Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Japanese companies are hard for NECA to work with.

No other companies seem to have the issues they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
NECA owns WizKids, who make Heroclix.

Heroclix just had a major rules overhaul, one of which included the complete removal of a Fantastic Four-logo game element. I don't know if that sounds like much to non-players of the game - but it's basically a sign that the Fantastic Four, who haven't appeared as game pieces since 2011, are gone for good.

There's also a rumor that Marvel won't allow sets that mix X-characters and "main" characters (Cap, Iron Man, etc.).

For reference, we probably get (not joking) 5-10 Iron Man pieces a year. No main FF people since '11.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel Heroes has also been forced to stop selling the F4, removing all references down to item flavor text and achievement names.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The only company right now that is allowed to work with F4 is Hasbro.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

And even then, aren't the F4 Marvel Legends a retailer exclusive at freaking Walgreens?

I actively collect toys and even I still have trouble wrapping my mind around the idea that Walgreens (you know, the pharmacy and convenience store) is a viable place to buy modern action figures. When I mention that to non-collectors, they think I'm full of poo poo. Relegating new F4 merch to Walgreens is a surefire way to make sure John Q Public has no idea it exists.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Once they finish this new run of F4 Legends there's a good chance we won't ever see these characters in plastic ever again.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I guess yeah tucking them away at Walgreens keeps them out of sight, out of mind, etc. but Walgreens is also now one of the biggest accounts for exclusives across the board.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Licensing in general fucks over NECA regularly, their DCvs line is now on legal limbo for example.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Walgreens exclusives are sold at GameStop here.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Licensing in general fucks over NECA regularly, their DCvs line is now on legal limbo for example.

They were walking a messy licensing tightrope on that to begin with. I'm gonna guess either Mattel finally stepped in and asked why they are doing 6-7 inch DC figures, or DC balked at Aliens painted up to look like the Joker.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

That's a god drat shame.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's because NECA has a long history of pushing the line with acceptable use and pissing off their licensees.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fuzz posted:

That's because NECA has a long history of pushing the line with acceptable use and pissing off their licensees.
Are there any juicy stories about this?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Are there any juicy stories about this?

Hell if I know, it's been brought up in this thread a boatload of times over the years.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Xenomrph posted:

And even then, aren't the F4 Marvel Legends a retailer exclusive at freaking Walgreens?

I actively collect toys and even I still have trouble wrapping my mind around the idea that Walgreens (you know, the pharmacy and convenience store) is a viable place to buy modern action figures. When I mention that to non-collectors, they think I'm full of poo poo. Relegating new F4 merch to Walgreens is a surefire way to make sure John Q Public has no idea it exists.

The head buyer for Walgreens is a huge toy nerd. By getting all of these exclusives it has driven a lot of toy sales to the company where they were a afterthought at best and a huge money loss at worst before. I don't mind Walgreens exclusives since they are everywhere in the country and they aren't hard to come by unlike exclusives from other retailers (TRU, Wal-Mart, Target). I mean I have never seen a TRU exclusive in the wild ever, and even if you preorder them you are lucky if you get them. Wal-Mart and Target exclusives you have a better chance at finding a bigfoot than finding them. You can make a lot of jokes about Walgreens having exclusives but you can't argue out of every retailer they have executed having them the best by far.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've had decent luck with retailer exclusives - I picked up the TRU Dark Phoenix two pack recently.

I've actually never seen the F4 figures at Walgreens in the wild, funnily enough.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you're near the border just head over to EBGames. There's always tons of them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Walgreens exclusives are the best. In general I feel like they and Target are the most reliable/easiest too find things at.

TRU is the worst and frankly in this area (northern NJ & NYC) their staff are so bad that it's really common to find the completely wrong figure in a box as a return, and you tell the staff and they don't give a poo poo. In one TRU there literally is a dude that is a scalper working there, because multiple collectors have seen this guy stocking the shelves but intentionally not putting out stuff on the cart, then wheeling it all directly to the registers to buy it himself. Dude apparently has the nerve to tell people that they're preorders if you go up to him to ask him for one off the cart.

gently caress TRU.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone know where I can get replacement stands for Amazing Yamaguchi / Revoltech figs? Venom was apparently too heavy and the peg that sticks in his back snapped the middle peg of pole that connects to the stand, which basically renders all parts useless... :negative:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

To no ones surprise McFarlane toys still suck rear end. And are still stiff as a loving board for posing. I had to bend the hands all weird to get the guns in and it doesn't look to good even with that. Funny thing is they snapped back as if nothing happened.

Also the left hand on the Titan(one with the Mohawk helmet) fell right off when I opened it.

Just need the Hunter now but my store didn't get any. The Cayde-6 mini was free for preordering. Nice little statue - no posing at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The $250 Threezero (or ThreeA? I can never remember) ones aren't poseable either, from what I've read.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Speaking of threezero, anyone know when Saitama/OPM really ships? Their shipping schedule says August... are they usually late/slow? They migrated from threezero to threezerohk.com so you can't check the status on the old site and the new site doesn't carry over old accounts so you can't check it there either. Slow to never update on social media so no news there.

I'm impatient and I want my dolly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Speaking of threezero, anyone know when Saitama/OPM really ships? Their shipping schedule says August... are they usually late/slow? They migrated from threezero to threezerohk.com so you can't check the status on the old site and the new site doesn't carry over old accounts so you can't check it there either. Slow to never update on social media so no news there.

I'm impatient and I want my dolly.

Goodsmile's site always has updates on Threezero stuff. I guess they're a distributor for them?

Last update I see is here: http://www.goodsmile.info/en/post/4547/Release+Date+Changes+for+July+2017+Products.html

They list it as delayed into September.

Threezero is late as hell all the time.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

poo poo. Thanks I'll have to keep an eye on that page then.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

ThreeA / ThreeZero have made a business model around being late.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Speaking of retailer exclusives, I'm still looking for a Dark Phoenix if anyone comes across the two-pack. Never saw any in my area and all of the TRUs around me have already allocated the shelf space to other stuff (rotting GotG 5-packs or Civil War 2-packs) and removed the shelf stickers. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Aphrodite posted:

The $250 Threezero (or ThreeA? I can never remember) ones aren't poseable either, from what I've read.

They should be, all my experience with ThreeZero/A they have a good degree of articulation but bulkier clothed characters suffer, like my Dead Space 3 Isaac Clarke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Titan has like rubber armor that makes it impossible to do much with.

The Hunter has solid plastic knee boots with no separate ankles, so it can't stand up in any pose.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vintersorg posted:

To no ones surprise McFarlane toys still suck rear end. And are still stiff as a loving board for posing.

This gives me so much confidence now they have the Star Trek licence. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Aphrodite posted:

The Titan has like rubber armor that makes it impossible to do much with.

The Hunter has solid plastic knee boots with no separate ankles, so it can't stand up in any pose.

Welp, that sucks. That's really baffling.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My warlock cannot stand on the peg and sorta has to lean back on that background or a wall if you throw it out. It's way off balance. :lol:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Those guys have the Halo license as well, right?

Man those figures suck. I got the first one they released, and there's no god damned torso articulation at all. Apparently Spartans never need to crouch, or move, or bend in any way, shape, form or fashion.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They aren't good, but generally 1/6 isn't the greatest stuff in the world for posing.

They are made to find some kind of decent pose, stick it in a detolf and never touch again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hot Toys are the best figures for posing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Hot Toys are the best figures for posing.

This is a lie.

Also McFarlane should be treated like Kotobukiya statues with slightly more articulation and a lot less anime.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fuzz posted:

This is a lie.

Also McFarlane should be treated like Kotobukiya statues with slightly more articulation and a lot less anime.

In the sense that you should not buy them, yes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The "gently caress it" scale Japanese stuff are highly poseable of course but also ugly as sin.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

The "gently caress it" scale Japanese stuff are highly poseable of course but also ugly as sin.

Doesnt this thread has an expert on 'gently caress it' scale figures?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hot Toys poses better than a Marvel legend. I keep buying them and disappointed then the joints start to bend, trying to do neat poses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah, the one I got (the blue guy from HALO Reach) just plain sucks. He's got articulated fingers which I thought would be amazing, but they can't hold his rifle or his gun because the joints are too weak.

The magnets that hold the extra armor pieces on are incredibly weak, and the armor won't stay on if there's so much as a ceiling fan blowing air around the room.

They may have upgraded since the first one, but that one sucked enough that I'm not testing the waters on any more of em.