Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sonic Mania 2 should crossover with the SatAM/Archie Comics universe and make Antoine the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

azurite posted:

Here's a Youtube-man being bad at Sonic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q9SXJZRNCE

He's more a streamer man tbh.

One that manages to do a Hydrocity clip.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Sonic Mania 2 should crossover with the SatAM/Archie Comics universe and make Antoine the main character.

You joke but it would be pretty cool if Ian Flynn was a writer on the games. Post-reboot archie is the most coherent and fun interperetation of the world of sonic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'd love for them to do a more SatAM style Sonic game in general. Most sonic games are really abstract, which is good for a platformer, but that show really fleshed out the world and had a really cool 90s style.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Linear Zoetrope posted:

My favorite remix is still that chill rear end guitar riff in Lava Reef 2.

All the music is great but the subtle touches to this and FBZ2 really are outstanding.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I know it's been said before but Tee Lopes really knocked it out of the park with this soundtrack. It just screams "Sonic" And when I say that I don't mean cheesy butt rock to save the world to. I mean that good 90's poo poo! The variety of early 90's dance, techno, house, J-pop that has all the high energy and feel goods you remember.

They wanted to go for a Saturn vibe and drat! How you can describe that in music form, it is difficult but a good example is Tee Lopes work (and Pogada Wesst) on the mobile game; Major Magnet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsxmswMFLRU&list=PLTff_0Za6U_lleP_81Lxu77tDVpVYmRr3

That Japanese bop and synth with catchy melody is something this guy delivers in spades and I love it!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

Okay, this video keeps getting posted and everyone keeps going HOLY poo poo OMG. What... is happening? What is apparently so mindbogglingly insane that he's doing that I'm supposed to be seeing. Help me please

He's using the insta shield, super peel out and drop dash all at once

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My nephew today was watching me watch that Vinny Sonic video, and he knew who Sonic the Hedgehog was but had no idea that he was in any video games.

Which I guess is understandable, you know, considering how poorly Sega has treated their own character since the 90's. Pretty much every Sonic starting with Adventure has been a misstep (except maybe Colors and Generations), compared to Mario who's had a new game almost bi-yearly and most of them were good to great. And the Sonic games aren't even really advertised or hyped that I know of.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm having a lot of fun with debug (in Knuckles & Knuckles mode, the best mode); you can access Sonic's MSZ Act 1 by just debugging immediately at the start to avoid the hit that knocks you off, it isn't a separate cutscene. Then once the act ends, you go to Knuckles' stage anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Call me dumb but I'm stuck in studiopolis zone 2

I got to a place with flippy tiles that say "Lock On" and I have no idea where to go. I've tried quite a few things, everything brings me back to this area.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The two unobvious things I can think of in that level are the caps you need to bop to enter cables might not look obvious and there's a couple sections where you reverse back through the loop which results in a new branching path.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Call me dumb but I'm stuck in studiopolis zone 2

I got to a place with flippy tiles that say "Lock On" and I have no idea where to go. I've tried quite a few things, everything brings me back to this area.

If it's the place I'm thinking of, keep heading right. There's a wall with a cross section cut out that is actually a tunnel out. You can bounce off the the red spring balls to get in there.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Roundabout Route posted:

ETA on a mod that lets you play as Nack?

The only mod you or anyone will ever need is right here!

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

azurite posted:

Here's a Youtube-man being bad at Sonic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q9SXJZRNCE

I'm an unashamed fan of the Vinesauce guys, so I watched the whole stream. The "unfortunate" series of incidents in Ice Cap featured near the end of the highlight video is probably one of my all time favourite moments in his streams.

Vinny's attempts also made me finally realise that although I'm not quite a speed runner... I'm relatively alright at Sonic games.

Teratrain fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 4, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Talking to friends about their mania experiences has taught me the games are a great deal harder than I thought they were. To most people anyway.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 4, 2018

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Stuck in tube, please send help!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well OOZ2 boss is a pile of gently caress, manages to outrank how much i hate the bluesphere stages and is singlehandedly why im dreading a Knuckles run.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/seanmcbay/status/904875455378890752
Just saw this in front of me in a drive-thru.:v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Talking to friends about their mania experiences has taught me the games are a great deal harder than I thought they were. To most people anyway.

Yeah. I plowed through a run yesterday and my friend remaked at how a part in Titanic Monarch took him the better part of an afternoon to learn and I just did it no problem in one shot. I don't even remember which part because the section wasn't remarkable to me.

King Vidiot posted:

My nephew today was watching me watch that Vinny Sonic video, and he knew who Sonic the Hedgehog was but had no idea that he was in any video games.

Blow his mind by telling him the guys in the Fruity Pebbles commericals used to have their own cartoon.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 5, 2017

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/seanmcbay/status/904875455378890752
Just saw this in front of me in a drive-thru.:v:

Report that man for Sonic abuse. His license plate is clearly visible.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the levels in this game are so fuckin big, I'm on my fifth or sixth playthrough and I'm still seeing poo poo I've never seen before. Did you know that there's a section in Lava Reef where the lava rises up like in Hill Top Zone? I didn't!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Augus posted:

the levels in this game are so fuckin big, I'm on my fifth or sixth playthrough and I'm still seeing poo poo I've never seen before. Did you know that there's a section in Lava Reef where the lava rises up like in Hill Top Zone? I didn't!

They're crazy big. I'm not even that far but I was gobsmacked at how big chemical plant zone 2 was, and all of studiopolis is huge.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. I plowed through a run yesterday and my friend remaked at how a part in Titanic Monarch took him the better part of an afternoon to learn and I just did it no problem in one shot. I don't even remember which part because the section wasn't remarkable to me.

There's a stupid part with two sets of two springs and if you miss springing from one set to the leftmost spring on the other set, you fall into the pink pit of "DO IT OVER AGAIN". That was a bitch to me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I kinda feel like Sonic's only having two acts (even huge ones) per art/gimmick set is almost a waste.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I kinda feel like Sonic's only having two acts (even huge ones) per art/gimmick set is almost a waste.

I could see three for some but you wouldn't want to drag it out too long.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MikeJF posted:

chaotix has five per zone and it's... not good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Better approach would be having multiple paths through the game, like star fox, an easy, medium, and hard path. But each level on the path would share the same tileset with the other paths, just have a different layout.

The easy path could then have zero emeralds, and then the medium path would have fewer than the hard path.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MikeJF posted:

Two words: Metropolis Zone.

edit: My phone doesn't like when I try to press certain letters.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 5, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic 1 demonstrated pretty well that three acts was too much

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

Sonic 1 demonstrated pretty well that three acts was too much

Yeah 2 is a pretty sweet spot, I replayed 1 not long ago and 3 acts was def. too much for some of the levels.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I hope someone will make one of those big pictures that allows you to zoom out and pan over the whole zone/act. I bet it looks like a marble run machine! :buddy:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How about three acts but the second act changes depending on the route taken in the first. This way no single playthrough of the game is tiresome, but there are three acts for people wanting more of each tileset to play.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with debug (in Knuckles & Knuckles mode, the best mode); you can access Sonic's MSZ Act 1 by just debugging immediately at the start to avoid the hit that knocks you off, it isn't a separate cutscene. Then once the act ends, you go to Knuckles' stage anyway.

You can also access Knuckles' MSZ Act 1 as Sonic by spawning the goal post during Sonic's Act 1. You'll be taken to Knuckles' Act 1 where you can finish and kill the boss, but nothing will happen after you hit the real goal post. Sonic will just stand there wagging his finger forever.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Augus posted:

I was unlucky enough to take that path for the first time as Knuckles. That part is not kind to Knuckles, nosiree.

Barudak posted:

Well OOZ2 boss is a pile of gently caress, manages to outrank how much i hate the bluesphere stages and is singlehandedly why im dreading a Knuckles run.

It's just as bad as you think it is as Knuckles. If you fall into the oil you pretty much have to spam that jump button hard and be close enough to the ledge to maybe grab on with Knuckles' ledge grab. Or else be over a spot where the platform rises when it rises.

As much care and effort they put into have Knuckles-only little touches and special acts or bosses, the game is really heavily balanced towards Sonic play. There are bosses that are just loving tedious as Knuckles, like TMZ1's boss where it's literally impossible to hit him unless you constantly take damage from the orbs. That's it, and you're hosed if you lose all your rings because then you're dead.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's possible to hit the TMZ1 boss as Knuckles without taking a hit, but the window is really small and the angle of your rebound means there's a good chance that you'll be caught by the spikes from the exploding orb.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm really impressed and surprised that it is actually physically possible for a man to run through a shuttle loop like Sonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw1TjMXq_wI&t=131s

Pants Donkey posted:

I've been trying to find this on my own, but come up empty-handed. Does anyone have an explanation for why the original Sonic theme from 1 & 2 never became an enduring thing? I know it has something to do with royalties that Sega doesn't want to pay for every game, but they do dip into on occasion like for Generations. Seemed weird they didn't also go for it with Mania.

It's because Sega didn't want to pay royalties in Sonic 3 and it didn't stick afterwards. Since then I think it's only been in Generations, Advance 1 and the beta version of Sonic Spinball I think?

It's a shame because I really like leitmotifs.

I hacked Sonic Mania to have the Sonic 2 HD Title and Invincibility themes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncsr0GzTruY

Hilariously most of my music mods for Mania are taking out Tee Lopes songs to put in different Tee Lopes songs

Screaming Idiot posted:

Report that man for Sonic abuse. His license plate is clearly visible.

Sonic abuse you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ota27q2fUL0

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's because Sega didn't want to pay royalties in Sonic 3 and it didn't stick afterwards. Since then I think it's only been in Generations, Advance 1 and the beta version of Sonic Spinball I think?

If I recall correctly, the composer for the first two games hit it big as a J-Pop star soon after and his rates spiked.

Sonic Spinball had to panic and shut down the wrap party to compose a new title screen right as the finished master was about to be sent off to the manufacturers because nobody told the American team making the game they didn't have the rights until some Japanese who flew over saw a demo and got confused.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Was thinking about getting the LP, since it comes with a DL code anyway. But then I noticed they only accept credit cards and nothing else( you could claim it to be retro I guess :v:), and it's lacking zones like Flying Battery and Hydrocity so what kind of loving ost is this anyway :colbert:. Since all the tracks on it are the ones made by the new composer I'm getting the feeling this too is a rights issue.

Bit of a pity that a lack of options means my choices appear to be to either just ignore this or resort to piracy(no I don't want to do that). :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

If I recall correctly, the composer for the first two games hit it big as a J-Pop star soon after and his rates spiked.

It's weird then that they still have the Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Oil Ocean themes in Sonic Mania then. Yeah they're remixes, but by that token they could've made a remix of the Sonic 1 & 2 theme.