Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

On one hand, I'm a GA guy at heart, and I don't want to gently caress up anyone's ability to go flying.

On the other, we don't let cars with no turn signals, headlights, windshield, or brake lights on the road, either. Maybe we shouldn't still be catering to the height of 1925 aviation technology.

It's a conundrum.

We get at least one guy a day that happens to be talking to us and misses traffic by less than a mile at the same altitude, because we called it to him. That means there's at least one other guy out there that pooped himself when he was suddenly confronted with close-in traffic he never saw coming. Have ADS-B traffic if you can, have a radio, get flight following whenever it's practical.

Use the tools available to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rekinom posted:

Nice to see the GA crowd hasn't lost its aw shucks folksy charm.

God dammed farmer Johns all over the place

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Rekinom posted:

I know this is #firstworldproblems, but I'm really looking forward to the day when I can be a widebody pilot.

Do you value your sanity, social life and sleeping patterns... Thought Not :zombie:

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

hjp766 posted:

Do you value your sanity, social life and sleeping patterns... Thought Not :zombie:

Hell, if I wanted any of that, I wouldn't have had kids.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
If you've got a radio having it on makes sense, but I don't see it as a major problem (especially in the UK). I had my radio fail once on an island in scotland and my only way home was nordo. Perhaps it's different here as the radio system isn't particularly well joined up at low level and in some areas you have a choice of a number of different services.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Bob A Feet posted:

Deaf people fly?

I personally think any sort of NORDO flying is not only unsafe but irresponsible. I fly 99% VFR so NORDO/ no squawk traffic scares the poo poo out of me. Maybe I just have a low tolerance for safety stuff but I'd never take off without a radio.

I mean I guess if you're flying from your local dirt strip to your farm and your 300' and below but even those guys talk on radios.

Deaf people fly. There are aircraft without electrical systems. There are even people in the US flying :frogsiren:without pilots licenses:frogsiren: under Part 103 Ultralight regulations where the aircraft is basically tubing, some fabric and a lawnmower engine. "See and Avoid" is just part of being a pilot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of safety technology. My normal rental has TIS traffic alerts, and my flight bag has a spare radio and a PLB since most rental aircraft still have 121.5 ELTs. If you have radios and transponders you should use them. But I also fly aircraft that don't have them like Piper Cubs occasionally. And I don't see that as particularly bad.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fordan posted:

"See and Avoid" is just part of being a pilot. playing admittedly pretty decent odds.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

If you're going to do that, at least cross out the right section. "Being a pilot is playing admittedly pretty decent odds." Radios help, transponders help, "See and Avoid" helps, controllers help, but there's still risk, and that F-16 may still hit your aircraft.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't believe see and avoid actually helps any more than random chance. Nobody sees poo poo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
People are idiots. Pilots are flying idiots.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Ferret King posted:

I don't believe see and avoid actually helps any more than random chance. Nobody sees poo poo.

I see things sometimes, but it's definitely easier when I know where to look because the other plane has been making radio calls.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

I agree that the "Big Sky Small Plane" theory plays a much bigger part in keeping most people safe. But that breaks down near airports. See and Avoid has helped me identify an aircraft with a strong likelihood of colliding with me and avoid it (was on right downwind for Rwy 1, guy was announcing via CTAF he was on a 45 for right downwind for 1 but he was really on a 45 for a left downwind for Rwy 19 and basically aimed right for me). Radios were involved, transponders were on (not that that helped), but it was S&A that identified the threat, and my maneuvering to turn away that triggered the other aircraft to see me and realize his mistake (and do a 135-ish degree turn to get on to downwind behind me).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If he hadn't announced at all I wonder when you would have seen him.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Radios are a safety enhancement/capability increase that were originally an added layer on top of see and avoid, which was (and still is, or should be) the basic airmanship tenet. But now, due to their ubiquity, have for many people supplanted that tenet. That leads them to treat NORDO flying like some sort of cowboy or dangerous attitude. From the viewpoint of someone that learned to fly in the era when that was the status quo, that would be an extremely bizarre thing to hear.

Kinda like autopilots.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Crossposting from the AIRPOWER thread, Delta beats Irma: https://twitter.com/i/moments/905487561182908416

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Deaf people and NORDO flying, another reason I avoid GA like the plague.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'm glad I fly out of the DC SFRA and therefore radios are more or less mandatory. I don't get the mindset of anyone who would fly without at least a portable that they can receive CTAF calls with. I understand some airplanes don't have electrical systems or workload may not permit transmission (have heard this from glider pilots), but receive-only capability costs $200 and requires very little effort.

Back in July I came uncomfortably close (could see the pilots shirt color) to a 172 in a classic high wing vs low wing situation approaching an uncontrolled field. If that guy had bothered to make a call or two, I'd probably have modified my approach a little to avoid his general area. "see and avoid" is a cop out, we can do better.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

sanchez posted:

but receive-only capability costs $200 and requires very little effort.

No, you can get a transceiver for $200:
https://www.pilotmall.com/product/Yaesu-FTA-550-AA-Handheld-VHF-Transceiver/transceivers
https://www.pilotmall.com/product/ICOM-A14-Transceiver-Li-ion/transceivers

A bit more and you get a NAV receiver of unknown usefulness:
http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/2893
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/avionics-and-radios/aviation-radios/sporty-s-radios/sporty-s-sp-400-handheld-nav-com-aviation-radio.html

In the context of aviation these things are very cheap.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Plus you can turn on pilot controlled lighting when you drive by airports on road trips, the possibilities are limitless.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

fordan posted:

...and that F-16 may still hit your aircraft.

Because I guarantee no GA pilot ever looks at where he's going, sees the little light blue line on the sectional that says "VR-422," and has any idea what it is and why he should consider avoiding it.

I mean, I didn't when I was getting my private license either, I'm not blameless here. But still.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

overdesigned posted:

Because I guarantee no GA pilot ever looks at where he's going, sees the little light blue line on the sectional that says "VR-422," and has any idea what it is and why he should consider avoiding it.

I mean, I didn't when I was getting my private license either, I'm not blameless here. But still.

Well the last F16 that collided with a GA aircraft was operating on a vector in normal airspace. Avoiding military routes won't always work. Also neither will radios. TCAS does a pretty good job.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Good scan is fairly important, I've flown with a few people who barely seem to look out the window when flying vfr.
Here's a picture

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm getting hosed so hard by Teterboro gate holding right now.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

vessbot posted:

Radios are a safety enhancement/capability increase that were originally an added layer on top of see and avoid, which was (and still is, or should be) the basic airmanship tenet. But now, due to their ubiquity, have for many people supplanted that tenet. That leads them to treat NORDO flying like some sort of cowboy or dangerous attitude. From the viewpoint of someone that learned to fly in the era when that was the status quo, that would be an extremely bizarre thing to hear.

Kinda like autopilots.

I think this dude is right on point.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

I'm getting hosed so hard by Teterboro gate holding right now.

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzM3aaypEYo

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

sanchez posted:

I'm glad I fly out of the DC SFRA and therefore radios are more or less mandatory. I don't get the mindset of anyone who would fly without at least a portable that they can receive CTAF calls with. I understand some airplanes don't have electrical systems or workload may not permit transmission (have heard this from glider pilots), but receive-only capability costs $200 and requires very little effort.

Back in July I came uncomfortably close (could see the pilots shirt color) to a 172 in a classic high wing vs low wing situation approaching an uncontrolled field. If that guy had bothered to make a call or two, I'd probably have modified my approach a little to avoid his general area. "see and avoid" is a cop out, we can do better.

Where do you fly out of? I did my private at KVKX and instructed at KMTN.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Effed in the Ayyyy by TEB.

Gate hold told us we were at least 2 hours in line and to STAY ON THE LINE for updates. We couldn't get a GPU so we just called every 30 min and bugged the poo poo out of them.

3 hours later we left and picked up a 100 knot headwind. GUH.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

whats up D.C. Folk. I'm out of KJYO. Or at least hope to be once I take and pass my checkride.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

FME. I did my PPL written at MTN, looked like a large training operation up there.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Just got done with my first IOE trip as a captain. Didn't get hit by a NORDO 172. Can confirm NORDO flying is safe. My taxiing on the other hand...

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

KodiakRS posted:

Can confirm NORDO flying is safe.

I feel safe when I'm completely ignorant of everything going on around me too

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

sanchez posted:

FME. I did my PPL written at MTN, looked like a large training operation up there.

You probably took the written at the school I taught at

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Bob A Feet posted:

Complete ignorance of everything going on around you is by choice.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

With your head that far up your own rear end it's no wonder you think so little of 'see and avoid'.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Pilots can't see poo poo. It's a big sky. End of discussion.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

vessbot posted:

Complete ignorance of everything going on around you is by choice.

This is a thread about aviation not philosophizing about the American condition

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

This is a thread about aviation not philosophizing about the American condition

:smugdon:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Op update please

Just passed my MEI ride!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Ok, I need some assurance on this, but I am planning an IFR flight to Burlington, VT (KBTV) for later this week and on Foreflight, it's giving me this for a "last cleared by ATC" route: KRME USICI V196 RIGID V141 KEESE KBTV by a piston at 7,000. As I have a piston aircraft (Cherokee 180) and I want to file 7,000, this is great but on the IFR Low sector chart, between SLK and RIGID on V196, the MEA for eastbound flights is 9,000. As far as I understand, I can file 7,000 (since it's my initial altitude) but I'd have to at least start a climb to 9,000 after passing SLK and then I could descend back to 7,000 after RIGID since the aircraft is /G. Foreflight also usually gives a warning if you're below an MEA but it didn't in this case. It just seems dumb to have to climb to 9,000 just for 23 mile stretch. The MORAs in that area are also above 7k so I can't use that either to be lower. Is this how it's normally done? I'd assume that ATC is expecting me to start that climb after passing the SLK VOR but can they tell me to ignore the MEA and just stay at 7,000? Of course if they give me "direct" to anything while I'm at 7,000 and it's above their minimum vectoring altitude, that I can stay there as well. I'm just kind of new to this "mountain" flying and being so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just file direct and let ATC amend your clearance.

:ironicat: