Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh my god plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, just to be clear, what happened to the Getting Up LP?

It just kinda disappeared. I wanted to see this trainwreck through to the end, drat it!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, just to be clear, what happened to the Getting Up LP?

It just kinda disappeared. I wanted to see this trainwreck through to the end, drat it!

Gotta wait for woolie to get back. Also gotta get a new Xbox and get back to where they were since the pc version just died on them and took joy2key with it.

Edit: PC version required joy2key to work with a controller. That suddenly stopped working. Also other technical issues. Also also the work Xbox original died.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

It's not in the video, but they polled the chat and the chat wanted Dark Anor Londo. Paige couldn't bring herself to shoot Gwynevere so she attempted to literally throw poo poo at her and kept failing in the most amazing way.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rodyle posted:

oh my god plague
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42HNvl0e26I
This is amazing please do more of these Plague you beautiful bastard. :allears:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Tien is a character that should have stayed dead/irrelevant after Dragon Ball original because he was only ever really interesting as a villain. The second he turned face he lost anything and everything that drove him and he became a less interesting, slightly more competent Yamcha.

Krillin and Roshi are the only good humans in DB/Z/S

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Krillin and Roshi are the only good humans in DB/Z/S

Think again my man.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Satan is secretly Zeno's dad tho

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
DBZ Abridged really got me to like Tien. Team4Star obviously enjoy the character quite a bit more than Toriyama does and it shows.

That said that was a really enjoyable video from Plague. I'd love him a Super Eyepatch Wolf to just sit down and do a big DBZ series of vids on their thoughts about Super and everything else. I love Super Eyepatch Wolf but even speaking as an Irishman his voice does put me to sleep a little. The companionship of someone as dry and sharp as Plague would be a treat.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Tien is a character that should have stayed dead/irrelevant after Dragon Ball original

This but for Roshi

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dead Space 2: Reboif.

Matt yelping at jumpscares and scaring Pat is the best part of them playing any horror game.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I normally enjoy the Zaibatsu boys and their foibles but the podcast poo poo about Gurren Lagann this week is silly as hell. Simon is meant to be pronounced as Shee-mon because 下 (shimo) means "under/below" in Japanese and Kamina is a pun built from 上 (kami) which means "above/over." They're two sides of the same coin thematically. If you're gonna get indignant about fans and the official dub pronouncing it correctly then at least be right. :goonsay:

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Gattsu

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gatsoijne

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Not really remotely the same thing

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hmmm

Maybe it WAS Rickert?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

I normally enjoy the Zaibatsu boys and their foibles but the podcast poo poo about Gurren Lagann this week is silly as hell. Simon is meant to be pronounced as Shee-mon because 下 (shimo) means "under/below" in Japanese and Kamina is a pun built from 上 (kami) which means "above/over." They're two sides of the same coin thematically. If you're gonna get indignant about fans and the official dub pronouncing it correctly then at least be right. :goonsay:

I didn't know that, that's super cool.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rodyle posted:

Hmmm

Maybe it WAS Rickert?
I just remembered that segment of the podcast and everyone screamed RICKEEEEEEERT~ :allears:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Does Japanese even have a phoneme that works as "see" like the si in Simon? Because sure, it's a play on words, but it's also just how they'd pronounce Simon in the first place if not. Also Shimon sounds weird and the pun only works in Japanese so the SBF are correct.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pat still can't pronounce Char after like 2 years, suddenly an expert on pronouncing names

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I Love Annie May posted:

This but for Roshi

Wrong, Master Roshi is like one of a handful of actually decent parental figures the franchise has and Goku's relationship and love for him one of the few things the writers actually let Goku feel human. Like Master Roshi's big episode recently where he totally expects to loving die from pushing too hard and Goku's stuck and Krillin is already out of the fight so they can't help and just have to listen to their adoptive father pass on his final lesson. You got to see Goku have an emotion that wasn't him flip flopping between "Happy to be fighting" and "Serious fighting." which makes sense. The whole episode was a love letter to Dragon Ball OG, back when Goku was slightly more interesting a protagonist and Goofy techniques were stronger than just being tougher than your opponent. Super is leaning heavily on that last part, which is pretty great.

This is less of a problem in the Dub since they do a hell of a lot to help normalize all the cast through dialogue (See Vegeta threatening Jaco with 'Hey Jackass. You better not try any funny business with my wife!' or sarcastically calling Bulma 'babe') but Goku's even less fleshed out/multi-faceted in the Japanses version. Cutting out one of his few humanizing relationships seems like a real fuckin bad idea.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 5, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

On people insisting on weird pronunciations in english that only actually work in japanese, much like the tiny grandma voice for japanese Goku, I know why it's there but I still think it's dumb to want to carry over.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If it doesn't work in a particular language, just drop it. Or come up with your own pun names? Languages are different, and having regional variations is perfectly legit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If it doesn't work in a particular language, just drop it. Or come up with your own pun names? Languages are different, and having regional variations is perfectly legit.

Nah see localization is evil because it's not what it is in the original, even if keeping the original fails to convey the meaning.

Aside: I watched the Plague Tien cry video.

Plague is the worst kind of Goku fan. He insists on calling the Hyperbolic Time Chamber by its much worse, but technically original name of 'The Room of Spirit and Time.'

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

wikipedia posted:

Geese Howard (ギース・ハワード Gīsu Hawādo) is a fictional video game character appearing in SNK's Fatal Fury fighting games series. Debuting in Fatal Fury: King of Fighters, Geese is the local crime boss of the fictional city of South Town. Geese hosts a fighting tournament named "The King of Fighters", in which he faces the brothers Terry and Andy Bogard who want to take revenge for their father's death. After several tournaments in the Fatal Fury series, Geese is killed by Terry, but he appears in following games without storyline as a "ghost" named Nightmare Geese (ナイトメア・ギース Naitomea Gīsu).

Naitomea Gisu!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

Does Japanese even have a phoneme that works as "see" like the si in Simon? Because sure, it's a play on words, but it's also just how they'd pronounce Simon in the first place if not. Also Shimon sounds weird and the pun only works in Japanese so the SBF are correct.

No, their pronunciation for those sounds is "shi" which is why it's pronounced that way. Gurren-Lagann is a show with a ton of weird rear end names that are meant to be strange and exotic. No one has a name in kanji afair sans like the Tengen Toppa itself.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 5, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress

I got confused what thread I was in because over in the toku thread we're literally having a super similar conversation about translation

I meant for this to go here

Burkion posted:

Attack names, generally, you leave be.

King Of Kai Fist is nowhere near as cool as KAOIKEN even if Kaoiken is literal nonsense in English.

Turtle Destruction Wave might be great to have translated though. Imagine a very different 90s, where a bunch of edge lord teens were shouting with utmost seriousness "SUPER TURTLE DESTRUCTION WAVE!"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Of course Woolie thinks Demon Vincent is the best ending

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Baal posted:

No, their pronunciation for those sounds is "shi" which is why it's pronounced that way. Currently-Lagann is a show with a ton of weird rear end names that are meant to be strange and exotic. No one has a name in kanji afair sans like the Tengen Toppa itself.

Yeah i always thought the setting gave them greater license to have punny names. Like they have weird grape hippos why not weird names?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fun fact: Simon's name itself derives from the Japanese word "Shimo" which can mean bottom, under, or any variation of the lowest point in a location. It's blatantly obvious to Japanese speakers why his name is pronounced the way it is, but to most English speaking countries it just comes off as them mispronouncing it.

Also my original phone post autocorrected Gurren to currently go figure

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I am all for old master and father figure Roshi rounding out the cast in an important way and bringing back that original Dragon Ball spark. I just wish they left the early anime perv shtick at the door instead of making it twice as bad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Of course Woolie thinks Demon Vincent is the best ending

If there's one thing that LP taught me about Woolie is that he's a really brain broken nerd about love and romance so of course the ending that says "No it's okay to never mature or change or grow along side your love or friends, you can stay exactly as you are and get rewarded for doing nothing." is the one he likes most.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Burkion posted:

gently caress

I got confused what thread I was in because over in the toku thread we're literally having a super similar conversation about translation

I meant for this to go here

I still have no idea why the original dub went with "special beam cannon" over mankankosopo. Hell they should have just went with the literal translation of "demonic piercing light murder gun." Aka the best attack name ever.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Baron Snow posted:

Naitomea Gisu!

Tetsuya Naitomea Gisu is the crossover I now have a NEED for.

Tranquilo Storm.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Monaghan posted:

I still have no idea why the original dub went with "special beam cannon" over mankankosopo. Hell they should have just went with the literal translation of "demonic piercing light murder gun." Aka the best attack name ever.

Japanese is cool simply for their ability to fit an incredible amount of adjectives onto their words.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

FauxGateau posted:

Japanese is cool simply for their ability to fit an incredible amount of adjectives onto their words.

Agreed; Japanese can fit a lot of meaning into a short phrase, partly thanks to kanji, and that's radical.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Stupid Asian countries had to use stupid ideograms on their stupid syllabic alphabets (or in Korea's case a weird not-really-ideogram-but-symbol-based-but-also-has-ideograms alphabet), I can't be bothered learning that poo poo but I feel like Japanese and Portuguese have similar phonemes plus the structure isn't that hard to learn so with the amount of Japanese poo poo I've followed since I was a kid I could be pretty mediocre at it by now. They drop subjects all the time which is a very Romance thing to do too.

look i like languages okay i'm just too lazy to learn them is all

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Special Beam Cannon rolls off the tongue and sounds absolutely badass, it's a good change.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

If there's one thing that LP taught me about Woolie is that he's a really brain broken nerd about love and romance so of course the ending that says "No it's okay to never mature or change or grow along side your love or friends, you can stay exactly as you are and get rewarded for doing nothing." is the one he likes most.

I'm really curious at what Woolie's relationship with his girlfriend is like if he believes all this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, Demon Vincent is the best ending because you become The Dark Lord after deposing your father-in-law and have a nice relationship with a succubus. I don't see the issue here.

Legit tho, the way Catherine starts, the game tries VERY hard to make Katherine as unlikeable as possible from your initial perspective. Of course, then you realize Vincent has commitment issues and Kate is a lot more patient than she seems, plus you DID fuckup real bad by sleeping around, but the knee-jerk reaction is "goddamnit stop pressuring me into poo poo" because you weren't there for the first 5 or however many years together they've had. The Cathy true ending is more "fun" too because it goes batshit insane. Kate ending is the better one, thematically, since it means Vincent has matured and all that poo poo.

Actually, y'know what, considering Vincent's character the best ending is the true freedom one where he realizes he doesn't want a relationship and decides to become an astronaut. No shame in that if you're honest about it.