers. And then I never leave the house again.

Of course, for other people's homes it's a moot point unless you're some weirdo who carries slippers around with you, but I hate taking my shoes off at other people's houses. I don't know what's in your​ carpet! If it's not like it's raining or anything, I guarantee you won't need to mop/vacuum "every day" unless you obsess over floor cleanliness, in which case you'll probably be doing it anyway.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Inspector 34 posted:

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but flat head screws. Who in the loving hell decided these were a good idea? Probably some assholes who could count on never ever having to work on a thing, ever. gently caress flat head screws forever, and especially the lovely ones they use for wall outlets for some reason.

While I share your hate of flat head screws on a general level, they're actually pretty much necessary for certain electrical applications.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I still track dirt around the house because I remain barefoot outside when I'm doing yard work and stuff unless there's a significant amount of snow on the ground. I tried slippers for a while but after I've had them on for about 20 minutes they're just as uncomfortable as any other shoe/sock. I think of shoes as being like gloves except for your feet, and I don't wear gloves around the house all day.

http://www.graceusatools.com/item-details.php?item_id=72&category_id=1
I think that this is the set of flat screwdrivers I have. It completely unshits the experience because they actually fit the screws properly.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

clothes of any kind are pointless outside of the home and if you're clothed in your own home you've failed as a person

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I hate that weird anti-work ethic where you get mocked for doing your job, or putting in effort in your job.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hate that weird anti-work ethic where you get mocked for doing your job, or putting in effort in your job.

It's a race to the bottom in most cases now. People like to take advantage of companies by putting in the bare minimum, and people who actually try make them look bad so you'll become a target and probably be the first on the layoff list for disrupting the workplace. Hard work isn't rewarded (in general) anymore.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You are making the rest of the workers look bad by putting in more effort. Do you think you are better than them or something?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The answer to that question, "Do you think you're better than me?" should always be: "If you feel asking that question is appropriate, then yes. I do think I'm better than you. Stop trying to drag me back into your miserable bucket of angry crabs."

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Noctone posted:

While I share your hate of flat head screws on a general level, they're actually pretty much necessary for certain electrical applications.

Which applications? Is it a practical issue or something where flat heads have just been the standard for so long that it's all anybody uses?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Typical goons, not knowing how to screw.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I know I've complained about this before but gently caress APPLICATION FORMS!!! :argh:

The one I just filled out somehow took more than an hour. Format and software problems meant that I had to rebuild the a lot of it from scratch. The design was moronic. The history tables had separate columns for month and year for the to and from dates. The education history table also wanted separate completion dates so in total, 6 columns for the dates alone leaving a small amount of room for education establishment and qualifications. Good luck if you don't have microscopic writing!

The other form this week was almost as bad. On top of wanting me to manually write everything I had already e-mailed to them on my CV (and very little else) by their request I also had to take a 40 minute trip to the library to scan and e-mail all of my certificates which they simply don't need at this stage in the application. The highlights of the lovely form design are (from what I remember) the employment history having no duties section and half a page being given just to tell them which schools and colleges you've attended but not what you've studied; that's on a separate page. This was all for a job requiring so little in terms of qualifications that they actually e-mailed me to make sure I wanted to apply before sending the form.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

When tv shows and movie insert animal noises when an animal is on screen to make sure you know YES THATS A HORSIE, WHAT DOES THE HORSIE SAY?

See also any bird of prey with the red kite screech slammed in there for no loving reason

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Also tires squealing on gravel/dirt roads.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

teenytinymouse posted:

When tv shows and movie insert animal noises when an animal is on screen to make sure you know YES THATS A HORSIE, WHAT DOES THE HORSIE SAY?

See also any bird of prey with the red kite screech slammed in there for no loving reason

Yeah, definitely. It gets to be a little obnoxious when you hear the same exact sound every time. Every cat goes "REEEEEyaawwrr!" no matter what, apparently. Why are there foley artists if they're going to never record another animal or scream sound again?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

teenytinymouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5LbxkvE0Wo

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

teenytinymouse posted:

Ads and movies that animate animal or baby faces to look like they're saying words it's freaky as gently caress and I hate it

The baby in the car you're pretending is singing Proud Mary is not cute it makes me want to die please stop I will not buy that car from that scary baby

C-C-C-COMBO

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always hate when people get lovely about celebrities just because they are celebrities. In the first series of panel show Would I Lie to You, Tara Parker-Tomkinson was a guest occasionally, and while she was a bit... off, she did have really funny moments, like when they were discussing the story of a different celebrity having cloud physically moved away from her birthday party, Tara pipes in with the notion that she had that done herself when she was younger, and sure that revealed a spoiled upbringing but she told the story fairly well and was funny. There was also a great moment when David Mitchell has to explain that he is writing a children's book called the Lonely Lighthouse, and Tara pipes in with "Is it autobiographical?" which was a funny thing to ask.

All I see in the comments on her clips are people making GBS threads on her because she at least comes across as unintelligent and a bit weird, but she seemed nice enough and sometimes demonstrated some wit so I never minded her myself. She died recently of medical complications, and she had a drug problem, which probably explains the vagueness she demonstrated, but with what I saw of her she at least seemed reasonably nice for a socialite. It also seemed like she knew when she was making herself a target of the other panelists because of how she told her stories.

She may have been a bitch on earlier TV appearances, I don't know, this was the only thing I've seen her in myself, but she seemed at least inoffensive as far as guests go.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
People love lying to me to try to drop off lab samples over the weekend when everything but the Emergency department is closed.

:byodood: "I called ahead and the lab tech said it was fine"
:nono: "Okay, I'll give them a call to confirm"
:byodood: "They told me you'd take me right up"
:nono: "Nope, I have to confirm before taking anyone to a restricted area."
:byodood: "Well actually what they said was the lab is open 24 hours so they must have lied to me"
:nono: "No lab has ever been open 24 hours, who did you speak to?"
:byodood: "I dunno"
:nono: "What number did you call?"
:byodood: "I dunno"

And then when I call the lab tech, she decides to do the guy a solid and try to process his sample anyway, only to find out he has none of the necessary paperwork and doesn't even remember the name of the doctor requesting it. :cripes: This sort of thing happens nearly every single weekend and it's always unbelievably transparent. One dude was told explicitly we weren't taking his sample, waited until I left the office, then left his sample and the paperwork on my window sill. Hospital policy made me shred the paperwork and destroy the sample for patient confidentiality/biohazard reasons, so have fun requesting medical paperwork and records because you couldn't be assed to drive fifteen minutes to the lab that's open on weekends, fool :argh:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

teenytinymouse posted:

Agreed, but then for every single bird of prey they use the stock scream of a red tailed hawk. Especially for eagles. So much to the point that people now think that's what eagles sound like.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't know if this is a pet peeve or just a thing pissing me off (probably both):
[e/n]:

An old friend of mine is back in town and stops by my place of work. We talk a bit as I'm closing up shop; he's been driving basically most of the night and all day and stopped by here (his brother works here as well) before heading over to his house. I tell him it's probably a good idea to just head home and get some sleep but he insists "no i'm fine I wanted to take you guys out to dinner". "You sure?" "Yeah, yeah" etc. Related, I mention that my parents are having a BBQ for labor day and ask if he'd like to just stop by there. He says he'd rather take us out to one of our old favorite restaurants so I tell my parents I probably won't be stopping by.

I don't have a car; I ride my bike everywhere including to and from work. A storm is brewing. My friend and his brother stand in the parking lot trying to figure out if they can get my bike into the trunk before we decide it won't fit. They then start talking about what they want to do. "We can meet you here, or you can ride here and I"ll go here." "Well my new apartment is out here and this is how you get there" "Well I'm terrible with directions so" yada yada till eventually I just make the executive decision that I'm going to ride home and meet them there. Of course by this point it's too late and I'm caught riding home in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Finally I get to my apartment and he shows up. I change and then get "well, maybe we can hang out tomorrow." I basically just say yeah fine and show him the door. So now I've got soaking wet shoes that I have to dry before I work in the morning from a storm I normally would have avoided, I'm hungry and I've also now missed my parents BBQ.

[/e/n]

My pet peeve is that my friend has no follow through and I'm constantly sacrificing poo poo, such as sleep, to do poo poo with him but it never pays off.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
People spelling (and pronouncing!) Tabasco as 'Tobasco'.

Also that people think Tabasco is a good hot sauce.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I think it tastes like old metallic dirt.

I'm the same way with "chipolte", it drives me mad. Look at the word! Say it to yourself!

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
When the address bar autocompletes to a specific page on a website when I'm really just looking to get to the main site, not the page I went to six months ago for thirty seconds.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

People spelling (and pronouncing!) Tabasco as 'Tobasco'.

Also that people think Tabasco is a good hot sauce.

Also, habanero is just habanero. But people insist on saying it like habaņero. It has no accent on the n. Just because jalapeņo has it doesn't mean every pepper has it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Also, habanero is just habanero. But people insist on saying it like habaņero. It has no accent on the n. Just because jalapeņo has it doesn't mean every pepper has it.

But the tilde means spicy!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't like "streamers" in general, but I especially hate the ones who sing or hum along to the music they are listening to. Shut up.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
People who write 'breaks' when 'brakes' should be used

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
This is me being stupid, but I was listening to Patton Oswalt telling jokes and he referenced Coachella- a word I literally had never heard out loud before. I now know it's "co-a-chella", and not "coach-ella" and it made simultaneously go "that's loving dumb" and "ugh I'm so loving boring and uncool because I don't know how to pronounce that word and will never attend it"

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

This is me being stupid, but I was listening to Patton Oswalt telling jokes and he referenced Coachella- a word I literally had never heard out loud before. I now know it's "co-a-chella", and not "coach-ella" and it made simultaneously go "that's loving dumb" and "ugh I'm so loving boring and uncool because I don't know how to pronounce that word and will never attend it"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the past 10 years I've only heard it pronounced coach-ella.

Here is the official Coachella youtube page where they pronounce it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfpMzo9U3CY

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Sep 6, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hate paper napkins. I never feel like I can get my hands clean using them without ripping them to shreds especially if they are on the thin side.

It's why I never eat ribs unless I've cooked them at home. You eat ribs, you need a thick heavy towel.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I hate paper napkins. I never feel like I can get my hands clean using them without ripping them to shreds especially if they are on the thin side.

It's why I never eat ribs unless I've cooked them at home. You eat ribs, you need a thick heavy towel.

If you are at home why not just wash your hands instead of making towels dirty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Sininu posted:

If you are at home why not just wash your hands instead of making towels dirty?

because you're probably going to touch things in the interim, like your drink or something, and this is the reason napkins exist in the first place?