Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was hard to get a sense of how important some of the skills were in the first world so it would have felt bad to be locked into those early choices. And with challenges sometimes you need Luigi to have triple overwatch with maximum high ground bonus, sometimes you need him to have Itchy Feet +2 for 10 movespeed and double jump

Yeah, this level forced me to start paying attention to changing the builds up. I was also in an awkward spot where I needed 90 more coins to unlock a very necessary upgrade for Mario, and then I needed another 1000 for a serious upgrade for Peach. Despite that I kept plowing ahead. I was down to just Luigi, one rabbid left with 40hp. It's his turn, and while he runs for cover I take him out and win the game with 20 health left. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What were people's reactions when the game was first revealed? Because I remember some people on twitter were loving LIVID over it and having the hot take that a western developer gets their hands on Mario and the first thing they do is add guns

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Think it was more "Mario and Rabbids? Made by Ubisoft? That's gonna suck so much donkey dick it ain't funny" while it was still in the rumoured-to-be-in-development stage.

And then it was announced and it turned out to be Faux-Com and everybody loved it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Think it was more "Mario and Rabbids? Made by Ubisoft? That's gonna suck so much donkey dick it ain't funny" while it was still in the rumoured-to-be-in-development stage.

And then it was announced and it turned out to be Faux-Com and everybody loved it.

Like seriously at the risk of sounding fanboyish and like a console warrior at this point in time I don't think Nintendo would lend their most representative franchise to a developer unless they knew the game was going to be good

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

Yeah the internal pitch material leaked before the game was announced and it was...bad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Calaveron posted:

What were people's reactions when the game was first revealed? Because I remember some people on twitter were loving LIVID over it and having the hot take that a western developer gets their hands on Mario and the first thing they do is add guns

Didn't Miyamoto want to give Mario a gun for a long time? I'm surprised he never did it himself.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

Like seriously at the risk of sounding fanboyish and like a console warrior at this point in time I don't think Nintendo would lend their most representative franchise to a developer unless they knew the game was going to be good

phone rings

Hey I've got a Mario and Sonic at the Olympics on the line for you?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also the reveal had some hilariously badly translated poo poo.

Like there was a poster of Mario with "Turtle Shelves???" On it which was just bizarre.

Never Forget

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 5, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah the internal promo material was... bad without context. The second the announcement revealed it was Mario XCOM I was on board and hyped as hell for it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Calaveron posted:

On here people were more laughing at the typos and debating if it was fake. (after awhile I started thinking the promo material was fake just because of the typos but welp- egg on my face).

Actual gameplay reveal and stuff went over pretty well actually.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It really didn't help that those documents were for internal use only, so it looked significantly sloppier than what most official game reveals would look like, souring people's impressions even more.

Though I think it worked out in the end, since it let people get used to the idea of Mario with a gun by the time E3 came around.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

On here people were more laughing at the typos and debating if it was fake. (after awhile I started thinking the promo material was fake just because of the typos but welp- egg on my face).

Actual gameplay reveal and stuff went over pretty well actually.

Yeah really early reactions were negative but after gameplay got shown at e3 people started getting hyped for it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpNDNzHR3N4

Basically the director wanted nothing more than to make a game that Miyamoto would be proud of, but we didn't really know all that leading up to the reveal so it was basically "eww rabbids"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
All I know is that Miyamoto stood on that stage speaking wonders about the concept and developers and made the ubisoft man cry with emotion and I figure that's gotta be the most important moment of that man's life

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Nuts and Gum posted:

Am I the only one completely unable to beat 3-1? The ink status effects are brutal, and you can't ever move without someone taking a shot at you. Closet I've got was 2 left with just Luigi hiding out of range in a corner.

I guess I should try this respec'ing business.

Cleansing Jump will save your life.

Also don't be afraid to respec skills or just have the game do it for you [I just let it fo it for me now that i have several hundred points and I can't be bothered now.]

I will say that ignoring the autospec to make sure Mario and Luigi have 2x-3x overwatch shots is preferable.

E: as much as the rabbids are so similar to minions i gotta say that the rabbids have a lot of charm in them that makes me like them so much, maybe it's because they all seem to have varying personalities now instead of when they first came out and just screamed with some punchline.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Calaveron posted:

in hindsight you are correct but at first we all saw rabbids and had a immediate negative reaction due to how annoying they've been

honestly they've been pretty alright in this game, lots of personality to the MC ones and bosses (especially world 3 boss, i don't think an nintendo game has ever had that deep a level of loving self-mockery in a while)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sentry turrets are great for triggering enemy overwatches

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zerilan posted:

Yeah really early reactions were negative but after gameplay got shown at e3 people started getting hyped for it.

Yeah in typical Nintendo fashion they came out swinging by showing gameplay, and a ton of it, and basically destroyed any bad vibes people had for the game. I think people were understandably put off by the leaks. A Mario game, not handled by Nintendo themselves, by Ubisoft no less, starring the RABBIDS. Like nothing about that sounds good on paper. Plus I don't think anyone was expecting the game to be "XCOM but Mario". It's such a different type of game than what Nintendo has ever done before.

It also feels like on Ubisoft's side, they tried to make the Rabbids a bit more charming and it ends up working pretty well. Both Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Peach have actual personalities and the Rabbid that is causing all the chaos is adorable. It also helps that they made the lovely rhoomba thing so much of an rear end in a top hat to make the Rabbids so much better in comparison

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Yeah in typical Nintendo fashion they came out swinging by showing gameplay, and a ton of it, and basically destroyed any bad vibes people had for the game. I think people were understandably put off by the leaks. A Mario game, not handled by Nintendo themselves, by Ubisoft no less, starring the RABBIDS. Like nothing about that sounds good on paper. Plus I don't think anyone was expecting the game to be "XCOM but Mario". It's such a different type of game than what Nintendo has ever done before.

It also feels like on Ubisoft's side, they tried to make the Rabbids a bit more charming and it ends up working pretty well. Both Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Peach have actual personalities and the Rabbid that is causing all the chaos is adorable. It also helps that they made the lovely rhoomba thing so much of an rear end in a top hat to make the Rabbids so much better in comparison

Rabbid Mario is great too since his personality seems to be good natured plumber muscle man
The scene before the World 2 boss where Spawny gets trapped in the fridge and falls off a cliff and Rabbid Mario gives Junior a comforting pat on the hand gave me a big ol' belly laugh

mandatory lesbian posted:

in hindsight you are correct but at first we all saw rabbids and had a immediate negative reaction due to how annoying they've been

honestly they've been pretty alright in this game, lots of personality to the MC ones and bosses (especially world 3 boss, i don't think an nintendo game has ever had that deep a level of loving self-mockery in a while)

Ok I think I'm on stage 2 of World 3 and I don't think I'm ever going to get to the boss because you guys are talking it up to be incredible and I I'm afraid it's not going to live up to the hype.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My little brother is livid because people like this game. Everytime I tell him about people enjoying aspects he hates he gets so pissed. I have no clue why he even hates Rabbids so much. He wasn't old enough to remember them basically killing Rayman.

Its pretty funny.

VVV There was a time period between those platformers and his last game where he appeared to have been totally cannibalized by the Rabbids though

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 5, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

My little brother is livid because people like this game. Everytime I tell him about people enjoying aspects he hates he gets so pissed. I have no clue why he even hates Rabbids so much. He wasn't old enough to remember them basically killing Rayman.

Its pretty funny.

Rayman ain't dead dude starred in two of the best recent platformers

By the way is Rayman 2 on the Wiiu Virtual Console or something? That game was basically the perfect 3d platformer and it's a shame I can't play it right now

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Ok I think I'm on stage 2 of World 3 and I don't think I'm ever going to get to the boss because you guys are talking it up to be incredible and I I'm afraid it's not going to live up to the hype.

i genuinely loved it, but i did escape seeing anyone fanboy about it

i think if you love mario games you will appreciate it on some level, even if you aren't laughing the whole time like me

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Its pretty funny.

VVV There was a time period between those platformers and his last game where he appeared to have been totally cannibalized by the Rabbids though

Your brother has internet poisoning I'm sorry to say

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
immediate unskippable cutscene. oh how i've missed you, bee soft

update: the screen dimmed because the cutscene has been going on too long. oh man

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 5, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Boss 2 music is A+++++

Peach's ability :O

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

My god what I would do for even JUST ONE undo move button per battle. Or like an ARE YOU SURE confirmation to pop up when I accidentally click on a spot way out in the open to move to

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I wish skill trees worked by toggle instead of having to reset and respec from scratch. I mean, it's functionally the same thing and much less of a hassle to actually do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zore posted:

Also the reveal had some hilariously badly translated poo poo.

Like there was a poster of Mario with "Turtle Shelves???" On it which was just bizarre.

Never Forget

Honestly I think this image is super important because Nintendo jealously guards their characters and maintains the status quo pretty hard but when another dev works on their properties you get stuff like Peach and Bowser as playable characters. I really want to see Zelda farmed out more because that's one series Nintendo is adamant about keeping traditional. Like Triforce heroes should've been Link, Ganon, and Zelda you have three loving triforce users with unique abilities and infinite possibilities to team them up (if one triforce hero dies you all die, go fight this greater evil) but it's three goddamn Links.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

al-azad posted:

Honestly I think this image is super important because Nintendo jealously guards their characters and maintains the status quo pretty hard but when another dev works on their properties you get stuff like Peach and Bowser as playable characters. I really want to see Zelda farmed out more because that's one series Nintendo is adamant about keeping traditional. Like Triforce heroes should've been Link, Ganon, and Zelda you have three loving triforce users with unique abilities and infinite possibilities to team them up (if one triforce hero dies you all die, go fight this greater evil) but it's three goddamn Links.

Nintendo is way more open to experimenting with Mario than any other property really. Peach has been playable in most of the platformers released over the last few years, and even stuff like Bowser being playable crops up semi regularly in the RPG entries like Mario+Luigi and Paper Mario.

And honestly a lot of series iteration and experimentation has been for the worse. Let's not forget Paper Mario post Thousand Year Door, the new Pikmin 3DS game that's a platformer, Federation Force, Metroid: Other M, Star Fox Adventures.... which were all attempts to move away from 'traditional' versions of the game.

Mario and Pokemon, and recently Zelda, are their only franchises big enough that they put out mainline games and a lot of weird/niche spinoffs. Some of which become huge and good (Mario Kart) while others flounder (Pokemon Conquest). Contrast it with, say, Donkey Kong where if you put out a weird and experimental title like Jungle Beat its literally the only Donkey Kong you get for like 8 years.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 5, 2017

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Real pleased this game owns. The gameplay and cinematics are refreshing, somehow i don't despise the rabbids. Ubisoft did pretty well on this one

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zore posted:

Nintendo is way more open to experimenting with Mario than any other property really. Peach has been playable in most of the platformers released over the last few years, and even stuff like Bowser being playable crops up semi regularly in the RPG entries like Mario+Luigi and Paper Mario.

And honestly a lot of series iteration and experimentation has been for the worse. Let's not forget Paper Mario post Thousand Year Door, the new Pikmin 3DS game that's a platformer, Federation Force, Metroid: Other M, Star Fox Adventures.... which were all attempts to move away from 'traditional' versions of the game

It's not the gameplay I'm worried about, I still think even the worst Nintendo games are at worse average. But even when they try a new design it's still Bowser at it again, or Andross attacking the galaxy, Ganon ruining poo poo, whatever. You have the biggest catalog of recognizable characters outside of Disney, do something fun with them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

It's not the gameplay I'm worried about, I still think even the worst Nintendo games are at worse average. But even when they try a new design it's still Bowser at it again, or Andross attacking the galaxy, Ganon ruining poo poo, whatever. You have the biggest catalog of recognizable characters outside of Disney, do something fun with them.

Like Smash? :v:

Also they deliberately get away from all those things you mention pretty often? Like of the last 6 Zelda games, Ganon isn't even there in 3 of them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I noticed in this game the rabbids completely dropped the whole "eyes turn red and they scream" thing and it's one of the only things that really, REALLY grated on me in the past.

It's weird, I wouldn't mind checking out whatever the Rabbids are in next even as a curiosity thing and if they go back to being terrible then it's going to be a shame. I think it also helps that the ones in this game have different body types so they aren't all the same copy pasted white rabbids over and over again.

Calaveron posted:

Rayman ain't dead dude starred in two of the best recent platformers

By the way is Rayman 2 on the Wiiu Virtual Console or something? That game was basically the perfect 3d platformer and it's a shame I can't play it right now

Rayman Raving Rabbids was their first game. Rayman had to travel exotic locals to defeat the evil rabbit army that was sprouting out of the ground and using mechs and robots to slaughter the glade of dreams.
Seemingly last second the game changed to a minigame collection where Rayman had to play stupid games to escape from rabbit jail. It ends with Rayman failing to save everyone and getting stuck in a hole

Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 was more of the same where Rabbids wanted to take over Earth. Rayman was the main character but could be swapped out for Rabbids for... some reason? Who knows it's a dumb minigame thing but it was kinda clear in hindsight that they were testing to see if he was even needed for the game to sell.

Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party had rayman only in cutscenes, literally nothing else.

Then they became Raving Rabbids and dropped him entirely and Rayman died for a *LONG* rear end time. People just cared about the rabbids as far as Ubisoft was concerned so Rayman died. He was only revived because they needed something to use the Ubiart engine on or whatever that was. Origins and Legends are some of my favorite platformers period but it really felt like the limbless dude was just gone after they popped up.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 5, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zore posted:

Like Smash? :v:

Also they deliberately get away from all those things you mention pretty often? Like of the last 6 Zelda games, Ganon isn't even there in 3 of them.

Smash is a third party game headed by someone whose clearly a Nintendo fanboy but I digress. Nintendo's mainline series almost universally follow predictable beats.

My point is more collaborations, more young(er) people working on the properties. With a 30+ year catalog we're getting veteran developers who were weened on Nintendo properties in their golden age. These are the people who should be helming the next generation of mainstream Nintendo games just like it took a mega fan to rekindle people's love of classic Sonic.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 5, 2017

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Just got through this game - spent basically all Labor Day weekend beating it. I really liked it.

I was concerned at first that it would be too easy but the difficulty really starts to ramp and forces you to use a lot of the complexity of the combat system to your advantage or you'll lose.

One thing I liked too is that it forces you to use different character line-ups. I didn't mess around with my builds too much but I never had a "go-to" line-up. I.e. Luigi is fantastic on large maps but sucks on close-quarters maps. Rabbid Luigi is a great sub-in for healer (either of the princesses) on close-quarters maps as well as he can multi-dash stick vampire to a bunch of different enemies, then the Marios can basically full heal themselves with a volley. Usually if I couldn't beat a map I had to change my line-up and tactics, and I appreciate that in a tactics type game.

Really the only character I couldn't find a good niche for was Rabbid Yoshi. Everything he brought to the table some other character does better, or just as good with more flexibility.

Overall would highly recommend this game. It's like Xcom without the base management (which can be a pro or con depending on who you ask) and the combat had a lot more depth because of the movement stuff to factor in and a much more varied set of skills. Also, because of the lack of base management, the difficulty felt a lot smoother. Xcom goes from easy to real hard back to real easy again every time I play it because you end up just getting a godteam from proper base management. This game's difficulty progression is a lot smoother and more deliberate.

Also there's lots of bright colors and rabbids.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm actually really impressed by how good this game looks. the environment and animation are top notch. I hope Odyessy looks this good.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If I do badly in a level and perfect it in the washing machine later, do I get the coins that make up the difference? Or do I need to perfect it the first time through in order to get the most money? And if so, is there a way to roll back if I find out I went past the perfect turn count?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Just finished my first 'supa hard' challenge and it took me 3 of 6 required turns.

Rabbid Mario and Peach are monsters

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Argue posted:

If I do badly in a level and perfect it in the washing machine later, do I get the coins that make up the difference?

I think you get a base amount of gold any time you beat a level + You do get the missing bonuses when you Perfect a level at a later time using the washing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Calaveron posted:

The reveal of the gameplay was my favorite E3 thing this year. It went from being a joke to being one of the main drivers of me getting a switch.

I don't know if I'd say the rabbids are funny but I'm enjoying the their effect on a Mario setting.

• Locked thread