Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hey, that was actually Goosebumps-standard grade scary! Good work, book. Wolf tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
TUNNEL OF WOLVES.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I was promised wolves and this tunnel better deliver

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
The Tunnel Of Wolves sounds like it should have been an attraction at the Carnival of Horrors. Or possibly a lovely band name?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You have entered the Tunnel of the Wolves.

Now you hear a bone-chilling HOW-OW-OW-OWL!

Again. HOW-OW-OW-OWL! Only this time it isn't exactly bone-chilling. It sounds more like chalk screeching on a blackboard.

"I don't think that's a werewolf howl," you say aloud. Then you see a very surprising sight.

It's Todd! He looks awful. His hair is covered in slime dropped by the slugs on the cave's ceiling. His geeky face is completely white, and his mouth is wide open in a howling O-shape.

"Todd!" you shout, startling him out of his howling. "Are you totally nuts, or what? What are you doing?"

"I'm making the werewolves think I'm one of them," Todd answers in a terrified and shaky voice. "I heard them running! I didn't know what to do, so I started howling."

"I don't believe it," you say. "Todd, you are - "

Then you hear the werewolves, too. They're running. But which way? Toward you or away from you?

This drops us off at the choice between howling back at the wolves and jumping the pit. Still, if you wanted to know where Todd came up with the idea of howling at them, or why he was described as being covered in slug slime at one point, now you have your answer.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Dropped Todd down a bottomless pit.
Gave the book the chance to pull some "all just a dream" bullshit on us.
Turned into a paper lantern because we failed a literature quiz.
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.
Gyzacck!
Ambushed by a werewolf masquerading as a doctor.
Got another loving "all just a dream" ending.
Ate the wrong magic cereal and turned into a fish.
Wasted our super-smarts on catching a dog.
Woke up from another goddamn dream, except Todd's a werewolf now.
Knocked ourselves and Todd out and woke up as werewolves.
Eaten by the Deep Woods Lake monster.

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.
Gyzacck: Gyzacck? Gyzacck.
Gainax Ending: Received a grave warning from intelligent fire ants who can communicate in ASL because they ate magic cereal.
Gobstopper: Defeated an army of werewolves with a handful of candy.
gently caress This Book: Found every possible "dream" ending Werewolf Woods had to offer.
Your Problem Now: Solved our problems by making someone else deal with the magic cereal troll.

Our options posted:

• Howl at the werewolves.
  • Fly up to the werewolves.
  • Run for the woods.
  • Break the wall down.
  • Check on Lauren alone.
  • Go for help.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The funniest option right now seems to be flying up to the werewolves.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

poisonpill posted:

The funniest option right now seems to be flying up to the werewolves.

I believe we can fly.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I believe we can touch the sky

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Who wants to bet that the other goal ending is nowhere near the werewolf paths?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Who wants to bet that the other goal ending is nowhere near the werewolf paths?

Either that or it comes suddenly and unexpectedly from a stupid choice. "You howl back at the werewolves. Being fairly stupid animals (because they haven't eaten any magic cereal), they assume this means you're one of them and they invite you to all the cool werewolf parties. You go to all the parties and have fun forever and at one of them a werewolf says "Oh by the way, you may want this" and hands you the box or whatever the goal was. As for your old boring life, this is THE END."

Edit: Fly up.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
let's actually get some use out of this dinosaur

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Go up!" you command.

"I think I'm going to," Todd says in a queasy voice.

"I said go up, not throw up!" you yell.

The pterodactyl instantly points its head upward and flaps its wings hard. Up, up, up you rise. You soar through the darkness at speeds you never thought possible.

"Wow!" Todd exclaims. "This thing really moves!"

He's right. In fact, as you look up you realize the pterodactyl has moved so fast you're almost at the mouth of the Bottomless Pit. And you're also almost at the mouths of a pack of very hungry werewolves.

Their fang-filled mouths are watering!

quote:

HOW-OW-OW-OW-OWL! You hear the werewolves howl in the not-too-distant distance.

"Ohhhh!" Todd moans, as the pterodactyl flies up and out of the pit. The flying reptile tips sideways. It drops you and Todd on the ground right by the werewolves.

You land right in front of the werewolves' feet. The wolves are pacing and circling. Some are on all four legs. Some are standing upright on two hind legs. Their growls and howls bounce off the walls of the cave and hit your ears like a pair of cymbals clashing.

Whew! What an odor these wolves give off! You have never smelled anything so bad in your life!

A hand on your shoulder causes you to spin around. You are face to face with... and you really can't believe this...!

quote:

You rub your eyes to make sure you're not seeing things that aren't really there. But you're not. What you think you see really is there. And what a shock - all three Murphy brothers, right here, inside the cave!

"Well, that explains the smell in here!" you whisper to Todd. "It isn't the werewolves. It's the Murphys who smell!"

You see the Murphys, but they don't see you. They're too busy defending themselves from the werewolves. Jess is holding a rock and is ready to heave it if the werewolves come too close.

Suddenly one wolf leaps forward. It pushes all three Murphy brothers into the center of the pack of werewolves.

You've never seen the Murphys look so scared. They don't look like bullies now. Now they look like regular kids. Regular terrified kids, that is.

For a second you think, Well, it serves them right! They're the ones who got us into this mess. But in the next second you feel kind of sorry for them.

Decisions, decisions. What will you do? Try to help the Murphys, or let the werewolves have them?

Lend a helping hand on PAGE 84.

Throw the Murphys to the wolves on PAGE 87.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.
Gyzacck!

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.
Gainax Ending: Received a grave warning from intelligent fire ants who can communicate in ASL because they ate magic cereal.
gently caress This Book: Found every possible "dream" ending Werewolf Woods had to offer.
Your Problem Now: Solved our problems by making someone else deal with the magic cereal troll.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Those kids are dog meat.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

We've already murdered one kid, what's three more?

Leave 'em.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
I demand that we pursue every option that involves leaving children to die.

They'll probably be fine if we leave.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Bye, Murphys!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Throw them to the wolves.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Sorry, Sharky," you say.

"You have to help us," Sharky calls out, when he spots you and Todd. "We didn't mean any harm."

Now the werewolves see you. You have to think fast.

"Tell me where the box is, and I'll save all of you," you shout above the growls and snarls.

"The werewolves have it!" Buck Murphy cries out. "That's why we came in here!"

"Yeah, we were trying to get it back for your friend, or whatever he is," Jess explains.

You watch in horror as the werewolves lick their chops. Rows of sharpened fangs glisten in the glow of the werewolves' red eyes. They are ready for the Murphy feast.

"Please," Sharky begs. "Help us. Please!"

quote:

Then you see the thing that started this trouble - the red tin box. Buck was telling the truth. The werewolves do have the box.

"Todd, look!" you cry out. You point to the box resting at the feet of the fiercest werewolf.

"My pewter collection!" Todd exclaims when he sees the box. He forgets for the moment that danger is only inches away. The werewolves' tongues hang out between pointed oversized teeth. The smell of their hot breath makes you feel sick.

The pterodactyl from the Bottomless Pit swoops past you. The flapping of its wings sends dust and dirt flying up from the ground. The werewolves tuck their faces under their fur-covered arms, trying to keep the clouds of dirt out of their red eyes.

While the werewolves' heads are buried in their arms, you and Todd crawl between their harry legs. You grab the red tin box. Then you sprint to a corner, out of the wolves' immediate sight.

"Got it!" you cry, clutching the box to your chest.

quote:

You throw open the red tin box and look at the pewter figure collection for the first time.

"Awesome!" you cry when you see the treasure. Inside the box are the most finely crafted, beautifully jeweled pewter figurines you've ever seen. "Yes," you say to Todd. "It was definitely worth the trouble."

Each figure is in its own velvet-lined compartment. You can't resist taking out the pewter dragon with the emerald eyes.

"Incredible," you whisper. You turn the figure around in your hand and study the details. You return the dragon to its compartment. One by one, you take out each figure and study it. There's a prince waving a crystal-bladed sword in the air, a ruby-studded castle, a diamond-eyed skeleton in a hooded cloak, and a magic sorceress holding a fiery crystal sun high above her head.

"They're all safe!" Todd exclaims with relief. He helps you put them back and closes the box.

"But we're not safe!" you say.

quote:

The werewolves have all lowered their arms and turned at once. They're licking their bloodthirsty lips. Their eyes glow like flaming torches.

One of the hairy beasts grabs Todd and breathes hot, stinking wolf breath in his face.

"No, please!" cries Todd. You can see tears gush from his wide eyes. "You can have the collection!" he tries to bargain.

The werewolf snarls and bares pointed fangs. Its mouth opens wide enough to take Todd's whole head in one bite.

"HOW-OW-OW-OWL!" you howl. You try to draw the werewolf's attention away from Todd. It works! In fact the whole pack of werewolves turns away from the Murphys and Todd. All werewolf eyes are on you!

But you're ready for them.

In one swift motion you open the box and hold up the pewter sorceress. Their red eyes reflect off the crystal sun in the sorceress's hands. A blinding light is thrown back into the wolves' eyes. The wolves step backwards. They try to escape the reflecting light rays. Can they?

quote:

It's no use. The werewolves cannot fight the sorceress's crystal light. One by one, with a HOWL as empty and hopeless as the Bottomless Pit itself, each werewolf loses its balance. They all fall backwards into the endless nothing that is the Pit.

Falling, falling, falling forever. Their howls rise to the open mouth of the Pit, filling the cave and the deep, dark woods surrounding WoodsWorld.

The Murphys throw themselves at you with heartfelt thanks for saving their lives. "We'll always remember you for this," Sharky says. "You too, Ner... I mean... hey, what is your name anyway?"

"This is my good friend, Todd Morris," you say. You put your arm around Todd's shoulder. You and Todd take the red tin box and lead the way out of the cave.

Nothing can frighten you or Todd now. Not the Murphys. Not the werewolves. You have faced every possible fear and conquered them all. For you both this should be a very happy

END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

:siren:Goal Endings: 2/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!

Achievements

And with that, we never have to return to WoodsWorld and its bevy of cereal-related dangers ever again.

Next time, we learn that despite what video games have taught us, eating random foodstuffs we found in a basement is a bad idea.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Freedom, at last freedom!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

GIVE YOURSELF GOOSEBUMPS #06: BEWARE OF THE PURPLE PEANUT BUTTER

quote:

You can't believe your parents did this to you!

Your mom and dad are off to Europe on a business trip. So you have to spend the summer in Fiskeville with Aunt Fiona and Uncle Harvey. Which means spending the summer with your cousins Barney and Dora.

Which means a summer of torture.

Barney is a year older than you, and a bully. Dora is a year younger, and a whiny pest. Not what you had in mind for your summer vacation.

You stare glumly out the car window as your aunt and uncle drive home from the airport. Aunt Fiona turns around in the front seat and beams at you. "Barney and Dora can't wait till we bring you home," she squeals.

I'll bet, you think. Bad-News Barney can't wait to pound me into the ground. Dora the Drag can't wait to rope me into playing with her dolls.

Uncle Harvey pulls the car into a driveway. You stare at the house. It's two stories high and rundown. The lawn is choked with weeds. The front steps are cracked and crumbling. Not very promising.

At least the creepy cousins aren't around, you think. Maybe you can sneak off before they know you're here.

Then a loud bang makes you nearly jump out of your skin!

quote:

Barney runs out the front door, letting it slam behind him. You slowly step out of the car. Barney's pudgy face breaks into a mean grin under his thick blond hair. Even though he's only a year older than you, he's twice your size. While your aunt and uncle unload the car, he punches you on the arm, hard.

"Hi, wimp," he snarls.

Dora skips around the side of the house, holding her obnoxious orange cat, Puff. Dora's dark hair hangs in two long braids over her shoulders. She eyes you with a smirk, then giggles. Puff hisses at you.

What a summer! you think. Maybe you can spend your entire vacation upstairs in your room.

But no. "We've been waiting for you," Barney says. "Let's play hide-and-seek."

Oh, no, you think. It's starting.

"It's nice to see you're already having fun," Aunt Fiona gushes. "Your uncle and I have to go back to work at the university. I'll take your suitcase upstairs for you.

"No, really - " you protest. "I don't mind - "

"Nonsense," Uncle Harvey responds. "You kids go on and play. There's just one thing. It's very important. You can play anywhere you want, but don't go in the basement."

quote:

"Why can't we go in the basement?" you ask.

"We haven't cleaned it out since we moved in," Aunt Fiona tells you. "The people who owned the house before us were very strange. We don't know what's down there. It could be dangerous."

"Let's get started!" Barney commands when his parents have gone inside. "You remember the hide-and-seek rules?"

"I remember." You sigh. Who could forget?

"Whoever is It gets to pound anyone he catches," Barney reminds you.

"Fine," you say. "I'll go first."

"Sorry," Barney replies. "It's my house. I'll be It to start. Now go hide while I count to a hundred." He laughs as he waves his fist in your face. Then he shuts his eyes.

quote:

"One," Barney counts. "Two, three, four, twenty-seven, twenty-eight, fifty..."

As usual, your cousin is cheating. You'll have to find a place to hide, fast.

But where? Dora drops Puff and runs around to the back of the house. You want to stay as far away from her as possible. You glance around, then tiptoe into the house.

You find yourself in a small living room crowded with furniture. You don't have much time. Where can you hide?

You dodge around a couple of chairs. Then you head for a hallway that leads to the kitchen.

"Seventy!" Barney shouts from outside. "Eighty-one! Eighty-six!"

You spot a doorway to the right of the refrigerator. You pull the door open. Steep, splintery steps lead down into a dark, musty-smelling room. It must be the way to the basement.

But your aunt and uncle warned you to stay out of it.

"Ninety-three!" Barney shouts.

Quick! Make a decision. Should you forget about your aunt and uncle's warning and hide in the basement? Or find somewhere else to hide?

To creep down to the basement, turn to PAGE 71.

Or find another hiding place on PAGE 47.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Let's get this extremely 90's kids adventure going and head into the basement

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
There's no way we don't get shrunk and chased around by that cat at some point in this book.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I say we listen to the wisdom of the Ramones, and instead of going to the basement hide somewhere else.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Holy poo poo, murder really was the answer to escape from that hell.

Anyway, let's go to the basement.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Let's Play Give Yourself Goosebumps - Spite Really is the Answer

on that note, let's not go into the basement

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...KnltdEfyHiL6Ycg

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
You've got some Google cruft on that URL. Here, let me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9nCojUzuOo

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

quote:

"Yeah, we were trying to get it back for your friend, or whatever he is," Jess explains.

Todd/protagonist ship confirmed at the final hour.

Let's go into the basement. This book seems better already!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Don’t go into the basement.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Lets not go in the basement so we can see how the book railroads us down there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
thank god we're free

Now get in that basement

full disclosure: I had this one as a kid but I remember nothing about it

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

The evil has been defeated!

Now let's go spelunking! Or whatever the term for exploring a basement is.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Are you serious?

Are you really so wimpy you won't go into the basement?

Just because your aunt and uncle told you to stay out of it?

Just because it might be dangerous?

Get real!

quote:

You glance around quickly to make sure no one is watching. Then you push open the basement door and start down.

The stairs are old. They creak with every step you take. Cobwebs brush your face.

What could be down here that's so dangerous? you wonder.

You reach the bottom of the stairs. The floor is so dusty it looks as if it hasn't been cleaned in a hundred years.

Feeble daylight filters through a big, filthy window at the back of the room.

You start to explore.

But there's nothing much to see. Mostly old, dusty, worn furniture. Old couches, old chairs, an old mattress. An old refrigerator and stove, both covered with rust, sit in one corner.

Nothing dangerous. Nothing even interesting. But being down here is better than getting pounded by Barney.

You sit in one of the old armchairs and wait. Sooner or later Barney and Dora will get tired of their game. Soon it will be safe to go back upstairs.

There's only one problem.

A big problem.

quote:

Your problem is that you're hungry.

The plane ride to Fiskeville was a long one. All you had to eat was an airline snack of peanuts and a soda. And now you realize that you're starving.

Your stomach is growling so loudly you're almost afraid Barney and Dora will hear it.

You glance around the basement again. Maybe there are some cans of food.

But no. The only shelves contain old carpenter's tools. The only cabinets are full of torn and dirty sheets and towels.

You really don't want to go back upstairs. Not yet. Not with Barney the Bully and Drippy Dora waiting for you.

What about the old refrigerator? You see that it's plugged in. Maybe there's something to eat inside.

Trying not to get your hopes up to high, you approach the refrigerator. The door seems stuck. But you pull it hard and it pops open.

You spot two containers way in the back. You bend down to inspect them. And gasp!

quote:

Something in the refrigerator smells great! It smells so good, your mouth starts watering.

You were hungry before, but now you're ravenous.

Whatever is giving off the smell must be the best-tasting food in the world!

You pull out the two containers and examine them. One is a small jar. At the bottom of the jar is a glop of disgusting-looking purple goop. The other container is a white bakery box with a label that says EFFY'S BAKERY, MIDVALE in fancy writing.

Inside the box is a thick slab of chocolate cake.

You lean down and sniff. To your surprise, the delicious aroma is coming from the purple goop. It smells like a combination of the best peanut butter and jelly in the world, with chocolate on top.

The cake doesn't have any smell at all.

Your stomach growls again.

Which will you eat? The wonderful-smelling purple goop or the chocolate cake?

If you taste the purple goop, turn to PAGE 17.

If you try the cake, go on to PAGE 111.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 11, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Let's at least eat the thing that actually looks like food- the cake

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

(What, no Smart-Os?)

Isn't this around the time that they tried to kiddify tomato sauce by making it in multiple colours like green and purple?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

This book is trying to railroad us but we will fight it every step of the way. Eat cake.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

CaptainCaveman posted:

This book is trying to railroad us but we will fight it every step of the way. Eat cake.

let us eat cake

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm beginning to get that if the first choice isn't a route split it's a fake choice that then leads to the route split

let's follow this book's advice and avoid the purple peanut butter

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I want a slice of that delicious scent-free scentless cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i'm not sure if i would ever be hungry enough to eat some gnarly spoiled peanut butter that i found in a basement

eat the cake, i guess