Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recently discovered a forensic procedural from the 1990s called The Profiler, which starred Ally Walker (who I'll always know as the female lead from the first Universal Soldier movie). I haven't seen any episodes of it but it sounds interesting because descriptions indicate that, like the first season of Millennium, of which it was a contemporary, it was a sort of precursor to the like of Criminal Minds, and it was set apart from other 90s police procedurals in that it had an ongoing plot that supplemented its episodic stories.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there a topic on this forum years ago about a totally weird and obscure 90s sci-fi-ish show that had ridiculously primitive cgi?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there a topic on this forum years ago about a totally weird and obscure 90s sci-fi-ish show that had ridiculously primitive cgi?

You're going to have to narrow that down a lot more.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Milo and POTUS posted:

LEXX?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Space above and beyond the first wave's maximum headroom of the 5th babylonian dark skies from the farthest scapes of the red dwarf.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ynohtna posted:

Space above and beyond the first wave's maximum headroom of the dark skies from the farthest scapes of the red dwarf.

...to the Earth's final conflict.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Against the Alien Nation?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Snak posted:

That show had to have set a record for main character turnover. They had 3 different leads in 5 seasons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ynohtna posted:

Space above and beyond the first wave's maximum headroom of the 5th babylonian dark skies from the farthest scapes of the red dwarf.

Space Above and Beyond was pretty dang good for how obviously they cheaped out on certain things. You can actually see the actors miming recoil on their guns but Fox didn't want to pay for the effects so only like 1 in 10 had any muzzle flash.

Hell of a series finale too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want new sci-fi. Incursion, Steven S DeKnight, where the loving gently caress is my Incursion...?

Band of Space Brothers. Get right on that Sir...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Expanse and The 100 are my two favorite scifi shows right now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Space Above and Beyond was pretty dang good for how obviously they cheaped out on certain things. You can actually see the actors miming recoil on their guns but Fox didn't want to pay for the effects so only like 1 in 10 had any muzzle flash.

Hell of a series finale too.

Didn't it end with a cliffhanger like 90% of all Fox shows?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Didn't it end with a cliffhanger like 90% of all Fox shows?

Sort of? Everyone dies basically but you could write a few of them out of it if you were renewed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

I was with The 100 for season 2 and most of season 3, but it's kind of stunk since then and descended back into "advancing the plot through abject stupidity."

What I'm looking forward to is Philp K. Dick's Electric Dreams. I really hope it doesn't suck, because the world deserves a better sci-fi anthology series than Black Mirror.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snak posted:

The Expanse may be the best sci-fi show ever made.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I am sad that I have watched all 4 seasons of Taskmaster because there are no more yet. If you have not watched it you should. It's silly but in the best way and I hope the US version doesn't suck although I know it will.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

The Expanse may be the best sci-fi show ever made.

It really nails what I loved about S1-part of 3 of BSG without getting too up its own rear end. It helps I enjoyed the books, but it takes enough departures that I'm still hooked.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really liked the episode about creating essentially the first warp drive equivalent. Way more brutal than similar Star Trek episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is dorky elitist gatekeeping, but it's made for fans of hard sci-fi, not a general audience. It's not perfect hard sci-fi (because you just can't simulate living in zero G on earth) but they try really hard and I appreciate that. One of my favorite things about realistic near-future sci-fi is that focuses on difficult, dangerous and counter-intuitive life in space is and the Expanse really tries to hit that hard.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Croatoan posted:

I am sad that I have watched all 4 seasons of Taskmaster because there are no more yet. If you have not watched it you should. It's silly but in the best way and I hope the US version doesn't suck although I know it will.

Good news is the 5th season of the original should be starting soonish. I wish it was easier to find Taskmaster videos on youtube, but they are all region blocked. The US version will suck if only for the fact that whoever the host is they could never live up to Greg Davies. Mainly because the network wont let them and partially because he is just so drat perfect in the role. Also might suck because despite being an American I know far more British comedians than American ones. At least ones that go on panel shows.

esperterra posted:

I like Cameron just fine, I like lovely people as characters, but I agree the writers are a little too far up her rear end 90% of the time. It's so satisfying when she actually stumbles and fails, or gets called out on her poo poo with actual consequences, but it doesn't happen often enough.

I think they've done a decent job humbling her a little more this season, but I'm yet to watch this week's episode so that could change between episodes 3 and 4.

Going to watch now, actually.

e: fwiw I think Donna's heel turn and their falling out was an incredible way to explore just how lovely Cameron had been to her, and while I think it feels a little rushed due to the time skips I am enjoying Donna's position now. I can fully buy her becoming this person, but it does feel unearned and weird without seeing more of that journey. It's like we saw the build up, skipped everything important in the middle, and now she's just a cutthroat executive.

I dont mind Donna being an rear end in a top hat. It just kind of felt like the writers wrote it in a way that it was all Donna's fault everything turned to poo poo. But totally not super awesome genius Cameron who can do no wrong even when completely ignoring her business and the people who depend on it. All because she is a genius and society should just bend to her will. She really ended up treating Donna like poo poo last season and I think the writers wanted us to be on Cameron's side.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DurosKlav posted:

I dont mind Donna being an rear end in a top hat. It just kind of felt like the writers wrote it in a way that it was all Donna's fault everything turned to poo poo. But totally not super awesome genius Cameron who can do no wrong even when completely ignoring her business and the people who depend on it. All because she is a genius and society should just bend to her will. She really ended up treating Donna like poo poo last season and I think the writers wanted us to be on Cameron's side.

I didn't get the vibe we were supposed to fully side with Cameron, myself, but I do agree it skewed more toward her. Donna was fed up with a lot more than just Cameron last season, though, dealing with everything going on with Gordon and the fallout of that, as well.

Granted I haven't seen the last season since it aired, so I may be remembering some things wrong. Cameron was played up more as a petulant child who simply can't work with others, to the point it had to blow up in her face somehow. That said the sudden turn from Donna was definitely meant to be seen as a big blow to the 'good guys' in general, not just Cameron herself iirc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recently discovered a forensic procedural from the 1990s called The Profiler, which starred Ally Walker (who I'll always know as the female lead from the first Universal Soldier movie). I haven't seen any episodes of it but it sounds interesting because descriptions indicate that, like the first season of Millennium, of which it was a contemporary, it was a sort of precursor to the like of Criminal Minds, and it was set apart from other 90s police procedurals in that it had an ongoing plot that supplemented its episodic stories.

Any thoughts?

I remember enjoying it back in the day but that was when it was originally airing. Its a procedural but also has the overarching plot and has some good supporting characters with Patrick Bauchau and Jon Gries. Also Jeffrey Donovan eventually shows up in a minor role for a couple of episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Profiling used to be such a huge plot device but now you never see it anymore. Maybe because it's bullshit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

David Fincher has a profiler show coming out called Mindhunter. Looks super profile-y.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whoops, I was thinking of The Pretender.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

Whoops, I was thinking of The Pretender.

The Pretender was good, I remember after it was cancelled TNT was supposed to make like 3 movies to tie up the ends, and only made one.

I also had a crush on Mrs. Parker :3:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

David Fincher has a profiler show coming out called Mindhunter. Looks super profile-y.

Well if it's the same show I'm thinking about it's set when the FBI comes up with the concept of "serial killer" so maybe it's kind of a throwback to those old Silence of the Lamb-era FBI psychological dramas.

Will Graham is a "profiler" in Hannibal but for him it's more like a superpower.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

How many episodes of Expanse would people recommend trying before throwing in the towel? I think I've tried to watch the premiere twice and just given up halfway through. To me it almost felt like starting BSG (which I loved) without having watch the miniseries as a primer to understand things. I know it's not going to hold my hand and I'm willing to try again just because of how much everyone likes it, but just curious how many episodes I should go in order to give it a serious try.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cael posted:

How many episodes of Expanse would people recommend trying before throwing in the towel? I think I've tried to watch the premiere twice and just given up halfway through. To me it almost felt like starting BSG (which I loved) without having watch the miniseries as a primer to understand things. I know it's not going to hold my hand and I'm willing to try again just because of how much everyone likes it, but just curious how many episodes I should go in order to give it a serious try.

What do you feel that you need a primer to understand? As I recall it spells out the basic premise pretty quickly.

e: thinking back it starts out pretty slow doesn't it? Give it until they get their own ship (4 episodes?) and if it's not doing it for you by then it's not going to.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 5, 2017

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Cael posted:

I had the same problem. I ended up just skipping the first episode, not sure why I couldn't get into it but I liked the rest of the series.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

IRQ posted:

What do you feel that you need a primer to understand? As I recall it spells out the basic premise pretty quickly.

e: thinking back it starts out pretty slow doesn't it? Give it until they get their own ship (4 episodes?) and if it's not doing it for you by then it's not going to.

I'm a book reader, but looking at it from a professional stand point the first episode is kind of terribly directed at times. There's a bit when the Cant does a flip and burn, and it's presented as a big dramatic scene with meaning, but the space photography and the lack of any exposition combine to make it basically nonsensical.

Likewise there's zero-g sex and the reveal of the engine core which my viewing group couldn't make out so the fact it's [spoiler]crawling with protozombies[/spoilers] is a hook that's lost on lots of people.

Season Two only upped the amount of questionably directing choices. The universe and the story might beat Galactica hands down, but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cael posted:

IIRC when it first started they showed the first two episodes back to back, so maybe try watching to at least the end of 2?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's also the chance that you may just not like the show. Everyone has a Great Show Everyone Loves that they never got, mine's The Shield.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still slowly watching through Curb and the last 10-15 minutes of the season 4 finale are an absolute work of comedic genius, my god

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So due to a personal event I have a lot of time to watch TV and so I've started on The Leftovers. I just finished episode 3 and thought the ending was just a little over the top to mean. It was the one that follows Christopher Eccleston's character and how stopping to help a Guilty Remnant person who gets hit with a rock he gets one in the face and loses his church to the Guilty Remnant.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 1 as a whole is a little mean and I don't like that one Eccleston episode as much as many. I guess you have to take it as a Biblical parable but that one felt too self-congratulating with regards to working alone those lines for me. It improves a lot in the second half, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked the expanse at episode 4. It is when you see the inside of the martian ships

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muscles like this! posted:

So due to a personal event I have a lot of time to watch TV and so I've started on The Leftovers. I just finished episode 3 and thought the ending was just a little over the top to mean. It was the one that follows Christopher Eccleston's character and how stopping to help a Guilty Remnant person who gets hit with a rock he gets one in the face and loses his church to the Guilty Remnant.

Ehh, power through season 1 if you can, because some of the setup pays off in S2, but if you find yourself wanting to give up on the show quit watching wherever you are in S1 and start S2. Just skip it entirely if you have to because S2 is one of the most rewarding things I've ever watched and it'd be a drat shame to miss it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

Well I'm assuming it's at least inspired by Mind Hunter, the book about profiling in the FBI written by John Douglas, who inspired the Jack Crawford character in Silence of the Lambs. So, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Iron Crowned posted:

The Pretender was good, I remember after it was cancelled TNT was supposed to make like 3 movies to tie up the ends, and only made one.

I also had a crush on Mrs. Parker :3:

Well they sort of made 2 movies. Pretender 2001 and the haunted isle one.

I still rewatching the show once a year and love it. It's probably my one show to pick for it to come back and actually have a proper ending. And with the way Haunted Isle ended all the actors and actresses ar still alive expect Mr. Parker (with him jumping out of the plane easy to kill him off) they could still bring it back!

Ms. Parker and leather :swoon:

• Locked thread