Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The heroic leader dwarf is not the one the elf has the hots for, that dwarf dies a sexless loser in the third film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the first Hobbit movie but I remember like six big nose funny dwarves and then the heroic leader dwarf who basically looks like a handsome human which is pretty dumb.

Seriously this bugged the hell out of me too. And while the trilogy was obviously overlong and expanded in absolutely the dumbest possible ways I feel that there could have been a really, really great pair of movies in there at least if someone could have reined Peter Jackson in a little. Like, poo poo, you made Ian McKellen cry, maybe pull back.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh. Well I stand corrected on which dwarf hosed that elf lady, ty thread. I was not paying much attention to those movies.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I watched Innerspace for the billionth time recently (it is one of my favorite movies) and one detail that kind of bugged me:

In the climactic fight between Tuck and Mr. Igoe, Tuck's pod gets its thrusters disabled. This was the whole reason he tumbled down Jack's esophagus and into the stomach. After Mr. Igoe gets dissolved in stomach acid, Tuck is a race against time as he's desperately low on oxygen.

How did he go from Jack's stomach to his lungs if his pod's thrusters were disabled?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC part of the reason The Hobbit was so much worse than LOTR was that Peter Jackson spent like 10 years in LOTR pre-production but didn't even want to direct The Hobbit and only did it after Guillermo Del Toro dropped out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC part of the reason The Hobbit was so much worse than LOTR was that Peter Jackson spent like 10 years in LOTR pre-production but didn't even want to direct The Hobbit and only did it after Guillermo Del Toro dropped out.

Apparently they started shooting without a final script

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

I'm amazed they got anyone to come back. They must have spent years on LOTR alone. There's a great clip on the behind the scenes edition of the guys who make chainmail for the extras slowly going insane. Literally just three or four guys sat in a trailer making endless chainmail tunics for years on end; they start off chirpy and happy to be working on such a big production and then it keeps going back to them as they grow massive beads and start developing their own weird culture and things.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

So much of it is really, really good (the dwarves showing up in the Shire, the troll campfire, Mirkwood, the barrel ride, the fireworks display, Riddles in the Dark, Bilbo's encounter with Smaug) but the obvious padding and the extension of several scenes to turn them into chase scenes are glaring, as is all that poo poo with the pale orc and the woods wizard.

The book is a quaint, atmospheric, rather tight little story - filled with flavor and atmosphere and told at a measured, steady pace.

The movies try to make an epic out of something a cartoon managed to convey in 90 minutes and suffer greatly for it. I'll defend "An Unexpected Journey" but gently caress the other 2.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

darkwasthenight posted:

I'm amazed they got anyone to come back. They must have spent years on LOTR alone. There's a great clip on the behind the scenes edition of the guys who make chainmail for the extras slowly going insane. Literally just three or four guys sat in a trailer making endless chainmail tunics for years on end; they start off chirpy and happy to be working on such a big production and then it keeps going back to them as they grow massive beads and start developing their own weird culture and things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyXeHccKTDs

In two years they switched from one side of the table to the other.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

So much of it is really, really good (the dwarves showing up in the Shire, the troll campfire, Mirkwood, the barrel ride, the fireworks display, Riddles in the Dark, Bilbo's encounter with Smaug) but the obvious padding and the extension of several scenes to turn them into chase scenes are glaring, as is all that poo poo with the pale orc and the woods wizard.

The book is a quaint, atmospheric, rather tight little story - filled with flavor and atmosphere and told at a measured, steady pace.

The movies try to make an epic out of something a cartoon managed to convey in 90 minutes and suffer greatly for it. I'll defend "An Unexpected Journey" but gently caress the other 2.

More than that, the trilogy tries to stretch a trilogy out of a children's bedtime story.

Benedict Cumberbatch was pretty good as Smaug, though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Basically someone needs to make the 'undirector's cut'

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Imagine if New Line Cinema didn't have money problems that forced them to pad the Hobbit out to three movies, and imagine if Guillerimo Del Toro hadn't pissed off that Gypsy fortune-teller during the production of Mimic.

The Planet of the Apes Trilogy worked as a prequel-reboot-spinoff thing as it not's dependent on any characters, but on its concept. The ending is foregone but there's a lot of room for fresh and original story-telling. With the Hobbit they have to rush the films because they didn't know how much time actors like Ian McKellen had before departing for the Grey Havens.

I hope Ewan McGregor reprises his role as Obi-Wan in a spinoff, just so he can have one decent movie as the character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one scene in the last one where the Eye of Sauron explodes out of this tower in Dol Guldur is pretty cool-looking, but the way they decided to delve deep into the Return of the Kings appendices to fill out the Necromancer / Dol Guldur plot was a bit tedious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was weird how they made a big deal about how Benedict Cumberbatch was also playing the Necromancer and then the guy gets like zero lines and doesn't really ever show up.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

More than that, the trilogy tries to stretch a trilogy out of a children's bedtime story.

Benedict Cumberbatch was pretty good as Smaug, though.

Honestly, they had a really great cast and there were some real good performances which makes the whole thing worse.

It was weird how they made a big deal about how Benedict Cumberbatch was also playing the Necromancer and then the guy gets like zero lines and doesn't really ever show up.

He became Dr. Strange. Necromancy is a kind of magic!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The part with the Dwarves invading Bilbo's house at the beginning was really spot on. Its too bad the rest of the movies couldn't maintain that tone and style.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, and when he does speak, he only ever uses the Black Speech (example: the scene I mentioned earlier). I'm not sure if that's Cumberbatch delivering the lines but it's a bit of a waste because you can easily imagine Cumberbatch intoning ominously that Angmar will rise and the East will fall.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Armacham posted:

The part with the Dwarves invading Bilbo's house at the beginning was really spot on. Its too bad the rest of the movies couldn't maintain that tone and style.

Yeah, and to whoever mentioned the barrel ride upthread, what the hell? That was videogame quicktime event overproduced cartoon silliness. Yuck.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The riddle scene was insanely good and I don't care about the rest. I took my dad to the first two for his birthday because he took me to LotR every year when I was a kid but I literally fell asleep during the terrible golden statue scene in the second hobbit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, and to whoever mentioned the barrel ride upthread, what the hell? That was videogame quicktime event overproduced cartoon silliness. Yuck.

It's great and overproduced cartoon silliness is spot on for The Hobbit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hate it when they put a well-known actor in a major role, only they're under a load of make-up and their delivery is completely different, so the end result is most-likely a completely forgettable character who could have been played by anyone. Examples are Idris Elba in Star Trek Beyond and Ron Perlman who was also in a Star Trek.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Sep 5, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

EmmyOk posted:

I literally fell asleep during the terrible golden statue scene in the second hobbit.

Same!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Bloop posted:

It would've been a lot worse if it wasn't fun to watch. That was easily the best part of the movie in HFR 3D when I saw it. The worst part was how Smaug moved all wrong for something the size of a house. Moved way too smoothly and way too quickly for the size and it just looked bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hate it when they put a well-known actor in a major role, only they're under a load of make-up and their delivery is completely different, so the end result is most-likely a completely forgettable character who could have been played by anyone. Examples are Idris Elba in Star Trek Beyond and Ron Perlman who was also in a Star Trek.

Idris Elba spends the best part of half an hour out of makeup at the end of the film.

The reveal that the alien guy is actually someone important is literally a plot point.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Bloop posted:

That was me but for some reason I thought that scene was pretty well done. It was a little video gamey, come to think of it. I just liked the way it was shot.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The barrel thing was fun to watch. Then it happened like 10 more times throughout the movies.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one scene in the last one where the Eye of Sauron explodes out of this tower in Dol Guldur is pretty cool-looking, but the way they decided to delve deep into the Return of the Kings appendices to fill out the Necromancer / Dol Guldur plot was a bit tedious.

I liked Justice League: Middle Earth though.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Christopher Eccleston in Thor 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrJacobs posted:

I liked Justice League: Middle Earth though.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment in the Middle Earth Shared Cinematic Universe, which will be a six-hour war film inspired by Stalingrad and Enemy at the Gates chronicling the entire seven-year siege of Barad-Dur.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The second movie was so weak. That ending was just abysmal, this 15 minute long chase sequence with a ridiculous premise. How is 'lets trap the dragon in a lake of gold' even supposed to be a plan somebody thought of? Then he lives because plot demands he does and the whole sequence is dumb and pointless.

I remember being in the theatre and being so annoyed at that scene.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Agent355 posted:

The second movie was so weak. That ending was just abysmal, this 15 minute long chase sequence with a ridiculous premise. How is 'lets trap the dragon in a lake of gold' even supposed to be a plan somebody thought of? Then he lives because plot demands he does and the whole sequence is dumb and pointless.

And then the Dragon is killed at the beginning of the next film because they needed another set-piece.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I read the book again this summer for the first time in 20 years probably and it made me mad about the movie series all over.

There is a perfectly natural stopping point right in the middle of the book. There is a big chase scene in mirkwood with the spiders and it's full of bombast and adventure and it ends with the group barely escaping. They look around and go 'oh hey, where's Thorin?' and thats when you find out he was captured by elves and a bunch of other elves all capture the now tired dwarves.

Bam, end the movie on a cliffhanger. You got your action climax and a little gotcha moment and you can start the next movie with a short prison breakout vignette (and skip the loving barrel scene jesus christ, in the books it was a really tense scene as the barrels were lashed into a raft with elves(humans?) piloting it and the dwarfs worrying about being caught at any moment. Thats tense enough as written without barrel dervish poo poo.

Then you get the entire smaug run up and the battle of the 5 armies in one movie, smaug can take his rightful place as mid-boss and everything flows so much better.

I really really liked the first movie and I'm still so sad the second two hosed up so bad. They're far from unwatchable, but drat.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Tunicate posted:

Basically someone needs to make the 'undirector's cut'

There's a four hour supercut out there that a fan made. It turfs just about everything not from the books. The editing is a bit wonk at times but overall it pretty drat solid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just remembered the big groaner in the third movie, when Legolas and Evangeline Lily go to investigate Gundabad and a big flock of giant bats fly past them.

"These bats are bred for one thing."
"What?"
<dramatic pause>
"Waaaaaarrrr!"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I had to pee for that whole loving chase scene. It made it extra infuriating, because I knew the movie was supposed to be over, and would be any moment, but it just kept going and going.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one scene in the last one where the Eye of Sauron explodes out of this tower in Dol Guldur is pretty cool-looking,

I''m gonna fight em all
A five nation army couldn't hold me back

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I haven't seen the Hobbit films, but didn't they add Tom Bombadil to it somewhere? Presumably because so many idiots whined that he wasn't in the LOTR films?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No, but they make Radagast a big character.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fil5000 posted:

I haven't seen the Hobbit films, but didn't they add Tom Bombadil to it somewhere? Presumably because so many idiots whined that he wasn't in the LOTR films?

They added Galadriel, Saruman, and Legolas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Ah, ok. I guess even Jackson has some limits.