Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

Lookin' forward to those Irma ratings. And he probably has Mar-a-lago insured for 3x its actual value.

I hope he's insured for everything but flood but he'd just funnel federal funds in anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm one of the older millennials and I avoided this largely because gaming was a subculture when I was growing up and nerd was just on the cusp of acceptance. I didn't know what PUA was until I was starting college and my brief flirtation with ironic racism was light and thankfully brief. However I was deeply connected to the internet, internet culture, gaming culture and anime growing up. When I was going through all of that gamers were full of toxic masculinity, sure, but because it was such a niche subculture and social justice warriors were unheard of there was nothing for them to really coalesce in opposition against. You were already an uncool outcast who played games and games were for kids and you're in your twenties, stop playing games.

I remember actually finding out about the early stuff that's become associated with MRA's back around 2003, but I didn't hear the term safe space and didn't glom onto the fact that Social Justice Warriors existed until around 2005, and when I joined SA in 2007 GBS was absolutely lousy with them.

I'd like to think that since I was raised correctly and lived with tons of different people from different countries while growing up that racism and misogyny were hard sells, but it's always possible that it could've happened in my case. If I were more angry than I was depressed I could've fallen into the incel community if it existed when I was in high school and college. It just didn't. The internet was just too niche back then. I do fear for young boys/men from several of the families I know. Their social interactions do revolve around games and they're awkward for having been home schooled. With the right hook I imagine that they could be drawn into a number of gateways into the existing MRA groups in a way that largely didn't exist for me growing up, and that the alt-right and MRA groups are actively courting young, intelligent, awkward men with middle class upbringings.

I honestly wonder how similar the pulls of MRA and Alt-right in the west are to the things that draw people to ISIS and similar things in Muslim communities? It would probably be a very interesting sociological study. I guess ISIS would probably draw the same kind of people who in the US get drawn into all of those weird militias.

Also, I thank watching sports for keeping from falling into all of those weird toxic gaming communities. That plus I sucked at most games, so I would rather just discuss sports than talk about how it took me dozens of tries to beat first boss in a sonic game (this actually happened). Then again there is a ton of toxic poo poo in a lot of sports communities, so who knows?

I'll just thank having good parents and always looking up to my older sister as a role model. Probably a better answer

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 5, 2017

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Steve King went to college to avoid the draft then dropped out. Or he was scared of a black person on campus and fled.

Also claimed to be Latino once.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Earlier this week I listened to a podcast that posited that the term gamer has been poisoned as a culture because of these people. Also that it's not particularly relevant anymore because in terms of making money its surpassed the movie industry, and that there really isn't a term for someone who watches tons of movies for instance, or at least not some subculture. Tons of people play games, and if you include mobile games there are more women "gamers" than men and that the average gamer is forty. So the term gamer really isn't distinctive anymore like it was ten years ago to describe young, male nerdlings who played tons of quake or star craft, and gamer still applies to a small culture of young men. Gaming is too wide and too broad to be defined by any one culture anymore, and that the term gamer is largely irrelevant in terms of descriptiveness. Gaming has stopped being a subculture, and has simply become culture that contains subcultures.

I spent most of yesterday afternoon high while playing PUBG (poorly), while my wife looked at me sideways a couple of times over the top of her phone where she was playing some mobile block breaker game. Gaming hasn't been a sub-culture for a long rear end time. Not shockingly, gamergaters etc., are just a different strain of regressive rear end white dudes clinging to a past where they had the illusion of control.

With that said, I think I'm going to go smoke some weed & play some vidja games (poorly).

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He's also the Congressman who had a Confederate flag on his desk when tens of thousands of Iowans fought and died for the Union.

gently caress Steve King

You must live in some pretty strange space if this is the guy who represents you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8t22BuSGE&t=37s

If you can't watch a video this is worth transcription-

quote:

CNN: "A Muslim American, an Italian American, a Christian American, a Jewish American - you do realize they are all equal, right? That they are all the same thing. We don't need babies from one of those groups more than we need them from other groups. Do you agree with that?

King: Well I would say....

Astonished CNN: Why do you pause for that question?

King: :hitler::911::hitler:

gently caress Steve KKKing.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 5, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

I honestly wonder how similar the pulls of MRA and Alt-right in the west are to the things that draw people to ISIS and similar things in Muslim communities? It would probably be a very interesting sociological study. I guess ISIS would probably draw the same kind of people who in the US get drawn into all of those weird militias.

Exactly the same sort of recruitment techniques. Cults use em too.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

infrastructure week vol. 3

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Krispy Kareem posted:

So apparently Amazon has a coin department and I was looking around when I found this:

They seriously can not make this man look good even when they're trying. No matter what they do he still looks like Biff from Back to the Future.

In this one it looks like he's two knuckles deep into his prostate exam.

Trump looked ok when he was younger.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

"So we just build a floating Florida 2. Simple!"

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Koalas March posted:

That was interesting, thanks for sharing. :)

Also if you are worried about those boys/young men, consider being a mentor/big brother kind of figure.

I watch my neighbors kids for them a lot and I'm doing that with the oldest daughter. Basically being the adult I've always wanted to have around when I was her age. She is also really into film and such so it was easy for us to bond. :)

You're quite welcome. Effort posts keep me coming back, both making and reading them.

I'm really only around them at church and church is only once a week. I do talk to them and like to think I have a small but limited impact on them. After church I'm always invited to play some games with them and do, and so I play Smash Brothers with them for half an hour to an hour after church once a week. I recognize the culture as my own, but more refined. Anime, pokemon, gaming in general. I was them at that age. However talking to them is difficult. Despite having been them there's a gap there. One of the older ones, a young man really, does probably see me as a peer or mentor as we're both academics and he likes the nuance that I bring to conversations. However he's twenty-two. Also I have a strong feeling that he's gay, or at least bisexual, so I doubt he'd fall into the MRA group.

I've considered asking the pastor if I can put together a sort of presentation on MRA stuff that I could talk to the parents about. Parents are largely ignorant of their children's online interactions. Even when I was young my parents were. Now those subcultures are even harder to penetrate and understand while their kids have computers and tablets and smartphones in their bedrooms. Talking to children about strangers on the internet has been pushed in terms of safety for some years now, but there really hasn't been any development on what to do if your child is a racist shitposter on stormfront, or is absorbing keks at 4chan. I have a strange perch because again I've seen a number of those communities form from the ground up and so I know what the cultures there represent and the impact they have on impressionable children.

It reminds me of a funnel. The websites that cater to the gateway drugs of racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc are many and varied. The maw is huge, but at the bottom these people fit through the same small hole. They tend to end up as backwards, hateful, misogynistic, homophobic, racists to one degree or another, and it all starts as innocently as finding a chatroom or a message board that's dedicated to, "Why can't I get a girlfriend?" The central thesis being that these men deserve sex and that women are awful. Mainline that for a few months or years and hey, this cool guy is plugging a racist board. They hate women, I hate women, they can't get dates, I can't get dates, but they don't like black people. Lots of cherry picked articles and outright lies later they're like, "Yeah, black on black crime sure is bad. Someone ought to do something about those blacks".

That's just an example, but really the alt-right, incels, MRA's and white supremacists tend to socially mix with one another. There's no one entry point, but many, though they tend to be distilled from having one poisonous view to many. Part of me genuinely fears for when this current crop of shitheads grows up and seek positions of authority and leadership. I know some already do, but these people are poison, they're the only group tied directly to conservatism that's growing and they're going to infect an already sickly conservative movement with even more vile and toxic strains of thought.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

I hope he's insured for everything but flood but he'd just funnel federal funds in anyway

Screw Russia, there’s no way somebody with the last name Trump doesn’t try to skim a percent or two off the top of the tens of billions in disaster aid to Texas. There may be two or three degrees of separation to Daddy Trump, but how could that family resist? They couldn’t even go a month in office without illegally hawking Ivanka’s clothing line and a Trump shilled for Juicero for Pete’s sake. They’re always hustling.

If we want to impeach Trump and Russia doesn’t work out, just wait a year and follow the hurricane money trail.

[quote="“Ague Proof”" post="“476074509”"]
Trump looked ok when he was younger.
[/quote]

He always had that weird mouth and his hair has looked janky since the early 90’s. But yes, he did look better as a youth.

The thing is, there are a few photos where he looks maybe a little Presidential. But those are pretty few and far between.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 5, 2017

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Son of Son of Infrastructure Week: The Reckoning (2017) portrays Donald Trump as the President of the United States signing a federal law to fully legalize rape and human slavery.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Spite posted:

Steve King went to college to avoid the draft then dropped out. Or he was scared of a black person on campus and fled.

Also claimed to be Latino once.

a Latin king?

when is congress going to do something about gang violence?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

mrfreeze posted:

And while we are on the topic of charismatic, progressive politicians, we have this guy running for governor here in Michigan. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/24/next-obama-abdul-el-sayed-first-muslim-governor-michigan
He's just as badass as this article makes him out to be, and I'm desperately hoping he keeps up this momentum into 2018. God knows we have an uphill battle here.

Oh my god, I love him. This guy is amazing.

quote:

“I’m trying to remind people why the system is built the way it is, and that it has been corrupted by a very small, very powerful, very rich group of people, who have fundamentally bought out our politicians,” he said. “I don’t think our forefathers were imagining huge corporate behemoths that were not aligned to anything but a quarterly bottom line of some amorphous group of stockholders, who would then be ruled as having the rights of people, and then be able to either, up front of behind closed doors, buy out our politicians to create a system of politics that was not beholden to anything but corporate bottom lines.”

Can someone explain to me how anyone at 32 has the ability to run for governor? What is involved, behind the scenes to get to that point at 32?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
At some point Trump is going to do a Benghazi for real. He criticized Hillary for it, it's got to happen.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Can someone explain to me how anyone at 32 has the ability to run for governor? What is involved, behind the scenes to get to that point at 32?

Money and paperwork??

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I'm 5 years younger than that and I've barely been to any my local DSA meeting because I don't want to deal with an hour of traffic on Monday nights, and this dude is running for governor, and not just a joke campaign

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

However, you loving crawl over broken glass, rusty razors, and Ted Cruz's latest shed skin if it's between you and your ballot in November. You loving slam your dick/vag/whatever onto every loving name with -D on it that isn't BernDog. You do it because that's what Republicans do and that's how they win. The primary bickering won't matter gently caress all if you let a republican win a seat.

but if it just means only neoliberals can get into office we're hosed as a civilization.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ague Proof posted:

At some point Trump is going to do a Benghazi for real. He criticized Hillary for it, it's got to happen.

He already had a Benghazi in Yemen. Even ~the lib'rul fake news~ stopped talking about it after *less than a week*.

I believe the term you're looking for is "Reichstag Fire."

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

it's pretty simple lets just all vote for leftists and then leftists will win.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I would be a lot more impressed with him if he were 52 and had 20 years of legislative and/or exectutive experience behind him. Talk is easy when you've never actually had to govern or make serious decisions about stuff.

I hope he wins and serves out two terrific terms as governor. If he can walk the walk, I'll be a believer.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Money and paperwork??

I meant organization.

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm 5 years younger than that and I've barely been to any my local DSA meeting because I don't want to deal with an hour of traffic on Monday nights, and this dude is running for governor, and not just a joke campaign

He's a year older than me and I was thinking if I ever ran it'd take me a minimum of 5 years to get into the right situation.

Anyone have good resources on this sort of thing? I also know some great, charismatic, leftist as gently caress, veterans who want to run but don't know how.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Stairmaster posted:

but if it just means only neoliberals can get into office we're hosed as a civilization.

Presumably if leftists start showing up for the general they'll start showing up for primaries too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I meant organization.

He's a year older than me and I was thinking if I ever ran it'd take me a minimum of 5 years to get into the right situation.

Anyone have good resources on this sort of thing? I also know some great, charismatic, leftist as gently caress, veterans who want to run but don't know how.

New goon project: Lets put goons in the House

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I know this is all part of the ~prosperity gospel~ and everything, but WOW do I hope that for once there's a miraculous piercing in the veil of cognitive dissonance in this guy's ~following~ and they crucify him in his own loving megachurch: https://www.yahoo.com/news/joel-osteen-tells-harvey-survivors-035858727.html

“We’re not going to understand everything that happens, but having a ‘poor old me’ mentality or ‘look what I lost’ or ‘why did this happen,’ you know that’s just going to pull you down,” he said in his first sermon at his Lakewood Church since the storm.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

The forums have aged to the point where that's not entirely unfeasible.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
He also passed around the alter plate in his shelter once he had to be publicly shamed into doing

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I think this is where I give my remarks:

Party disagreements, or infightings, perfectly fine. That's how we all decide as democratically as possible what direction to move forward with. Everyone here needs to work just as hard there as the general election. Get your voice heard.

However, you loving crawl over broken glass, rusty razors, and Ted Cruz's latest shed skin if it's between you and your ballot in November. You loving slam your dick/vag/whatever onto every loving name with -D on it that isn't BernDog. You do it because that's what Republicans do and that's how they win. The primary bickering won't matter gently caress all if you let a republican win a seat.

I agree in most cases, but there are definitely some cases where this doesn't apply. For example, I live in California, and Dianne Feinstein is one of my Senators. I don't care for Feinstein's stances on a host of issues, and don't feel like she represents me (or California) very well. She also doesn't particularly need my vote, given how blue California is. So there's really no incentive for me to not vote third party or write in a candidate. This is all assuming she runs for reelection in 2018, of course.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deteriorata posted:

Every potential candidate is going to have shortcomings. You have to decide what you can live with.

"Thinking people like me aren't deserving of the same rights/specifically targeting us for extra bullshit" is a bit more than a "shortcoming". I mean, I really hope that's not what you were meaning to say, but that's definitely what it came off as.

Majorian posted:

You might be mixing Harris up with Gabbard, although it's possible I've just missed her transphobia up until now.

Harris, as California AG, tried to block trans inmates from getting surgery. Not only that, but her reasoning for it was classic transphobia: “There is no evidence that irreversible treatment is immediately necessary before this appeal can be heard and the factual record can be fully developed in a proceeding on remand.” All of that is the stuff Republicans spew, saying it's not necessary, talking about "facts", and emphasizing that it's "irreversible", as if trans people are making a huge mistake by transitioning.

She also tried to claim that allowing them to transition in prison would cause problems as to where to keep them and that the system isn't prepared for that, even though, when she made those claims, our prison already had a trans woman who transitioned in prison and was staying in a women's prison with no issues whatsoever. Harris, on the other hand, seems to want to keep trans women in men's prisons, even though that puts them in danger as well as disrespects who they are, which is really heinous on top of effectively saying trans inmates shouldn't be allowed to transition because it'd be inconvenient.

Really, the more I look into how she's handled all this the more I hate her. gently caress Kamala Harris. I really hope she doesn't win the nomination because I don't want to have to vote for someone who has been so thoroughly awful to trans people. Hell, I want her pilloried on this in the primaries so that when she runs again for Senate in 2022 she gets replaced by a better Dem here instead. (This being California, it'd definitely be a Dem vs Dem election. She was elected in one, after all. And I voted for her, which I now feel gross about, even though it didn't matter any way since she crushed Sanchez, who was even worse.)

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 38:2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? 38:3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. 38:4 Why are you boo-hooing like a dumb little baby?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

The forums have aged to the point where that's not entirely unfeasible.

I wasn't entirely unironic

2 years ago, I would have anyone's posting history here would be a disqualification, but in the age of Trump and altright fuckos, I guess it doesn't matter

In 15 years, there will be a kids book explaining politics called "Everyone Shitposts"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Harris, as California AG, tried to block trans inmates from getting surgery.

Yeah, I knew this at one point, but it just flat-out slipped my mind. She has to answer for this, if she wants to be considered an honest-to-goodness progressive.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Roland Jones posted:

"Thinking people like me aren't deserving of the same rights/specifically targeting us for extra bullshit" is a bit more than a "shortcoming". I mean, I really hope that's not what you were meaning to say, but that's definitely what it came off as.

Harris, as California AG, tried to block trans inmates from getting surgery. Not only that, but her reasoning for it was classic transphobia: “There is no evidence that irreversible treatment is immediately necessary before this appeal can be heard and the factual record can be fully developed in a proceeding on remand.” All of that is the stuff Republicans spew, saying it's not necessary, talking about "facts", and emphasizing that it's "irreversible", as if trans people are making a huge mistake by transitioning.

She also tried to claim that allowing them to transition in prison would cause problems as to where to keep them and that the system isn't prepared for that, even though, when she made those claims, our prison already had a trans woman who transitioned in prison and was staying in a women's prison with no issues whatsoever. Harris, on the other hand, seems to want to keep trans women in men's prisons, even though that puts them in danger as well as disrespects who they are, which is really heinous on top of effectively saying trans inmates shouldn't be allowed to transition because it'd be inconvenient.

Really, the more I look into how she's handled all this the more I hate her. gently caress Kamala Harris. I really hope she doesn't win the nomination because I don't want to have to vote for someone who has been so thoroughly awful to trans people. Hell, I want her pilloried on this in the primaries so that when she runs again for Senate in 2022 she gets replaced by a better Dem here instead. (This being California, it'd definitely be a Dem vs Dem election. She was elected in one, after all.)
Go run for office to be in position to primary her.

Its a jungle primary, you just have to get more votes than R senate candidate to make main ballot

Also, I've going through the history of French Revolution, and its crazy how many people were just randomass people who starting yelling about poo poo and got elected to run poo poo.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know this is all part of the ~prosperity gospel~ and everything, but WOW do I hope that for once there's a miraculous piercing in the veil of cognitive dissonance in this guy's ~following~ and they crucify him in his own loving megachurch: https://www.yahoo.com/news/joel-osteen-tells-harvey-survivors-035858727.html

“We’re not going to understand everything that happens, but having a ‘poor old me’ mentality or ‘look what I lost’ or ‘why did this happen,’ you know that’s just going to pull you down,” he said in his first sermon at his Lakewood Church since the storm.

The church, after finally opening its doors, also had a service where they passed around the collection plates!

https://www.vibe.com/2017/09/joel-osteen-collection-plate-hurricane-harvey-video/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm not seeing any great evil in that message, personally. It's one I tend to live by. I've had some pretty bad poo poo in my own life, but never got into the "Why me?" mentality. It was, instead, "Why not me?" - I'm not a special snowflake that gets to be exempted from crap in life. poo poo falls on everyone, and it was just my turn, nothing more.

I got busy dealing with it without dwelling on it. My life was suddenly different and I had to cope.

Whether or not that message was a good one or not would depend on the attitudes of his parishoners. If they found it inspiring and helped get them going at accepting reality and getting on with cleanup and rebuilding, then it was appropriate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Glumslinger posted:

Was that city council goon murdered by the local redneck mafia yet?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

KickerOfMice posted:

The church, after finally opening its doors, also had a service where they passed around the collection plates!

https://www.vibe.com/2017/09/joel-osteen-collection-plate-hurricane-harvey-video/

"Our rugs were dirtied *horribly* by all those muddy feet. THE LORD decreed to me that I should replace *all* of my carpeting, and that HE would provide...through YOU."

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not seeing any great evil in that message, personally. It's one I tend to live by. I've had some pretty bad poo poo in my own life, but never got into the "Why me?" mentality. It was, instead, "Why not me?" - I'm not a special snowflake that gets to be exempted from crap in life. poo poo falls on everyone, and it was just my turn, nothing more.

I got busy dealing with it without dwelling on it. My life was suddenly different and I had to cope.

Whether or not that message was a good one or not would depend on the attitudes of his parishoners. If they found it inspiring and helped get them going at accepting reality and getting on with cleanup and rebuilding, then it was appropriate.

They were not his parishoners. They were random people flooded out by the hurricane, and his church had to be publically shamed into opening its doors to them.

e- This church used to be a sports arena - the Compaq center, and its capacity is sixteen thousand people.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 5, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Glumslinger posted:

Its a jungle primary, you just have to get more votes than R senate candidate to make main ballot

Also, I've going through the history of French Revolution, and its crazy how many people were just randomass people who starting yelling about poo poo and got elected to run poo poo.

Heck, to some degree that applies to Napoleon Goddamn Bonaparte. A big part of what got him his pivotal promotion was a pro-revolution effortpost. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Camille Desmoulins is my favorite example of this.

• Locked thread