Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i'm pretty sure the plebiscite is going to get voted down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Mods, please change thread title

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Auspol September: Sponke the Monkey

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

GlenMR posted:

Oh. Well in that case it's all here.

https://nevertheempress.bandcamp.com

Have you ever played at the empress hotel?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i didn't learn how to sponke the monkey until i was twenty but apparently that's normal for gender #48 children

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BBJoey posted:

i'm pretty sure the plebiscite is going to get voted down

Long live Mr Potatohead PM.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Recoome posted:

mods please change my name to Sponke the Monkey

How many alt-right children's books are they going to make??

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Makes you think eh?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Excuse me stewardess, I think my seatbelt is gay.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Glad to see someone being honest about their isolationist urges

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

An Australian white power group, whose members pledge allegiance to Hitler during secret radicalisation camps, is posting propaganda around Melbourne designed to sway the national same-sex marriage postal vote.

respectful debate australia!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

I like how all this homophobic stuff keeps throwing infertile straight people under the bus. Like I doubt they'd actually tell a barren relative "sorry, guess you can't get married since no biological kids will come from it" and yet that's what they keep implicitly saying.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Synthbuttrange posted:

An Australian white power group, whose members pledge allegiance to Hitler during secret radicalisation camps, is posting propaganda around Melbourne designed to sway the national same-sex marriage postal vote.

respectful debate australia!

but enough about the LNP

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Box of Bunnies posted:

I like how all this homophobic stuff keeps throwing infertile straight people under the bus. Like I doubt they'd actually tell a barren relative "sorry, guess you can't get married since no biological kids will come from it" and yet that's what they keep implicitly saying.

Conservative guy I know kept making the "but they can't have children naturally" argument and when I asked about infertile hetero couples he was disgusted and said of course they can get married and how offensive it was to make that comparison because they were still doing PinV as Jesus intended.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

This week’s Essential data says 59% (up 2% from a fortnight ago) support changing the law to allow same-sex couples to marry and 31% (down 1%) are opposed.

The voter groups most in favour of marriage equality are Labor voters (73%), Greens voters (82%), women (65%) and younger people aged 18-34 (69%).

A clear majority are also saying they intend to turn out for the ballot, with 62% (down 1% from a fortnight ago) saying they will definitely vote in the ballot if it survives the high court challenge and 16% (down 2%) reporting they will probably vote.

People most likely to definitely vote are Greens voters (74%), women (66%) and people aged over 55 (72%).

gently caress old people.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Eat the elderly and rich.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Synthbuttrange posted:

Some still do.

AgentF posted:

I think children are going to figure out how to sponke their monkeys on their own. It's not like some forbidden ancient secret.
It isn't? I want my 20 Baht back :mad:

Don Dongington posted:

I use Spotify but I support bands I like by buying their t-shirts because they actually make more off merch than music sales.
Ensure that the T-Shirts (stickers whatever) are licensed merch otherwise the band gets diddley.

DancingShade posted:

A fan that doesn't try to buy direct is a fuckwit.
What if that's your entire fan base?

-/-

Tapes will always be in some fundamental ways inferior to digital these are wow and flutter. Doesn't matter if it is a 2 inch 24 track or a vintage walkman this is a fact of tape reproduction that can never be eliminated. However digital relies upon AD DA converters. Some are good some are not. At the heart of this is the fast fourier transform and because all AD DA converters use some form of integer resolution there will always be subtle digital artifacts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog-to-digital_converter . For instance let's say I have a piece of recorded music that has a silence at the front and at the end. Simply removing these silences will effect the final data set that represents the program material. Normally you can't hear the difference but sometimes it causes digital anomalies AND they may not show up on everything you reproduce the music on because the reverse maths may not make the final analogue glitch. Digital is definitely the way of the future but it has inherent problems. Practically the worst is the loudness war. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

-/-

Oh Australian politics? It's bad. Please turn the electric chairs on on your way out.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Seriously the public discourse today could be boiled down to "fifty years ago I could walk the streets without seeing gays or foreigners and I liked it that way"

And our grey-haired foreign born pollies are pandering to it something fierce

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Seriously the public discourse today could be boiled down to "fifty years ago I could walk the streets without seeing gays or foreigners and I liked it that way"

I keep seeing memes like "I miss when Australians could make fun of each other on tv instead of being so politically correct!", then when you look at the picture it's 50 white people (with a couple of Italians and Greeks thrown in for "variety").

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Senor Tron posted:

I keep seeing memes like "I miss when Australians could make fun of each other on tv instead of being so politically correct!", then when you look at the picture it's 50 white people (with a couple of Italians and Greeks thrown in for "variety").
What they really mean is they miss when Australians could make fun of everyone else except white cishet Australians. And it's not like most Australians have a sense of satire either, you show them sites like Betoota Advocate and they'll eat that crap up thinking it's real then get really upset when they find out it's making fun of "true blue" Australians.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

JBP posted:

Good. Don't steal content. It fucks with Australian revenue from all media, which flows into reduced Screen Aus funding and makes it really loving hard to lobby the government who see nothing but industry bottom lines. It puts local producers off side and then as a ~*market force*~ drives down what producers pay local film and tv crew. It damages the ability of industry groups to get things like local offsets for internationals and costs the local industry heavily in experience on major productions, both for crew and actors.

Stealing entertainment is loving stupid.

they could also

a. make content available conveniently to the australian market
b. stop their relentless price-gouging of australian consumers
c. actually make good australian content that doesn't make me cringe my fingernails back into my wrist

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Milky Moor posted:

c. actually make good australian content that doesn't make me cringe my fingernails back into my wrist

Is cleverman good? Looks interesting.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zenithe posted:

Is cleverman good? Looks interesting.

haven't seen it, but want to. reviews, however, are not that positive.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Milky Moor posted:

Good news, the new show from the The Katering Show Kates started last week

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-05/andrew-forrest-announces-breakaway-rugby-league-for-indo-pacific/8873458

Earlier today RugbyWA lost its appeal against the axing from the Super Rugby competition, although the organisation is weighing further legal avenues to challenge the ruling.

Mr Forrest said the new game would include teams across the Indo-Pacific.

"We will include strong and deeply powerful players, broadcasters and fans of rugby all across the Indo-Pacific region where some 60 per cent of the world's people live on our time-frame right here in Western Australia," he said.

He said the league would be extended to seven-a-side teams to encourage women and girls in rugby.

"I will be releasing details immediately of the initial administration structure and can assure all of you that discussions have commenced across the world and within our own State and country to ensure this competition starts and starts strongly and continues strongly," he said.

Mr Forrest said it was a poor financial decision by the ARU to turn down an offer of $50 million to keep the Western Force alive and called on ARU chairman Cameron Clyne to resign.

He said he would be encouraging South Africa and other teams to "come across" from SAANZAR, the existing southern-hemisphere governing body, to his new league.

More to come.

I'd like to think Twiggy would lose a bunch of money on this, but I'm sure he'll be able to get his mates in government to fund it with public money.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Milky Moor posted:

haven't seen it, but want to. reviews, however, are not that positive.

Toocleverman looks pretty great but

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The ARU can go and get hosed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

they could also

Its this.

I have friends in the film industry and they have no shortage of work and their pay is pretty decent (but they work a lot of hours too). Plenty of big name films coming to Aus (alien covenant and pacific rim 2 are the last they worked on) so I dont think JBP is telling the whole story, those films dont exactly have small budgets.

its still cheaper, more convenient and faster for me to get poo poo via Sonarr/Radarr than it will ever be to legitimately pay for media, so I will continue to do that.

Music, I am happy to buy stuff I cant get otherwise (and increasingly my taste has shifted to obscure stuff that you simply cant find on torrents anyway) and Then when the band rolls into town I go grab a T-shirt and stickers or patches or posters.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"Too many poof, too many reffos,"

-rod taylor, welcome to woop woop, an Australian documentary

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/AlanJones/status/904454766872338432

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Milky Moor posted:

they could also

Yeah those things would be great.

There is decent Australian content out there. It's all kind of boomer/over 40 centric though since our scripted TV industry is basically loads of drama. Glitch is good if you haven't watched it and the second season is out soon (it got partial funding by Netflix but airs on ABC first).

Laserface posted:

I have friends in the film industry and they have no shortage of work and their pay is pretty decent (but they work a lot of hours too). Plenty of big name films coming to Aus (alien covenant and pacific rim 2 are the last they worked on) so I dont think JBP is telling the whole story, those films dont exactly have small budgets.

The studios still look at the production costs and the offsets. Those films have come for the dollar for sure and the crews here are really good. The guy that produced Pacific Rim 2 really likes it here despite being angry about doing that shoot and needing to negotiate an EBA basically.

The whole story is unfortunately that without a better offset we won't see the kind of work that's happening now. There isn't anything much after Aquaman which is surprising considering we did Pirates, Thor, Kong, Pacific Rim 2 and Alien all in quick succession. All of those productions were agreed to shoot here well in advance. The GC studio is closed for the Commonwealth games, but Fox is open and that's where they did Alien etc. They've got nothing majot booked in 2018. The competitiveness of the offset is a major sticking point as well as having an ongoing template because the studios are starting to hate our industrial system as much as the crew members.

I think people have taken me as defending studios or whatever, when what I'm talking about is keeping the work here. I am worried about the next production coming into Queensland after Aquaman (which is currently nothing). If nothing eventuates they'll head to Vic and there just isn't enough local drama shooting in Melbourne next year since we lost 3 shows on ABC and a few things from the other producers are in limbo.

All I care about is getting funding for film and tv so people in the industry keep on trucking and also don't get put on dogshit agreements like the ones Alien and Pirates had, which are widely hated by long term workers. You still make good money, but that's always going to be the case when you work 16 hour days like a maniac.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 5, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also piracy isn't the biggest issue getting the offset. We also don't have enough strength industrially to force the government to move, but piracy does give them another bs reason to push back. It's rarely ideological either since these films are big budget shows about rugged individuals demonstrating their greatness. It's more that the back room bean counters pore over the tax revenue and then feed MPs poo poo about how many millions they're losing in tax. MP then goes "why are we funding film when we don't get revenue from it?"

E: ALSO! the current way the agreements for films are set up is that 10% of crew vote on it under pressure from the studio, then the other 90% have to eat poo poo and not get penalties and stuff (not getting to be involved is probably the worst thing, because people feel like poo poo when they see agreements with few penalties and have no power to change it). It's really unfair, so the whole thing is basically to get a cross production agreement with decent rates in it like Aquaman (which is the best agreement so far) and then direct all that wasted negotiating energy at lifting the offset to international standards of about 30%.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 5, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bigis posted:

The ARU can go and get hosed.

QFT.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
An issue on the tax end is that the film sector is one amongst many crying for tax breaks. The issue (for the government, not me) is less about the merits of the case independently for the sector but whether it makes a more compelling argument than other industries/sectors for the extra dollar of spending, in terms of economic growth outcomes. You also have the issue that some people want the tax breaks extended to other areas (e.g. Video games development or new media) as opposed to doubling down on screen content.

I personally think we need a much greater quantum of support for creative industries in general and some future government could craft quite a compelling package of reforms around it - the creative economy does better with government spend than many other areas and its a high potential area of growth for an English speaking country like Australia with a lot of economic and social spillovers, plus it's a strong catalyst for the demand side of innovation. Hollywood still is a major export for the US and NZ, the UK and Canada all spend big on it for this reason. A bit more future proof than other areas of the economy too.

Anyway it's all mostly moot under this government in these circumstances.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Move all coal subsidies to film/media subsidies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The games stuff is so bad. The people in government that might support it have just resigned themselves to saying "the US will just take those producers/developers and the workers anyway so gently caress it". We were on the cusp of having that high tech industry pumping, but it fell over and everyone watched it going ah well.

hooman posted:

Move all coal subsidies to film/media subsidies.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Screen Australia had like, one good game ever. And I have a strong suspicion it was two lovely games that somehow combined to make a solid one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

Screen Australia had like, one good game ever. And I have a strong suspicion it was two lovely games that somehow combined to make a solid one.

Hand of Fate?

Wait, maybe not, I could have sworn I saw the screenaus logo on the intro... maybe I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

hooman posted:

Hand of Fate?

Yes.

• Locked thread