Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I can't wait for this weeks spoilers where we get powerhouses like Duress back.

And 10 bucks for a mythic that could very well be an extremely popular 4 of seems surprising after the lightning strike spoiler.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/amonkhet/hazoret-the-fervent#product-price-table

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

In addition to what others have said, I would suggest watching videos of other people drafting to get an idea of where the process takes you from beginning to end. It can be difficult to steer yourself in the right direction, because so much of it is out of your hands. People like Luis Scott-Vargas, Marshall Sutcliffe, and Kenji Egashira all put out solid draft content, and they all draft differently despite being very good limited players and making smart decisions. They also tend to talk about why they make certain decisions, so you get good context.

For draft videos I would recommend any of the TDSL drafts. Here is the most recent one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh4CQ7eRVLs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sit on my Facebook posted:

mcmagic is right y'all mono red is gonna be the deck to beat

on a semi related note has anyone else noticed that Kari Zev is a pirate? could be something

The pirate payoffs aren't good enough. The card has to be powerful enough on it's own like Captain Lannery or Kari Zev.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
If only Ragavan had been a pirate monkey...

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Wait are we already saying something doesn't have good enough payoffs? 85 cards into the set?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There have been a grand total of two cards spoiled so far that care about other pirates. We have no idea how good or bad pirate tribal is gonna be.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Wait are we already saying something doesn't have good enough payoffs? 85 cards into the set?

It's mcmagic, are you surprised?

Definitely heard a lot of people decrying the power level of this set, especially compared to Kaladesh. I like the mid-low power level cards w/ interesting designs more, myself. :unsmith:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

"whenever creatures under your control explore put +1/+1 counter on this creature and gain 3 life. "

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

Definitely heard a lot of people decrying the power level of this set, especially compared to Kaladesh. I like the mid-low power level cards w/ interesting designs more, myself. :unsmith:

Give me cards with interesting designs I can use outside limited or give me death

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tainen posted:

"whenever creatures under your control explore put +1/+1 counter on this creature and gain 3 life. "

That is a very strong uncommon. For constructed it'll depend on whether there are good explore creatures. But it's a very strong payoff for them.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 5, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

The issue is these types of sets do poorly in the long term for sales.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Sickening posted:

The issue is these types of sets do poorly in the long term for sales.

What analogues are you thinking of? We know that a bad limited format doesn't really affect sales if there's something for the casuals (Avacyn Restored, lol) (and this set has dinosaurs!), but I'm struggling to think of an "opposite" set that didn't have other problems (Time Spiral's high complexity level, for example).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tainen posted:

For draft videos I would recommend any of the TDSL drafts. Here is the most recent one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh4CQ7eRVLs

Team Draft is such a hosed up format where you're actively trying to sabotage the players around you so I would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend it as a way to get good at draft.

Ben Stark doesn't do it that many draft videos but he's the best at explaining why he is making each pick.
https://www.channelfireball.com/author/ben-stark/

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

PJOmega posted:

Bolas is strong, but committing your deck all in on a P1P1 three color, 7 casting cost card is asking for problems. Actually, going all in on a P1P1 is often a big mistake. I've drafted Glyph Keeper P1P1 then ended up G/W because they were significantly stronger picks than the blue I was getting passed.

Another common mistake you'll see more often at a store than online is someone opening an out of color bomb in pack 2 and drafting it and trying to force their deck into tricolor (or 4 color even) off of it. By the end of pack 1 you should have one or both of your colors set. A splashable bomb is a fine pick P2P1, but not something that costs double off color. Especially since you've been signalling to your left that that color is open, so you're less likely to receive anything else in your new color.

Just because you take a bomb P1P1 doesn't mean you're committed to playing it. I would probably always take Bolas P1P1, but if I get pushed into RW or something I might not play him.

But the fixing in this set is good enough that you can throw him in the green ramp/multicolour deck and be pretty happy about it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ein Sexmonster posted:

We know most of the mythics and most of the rares, yes, I think we can make some pretty good guesses.

Pirates get two sets, anyway, and possibly more support in Dominaria.

Procrastinator posted:

What analogues are you thinking of?
Dragon's Maze is probably the go to example for shitter set.

Ixalan is no DGM though.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Entropic posted:

Just because you take a bomb P1P1 doesn't mean you're committed to playing it. I would probably always take Bolas P1P1, but if I get pushed into RW or something I might not play him.

But the fixing in this set is good enough that you can throw him in the green ramp/multicolour deck and be pretty happy about it.

Knowing that there is a 4/5-colour green deck to draft Bolas into is another thing that is a place for improvement (format knowledge).

@CKM it sounds like you're at about a level where listening to the Limited Resources podcast might help you out, if Marshall Sutcliffe and LSV are people you'll willingly listen to. Might be a good idea to go back and start from LSV's first episode as co-host if you're interested. Things tend to build up with a single co-host.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Because that's how the thread works, without fail, 100% of the time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Procrastinator posted:

Definitely heard a lot of people decrying the power level of this set

Like they have with every set?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's a goddamn MCV... Boat.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 5, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The deck that wants that land is gonna have a really hard time with crew 4...

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Entropic posted:

I was given the advice at some point to just start with picking the best card in every pack and you will figure out pretty quickly what colors are open. Obviously there's deeper strategy available, but once your 2-5 picks are the same color that should be a pretty big hint

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I kind of wish the transform was optional. The land side seems like something you don't actually want until the late game when you have mana to burn. I guess at least you can keep it back as a giant wall until then if you need to.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Everything about this is cool af

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I'm trying to think of what kind of deck wants this and I keep coming back to ramp, the extra land drop you functionally get on the transform is nice and the higher cost utility options can be more easily utilized by such a deck. Maybe a one or two of in any standard ramp deck we see? Of course the existence of that deck means that there are big creatures that are worth ramping into. Dinos have some promise there but we're gonna have to wait until the rubber meets the road on this set.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

sit on my Facebook posted:

Everything about this is cool af

It screams EDH

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you're trying to ramp into Carnage Tyrant, that is a very bad strategy. That is what I have seen online just messing around.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I love this even though I know it's less good than I want it to be.

Can Draw-Go be a thing yet?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

The deck that wants that land is gonna have a really hard time with crew 4...

Locust God has 4 power exactly. :smug:

But that would require Locust God to work in the first place. :shepface:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Locust God has 4 power exactly. :smug:

But that would require Locust God to work in the first place. :shepface:

Take that to EDH where it belongs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Take that to EDH where it belongs.

We all float down here.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Seems like an uncommon got bumped last minute.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sickening posted:

Seems like an uncommon got bumped last minute.

Uh this would never make it at uncommon. Remember vampires have a heavy token theme in this set. It also starts working the turn you cast it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That's a lot of work for a maze of ith...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It seems like a card in a control mirror I guess?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like how the flip-lands look, it's a cool design that fits the flavour of the set well.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
MaRo confirmed they were the frames for the Ixalan masterpieces before they took them out of the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

A Maze of Ith that can actually tap for mana!