Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Had a perfect retaliation mission going. No one even got a shot on my troops! Unfortunately the Warlock summoned spectral zombies on top of me--normally not an issue--and one of the Resistance members decided to shoot the one that used Spectral Rupture or whatever it's called. Minor damage but it broke my otherwise exquisite stats and gave a tiny bit of hospital time to my troops.

Resistance jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Ok then I guess there's some single zombie somewhere that I haven't revealed yet. I guess I'll just keep searching...

yup, sure enough there were two zoms hanging out in the shadow of a train car. That was duuuumb, took so much more damage that I needed to because of that win condition.

First time that happened to me I had to deal with the warlock hiding in the corner of the map, sending psi zombies. I ended up with 137 kills after I killed the warlock and found the last couple of lost.

Such a dumb win condition when the horde sitrep is active.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Paingod556 posted:

E3245 Weapon Pack- he did a ton for XCOM2, but now he's improved them a ton for WotC, mostly back-end stuff so they don't break everything as weapon tech advances and they can fill in for the Bullpup and Autopistol (a few missions after that clip, he gives his Templar Dickbricker a Vz.61 for full on KLOBBering time. It was amazing) Also them animations :allears:

https://imgur.com/a/Po1YP

He made a deal with Beagle to get him an early version for his playthrough, it should be out this week as I understand it.
I am so hard for this. Funnily enough I never had much of a problem with the visual design of the beam weapons, until the expansion came out and I realised they kinda look like poo poo in my precious propaganda posters. This pack will be SO good for that.

And another gripe of mine I hope the pack will take care of: Firing animations. Zip mode was a nice addition from the devs and Stop Wasting My Time helps too, but some animations in the game are still too long and make the combat feel less fluid.

For example, the beam weapon firing animation has always bothered me. I don't like the lengthy charge-up at all, it just makes the whole animation feel too long. It would be a lot better if the soldier just quickly put out like a couple beam blasts. PEW-PEW instead of fzzzZZZZZ PEW. Similarly, the magnetic assault rifle firing animation has the opening three-round burst and then the two slower follow-up shots, and I think it could really do without the latter. Thirdly I think it's really dumb how grenadiers hold their cannons like a rifle but fire it using the grip and handle at the top. It just looks really clunky. Like, okay, I get that they just wanted to make it so all soldiers use the same idle poses, but a more sensible solution that would've accomplished the same thing, would have been to just give the grenadiers LMGs instead of those weird minigun things. With this weapon pack I assume I'll be able to do just that.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Labs now double the chance of getting a Research Breakthrough, which can be really useful. There's also a Resistance Order to improve Lab output by 20%.

Ok, I was wondering why I had so many breakthroughs this play through. I built a lab in order to help me rush magnetic weapons, which ended up being effective longer than usual because of all the +1 damage breakthroughs

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well I just lost my Commander mission for the dumbest of reasons. Hit the Avatar timer, and the next facility is one region over, in South Africa. Unfortunately I'm 1 intel short of going there right away so I built a radio tower that rolls max time. Then (after an interrupting mission) I fly over and contacting SA also takes max time. The timer ran out as I was flying to the facility to raid it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

oswald ownenstein posted:

On legend, building slots are too tight and something should be combined again

Excavation is the real problem though, you just can't keep up and workshop/lab is just too low priority. Its a shame these structures weren't buffed in some way to be more relevant.

I don't think the breakthrough is the deal - shaving off like 50 supplies is nothing.

Where would you even put the lab? There are 12 building slots, and you must have these 10 by the late game:
guerilla school
Infirmary
Training room
2 resistance comms
2 generators
proving ground
shadow chamber
Resistance ring

Then there are optionals competing for the last 2 slots:
Psi
Defense matrix
Workshop
Laboratory

Psi is clearly the best, and then workshop if you need extra engineers. And by time you don't need workshop you likely don't need the laboratory either.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Build lab early for while you research everything then delete it afterwards?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Resistance fighters killed 3 berzerkers and a chryssalid without me even helping :stare:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Pyromancer posted:

Where would you even put the lab? There are 12 building slots, and you must have these 10 by the late game:
Contacts and power are easy enough to come by on the strategy layer that you don't really need two buildings for either, unless all your power coils are in the bottom row or something. I slapped a power conduit on a coil and never needed to build another, just upgrade the one I had. If you do end up needing two, you can just dismantle the other later once you've picked enough up from the geoscape, or covert ops, or orders.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

guerilla school
Infirmary
Training room
2 resistance comms
2 generators
proving ground
shadow chamber
Resistance ring

Then there are optionals competing for the last 2 slots:
Psi
Defense matrix
Workshop
Laboratory

Psi is clearly the best, and then workshop if you need extra engineers. And by time you don't need workshop you likely don't need the laboratory either.
You only need one each of power and comms if you upgrade and staff them, plus maybe grab one or two scan locations and use resistance orders if you're really unlucky. Put your psi and shadow chamber on the coils for maximum gains. Each takes 10 power iirc and putting a generator on a coil only gives you a bonus 7 power.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Well just had a squad wipe on a retaliation mission. There was something explosive on the other side of a wall my guys were in cover against and a dying spectral zombie set it off. It killed 3 but honestly if I had been more careful and not taken a bunch of unnecessary damage early on it would have been fine. I need to put a post-it note on my screen reminding me to never reveal any part of the map as my last action EVER. RIP this IM campaign.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've gone for filling out the top layer with GTS/Infirmary/Ring and then digging as deep as I need to go to get the exposed power conduit for my first power relay. It works because it's no longer so necessary to get that first Comm relay building in your second month and there's plenty of engineering stuff to spend your supplies on while you are waiting for the power to expand the base.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr.Citrus posted:

Ok, I was wondering why I had so many breakthroughs this play through. I built a lab in order to help me rush magnetic weapons, which ended up being effective longer than usual because of all the +1 damage breakthroughs

I've had chains of breakthroughs and inspirations after just about every single research item even without the lab. It just throws them at you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

AttackBacon posted:

Don't you have something like 300 mods? It's a mod. All of your problems have probably been because of mods. Mods break poo poo all the time.

Not quite, as this is after I unsubbed to all of them just to get the game to run at all. Apart from voice packs and some outfits, the only mods I'm using now are the Long War Toolbox, Grimy's Loot, Mod Everything Reloaded, EU Aim Rolls and Hack Plus.

Man, if one of those is behind the bugs, that sucks, because those are all really good.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Has Saturation Fire become less wonky at all?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Discovered one of my least favorite sitreps while using mostly B/C grade soldiers, dashed to the device and found it half dead

Somehow made it out with one injury, AP ammo and some of the chosen gear is goddamn crazy
Did you read the sitrep / shadow network info and decide not to bring a crate full of EMPs and Bluescreen?

marshmallow creep posted:

Not quite, as this is after I unsubbed to all of them just to get the game to run at all. Apart from voice packs and some outfits, the only mods I'm using now are the Long War Toolbox, Grimy's Loot, Mod Everything Reloaded, EU Aim Rolls and Hack Plus.

Man, if one of those is behind the bugs, that sucks, because those are all really good.
Even simple Long War mods like SMGs were broken on launch and I don't know what the other one does but it sounds big. Stop complaining until you've really turned everything off.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Superstring posted:

Has Saturation Fire become less wonky at all?

It no longer sets the grenadier on fire, so yeah

Also i think my least favorite of the new dudes is the skirmisher faction, they just seem like a discount ranger and all of their damage is lower. The pull/charge are sort of fun but they lack the get out of jails of melee combat that a ranger or a templar has which sinks that a bit (I will still get and use them, but they're not at all clutch or make missions particularly easier). Reapers are really good at just murdering the chosen/alien leader guys (Turn 1 shred all the armor w/ a grenadier, and on reaper action banish) with banish and a superior clip mod, and are great at scouting. Their mark skill means nothing can really hide, too. Templars are fun but somewhat limited since they can only really do one attack a turn, but they're fun to stack dodge on and give them reflect/parry. Sparks seem to not be as great except for the whole no-will thing, since the average power of a standard xcom unit has gone up a ton because of the training thing, i can only imagine if they didn't give you the ability to mod their weapons. They still feel semi-weak, with their strongest ability probably being the reaction fire on pod aggro. I'd argue that giving them the ability to train their other skills would at least keep them slightly more relevant, since the will thing stops being a problem when you get the will recovery order, and since your roster is already way bigger it's not even a problem to begin with

As far as the chosen go the only one that was ever worrying was the assassin, and i took her out first, the other two died super easy and were nothing more than mild inconveniences. All their weapons are great though, with the warlock's probably being the worst, which isn't saying much since it's still very good, although i haven't tried giving it to an assault character, which would probably make it very good

Also don't take shredder on a sniper if you want them to just use AP ammo, as the shredding drops the health damage by the appropriate amount. Not as big a deal if you make sure to keep them with talon rounds. A sniper with the hunter's rifle is truly crazy good, since w/ DFA you can just murder everything, even more efficiently than a reaper ranger since there's no range problem

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know it didn't really occur to me until now but I greatly appreciate that Officer John "CLOSE RANGE" Bradford is a Ranger in XCOM 2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sloober posted:

It no longer sets the grenadier on fire, so yeah

That was always so weird.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

That was always so weird.

It's really good. It's basically a cooldown Shredstorm heavy weapon now. (With less range, albeit, since it can't literally shred 1/2 the map.

Take it and mow em all down.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, I have some hours to kill today, and money in the bank. Is War of the Chosen good?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Also i think my least favorite of the new dudes is the skirmisher faction, they just seem like a discount ranger and all of their damage is lower. The pull/charge are sort of fun but they lack the get out of jails of melee combat that a ranger or a templar has which sinks that a bit (I will still get and use them, but they're not at all clutch or make missions particularly easier). Reapers are really good at just murdering the chosen/alien leader guys (Turn 1 shred all the armor w/ a grenadier, and on reaper action banish) with banish and a superior clip mod, and are great at scouting. Their mark skill means nothing can really hide, too. Templars are fun but somewhat limited since they can only really do one attack a turn, but they're fun to stack dodge on and give them reflect/parry. Sparks seem to not be as great except for the whole no-will thing, since the average power of a standard xcom unit has gone up a ton because of the training thing, i can only imagine if they didn't give you the ability to mod their weapons. They still feel semi-weak, with their strongest ability probably being the reaction fire on pod aggro. I'd argue that giving them the ability to train their other skills would at least keep them slightly more relevant, since the will thing stops being a problem when you get the will recovery order, and since your roster is already way bigger it's not even a problem to begin with

The new classes are all weaker damage-wise than XCOM classes but their abilities more than make up for it. Skirmishers are basically holo-targeting superstunners for me. I don't think I've ever seen Justice miss.

I'd buy and field a second spark and upgrade the pair of them but I still don't have the money to do that. Sorry robits.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

So that was new

I had a pod of 2 Archons and a Codex activate into me while I had everyone on overwatch

Codex got hit twice, but then suddenly one of the attacks 'disappeared' and she teleported away. Didn't clone, and the second overwatch that hit just vanished.
Then everyone else laid into one Archon. It got Frenzy and so it attacked immediately. It chose to shoot my Templar, with Reflect.
6 damage later, and Frenzy proc'd again, and Meg Griffin (100% random character, thanks game) was shot a second time though it missed.

I now understand why you shouldn't overwatch trap Archons.

EDIT- Found the Codex again, she was at 1 health, so that was normal

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 5, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sloober posted:

Also don't take shredder on a sniper if you want them to just use AP ammo, as the shredding drops the health damage by the appropriate amount.

Are you sure about that? My gunners in Vanilla carried AP ammo, and I'm sure the shred was bonus w/o dropping their base damage at all.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I wish you could turn all the Chosen stuff off. Pretty heavy pricetag for zombies and extra missions but drat if the Chosen stuff isnt just more annoying than fun. If that ghost woman one gets her intel bar all the way up you might as well just restart

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how salty the Chosen get over what you do to them. "How basic", the Warlock says as I throw a lure attracting 40 zombies to him. "I've never seen such brutality with a sword", he exclaims as my blademaster eviscerates his stun lancer.

The Assassin gets really frustrated and annoyed with the lost getting in everyone's way too. :v:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Made Whole should go away in a month, right? Holding off on the assassin stronghold until it's over.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

dyzzy posted:

Made Whole should go away in a month, right? Holding off on the assassin stronghold until it's over.

Yes, it ends like any other dark event.

Except Lost World which lasts forever and is hilarious. (there's a mod to fix it)

I just wish the Metal Gear Solid "!" Alert sound mod would update for WOTC. (actually seems to be a base mod it requires that hasn't updated)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
My Templar rolled Bladestorm and Fortress. Between Parry, Deflect/Reflect, Fortress, and my Dodge PCS, she's kind of immune to everything so I can pretty happily run her up to large pods and have her tank like crazy. And I don't even know what the Colonel skills look like yet!

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 5, 2017

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I've suddenly run into quite a few crashes and I'm not using any mods. :(

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The best mod finally got ported

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1128364439

Now we only need the Vahlen mod and the sassy snake mod

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

I've suddenly run into quite a few crashes and I'm not using any mods. :(

Same. All my saves started corrupting the moment I turned on any mod as well.
Might wait for a patch or two.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Randarkman posted:

So, I have some hours to kill today, and money in the bank. Is War of the Chosen good?

It is extremely good

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Randarkman posted:

The general consensus is very positive, though a tiny handful of people don't like it. It adds a ton of new content, fixes a lot of bugs, improves general performance, and mixes up existing mechanics a bit as well.

Seriously, a truckload of new and/or improved content.

It's not totally flawless - the late game is just as much a victory lap as ever, probably even moreso. But until you are rocking full plasma and warden armor it's pretty intense.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Grimy's has NOT been updated, and he is not modding xcom anymore so it'll only happen if someone else takes it over.

StabMasterArson posted:

I wish you could turn all the Chosen stuff off. Pretty heavy pricetag for zombies and extra missions but drat if the Chosen stuff isnt just more annoying than fun. If that ghost woman one gets her intel bar all the way up you might as well just restart

You can turn the Chosen off with a mod. But why? All full intel does is launch an avenger assault, and you can just murder everything and fly off it's hardly a game-ender.

Sloober posted:

Also i think my least favorite of the new dudes is the skirmisher faction, they just seem like a discount ranger and all of their damage is lower. The pull/charge are sort of fun but they lack the get out of jails of melee combat that a ranger or a templar has which sinks that a bit (I will still get and use them, but they're not at all clutch or make missions particularly easier).

On of their perks unlocks melee attacks BTW. They are very mobile too, especially if you buff them further via Covert ops. I think they pair quite well with a Reaper since if you have scouted the area you can grapple/run around for sick flanks. Also if you get the mod to fix Battlerlord so it actually reacts to all moves as it says it should and have an expanded mag you can get some crazy results.

As for Sparks, if you use:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124609091
You can backfill perks too, and:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1125117203
adds some proving ground projects to upgrade them.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Deuce posted:

Yes, it ends like any other dark event.

Except Lost World which lasts forever and is hilarious. (there's a mod to fix it)

I just wish the Metal Gear Solid "!" Alert sound mod would update for WOTC. (actually seems to be a base mod it requires that hasn't updated)

Cool. Now there's a mod idea: a tracker that shows how long until each active event expires.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

Backhand posted:

The general consensus is very positive, though a tiny handful of people don't like it. It adds a ton of new content, fixes a lot of bugs, improves general performance, and mixes up existing mechanics a bit as well.

Seriously, a truckload of new and/or improved content.

It's not totally flawless - the late game is just as much a victory lap as ever, probably even moreso. But until you are rocking full plasma and warden armor it's pretty intense.

I wonder if they should allow shadow chamber products to occur concurrently with normal research. I feel like that's a big part of the 'victory lap' . You research all the weapons/armor you want, then you have a month+ of shadow chamber research to chew through. I don't know if the victory lap is even that bad of a thing, since it's nice to be able to play with all of your toys for more than just a final mission.

The covert ops to reduce Avatar progress definitely messes with the progression of the game by giving you 0 motivation to progress the story missions.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The price of success as the Assassin stronghold

5 majors/2 were faction classes. RIP.

I learned you need to into those way overprepared. Though it was fine until 2 Andromedans showed up with pinpoint accuracy across the room.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Any idea yet if the Chosen have unique lines at the final mission? If no one knows I may just fight them all at once with the Avatars to see what happens.

Sylink posted:

I learned you need to into those way overprepared. Though it was fine until 2 Andromedans showed up with pinpoint accuracy across the room.

I think I'll wait for plasma/warden to do those. I'm confident I can weather the Chosen Avenger Defenses with minimal losses. I was reading the sarcophagus counts as robotic for bonuses though so maybe with a lucky gunslinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

vosk posted:

I wonder if they should allow shadow chamber products to occur concurrently with normal research. I feel like that's a big part of the 'victory lap' . You research all the weapons/armor you want, then you have a month+ of shadow chamber research to chew through. I don't know if the victory lap is even that bad of a thing, since it's nice to be able to play with all of your toys for more than just a final mission.

The covert ops to reduce Avatar progress definitely messes with the progression of the game by giving you 0 motivation to progress the story missions.

I never felt pressured by the avatar bar in base commander-diff games, they generally gave you enough to pretty much thwart it indefinitely, just by timing out facility sabotages and some of the plot missions

Darkrenown posted:

On of their perks unlocks melee attacks BTW. They are very mobile too, especially if you buff them further via Covert ops. I think they pair quite well with a Reaper since if you have scouted the area you can grapple/run around for sick flanks. Also if you get the mod to fix Battlerlord so it actually reacts to all moves as it says it should and have an expanded mag you can get some crazy results.

I'm on my victory lap at the moment and i've seen all their abilities, and for completion's sake unlocked them all with xcom points since i didnt have anything crucial to buy with them. The fact that their melee attack has a 3 turn cooldown is ridiculous considering the shenanigans you can get with pretty much every other class w/ minimal investment, and since it's a melee perk it already comes with the drawback of being melee

I mean sure you can do anything with mods, but i'm not talking about mods since i'm not using anything but appearance mods

Sylink posted:

You don't have to be overprepared, you just need the right guys and weapon. I took the assassin out with mag weapons and predator armor, and she's probably the most difficult (I took out the hunter/warlock with plasma/warden and came out of both with no soldiers injured). Battle scanners and the reaper mark ability work well on her

Sloober fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 5, 2017