Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

If we can't burn our face off we can at least risk getting caught red handed. Search the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
We're a noble warrior, not some common thief.

Follow

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Agreed- Follow

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Search, he might be in on it.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
We have an empty room and wish to loot it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Search

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

UnwiseTrout posted:

If we can't burn our face off we can at least risk getting caught red handed. Search the room.
What's he going to do if he catches us anyway? It's not like there's anyone else who can get the magic sword and save the world.

Fire on the Water posted:

Keeping one eye on the door, you quickly search the drawers of an ornate chart table. There does not appear to be anything unusual about the contents. You find mainly charts, island maps, and navigational instruments. You are about to abandon this fruitless search when you notice a small lever hidden below the tabletop. You push it and a panel flips open to reveal a small wooden box with a brass lock.
We don't have a key or any way to pick the lock, but we could pretty easily break it open. The captain would obviously know we'd done it though. Or we could just put it back where we found it and leave.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Let's not smash up other people's stuff. Leave.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Break it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Leave. It's not like the captain is suspicious already.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Leave. If there's poo poo going on we should be out there to handle it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Leave. If the captain was a bad guy we'd already be in much deeper poo poo.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
If the capitain had no secrets to hide why would he have a hidding place?

Break it open

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

Leave. It's not like the captain is suspicious already.
This is actually a really good call. Turns out the box is booby-trapped and if you break it open you die.

‘It seems our bird has flown,’ says the captain, pointing to a longboat moving swiftly towards another ship on the horizon. ‘She flies no flag, and her hull is of a strange shape. I’ve ne’er before seen the like.’

You watch as the longboat reaches the mysterious ship. As if by magic a sea fog appears from nowhere and engulfs the vessel. Moments later, both the ship and the fog have disappeared.

The crew start to whisper. You hear the words ‘ghost-ship’ and ‘cursed voyage’, but the muttering stops when the captain’s voice booms out an order for all hands on deck. Only the creaking of the timbers can be heard as Captain Kelman climbs to the rear deck to address the crew.

‘Men, we’re three days’ sail from Port Bax. The fire has robbed us of our provisions and our freshwater has been fouled. We shall have to steer a new course for Ragadorn, where we shall make good our repairs and replenish our stores. That is all.’

The crew seem pleased by the captain’s announcement, and set about their duties with renewed vigour.

Then the captain turns to you. ‘We’re about eight hours from Ragadorn, my lord. My orders are to see you safely to Port Bax and pass you into the care of the Sommlending consul, Lord-lieutenant Rhygar. But time is not our ally and I fear the repairs may take a week or more to complete. When we drop anchor, you will have to find your own route to Durenor—by sea with us or alone by the coast road.’

As you return to your cabin, the King’s words haunt your thoughts: ‘Forty days, Lone Wolf. We only have strength to stand against them for forty days.’ You do not have long to complete your dangerous mission.

As dawn breaks, a fierce storm rises and you are woken by the violent rocking of the ship. The floor of your cabin is awash, and the shouts of the crew can hardly be heard above the howling wind. You quickly dress, gather up your equipment, and make your way to the deck.

You are soon joined by the captain, who takes hold of your arm and orders you to return to your cabin. Suddenly, as you start to go down, there is a thunderous crack as, high in the rigging, part of the mast snaps. You look up to see the shattered pole falling towards you.

You dive backwards, but only just in time to avoid the falling mast as it smashes straight through the deck. You stagger upright and peer into the mass of shattered timbers. Pinned beneath the broken mast is the lifeless body of Captain Kelman.

As you stare in horror, a loud crack fills the air as the storm breaks open the already damaged hull of the Green Sceptre. As the ship breaks up you are hurled over the side and into the raging sea.

Gasping for air, you claw your way up to the surface but strike your head on a hatch cover. Lose 1 ENDURANCE point and pull yourself onto this makeshift raft. If you are wearing a Chainmail Waistcoat, you must discard this now or you will surely drown. In the grey light of the storm, you watch as the broken ship sinks beneath the heaving sea. You are feeling dizzy and very sick. Hanging on to the cover with all your strength, you gradually slip into unconsciousness.

When you eventually awake, the storm has passed. The only trace of the Green Sceptre is the hatch cover on which you lie. By the position of the sun you suppose it to be late afternoon. In the distance, you can see a small fishing boat and beyond it, the coastline stretches out along the horizon.
We now have the option of either waving to the fishing boat or trying to swim to shore.

This section is unavoidable and, depending on a roll of the die, you either lose 1 EP and your Chainmail Waistoat, lose 2 EP and your Chainmail Waistcoat, or you just die. I could have warned you at the start not to pick the Chainmail Waistcoat, but I feel like losing it is part of the genuine experience of playing this book. I'm not bothering to note the Endurance loss though because Healing once again negates it immediately.

There was another die roll in the middle of that update that had the result of skipping a small section in which we could have chosen to dine with either the captain or the crew. Like most of the luck rolls in the early sections of this book, it seems pretty pointless, but we're not really missing anything of value so I went with it. But, good news - we've reached the part of the book where we get to make meaningful decisions and it stops just relentlessly punishing anyone who didn't pick Healing.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A fishing boat that just happens to be around when there are no other survivors around you? Especially when the guy who's trying to kill us got away in a boat on the previous update?

My Ackbar senses are tingling. Let's swim for shore.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Why swim for the shore when we can get someone else to row us to the shore?

Wave to the fishing boat.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

We are not waving but drowning swimming to shore.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Getting the waistcoat only to lose it so early on was such a dick move. :argh: It was so very tempting to warn you guys but I agree with Tiggum. ;)

The fishing boat may have more assassins. Let's swim to shore.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Go the distance and swim for shore.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Denver. :argh:

Swim to shore.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Swim to shore, punch sharks en route if necessary.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

anakha posted:

A fishing boat that just happens to be around when there are no other survivors around you? Especially when the guy who's trying to kill us got away in a boat on the previous update?
I'd never thought of the ghost ship as being the saboteur getting away, but I guess that makes sense. I don't think the fishing boat is related in any way though.

Kangra posted:

We are not waving but drowning swimming to shore.

When you are only fifty yards offshore, you slip into the waves and swim towards land. When you finally reach the beach, you sink your fingers deep into the wet sand and slowly claw your way up the beach to the shelter of some dunes. You are exhausted and very hungry. The only possessions that you have saved are your Gold Crowns, your Backpack, and any Special Items that you did not discard in the storm. Any Weapons and Backpack Items that you possessed before the storm have been lost. Make the necessary adjustment to your Action Chart. However, a few hundred yards away, you notice clumps of small twisted trees laden with purple fruit.

The training that you received in the art of Hunting has taught you to recognize most of the poisonous and non-poisonous fruits to be found in northern Magnamund. These purple fruits are larnuma, a sweet and nutritious food. You quickly eat your fill and then store enough of them in your Backpack for 2 Meals.

Beyond the larnuma trees, you notice a wide coast road that disappears towards the east and the west.
I don't know how we managed to hold onto the backpack but lost the items it contained. Must be a pretty lovely backpack. But that's the prince's sword, our original axe, a dagger, a bar of soap, five meals and 25 Gold Crowns we'll never see again. We still have 50 Crowns though, - the 25 was just the extra that we were storing in our backpack - and these two meals we just picked up. Our lack of weapons means we'll be fighting at a -4 penalty to Combat Skill until we find a replacement, but our Shield and Mindblast grant +4 between them, so we're still at 17.

And the question now is, do we want to head east or west? We were near Ragadorn before the storm, which you can find near the centre of our map (which somehow survived the shipwreck). Our goal is to reach Hammerdal in Durenor.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

While west is the most leftmost of cardinal directions, from our perspective after swimming to shore East is to our left.

Also, now that its gone, did that soap have any use in the previous book or was it just there to trick the reader into wasting backpack space?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Also, now that its gone, did that soap have any use in the previous book or was it just there to trick the reader into wasting backpack space?
It's completely useless.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Assuming we're near Ragadorn, Hammerdal is due east, so head that way.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
East

Pray before heading out if Lone Wolf's inclined.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

gently caress, there goes the soap. Go East.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

anakha posted:

Assuming we're near Ragadorn, Hammerdal is due east, so head that way.

This.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

East it is then.

You walk for over three hours along the lonely coast road before night begins to fall. You are very tired and you decide to get some sleep and continue at dawn. You remember the tales told by your Kai masters of the Wildlands between Sommerlund and Durenor, where packs of wild dogs roam the wastelands at night.

With these stories in mind, you decide to spend the night in the safety of a large leafy tree at the edge of the road.

Although you awake to a cold and rain-swept dawn, the branches of the tree and your Kai cloak have kept you warm and dry during the night. Looking along the coast road, in the distance you can see a wagon heading towards you.

We could climb down and introduce ourself like a civilised person, or we could jump straight from the tree to the wagon as it passes below us.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Jumping sounds dangerous but we don't have weapons if they're hostile. Except Mindblast. Stick out our thumb.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Jump sounds funnier of the two so go with that.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Jumping sounds dangerous but we don't have weapons if they're hostile.

The only weapon the Kai need is surprise. Jump.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ask for a ride. We're not hijacking it to go to Cuba.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Between the choices of boring or ninjaing, I'm always going to vote for more ninjaing.

Ninja into the wagon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

UnwiseTrout posted:

The only weapon the Kai need is surprise. Jump.
Might as well.

As you jump, you are spotted by the driver. He quickly stops the coach and turns to confront you, a sword already in his hand.
Well, we could quickly apologise and offer to pay for a ticket like a normal person, or we could go all in on the ninja thing and attack him.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Keep your opponent on their toes, always. Offer to pay for a ticket.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We still got some money. Taxi? :D

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I shall use my Uber ap and pay.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

We may be a crazy murderhobo who jumps out of the blue in front of taxis, but we're civilized crazy murderhobos. We'll Pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Fight