Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

MariusLecter posted:

:eng101: #1 Steven Crowder trivia fun fact: he got socked in the mouth by a union worker he was harassing.

Even my parents, who generally hold the view that violence is never justifiable and whoever starts the fight is always in the wrong regardless of context took one look at Crowder getting punched and were like "well, he had it coming..." He's possibly the world's most unlikeable human.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

"What are studies? I believe in SCIENCE!"

Yeah, the "rationals" are basically a scientific cargo cult. "Science" and "logic" are good, so these words are invoked when stating their position. They'll frequently say these back up their claims without actually ever showing their work. "Bias" and "emotional" are bad, and invoked when describing their opposition. Any opposition will he required to cite sources (sources are science. Science is good) and any cited sources will be dismissed as "biased." Explanation of this bias will not be given. It doesn't need one. Calling something biased is roughly equivalent to burning sage to rid your home of Negative Energy. Any relationship to real science or research is purely accidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone got a review of the Arkham games?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Wow, "fake news" for the pseudointellectuals

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

It's a good thing you cant die of an irony over dose, because, yikes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Chapo did a pretty good bit on Crowder and how pathetic he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKzSW6Um9cY

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
On the note of my last post,

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/904651933335597056

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Itay be my childish enjoyment of nerd rage, but Mysterious Mr Enter will never not amuse me with his explosions over dumb cartoons. He is so deadly serious over stuff like the Arthur punches D.W. episode that it's hysterical.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Linear Zoetrope posted:

"It's like you're going out of your way to believe in something"

Woah man, are you telling me that topics that involve a lot study and research need you to be willing to actually take those in and LEARN things?

And not be a huge dumbass who shuts down and reflexively vomits out some hollow meme when confronted with those things pointing to the contrary of my own beliefs?!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yardbomb posted:

huge dumbass who shuts down and reflexively vomits out some hollow meme when confronted with those things pointing to the contrary of my own beliefs?!

Hey, now, I've trademarked that. I'll DMCA you if you don't take it down!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Kim Justice just put out an HOUR AND A HALF documentary on Heroes of Wrestling, perhaps the worst Pro Wrestling PPV of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yBOisPxoBk

Even if you don't give a poo poo about wrestling you need to watch it purely due to the sheer amount of effort Kim puts into it. It still blows me away the insane amount of research and work Kim puts into her videos, it's madness.

Thank you. I'ma give you all the hard sell on this with something I wrote from elsewhere.

This is, of course, a very long video - it's nearly an hour and 40 minutes. Heroes of Wrestling is a show from October 1999, right at the heart of the Attitude Era boom, that sought to act like a champions' tour, if you will. A card stacked with legends from the past that people would remember, that would stoke fire to their nostalgia. People love this sort of thing in say, golf or baseball because hey -- they aren't the most intensive of sports, and a good golfer can usually play close to their top level well into their 50's or even 60's. This is usually not the case with wrestling...so what we have are a bunch of well beyond out of shape guys who get winded within the first minute of every match, most of whom are desperate for money, at least four of them who have or had a confirmed serious drug addiction. A 3-hour tape of Bumfights features more dignity on display than the Heroes of Wrestling show.

And that's before you get to the big problems -- a level of production that makes B-movies look good. A team of producers who knew so little about wrestling that they thought the blood in matches was actually fake. Past it primadonnas who still refuse to do the job because they're certain that Vince McMahon's going to call them tomorrow and they don't want to look weak. And of course, the saga of one Jake "The Snake" Roberts -- the man who goes to the arena, shuts himself in his locker room and, for whatever reason, gets quite royally tanked up on hard liquor and lord knows what else. And then he goes out to wrestle in the main event of the evening.

The Agony and the Ecstasy is a series that is usually reserved for something that takes a ridiculously long time -- the production cycle of something like Duke Nukem Forever, or a craze that lasted for years that drove people literally insane...it's rare for something that happened in a single night to be so utterly catastrophic that it would warrant an inclusion in these hallowed halls. But Heroes of Wrestling is assuredly that -- the undisputed worst Pay-Per-View event of them all. It is the Super Monkey Daibouken of supercards...and if such a horror interests you, then feel free to watch this documentary which hopefully tells as full and accurate a story as possible about the events of October 10th, 1999, a day that will forever live in infamy for us wrestling fans. I hope you enjoy it.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Hot on the heels of our debut episode, here’s Episode 2 of Song Crimes with Jimmyfranks and Cheapskate, in which Johnny Cash, the Beach Boys, and Sammy Hagar head to traffic court.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kim Justice posted:

Thank you. I'ma give you all the hard sell on this with something I wrote from elsewhere.

This is, of course, a very long video - it's nearly an hour and 40 minutes. Heroes of Wrestling is a show from October 1999, right at the heart of the Attitude Era boom, that sought to act like a champions' tour, if you will. A card stacked with legends from the past that people would remember, that would stoke fire to their nostalgia. People love this sort of thing in say, golf or baseball because hey -- they aren't the most intensive of sports, and a good golfer can usually play close to their top level well into their 50's or even 60's. This is usually not the case with wrestling...so what we have are a bunch of well beyond out of shape guys who get winded within the first minute of every match, most of whom are desperate for money, at least four of them who have or had a confirmed serious drug addiction. A 3-hour tape of Bumfights features more dignity on display than the Heroes of Wrestling show.

And that's before you get to the big problems -- a level of production that makes B-movies look good. A team of producers who knew so little about wrestling that they thought the blood in matches was actually fake. Past it primadonnas who still refuse to do the job because they're certain that Vince McMahon's going to call them tomorrow and they don't want to look weak. And of course, the saga of one Jake "The Snake" Roberts -- the man who goes to the arena, shuts himself in his locker room and, for whatever reason, gets quite royally tanked up on hard liquor and lord knows what else. And then he goes out to wrestle in the main event of the evening.

The Agony and the Ecstasy is a series that is usually reserved for something that takes a ridiculously long time -- the production cycle of something like Duke Nukem Forever, or a craze that lasted for years that drove people literally insane...it's rare for something that happened in a single night to be so utterly catastrophic that it would warrant an inclusion in these hallowed halls. But Heroes of Wrestling is assuredly that -- the undisputed worst Pay-Per-View event of them all. It is the Super Monkey Daibouken of supercards...and if such a horror interests you, then feel free to watch this documentary which hopefully tells as full and accurate a story as possible about the events of October 10th, 1999, a day that will forever live in infamy for us wrestling fans. I hope you enjoy it.

And yet Triplemanía XXIII somehow manages to be worse. At least HoW was supposed to be some fly by night cash in dreamed up by skeezy Vegas promoters for a quick buck. There's no excuses for XXIII, that Villanos match might actually be the worst match put on by a major promotion in the last decade. My local fed that broadcasts to local TV and YouTube has better production values and puts on a better show every week than Triplemanía XXIII and they literally film out of a national guard armory.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like Jim's new WB sucks video and all but him falling on the TB train of 'BECAUSE STATE LAWS MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO GIVE MONEY TO THE FAMILY THIS IS SLIMY AND FRAUD" about that cancer DLC for Shadow of War is kinda disappointing. Like, yea, gently caress you WB for not changing state laws I guess. Also him not understanding 'why' the DLC is not free...I kinda don't get why he had a little rant about them charging...for their charity project...

Like, he didn't melt down over Bungee doing the same for Harvey victims.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

sexpig by night posted:

I like Jim's new WB sucks video and all but him falling on the TB train of 'BECAUSE STATE LAWS MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO GIVE MONEY TO THE FAMILY THIS IS SLIMY AND FRAUD" about that cancer DLC for Shadow of War is kinda disappointing. Like, yea, gently caress you WB for not changing state laws I guess. Also him not understanding 'why' the DLC is not free...I kinda don't get why he had a little rant about them charging...for their charity project...

Like, he didn't melt down over Bungee doing the same for Harvey victims.

His point was that it's not impossible, WB just didn't want to bother signing the papers and jumping through the hoops to make it possible, and also notably not bothering in any other country outside of the US which is gonna be where a decent chunk of sales are coming from. Not offering to match sales as charity donations for those places pretty blatantly says that WB wants to make a profit off of a dead person's memory, which is skeevy as hell, and also they're charging $7 CAD which is questionable as well, like, why not $1 or $2? It's not even a playable character, most fighting games don't charge that much for new characters, so why is it so expensive to buy an NPC honouring the memory of one of the developers?

What I'm saying is it doesn't look much like charity when you're keeping more than you're donating.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's a lot more than 'sign some papers' involved in a lot of those cases because the money is going directly to the family by a third party that isn't something they personally are running.

Also they charge like 5 bucks because Steam takes a fairly moderate bite out of sales.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They could charity match. You know like a normal company that has issues with direct charitable donations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
WB are big boys, I'm sure they could have handled the ghastly amount of paperwork required that seems unreasonable to most.

Can't wait for the memorial Jim Sterling Boglin.

E: that sounds bad :(

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Itay be my childish enjoyment of nerd rage, but Mysterious Mr Enter will never not amuse me with his explosions over dumb cartoons. He is so deadly serious over stuff like the Arthur punches D.W. episode that it's hysterical.

I've watched too much of Mysterious Mr Enter, the dude just needs to chill out and get a better grip on how executives run television channels. He's made some wild claims on what happens at Cartoon Network behind the scenes that are grossly inaccurate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched one video of his and I don't think that's possible. He sounds very mentally Ill. Whining about cartoons might be his only outlet in life.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I watched one video of his and I don't think that's possible. He sounds very mentally Ill. Whining about cartoons might be his only outlet in life.

He is actually autistic so you're not that far off.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoubleCakes posted:

I've watched too much of Mysterious Mr Enter, the dude just needs to chill out and get a better grip on how executives run television channels. He's made some wild claims on what happens at Cartoon Network behind the scenes that are grossly inaccurate.

To be fair "make cartoon network conspiracy rants that usually involve the lady in charge activity trying to tank the network out of spite" is the current cartoon discussion hotness.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMFSJTwPoE4

Shows how mr enter has whipped his fans into a sexist frenzy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate Mr Enter now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mark Brown has a new Game Maker's Toolkit video out. This topic: how to make a good detective game.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
After watching that video, all I can do is sigh sadly and lament the state of the Internet. And I loving hate Teen Titans Go.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To be frank that attitude is way, way more prevalent than just Mr. Enter types, and even a few cartoon producers have poked at it. It was just after when you had a lot of people cheer on the Burbank fire because it was close to the CN offices you could see a lot of "more legitimate" (Read, John K fanboys/IMC-types but for cartoons that read Cartoon Research once in a while) instantly renounce on that stuff publicly after months of posting on how Gennedy Tartosky should just shoot up the TTG studios to get the good cartoons back rolling.

Heck, one of my favorite posts on stuff like that was when some Disney animator got a pilot going and on the back of her Meet The Artist vid there was a print of the Winnie The Pooh TheSimpsonsArt pic and that was enough for this weird conspiratorial post thread on how Disney was secretly letting bad artists just over identity politics and not because that pic was funny. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the Sonic Boom studio had to delete scripts and rendering of some scene where Amy is watching some pastel bean-faced and smile toothed cartoon and Knuckles calls her an unenlightened dumb strumpet for not watching Cartoons For Real Enlightened people like Not-Rick And Morty for idiots to post that clip on twitter over and over again.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 5, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I hate Mr Enter now.

Life comes at you fast.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

This video is almost great, but he has to always get SO hot and bothered by Her Story for some reason. Pick a better game, dude.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kunster posted:

Heck, one of my favorite posts on stuff like that was when some Disney animator got a pilot going and on the back of her Meet The Artist vid there was a print of the Winnie The Pooh TheSimpsonsArt pic and that was enough for this weird conspiratorial post thread on how Disney was secretly letting bad artists just over identity politics and not because that pic was funny.

It's kind of weird how much bullshit these days comes from dudes who think "there is a conspiracy to put bad things on" is more reasonable than "the people in power have different taste from me." Combined with "a thing can only be good if it fits this very narrow range of traits."

Like yeah I think there's a lot of bad stuff that gets popular, but I don't think it's a conspiracy, I just think a lot of people have lovely taste, and the internet makes it much easier than ever to find and support the stuff you like, so I just quietly bemoan others' tastes to myself and move on to the good stuff. Ironically, these guys seem to have wrapped their identities up in the media they consume, so they feel threatened by anything not-theirs. Almost like some kind of... politics issue... surrounding their... identity...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've heard that Spoony's financial situation is starting to get pretty dire. Word is that he might've lost his house.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

So I've heard that Spoony's financial situation is starting to get pretty dire. Word is that he might've lost his house.

Oh, poo poo. I hope he has some kind of safety net.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Kinda curious where you heard this? He was doing streaming just a few days ago that I saw.

I certainly hope this isn't true.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Spark That Bled posted:

After watching that video, all I can do is sigh sadly and lament the state of the Internet. And I loving hate Teen Titans Go.
I like it, but I also agree they run it way the hell too much. Still, it's a goddamn TV channel so let's keep things in perspective here.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

NikkolasKing posted:

Kinda curious where you heard this? He was doing streaming just a few days ago that I saw.

I certainly hope this isn't true.

Some miscellaneous comments on Twitter, plus this image from what looks to be Reddit:

It could just be rumors, though, and he might be doing okay. That being said, with how much his Patreon had dropped off, I have to wonder if he's still having issues. I assumed that he putting all of his Patreon money into savings and spending it when needed.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 5, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Not exactly the same as your typical Internet Critic video, but the latest Honest Trailers thing on Kong: Skull Island was co-written by and guest-starring the director, Jordan Vogt-Roberts.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It was nice of that guy to write an 8 point financial plan for Spoony like he's an actual accredited accountant instead of a random weirdo on the internet with no concept of boundaries

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Calaveron posted:

It was nice of that guy to write an 8 point financial plan for Spoony like he's an actual accredited accountant instead of a random weirdo on the internet with no concept of boundaries

Yeah I kinda narrowed my eyes at more than a little bit of that weird writeup.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Calaveron posted:

People get really weird about internet celebrities. There was a webcomic creator who went on a long hiatus, and fans actually dug up their father's obituary because they were looking for reasons why the comic would stop updating.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

As if people in this thread don't...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
NC's newest video is an editorial on... if credits suck now or not...

Yeah.

• Locked thread