Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, that all pretty much sums it up for me as well. I just really, really hope that Dems can come together in 2020 and put all this infighting behind us. Four years of Trump will be bad enough, but eight years...

I really don't think that Trump will last another four years. However he could be primaried and we could end up with another republican. Somehow I doubt it, but democrats are well known for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/904813776033251328

GIVE ME THAT SWEET, SWEET PISS

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

god please let them do it. throw him under the bus.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Ice Phisherman posted:

Private colleges can and will gently caress you up with disciplinary charges for things which normal people take for granted such as drinking or swearing or lying or premarital sex or being gay or an atheist. They can expel you and there is little you can do about it if you get on their poo poo list.

But there is plenty of leeway and defense if you're a favorite and act like you know it. Like a friend of the dean's family or the captain of the football team or high positioned facility as previously mentioned,there is lots of room for cronyism in LU types of schools.

You dumb motherfuckers actually think parts of this country believe media that isn't from Trump himself or won't instantly defend anything he's ever done? Go ahead, Vlad, try and tell King Retard what to do.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 5, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

piss tape is real

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Yessss

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Do the Piss Tape first, as a starter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Private colleges can and will gently caress you up with disciplinary charges for things which normal people take for granted such as drinking or swearing or lying or premarital sex or being gay or an atheist. They can expel you and there is little you can do about it if you get on their poo poo list.
Places like Liberty University and BYU have incredibly strict codes of conduct that can get you expelled for minor offenses. I'm not sure how well the general public understands this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koalas March posted:

piss tape is real

what

also the merkelraute is far too good for him

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

It's not piss tape you guys, they're just taking the piss.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ice Phisherman posted:

Earlier this week I listened to a podcast that posited that the term gamer has been poisoned as a culture because of these people. Also that it's not particularly relevant anymore because in terms of making money its surpassed the movie industry, and that there really isn't a term for someone who watches tons of movies for instance, or at least not some subculture. Tons of people play games, and if you include mobile games there are more women "gamers" than men and that the average gamer is forty. So the term gamer really isn't distinctive anymore like it was ten years ago to describe young, male nerdlings who played tons of quake or star craft, and gamer still applies to a small culture of young men. Gaming is too wide and too broad to be defined by any one culture anymore, and that the term gamer is largely irrelevant in terms of descriptiveness. Gaming has stopped being a subculture, and has simply become culture that contains subcultures.

That said, the traditional idea of gamers, young men whose lives revolve around the stuff, are absolutely lousy with MRA poo poo and incels and pickup artists and general racism, homophobia and misogyny. The reinforcement mechanism online is real and the culture of hate there is real. I have this feeling that at least initially there was this thrill with saying awful poo poo among peers that could earn you a punch in the mouth or at least ostracizing in real life, and that internet anonymity can function as the new Klan hood.

As someone that likes anime, gaming, and so on, I'm kinda stunned I somehow managed to avoid becoming such a person and instead are some sort of unicorn. My only real explanation was having during my teen years friends who were much older than me willing to use blunt methods to get me in shape during my worst online moments.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Office Pig posted:

It's not piss tape you guys, they're just taking the piss.

Have you read the last 300 posts?? Let us have something.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

GyroNinja posted:

Steve King was the guy who all but tweeted the 14 words, right?

Yes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

farraday posted:

Just in case you were afraid Sessions on DACA was the worst thing a cabinet member would do this week.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/904873475751514116

I think the Secretary of Education has an important role as a leader in the discussion on campus rape, however, I had hoped they wouldn't be on the "pro-" side.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

As someone that likes anime, gaming, and so on, I'm kinda stunned I somehow managed to avoid becoming such a person and instead are some sort of unicorn. My only real explanation was having during my teen years friends who were much older than me willing to use blunt methods to get me in shape during my worst online moments.

Mine was the fact I was terminally anti social. I can't get indoctrinated if I'm looking at everything with dead fish eyes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, that all pretty much sums it up for me as well. I just really, really hope that Dems can come together in 2020 and put all this infighting behind us. Four years of Trump will be bad enough, but eight years...

I'm not even very demanding in terms of candidates. I would settle for any candidates that don't run on making things even worse from a progressive perspective. That is, the candidate doesn't even have to propose anything super progressive, as long as their platform doesn't include some crap to try to appeal to moderate republicans. That is, no more running on being the real hawks, no more running on deregulating your pet sector of the economy, no more running on charter schools or making it worse for teachers, no more running on tax cuts as job creating measures.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

joepinetree posted:

That is, no more running on being the real hawks, no more running on deregulating your pet sector of the economy, no more running on charter schools or making it worse for teachers, no more running on tax cuts as job creating measures.

I don't know who the Dems will run in 2020 but I can guarantee you're not going to get all of the above in the candidate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Raenir Salazar posted:

Gamergate / MRA / whatnot scumbags aren't even remotely the majority of antisocial weirdo internet nerds, as evidenced for example by (most of) the Something Awful forums. :v:

They're just exceptionally visible and obnoxious.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I wouldn't be shocked if this was intended to have a reaction in the west more so than someone actually arguing for something in good faith. The perception that he is a Russian plant weakens him a lot, but not enough to get him kicked out ASAP, and if he were kicked out, the entire world (not just both sides reporters) would fall over themselves to give Pence or Ryan a huge BJ for not constantly making GBS threads over allied nations.

A weakened Trump is way better for Russia than an impeached Trump

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its so difficult to keep up with all the terrible people involved with the administration I completely forgot about Steve King

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

shrike82 posted:

I don't know who the Dems will run in 2020 but I can guarantee you're not going to get all of the above in the candidate.

Well, if the status quo is too progressive for the democratic candidate...

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm one of the older millennials and I avoided this largely because gaming was a subculture when I was growing up and nerd was just on the cusp of acceptance. I didn't know what PUA was until I was starting college and my brief flirtation with ironic racism was light and thankfully brief. However I was deeply connected to the internet, internet culture, gaming culture and anime growing up. When I was going through all of that gamers were full of toxic masculinity, sure, but because it was such a niche subculture and social justice warriors were unheard of there was nothing for them to really coalesce in opposition against. You were already an uncool outcast who played games and games were for kids and you're in your twenties, stop playing games.

I remember actually finding out about the early stuff that's become associated with MRA's back around 2003, but I didn't hear the term safe space and didn't glom onto the fact that Social Justice Warriors existed until around 2005, and when I joined SA in 2007 GBS was absolutely lousy with them.

I'd like to think that since I was raised correctly and lived with tons of different people from different countries while growing up that racism and misogyny were hard sells, but it's always possible that it could've happened in my case. If I were more angry than I was depressed I could've fallen into the incel community if it existed when I was in high school and college. It just didn't. The internet was just too niche back then. I do fear for young boys/men from several of the families I know. Their social interactions do revolve around games and they're awkward for having been home schooled. With the right hook I imagine that they could be drawn into a number of gateways into the existing MRA groups in a way that largely didn't exist for me growing up, and that the alt-right and MRA groups are actively courting young, intelligent, awkward men with middle class upbringings.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

mistaya posted:

I want a candidate who runs on free college. Because THAT will motivate the youth vote, and also the more educated Americans are the better. College-attending Americans are demonstrably smarter at the polls, not just re: Red or Blue but every other progressive issue becomes more popular. Climate deniers didn't go to secondary school.

When Bernie started bringing up free college he got me interested in politics again. I realize that I and my generation are completely hosed, and will likely not get any relief from the debt we took on egged on by our loving stupid boomer parents, but our kids deserve better.

Also yes, give me someone with charisma who legitimately cares about what he's saying. (Al Franken, America Needs You.)

Al will win because he's smart enough, good enough, and gosh darnit people like him!

If you've never watched this awesome booknotes clip from 2003 strap in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFJai_2YCNs

Raenir Salazar posted:

When I look back in wonder at not becoming a shithead myself, I have to admit it's at least in huge part because I had a high school teacher who (among other things) recorded this episode of booknotes on VHS and brought it in/played it to the class the day after. Do awesome poo poo and people will turn out semi-ok I guess (Also read Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them if you never have, it's old but still hilarious/poignant. Franken's new book is really good too.)

It might have happened a few distant centuries ago, but I feel like it's never a bad time to remind people the Bill O'Reilly sexualled harassed a lot of people, including an employee whom he referred to as "Hot Chocolate"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

It saves those 800k present people at the expense of untold millions in the future.

Like beyond not wanting to rescue the Republicans from a disaster purely of their own creation, it would severely limit the only thing that has been keeping the US population afloat and not contracting.

If you want to be really cynical I guess you could say it also constricts potential future (D) voters, but I don't think that's necessarily true at all. A lot of Latinx immigrants trend broadly conservative for instance, but immigration is about the only thing keeping them from voting (R) all the time.

Yeah, but the immigration laws can be loosened again at some point. You can't take back the immense human suffering that throwing 800k into camps will cause.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So apparently Amazon has a coin department and I was looking around when I found this:

They seriously can not make this man look good even when they're trying. No matter what they do he still looks like Biff from Back to the Future.

In this one it looks like he's two knuckles deep into his prostate exam.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 5, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/904899243906879488

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Its so difficult to keep up with all the terrible people involved with the administration I completely forgot about Steve King

He was one skill, and that is that being forgotten once you don't see him like The Silence aliens in Doctor Who.

He could say 'I think we should sterilize all minorities under the age of 10' and 5 seconds leaving the camera you would forget about him.

Rick Scott has the same skill.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gyges posted:

I could show a poll of Americans that show an overwhelming majority strongly favor Pizza Party Fridays. That doesn't then mean you can turn around and slam the unfathomable barbarity of a nation who wishes to impose pineapple and ham pizza on everyone.

I can and will. :colbert:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 5, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

A good post..

That was interesting, thanks for sharing. :)

Also if you are worried about those boys/young men, consider being a mentor/big brother kind of figure.

I watch my neighbors kids for them a lot and I'm doing that with the oldest daughter. Basically being the adult I've always wanted to have around when I was her age. She is also really into film and such so it was easy for us to bond. :)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

GyroNinja posted:

I truly with all my heart believe that King is a member of the KKK and every time I get into one of those "what would you do if you won the lottery" conversations I always say that the first thing I would do with a large pile of money is devote as much time and funding as necessary to removing him from office, which would probably involve finding whatever awful western Iowa hick who made his robes and paying him money for a picture of Grand Wizard Steve in front of a burning cross.

Either that or paying thousands of gay Latin men to all claim to have had a sweaty one night stand with ol' Steve-o. Maybe his quote about calves the size of cantaloupes was just him talking about his preferred type of man? Who could say?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

With that weather forecast gif from earlier, he's not wrong. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I fear for the future

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm one of the older millennials and I avoided this largely because gaming was a subculture when I was growing up and nerd was just on the cusp of acceptance. I didn't know what PUA was until I was starting college and my brief flirtation with ironic racism was light and thankfully brief. However I was deeply connected to the internet, internet culture, gaming culture and anime growing up. When I was going through all of that gamers were full of toxic masculinity, sure, but because it was such a niche subculture and social justice warriors were unheard of there was nothing for them to really coalesce in opposition against. You were already an uncool outcast who played games and games were for kids and you're in your twenties, stop playing games.

I remember actually finding out about the early stuff that's become associated with MRA's back around 2003, but I didn't hear the term safe space and didn't glom onto the fact that Social Justice Warriors existed until around 2005, and when I joined SA in 2007 GBS was absolutely lousy with them.

I'd like to think that since I was raised correctly and lived with tons of different people from different countries while growing up that racism and misogyny were hard sells, but it's always possible that it could've happened in my case. If I were more angry than I was depressed I could've fallen into the incel community if it existed when I was in high school and college. It just didn't. The internet was just too niche back then. I do fear for young boys/men from several of the families I know. Their social interactions do revolve around games and they're awkward for having been home schooled. With the right hook I imagine that they could be drawn into a number of gateways into the existing MRA groups in a way that largely didn't exist for me growing up, and that the alt-right and MRA groups are actively courting young, intelligent, awkward men with middle class upbringings.

:same: Also I was a theater geek in highschool, so even though I didn't have any game whatsoever at the time, I at least had a lot of female friends and tended to view them as, you know. Human beings, as opposed to evil harpies conspiring against me or whatever MRAs think.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I think this is where I give my remarks:

Party disagreements, or infightings, perfectly fine. That's how we all decide as democratically as possible what direction to move forward with. Everyone here needs to work just as hard there as the general election. Get your voice heard.

However, you loving crawl over broken glass, rusty razors, and Ted Cruz's latest shed skin if it's between you and your ballot in November. You loving slam your dick/vag/whatever onto every loving name with -D on it that isn't BernDog. You do it because that's what Republicans do and that's how they win. The primary bickering won't matter gently caress all if you let a republican win a seat.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Krispy Kareem posted:

So apparently Amazon has a coin department and I was looking around when I found this:

They seriously can not make this man look good even when they're trying. No matter what they do he still looks like Biff from Back to the Future.

In this one it looks like he's two knuckles deep into his prostate exam.

And his ear appears to be falling off

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

GyroNinja posted:

He's also the Congressman who had a Confederate flag on his desk when tens of thousands of Iowans fought and died for the Union.

gently caress Steve King

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lookin' forward to those Irma ratings. And he probably has Mar-a-lago insured for 3x its actual value.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

happyhippy posted:

He was one skill, and that is that being forgotten once you don't see him like The Silence aliens in Doctor Who.

The who what now?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Also while we're talking about scum of the earth that spawned in the western half of the state I call home, that guy who isn't a scientist who is being nominated for the top scientist in the Ag department is one of ours as well. Sam Clovis got beat by Joni Ernst in the 2014 Iowa Republican Primary for that open senate slot, and built his base (surprise surprise) by hosting a conservative talk show. Articles about him paint him as a pretty shrewd political calculator, and was at one point (prior to Mike Pence joining the ticket) Trump's "bible guy" (i think they had him do that after the whole "Two Corinthians" thing). He also looks like a caricature of an angry bigot and talks like one too. He hits all the shithead talking points: was a birther, questions climate science, compares gay people to pedophiles, regularly supports Steve King, he's just the worst.

I was talking to my grandma, who is conservative (but thankfully didn't pull the lever for Trump, I think she voted Gary Johnson and my grandpa just left the box for president blank, which is really as much as I could have hoped for from them) and she asked me if I had been following this guy's nomination process at all. She lives in western Iowa and he's a guy who's been around that area for a while. Friends of theirs who are dyed in the wool anti-abortion Catholic Republicans are big fans of him but the school he used to teach at (Morningside College) is keeping oddly quiet whenever people come by asking about his history there. I'm split on whether it's because he's an awful human being and they don't want to be connected to him or if he's said/done something terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

A Good Reference, although I'll always remember him for the "cantaloupe" quote.

• Locked thread