Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

His Divine Shadow posted:

What a lame-rear end forced situation

That sentence sums up Staton/Curtis era Tracy pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Zippy

Ripley's

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 16, 1996)

Garfield Classic (January 16, 1986)

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Woooooof

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Most of the time Zippy just kind of makes my eyes gloss over because it's so loving banal while thinking it's "alt", and that's a minor crime when there's poo poo like Dustin or the Hollbrook strips in this thread, but that one.... man, I don't know. That is pretty goddamn pretentious and lazy.

Have some Wallace to fix things.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

His Divine Shadow posted:

What a lame-rear end forced situation, she could just have changed her loving clothes.

It's established that she won't do this because she is a hippie who wants to be "close to Mother Earth". Also she feeds people to her pet hyena.

My sympathy is limited, is what I'm saying.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Here's the rest of the comics while I'm at it.

BC

Baldo

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Curtis

Baby Blues

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, that's true, and those sausages are in grocery stores, but they sell them in their factories' cafeterias and that's got to skew the numbers.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Haifisch posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck:

This strip keeps topping itself when I think it can't get any weirder.
Yes.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
U.S. Acres

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

God I know US Acres gets at least different but I can't wait until that starts happening.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Everything's fine until someone loses a face.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2002 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
Oh gently caress you Gilchrist. The piss clumps I cleaned out of my cat's litterbox have more value than you.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what the gently caress is Meg's problem
Her father has taught her that constantly making GBS threads on her brother is normal and acceptable.

What a wonderfully toxic family dynamic.

Or you could just NOT answer your phone...?

You are the hero America needs. Thank you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

root posted:

Her father has taught her that constantly making GBS threads on her brother is normal and acceptable.

What a wonderfully toxic family dynamic.
And the author has zero self-awareness that he's accidentally made Dustin the only sympathetic family member.

Dusting works his rear end off in a steady string of temp jobs while trying to find full-time work, never gets any credit for it. Dad constantly shits on him for not having a respectable office job because we all know they just hand those out once you graduate college. Meg is the golden child in contrast to Dustin being the designated fuckup(and the strip format means she'll conveniently never have to reach the age where she's battling the job market too). A boomer/millennial morality play.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Meg is the worst character in Dustin (and that's saying a lot) because she's the most obvious mouthpiece for the writer's Boomer entitlement fantasies.

"See, look - a young person who *agrees* with me! She's one of the *good ones*!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Unless she's wearing a dress that ends above the knee.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Haifisch posted:

And the author has zero self-awareness that he's accidentally made Dustin the only sympathetic family member.

Dusting works his rear end off in a steady string of temp jobs while trying to find full-time work, never gets any credit for it. Dad constantly shits on him for not having a respectable office job because we all know they just hand those out once you graduate college. Meg is the golden child in contrast to Dustin being the designated fuckup(and the strip format means she'll conveniently never have to reach the age where she's battling the job market too). A boomer/millennial morality play.

Simian_Prime posted:

Meg is the worst character in Dustin (and that's saying a lot) because she's the most obvious mouthpiece for the writer's Boomer entitlement fantasies.

"See, look - a young person who *agrees* with me! She's one of the *good ones*!"

I do wonder if "Boomer" is the right pigeonhole for people who think like that.

and now, on to Ballard Street

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 10, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (January 25, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (February 23, 1924)

Lil' Abner (October 23, 1937)

Barney Google (February 24, 1923)

Alley Oop (May 26, 1934)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You know, Luann, you do have a job and you live with your parents. You can just go buy some caviar. Go blow some money on a tiny little jar, taste it, throw up, and then cross it off your extremely tame fantasy list.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

And that's the end! I'll return soon once I've had a chance to upload a few more adventures.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

You're an old doughy guy now, Guy. Just deal with it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

The build up has worked for me. I really want to know what happens.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

She's probably going to run off, but I wouldn't mind a strip where June walks in and finds her hanging from a ceiling lamp or something.

Apartment 3-G

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Julet Esqu posted:

You know, Luann, you do have a job and you live with your parents. You can just go buy some caviar. Go blow some money on a tiny little jar, taste it, throw up, and then cross it off your extremely tame fantasy list.

The Evans's certainly have their finger on the pulse of the teenage zeitgeist.

Reply All

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Vargo posted:

Most of the time Zippy just kind of makes my eyes gloss over because it's so loving banal while thinking it's "alt", and that's a minor crime when there's poo poo like Dustin or the Hollbrook strips in this thread, but that one.... man, I don't know. That is pretty goddamn pretentious and lazy.
In what way is it pretentious?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Vargo posted:

You zippy-sucks types pop up every few hundred pages and always assume everyone agrees with you. Why does a cartoon about goofy nonsense make you so angry and disgusted you start swearing? You admit yourself this thread is chock full of strips with zero effort and actively malicious ideas, but that you get most worked up about the plotless clown. I just don't really understand. Zippy's injected little doses of inoffensive gibberish into underground newspapers since before you were alive, but you're comfortable deciding whether it is or isn't quote unquote alt - then lmao who are you to call anything pretentious

Actually I typed all this before I remembered that the Zippy guy dunked on Dilbert so hard, Scott Adams published a whole series of offended strips with Dogbert mocking Zippy. That should be all the reason you need to like Zippy, and I'm afraid agreeing with Scott Adams on anything is grounds for committal so you'll need to stay here until the cops come please.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cobweb Heart posted:

You zippy-sucks types pop up every few hundred pages and always assume everyone agrees with you. Why does a cartoon about goofy nonsense make you so angry and disgusted you start swearing? You admit yourself this thread is chock full of strips with zero effort and actively malicious ideas, but that you get most worked up about the plotless clown. I just don't really understand. Zippy's injected little doses of inoffensive gibberish into underground newspapers since before you were alive, but you're comfortable deciding whether it is or isn't quote unquote alt - then lmao who are you to call anything pretentious

Actually I typed all this before I remembered that the Zippy guy dunked on Dilbert so hard, Scott Adams published a whole series of offended strips with Dogbert mocking Zippy. That should be all the reason you need to like Zippy, and I'm afraid agreeing with Scott Adams on anything is grounds for committal so you'll need to stay here until the cops come please.

Zippy is still bad, tho.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Zippy and Ziggy crossover when

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Cobweb Heart posted:

You shouldn't have had a meltdown over someone disliking Zippy.

Zippy is bad, by the way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Cobweb Heart posted:

Dunking on Scott Adams is good, but Zippy is still bad.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Command Ant posted:

You shouldn't have had a meltdown over someone disliking Zippy.

Zippy is bad, by the way.

So far we've got Scott Adams, a yoda avatar, and an anime avatar. Any other winners want everyone to know how wrong they are?

edit: haha oh god anime avatar #2

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 5, 2017

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
zippy is boring or mediocre when at its worst, but also achieves heights of delightful absurdity. i feel like when i'm reading it, there's like 50% of the context i need to fully "get" it missing, so i get how that could seem pretentious. i just think it's silly tho :shobon:

i don't think zippy takes itself seriously enough to actually be pretentious.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don't know if Zippy is bad or not. It's just bland to me.

I'm here for actually engaging hate reads, and a few strips that don't actively suck.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

The build up has worked for me. I really want to know what happens.

Diana blows his brains out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cobweb Heart posted:

Actually I typed all this before I remembered that the Zippy guy dunked on Dilbert so hard, Scott Adams published a whole series of offended strips with Dogbert mocking Zippy.

You can't say this without posting the comics.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Been away, but let's catch up on stuff!

Buni

Norge of Adventure

Man, that's some ace word balloon drawing there.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

you didnt get to go run a single errand, jesus christ

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Norge of Adventure

Man, that's some ace word balloon drawing there.

How
in
the
world ...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The girl should be in the window seat since she was seated first. This really bothers me.

• Locked thread