Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just had an awful war against Austria where they walked back and forth and sieged down my crap while I desperately tried to chase them around with my superior army (although I suspect my cavalry had brought giant snails instead of horses and my artillerymen thought they had self-propelled cannons). The AI really enjoys to mash the instant +3 broken walls button. And I do too.

BigglesSWE posted:

Probably led by Donaldo Trumpo, popular with the peasantry, but woefully inadequate at everything ever.
Hahaha. Ha ha... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

Um, it says they have admin tech 4, diplo tech 7 and mil tech 8. Also the tooltip states they have not unlocked any ideas at all, as in they don't have a single idea in any group. None at all. No idea groups and no ideas. All they have is their base traditions they started the game with. That's where it tells you if they have Exploration (2) or whatever which is what the game displays if they have unlocked exploration ideas and put two ideas in it.

Well the lack of ideas isn't exactly surprising given the tech levels, since your first idea group only unlocks at level 5. But yeah I have no idea where those points could be going.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Isn't there also a new disaster that can fire pretty early?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Could be. Maybe they had peasants war and a one of the other two ones.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tahirovic posted:

Isn't there also a new disaster that can fire pretty early?

Castilian Civil War, but it's usually not very severe.

There is also a pretty nasty event you get if you try to convert the Granada provinces which spawns a big rear end revolt, which probably had something to do with them randomly being Muslim.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if Morocco conquered them, converted the area and then they broke free by rebels.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Here is today's Dev Diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-5th-of-september-2017.1042506/

They are adding things you can do in trade nodes where you have power, as part of the buy-in for the expansion. Not much else is shared.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cool, cool, co-Oh my god that religious center bonus! No no no! It's bad enough for Christians but having to deal with that poo poo all over the world all game would, most likely, be awful. :gonk:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Poil posted:

Cool, cool, co-Oh my god that religious center bonus! No no no! It's bad enough for Christians but having to deal with that poo poo all over the world all game would, most likely, be awful. :gonk:

Looks like it's only in trade company regions, so probably not going to be that huge unless you get some kind of hyper-colonizing Ottomans.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

aww and here i was looking forward to building a million light ships and peacefully spreading the prophet's word to literally everywhere

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Here is today's Dev Diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-5th-of-september-2017.1042506/

They are adding things you can do in trade nodes where you have power, as part of the buy-in for the expansion. Not much else is shared.

Looks like it might be time to start another Venice game. :getin:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I might buy it just for another try at a Third Way run.

I'd still need something more. Professionalism just seems like such a headache considering that you build it over centuries and can seemingly tank it and gently caress yourself over for decades just by calling up mercs in an emergency.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, this Auld Alliance run is going pretty well, just finished conquering England, time to see what things are like in mainland Eur-

:cripes:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, this Auld Alliance run is going pretty well, just finished conquering England, time to see what things are like in mainland Eur-

:cripes:

And that's why you spend the first 100 years attacking the biggest threats (current or future) and kicking them until they stay down. Especially France.

Other big guys like Ottomans and Russia tend to have much weaker alliances due to religion and/or position and their power kinda declines as time goes on (Ottomans after Janissary decadence are a joke, Russia tends to be slow tech-wise and has economic problems; having infinite manpower is useless if you can't fight for poo poo).

Spain is powerful but tends to stay isolated, colonize relatively peacefully and doesn't bother much with mainland Europe due to their position, Austria's whole gimmick is "I'm not the richest/strongest country but I have a huge swarm of allies and PUs" so it's much less of a problem since they're a paper tiger once you get their allies out of the equation, but France is loving hell. They're big, insanely strong on their own once they claim their land and get Elan, they pretty much never implode like other big nations tend to do, AND tend to ally the biggest enemies of Austria... which are usually Spain and Ottomans. gently caress that, you have to cripple them within 1500 or you're screwed if you plan on antagonizing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the longer you wait the more likely they are to have elan + alliances + ideas etc. just take a mainland england province or cornwall or something and go to town on france as soon as castile/burgundy/austria are ready

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that's pretty good advice, I guess I'll just resta-

I honestly don't know if this is good or bad.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that's pretty good advice, I guess I'll just resta-

I honestly don't know if this is good or bad.

France is probably gonna run over whoever they want with England bound up, since the AI never seems to press claims for its PUs. Or at least that was my experience with Brittany PUing over France.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's actually the end result of a succession war between France and Portugal. Portugal won.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Fister Roboto posted:

That's actually the end result of a succession war between France and Portugal. Portugal won.

Not so sad a state.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
If Portugal was the defender then France would need to occupy London to win that war, which they probably couldn't do so it ended in a white peace.
Most likely Castile is allied with Portugal too and joined them in a defensive war against the attacker France.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Paradox apparently likes China's hammerlock on the eastern half of the map so much they're bringing it to CK2 as well

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Found out that a close friend has over 500 hours clocked in this game, so I asked them if we could multi together since I was having a tough time breaking the ice on EU4 myself. They're trying to make it big as Brandenburg while I terrorize my tiny neighbors as France. They've really helped me to understand the basics so far. :shobon:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I haven't played in a long while because of the whole China-unbalancing-the-game situation, from what I see it's still going on. I'm not super attached to ironman though, are there any mods floating around that fix the issue?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The easiest "fix" is to just turn off Mandate of Heaven. That disables tributaries, which circumvents the problems. Mingsplosions still won't be as common as in the old days but that was never realistic anyway

Alternatively you could just not play in Asia unless you plan on either being Ming or trying to directly confront Ming (for instance Manchu to Qing is totally fine); if you play anywhere else then you very probably won't be effected by the weird tributary range and high-mandate shenanigans

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 8, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I feel like it affects any of my games where I get Exploration (95% 0f my games) because I beeline for Indonesia. Now I cant really gently caress with Indonesia (other than Brunei) because Ming tributaries the whole thing, every game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I feel like it affects any of my games where I get Exploration (95% 0f my games) because I beeline for Indonesia. Now I cant really gently caress with Indonesia (other than Brunei) because Ming tributaries the whole thing, every game.

There's still plenty of good land in Indonesia to colonize and it's totally worth it. Personally I never attacked the Indonesian minors much anyway because I can't be hosed microing fleets and armies about all the ridiculously high level forts in high attrition provinces there, but I wouldn't say Ming makes it not worth going there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

There's still plenty of good land in Indonesia to colonize and it's totally worth it. Personally I never attacked the Indonesian minors much anyway because I can't be hosed microing fleets and armies about all the ridiculously high level forts in high attrition provinces there, but I wouldn't say Ming makes it not worth going there.
I disagree 100% because I dont care about colonizing the uncolonized land; I care about exploring there as early as possible to snipe the CoT provinces so I can funnel trade to Zanzibar because I can be hosed to move armies and navies there because its worth it for the trade $$$$.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Thankfully I don't care about achievements so I usually just console Ming out of existence.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Bloody Pom posted:

Found out that a close friend has over 500 hours clocked in this game, so I asked them if we could multi together since I was having a tough time breaking the ice on EU4 myself. They're trying to make it big as Brandenburg while I terrorize my tiny neighbors as France. They've really helped me to understand the basics so far. :shobon:

That's great, man. EU4 was the first paradox game I managed to wrap my head around, and it's a bit overwhelming at first, but the core gameplay is easy enough. France is a good start as well, since you are strong enough to be involved in a lot of different interesting events, but also so strong that you won't be pushed around much, unless you've made some real spectacular errors.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Ming is easy to deal with as a Euro coloniser, if you attack at a tributary you can blockade them with a superior navy until they white peace out before getting what you want. Indonesia is still a cakewalk at that point it just takes slightly more preparation.

It's mid-tier land powers whom'st Ming really represent a block to, and honestly I think that's fine.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fauxbot posted:

Ming is easy to deal with as a Euro coloniser, if you attack at a tributary you can blockade them with a superior navy until they white peace out before getting what you want. Indonesia is still a cakewalk at that point it just takes slightly more preparation.

It's mid-tier land powers whom'st Ming really represent a block to, and honestly I think that's fine.
:crossarms: Ming always has a huge fuckoff Navy in my experience, so what you are describing has not been anything that I have experienced or been able to do.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
It was easy enough as Portugal. I only had two colonial nations but I was abusing the gently caress out of tariffs and had incredible amounts of money. By 1600 my navy was more numerous and better quality than Ming's, if you're rushing to beat on the Malaccan tributary nations before then just to funnel trade that's just lack of patience unless you're going for a really specific chievo. The Ming navy is easier to circumnavigate than their army - no such thing as mercenary boats.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

:crossarms: Ming always has a huge fuckoff Navy in my experience, so what you are describing has not been anything that I have experienced or been able to do.

If you're a Euro colonizer you're doing it wrong if you don't have a huger fuckoffer navy than them. You get tons of forcelimits out of trade companies and all those coastal provinces, trouncing any fleet in the game shouldn't be a problem by the time you've established yourself in Indonesia enough to actually want to contest Ming's tributaries there.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 8, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I would still definitely consider turning off MoH because having to wait it out like that for every single minor war in the region sounds like hell.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

If you're a Euro colonizer you're doing it wrong if you don't have a huger fuckoffer navy than them. You get tons of forcelimits out of trade companies and all those coastal provinces, trouncing any fleet in the game shouldn't be a problem by the time you've established yourself in Indonesia enough to actually want to contest Ming's tributaries there.
Fair, but my issue is with the fact that the player is forced to contend with Ming in the first place. Portugal conquered Malacca in 1511 historically. Later in the game's timeframe, the Dutch gradually gained control over all of Sumatra; the English took control of southern Malaya - Ming never intervened or gave a poo poo. Therefore the mechanic is both incredibly annoying to deal with and completely a-historical in a game based on history.

AnoHito posted:

I would still definitely consider turning off MoH because having to wait it out like that for every single minor war in the region sounds like hell.
Exactly.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Koramei posted:

Speaking of trade companies, what's everyone's take on them vs. keeping those provinces as territories or states? I get that state maintenance ramps up based on distance from the capital so you don't want to state provinces in say, Indonesia but I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on when it's worthwhile to make a province part of a trade company.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Eldred posted:

Speaking of trade companies, what's everyone's take on them vs. keeping those provinces as territories or states? I get that state maintenance ramps up based on distance from the capital so you don't want to state provinces in say, Indonesia but I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on when it's worthwhile to make a province part of a trade company.

Personally, I think Trade companies are great. You usually get crap tax and manpower from distant holdings anyway, and trade companies seem to have far less issues with unrest than a direct hand somehow.

If you are just that powerful to have a massive overseas army and your income is not harmed by paying extra for the ultramarine stuff, companies are not really necessary. But in most cases, they let you get most of the benefit of colonies without the hassles.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eldred posted:

Trade companies are really good. Not only does state maintenance scale with distance, you also pay 25% more for being on a different continent or being an unaccepted culture. As you can see here I'm paying over half of the income I get from owning Manila as Portugal:

That's still more raw income than I'd get if I turned it into a trade company province, but chances are good that there are better options for making into states. The other benefits from trade companies are huge: they eliminate all of the penalties from off-religion and off-culture, they double the trade power of the province, and you get some flat naval force limit out of it. Oh yeah, and the extra merchant for dominating the node it's in. That's kind of a big deal. The main reason for trade companies is to direct trade value to your home node, and they excel at that because trade value isn't affected by autonomy. They even increase the trade value in provinces you don't own. For that reason it's probably a good idea to state any gold provinces, maybe.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I always trade company everything, doubly so since the autonomy got taken out for them.

Fair, but my issue is with the fact that the player is forced to contend with Ming in the first place. Portugal conquered Malacca in 1511 historically. Later in the game's timeframe, the Dutch gradually gained control over all of Sumatra; the English took control of southern Malaya - Ming never intervened or gave a poo poo. Therefore the mechanic is both incredibly annoying to deal with and completely a-historical in a game based on history.

That's a pretty huge mischaracterization of the history (this comment extends to 90% of the "it's ahistorical" comments I've been seeing in these threads since MoH, incidentally), China had vested interests in Southeast Asia for centuries and some of the wars fought between it and the Dutch and Portuguese were directly related to them- and those that weren't are hard to model, since colonialism in this game is completely hosed in general and none of it happens in a remotely historical way anyway (which I would love to see changed, but I'm not sure it's ever gonna happen). The Chinese interaction sphere being wholly through doom wars where they send 200,000 men at you to defend the integral Chinese territory of Zanzibar is also clearly stupid, but at the root of it I still really like that it's a country mechanic that forces neighbor interaction (like the HRE), and while having parts of that interaction in ways other than wars would be nice, EU4 generally doesn't do a whole lot other than wars. Having to contend with China while you're uniting Borneo might not be entirely historical but it's more interesting than just getting to eat free land whichever way you turn, and East and Southeast Asia are very distinct from the rest of the world now, which is something I really wanna see more of, not less.

Personally after playing a few more games around Ming, the big thing I wanna see is a wargoal that cancels all their tributaries (and forces them canceled for like 25 years or something). They should definitely not cost as much to revoke as a normal vassal, and having to swing all their tributaries individually to yourself is one of the most annoying parts of claiming the Mandate/ fighting China. Also IMO it should be super cheap to cancel a single tributary (like 5% warscore- enough that you've had to win battles against them, but not had to commit to occupying half of China) so you can take out a single tributary next to you that's ruining your pretty borders or whatever, without having to fight a huge doomwar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

That's a pretty huge mischaracterization of the history (this comment extends to 90% of the "it's ahistorical" comments I've been seeing in these threads since MoH, incidentally), China had vested interests in Southeast Asia for centuries and some of the wars fought between it and the Dutch and Portuguese were directly related to them- and those that weren't are hard to model, since colonialism in this game is completely hosed in general and none of it happens in a remotely historical way anyway (which I would love to see changed, but I'm not sure it's ever gonna happen). The Chinese interaction sphere being wholly through doom wars where they send 200,000 men at you to defend the integral Chinese territory of Zanzibar is also clearly stupid, but at the root of it I still really like that it's a country mechanic that forces neighbor interaction (like the HRE), and while having parts of that interaction in ways other than wars would be nice, EU4 generally doesn't do a whole lot other than wars. Having to contend with China while you're uniting Borneo might not be entirely historical but it's more interesting than just getting to eat free land whichever way you turn, and East and Southeast Asia are very distinct from the rest of the world now, which is something I really wanna see more of, not less.
It's really just going back to the old EU problem of excessive force projection. Both the Portuguese and the Dutch got their asses handed to them when they tried to tangle with China directly, but China was unable to stop either from running wild on their tributaries. That said, since China's ability to actually defend its tributaries seems to have been pretty limited, the more historical options seems to be to not have a call to arms for China when its tributaries are attacked - because a call to arms means a doom war in EU4. Or maybe limit it to tributaries that actually border China's capital region.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 8, 2017

• Locked thread