Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A large number of Australians clearly give greater allegiance to the LGBTI than they give to their country. Their demands for SSM have split this country brother against brother and heterosexual against homosexual and that division will continue for a lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for August:

Highlights from last month's thread:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tony Abbott know's nothing about computer.

He has been commissioned to conduct a vote.

So it must adjust the sample is 80 per cent of the Australian adult public on the old Cemetery and once you start digging you hit a lot of skeletons.

Anidav posted:

Yeah, George Brandis has been likened to “slavery” by the way is more common than you think.

Then you will have the vocal minority who will be paying young people could voluntarily earn $200 a fortnight — which as BuzzFeed News identified could equate to as little $4 an hour to pull beers (and maybe other stuff? But probably mainly pouring drinks). In addition to paying interns extremely low wages, the government will also be a change of government, I would find it very hard to build trust with members of a political party that had been asked until after the Federal Court on Friday ordered a raft of pirate websites be blocked in Australia.

Village Roadshow - backed by Warner Bros, Paramount, Universal, Disney and 21st Century Fox - and Foxtel sought orders under the Copyright Act, which requires ISPs to block access to pirate anymore because movies are now available in a decade.

the old ceremony posted:

if the wretch hanson dares approach me i will suck her into the anaconda embrace of my big reasons for wanting to stab you, i would recommend being raised in a jewish perspective on issues that needs to be ok

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Wife: :wrong:

say hello.jpg
Feb 16, 2012
Personally I think the best Australian game (well mod really) was team fortress. Also I'm pretty sure steam was one of the TF software guys pet project after valve picked them up.

I'm also surprised no ones mentioned Mad Max/ On the beach (the original not the lovely remake) as good Australian movies?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Postal survey on funding Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 4.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
all of these beloved things came out literally decades ago

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

snoremac posted:

Postal survey on funding Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 4.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287840/TY_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_4/

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Struth!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Australia was responsible for Microsoft Game Room and Blade Kitten. We deserve nothing.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

the old ceremony posted:

i'm going back for my second degree but my first is from cofa so it doesn't count. cofa doesn't even exist anymore

what up cofa buddy

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Dick Smith is launching an advertising campaign against ABC TV news and current affairs, which he says has warped the debate he has tried to spur over Australian population growth.

He claims both Labor and Liberal politicians have told him they agree that Australia needs to cut its immigration intake to avoid future social and environmental fracturing, but they say they cannot say so publicly because the ABC will label them racist.

"This is warping our democratic process, it is basically treasonous," the businessman and publisher told Fairfax Media.

He claims ABC television's news and current affairs has deliberately ignored his campaign over the issue. In recent weeks Mr Smith has spent $1 million in advertising promoting his campaign to have Australia adopt a policy that would slash immigration numbers to around 70,000 - around the levels of the Hawke and Keating era - in order to see population level off at around 30,000,000.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Lid posted:

Australia needs to cut its immigration intake to avoid future social and environmental fracturing, but they say they cannot say so publicly because the ABC will label them racist,

Well I mean if the shoe fits and you're a complete dickhead...

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Lid posted:

Dick Smith is launching an advertising campaign against ABC TV news and current affairs, which he says has warped the debate he has tried to spur over Australian population growth.

He claims both Labor and Liberal politicians have told him they agree that Australia needs to cut its immigration intake to avoid future social and environmental fracturing, but they say they cannot say so publicly because the ABC will label them racist.

"This is warping our democratic process, it is basically treasonous," the businessman and publisher told Fairfax Media.

He claims ABC television's news and current affairs has deliberately ignored his campaign over the issue. In recent weeks Mr Smith has spent $1 million in advertising promoting his campaign to have Australia adopt a policy that would slash immigration numbers to around 70,000 - around the levels of the Hawke and Keating era - in order to see population level off at around 30,000,000.

I'd concentrate more on stopping people loving for reproduction than immigration but that's just me.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Starshark posted:

I'd concentrate more on stopping people loving for reproduction than immigration but that's just me.

I thought we had close to a negative birth rate, and the only reason Australias population was growing was because of immigration.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

NPR Journalizard posted:

I thought we had close to a negative birth rate, and the only reason Australias population was growing was because of immigration.

God I loving hope so.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Episodes of UTOPIA being discussed by Federal Bureaucracy, email trail to appear in forthcoming episode

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

Correct opinions on things.

Bad Boy Bubby owns.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hell Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister were basically instructional videos.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Lmao

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

NPR Journalizard posted:

Australia has had a negative birth rate for decades. It's around 1.7 per woman when 2.1 is the actual replacement rate. Net immigration is one of the factors that is increasing our population.

The other major driver is the rapid increase in life expectancy over the last century. This means we dont have as many deaths as births at the moment. This will swing around when the baby boomers start to die in droves.

Tldr : Kill baby boomers

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Conservatives are gonna scream when the boomers die out and they look at the next generation and it's nothing but bearded baristas and half asian cyborg retail workers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's going to be sick when the boomers die. Gen X have remained moderately cool and millennials own in general. Good times ahead.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

Conservatives are gonna scream when the boomers die out and they look at the next generation and it's nothing but bearded baristas and half asian cyborg retail workers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/conservative-voters-dying-off-lord-michael-heseltine-tory-part-elderly-support-base-pensioners-a7798386.html posted:

Former Conservative deputy prime minister Michael Heseltine has warned the electoral base is dying off at a rate of 2 per cent a year and has called for a new party leader.

Lord Heseltine, who worked with Margaret Thatcher and was deputy to John Major, said the party needs to work hard to “restore its electoral forturnes” and that Theresa May should step down after a “matter of months”.

The 84-year-old’s comments come weeks after the Tory party failed to achieve an overall majority in Parliament while Labour enjoyed a gain of more than 30 seats, defying the polls and commentators.

Reaction to May and Corbyn on mosque visit very different, video shows

“One thing which is just worth having in mind, and you can't do anything about it, 2 per cent of the older part of the electorate die every year - they are 70 per cent Conservative,” Lord Heseltine told Sky News.

”Another 2 per cent come in at the young end of the electorate - they are about 70 per cent Labour. That's about 2 per cent change each year. There isn't that much time.“

The Brexit sceptic claimed that Ms May could “do the party a service by holding on a little” but should ultimately step down to make way for a new leader and a new party policy in a few months.

Ms May is facing increasing pressure to resign after a bungled initial Brexit meeting with EU counterparts and is being criticised for her efforts to strike a deal with the DUP, a socially conservative Northern Irish party. Repeated terrorist attacks at London Bridge and Finsbury Park have pushed back the Queen’s speech as well as talks with the DUP.

The prime minister has also been accused of “hiding” from the electorate during the campaign, on the scene of terrorist incidents and during the Grenfell Tower fire disaster.

Days before a fire swept through a tower block, killing at least 79 people, Ms May’s government had vowed that “austerity was over” and that the electorate wanted to be offered hope and better living standards after years of cuts to public services.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

It's going to be sick when the boomers die. Gen X have remained moderately cool and millennials own in general. Good times ahead.

As someone who is entering a health profession in ~a year, I have had two separate deadly serious lectures about how boomers are going to have extremely high expectations and how to deal with that from a healthy perspective.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

As someone who is entering a health profession in ~a year, I have had two separate deadly serious lectures about how boomers are going to have extremely high expectations and how to deal with that from a healthy perspective.

:gas:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

For every dead boomer there's a Caleb Bond just waiting to take their place.

Zenithe posted:

The answer is to have a well resourced health care system. What will be presented as the answer is more private care, a hollowing out of the public system and pouring scorn on those too poor to afford insurance.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Zenithe posted:

boomers are going to have extremely high expectations
as in they expect to never die, lol

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
if i ran a hospital i would make a rule that any boomer who is racist toward the nurses is kicked out immediately, even if they're mid-surgery (i wouldn't be running the hospital for very long, but the flame that burns brightest...)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

the old ceremony posted:

as in they expect to never die, lol

More that they expect rehab activities to fully restore things back to the way they were. Which would be great, but mostly it's wrong and impossible.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The weirdest thing?

On Steam the Ty the Tasmanian Tiger re-release has been top of the indie section in terms of user reviews for several months now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Zenithe posted:

More that they expect rehab activities to fully restore things back to the way they were. Which would be great, but mostly it's wrong and impossible.

More that they expect nursing homes to be more like holiday camps which they absolutely are not. One of the interesting points of agreement between the major parties is that boomers are expected to partly fund this themselves given they are a huge demographic going senile at once. People remember Bishop and her kero baths but that industry is still lightly treated because they still can't afford to run them out of town.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
e: nvm. Turns out Melbourne House weren't Australian when Way of the Exploding Fist was released, go figure.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I've always wondered why retirement villages in the Pacific aren't more popular. For the rates you pay to live in an Australian nursing home you could live in luxury in somewhere like Fiji. Would be good for the Fijian economy too.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The only correct answer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlords_(game_series)

-/-

Fiji - Stinking hot and humid full of fuzzy wuzzies with attitude. Yeah I can see why Aussie old folk would want to go there.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

I've always wondered why retirement villages in the Pacific aren't more popular. For the rates you pay to live in an Australian nursing home you could live in luxury in somewhere like Fiji. Would be good for the Fijian economy too.

A not so subtle undercurrent of racism, and the belief that good white folk can look after the elderly much better than those darkies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

open24hours posted:

For every dead boomer there's a Caleb Bond just waiting to take their place.

The answer is to have a well resourced health care system. What will be presented as the answer is more private care, a hollowing out of the public system and pouring scorn on those too poor to afford insurance.

The answer is to loving end them.

NPR Journalizard posted:

A not so subtle undercurrent of racism, and the belief that good white folk can look after the elderly much better than those darkies.

I went to Mexico some time ago and met a retirement community of white Americans and Mexican-Americans that had moved over the border. They were basically like "I couldn't afford to retire in the United States on my 401k, so I live here and drive over the border to punch my ticket when I have to" and they were eating fresh fish and living like legends in the Baja sunshine. The local community enjoyed them being there as well since they spent money and were pretty pleasant people. Seemed like a good way to go.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 6, 2017

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
The answer is to merge aged care with child care - oldies go senile slower because they love kids, anything goes wrong during playtime the kid has the medical facilities of aged care.

Most of the people actually working with oldies day-to-day have titles like "recreation therapist" anyway, (good) old people homes are just kindergartens for the other end of peoples lives.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Zenithe posted:

I would love the details on what those expectations are, no foreigners wiping their rear end? A hill to watch the young toil under their dying gaze?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Tarantula posted:

I would love the details on what those expectations are, no foreigners wiping their rear end? A hill to watch the young toil under their dying gaze?

It's a bit more specific in my field (audiology). Basically, they expect hearing aids to restore their original hearing, which is basically impossible once you have more than a mild hearing loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

asio posted:

The answer is to merge aged care with child care - oldies go senile slower because they love kids, anything goes wrong during playtime the kid has the medical facilities of aged care.

Most of the people actually working with oldies day-to-day have titles like "recreation therapist" anyway, (good) old people homes are just kindergartens for the other end of peoples lives.

Not sure I trust a generation of people that have produced more nonces in history having unrestricted access to kids without supervision.

• Locked thread