Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Fish Noise posted:

100% wang lore accurate:

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Fish Noise posted:

100% wang lore accurate:

The mountains of california echo with my hatred now.

I'd be all for making that my avatar

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If the City of Tears brought this doom down on its own head, I can see why the bees aren't in any hurry to help anyone from there. I mean, what, so they can drop Round 2?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
RIP Highwang, thought of spikes and died.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GenericOverusedName posted:

RIP Highwang, thought of spikes pizza and died.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RIP Highwang, thought of spikes and died.

I AINT DEAD YET FUCKER.

New Update! - Episode 18: Queen's Garden

Happy Labor Day everyone, sorry for the delay. Queen's Garden is a place where a lot of plot happens that we can't see yet. The gimmick here is mainly platforming, both in terms of reflex-based and also learning how to fight on tight platforms. The latter becomes HUGELY important in the end game but that's neither here nor there. The only thing we can get of real importance here however is the Key of Love, which we'll see its purpose next episode. I also pick up a skill that I long forgot about since the start of the LP and we could've gotten at episode 3: The Up+B Magic. The scream spell is neat, its a great way to deal with fly-boys but note that its attack isn't a single front-loaded hit like the other spells but rather roughly 3-4 multiple hits. We also pick up a new Nail Art today thanks to shinespark: the vanilla charge attack. This is probably my favorite of the three since there's no bells & whistles to it, you just hold and release for huge damage. The charge attacks in general for this game though just don't pack any oomph for the time invested in it, so I rarely use it in general. Sadly this episode isn't much for plot but hey its a nice place.

Speaking of plot, we have one last area to explore in the episode after next, and then I start moving toward the actual endgame! Kinda surprised at how long this LP's going but this game's really huge.

Oh yeah one final thing. WHO DID THIS TO MY AVATAR?!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

As the one to tell you about the secret near the Greenpath stag station, I must say, :sigh:

Perhaps I could have been clearer?

dancingbears posted:

- Exit the stag station in Greenpath and attack the wall to the upper right.

:shepface:

Also Great Slash is amazing for oneshotting Primal Aspids, the flying three-way shot bugs in the Kingdom's Edge. That alone makes it absolutely worth your time.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Highwang posted:

I'd be all for making that my avatar

:twisted: IT IS DONE

Highwang posted:

Oh yeah one final thing. WHO DID THIS TO MY AVATAR?!

:iiam:

Sormus fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 5, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Come to think of it, those worms must have been jarred pretty recently if they're all still alive.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Howling Wraiths was pretty much a go-to of mine whenever I fought aerial enemies. And I never knew you could kill the spiky corpses, dang.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009
Regarding the traitor Mantises, from what I recall, they're the mantises that embraced the plague and tried to use it for power instead of rejecting and fighting against it. That's why they all look so bloated, big and 'bleed' orange like every other infected enemies. That they're a later game enemy than the pure mantises does kinda hint that they might have succeeded somewhat, now that I think about it...

(edit: Then again, what you say in the vid may be the right one instead, it's hard to be sure since the game is allergic to just giving info straight. But the Mantises had some kind of relationship with the kingdom while the traitor mantises seem even more far away and insular from the city)

Glalev fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 5, 2017

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh hey he's not dead after all!

The hunter's journal mentions that traitor mantises willingly embraced the infection for the strength it gives and turned on the rest of the tribe. They also have that infected orange goo blood when you hit them, and they have orange eyes.

It's not explicitly stated, but you can tell in the game that they also abandoned honor. Whereas the loyal mantis enemies in the fungal wastes will wait for you to approach them before attacking, these fuckers will set up ambushes, jump you from out of nowhere, set up those arena rooms, etc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Re. the platforms, maybe they're supposed to be for ivy and cannot support too much weight?

Edit: As you may have guessed from the dialogue, Marmu is based off of a caterpillar, specifically the Puss moth larva. Grown up, they are much cuter, tho much less colourful. But the 'mouth' is not their mouth; it's actually their head.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 5, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I have no idea where Highwang got that 'Traitor' lore because it's definitely not in the game.

As mentioned, the Traitors are traitors because they accepted they accepted the Infection in return for additional strength, and so they got cast out.
The Hunter's Journal explicitly says this.

Nothing to do with King's society at all.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

bewilderment posted:

I have no idea where Highwang got that 'Traitor' lore because it's definitely not in the game.

As mentioned, the Traitors are traitors because they accepted they accepted the Infection in return for additional strength, and so they got cast out.
The Hunter's Journal explicitly says this.

Nothing to do with King's society at all.

I honestly just made it up. I knew nothing about it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Also, they invaded and took over the gardens after the whole infection thing got started. The infection seemed to be not really focused on hurting those who were loyal to the king, but just to directly screwing the king over in any way it could.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Something about this update kinda made me nervous...

Please, come closer.

Closer.

hEllo.

nIcE tO sEe YoU hERe.

LET ME TASTE YOUR SKIN!

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

It's not explicitly stated, but you can tell in the game that they also abandoned honor. Whereas the loyal mantis enemies in the fungal wastes will wait for you to approach them before attacking, these fuckers will set up ambushes, jump you from out of nowhere, set up those arena rooms, etc.

That's a very good point, and the traitor youngs stay away and attack from range, doing their best to make sure you can't counter-attack.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

I honestly just made it up. I knew nothing about it.
I think we'll get some more traitor lore later on, when you do the rest of the area.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Wow I really love this area! It just strikes me as almost unusually peaceful, despite the wild overgrown plants and the mad insects running around. They really nailed the atmosphere for this place, it still feels like, despite the decay, you would still come here for a moment of peace. The ambient tune is really good too!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

"A moment of oblivious luck, the Highwang biography"

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Nalesh posted:

"A moment of oblivious luck, the Highwang biography"

Alternate title "Dammit Wang, drop a stack of food!"

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Rear cover blurb " 'As Cthulhu my witness, I'll never go hungry again!' - Highwang, probably. "

We may be able to deal with his food hoarding if the provisions sprite got replaced with a picture of a slice of pizza. He'd never keep that!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Tower of Love - A Jarring Experience

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Sormus posted:

Tower of Love - A Jarring Experience

...wrong...

New Update - Episode 19- Tower of Love & Colosseum of Fools

Welcome to the update I've personally been waiting on for a while. These aren't really levels per se, but they're definitely the most memorable bits of Hollow Knight. In order to access Tower of Love, you need a hidden key from the Queen's Gardens which shouldn't be too hard to find if you actively explore the area. The Tower is a straightforward level but man, The Collector is the biggest tonal shift in this game bar none. Colosseum of Fools however is a grand endurance trial pitting you against wave after wave of new and exciting enemy layouts, but really the best payoff comes from the first of the three challenges. Not much else to say, enjoy the nonsense.

On an aside, I am hoping to get all 57 precepts of Zote voice acted sometime soon but i'm struggling with my free time as of late. I have some people in mind, but if you're interested enough and have a rad voice then let me know.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I could give it a shot, though I make no promises about mic quality.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I'm willing to record lines, but they will all be precepts about pizza, instead of what I've been asked to record.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Precambrian posted:

I'm willing to record lines, but they will all be precepts about pizza, instead of what I've been asked to record.

Precept Twenty-Seven: 'Eat As Much As You Can'

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Precept Twenty-Seven: 'Eat As Much As You Can'

Precept Fifteen: 'No Goddamn Pineapple'

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Full dream nail dialogue for The Collector

My love! My love! Protected at last!
A safe space, for you! And you! And you!
It must be saved!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Lazy Bear posted:

Precept Fifteen: 'No Goddamn Pineapple'
Precept Sixteen: "Pineapple is actually pretty good. But never admit it to anyone."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Zote's first principle sounds pretty familiar. Ah well. At least he's somewhere he probably won't do any more harm.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lazy Bear posted:

I could give it a shot, though I make no promises about mic quality.

Ditto

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013
I'd like to give it a shot. Got a home studio, so the equipment is decent. Did a few voice bits for an escape room earlier this year.
You'd have to live with a (slight, I hope) german accent, though.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Update's gonna be delayed this week due to health reasons. In the meantime, a cursory glance at the Games thread for hollow knight revealed this:

http://teamcherry.com.au/the-grimm-troupe/

I really hope new content for games I LP doesn't become a trend. Least with this I can do it just after the main game, unlike Crimson Court with Darkest Dungeon.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Highwang posted:

I really hope new content for games I LP doesn't become a trend. Least with this I can do it just after the main game, unlike Crimson Court with Darkest Dungeon.

Obviously the answer to this is for you to lp the new xcom 2 dlc, and Jadestar to do the crimson court :v:

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Highwang posted:

Quick, LP halflife 2 episode 2.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
...goddammit. Has anybody else encountered, or know of a fix to, an issue with missing the last Pale Ore needed for upgrading?

I'm 99% sure I've visited all the places and completed all the various requirements for having them all, but I'm still missing one. Some googling around suggests there are at least a few other folks that have run into the same issue.

To be clear, I'm not asking what the requirements are for getting them; I'm saying I've done all those things but am still one Pale Ore short. I'm hoping it's something dumb but non-obvious. >_<

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 22, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Ghost of Starman posted:

...goddammit. Has anybody else encountered, or know of a fix to, an issue with missing the last Pale Ore needed for upgrading?

I'm 99% sure I've visited all the places and completed all the various requirements for having them all, but I'm still missing one. Some googling around suggests there are at least a few other folks that have run into the same issue.

To be clear, I'm not asking what the requirements are for getting them; I'm saying I've done all those things but am still one Pale Ore short. I'm hoping it's something dumb but non-obvious. >_<

Have you tried submitting a bug report? Team Cherry seem like cool dudes who want to make sure they catch all their glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 20: Howling Cliffs

Let us ascend with Gorb.

Today's update is a fairly quick and interesting one. Howling Cliffs is accessible through a few means. The one that's probably found by everyone is by going to every other Stag Station in the game then talking to the Last Stag, where he'll tell you that he found his home. This method results in a mask fragment as well so its more desirable anyway. Another means is through taking a sort of backwards route through the area around where you first find Zote, though this one is way trickier to do in general since it involves tight & blind walljumps. Finally, if you make your way to the first room of the game, just going left reveals a shaft upward that you can walljump into the Howling Cliffs through. That last bit was something I meant to show off at the start of the game but I just spaced out and forgot sadly.

The Cliffs themselves are a bit underwhelming compared to the rest of the game however. There's no "stage boss" and the only midboss is our buddy GORB. You can find a couple collectables out here ranging from Grubflies, mask shards and most importantly a Nail Master. There's also a neat trinket with Joni's Blessing that I rarely use since the benefits don't really outweigh the downsides imo. Aside from that, its a rather ho-hum area that's meant to flesh out the world in general.

Next time we advance the plot finally. Hope y'all are ready.

• Locked thread