Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Gunjin posted:

gently caress Jaroslav Halak.

gently caress the lovely return we got for Halak :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

And gently caress Bergevin for trading Eller for two picks which turned out to be Josh Brook and Joni Ikonen.

I mean Ikonen could pan out and be a solid depth winger/centre but that's a stretch.

Brook? Uhhhhhhh maybe he'll play well in Brampton?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Heliogabalos posted:

Skille was weirdly good skating up ice along the boards.

I missed #vanekchat. What's a summary of the thoughts here? Personally I don't mind it. Sheltering/seasoning our rookies in the minors some more and letting the elders play until they break, and the rookies turn into call ups later in the season is not the worst idea. Also it seems like Canucks people have suddenly jolted awake after three years and realized how utterly loving clown college our power play has been and have actually made some real changes to improve it? I can only write that in paranoid incredulity atm

a cheap one year deal

it's good. It's better if Benning can actually flip him for futures rather than a) let him walk for nothing b) re-sign him for stupid $$$

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Always will be controversial, but i don't think you can peg the Carter / Richards trade as a bad trade.

Bryz's contract was godawful, and really the big nail in the coffin to me was Lecavlier's contract plus trading JVR for Luke loving Schenn.
the return they got for carter and richards was pretty solid. it's may be more emblematic of the end than the nail in the coffin.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The Rangers 1997 playoff run broke the team for a long time. Three years after an old Rangers team won the cup and two teams averaging two years younger than them hoisted the cup, the Rangers took an aging team pretty far. In the first two rounds, they lost the first game, then won four straight. They got crushed 4-1 by the Flyers in the conference finals, but won a single game on a Wayne Gretzky hat trick and a three-point game by Mark Messier. Their top six forwards were all 30+, as were four of their six defensemen. They had one full-time player under age 26. Look at how old this team is:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/1997.html#all_skaters_playoffs

They traded Luc Robitaille, who had years left in a Hall of Fame career, for aging power forward Kevin Stevens - only a year older, but a huge difference in style and productivity. They sent Mark "Messiah" Messier to do god's work and destroy the Vancouver Canucks, then traded draft picks for Pat LaFontaine, who would retire the next year. Two games into the season, they traded Karpotsev, their youngest defenseman, for Mathieu Schenider - great player, but also older. They shipped out Alex Kovalev to bring back Petr Nedved, who they had originally shipped off with Sergei Zubov for the older Robitaille and Ulf Samuelsson.

Even Wayne Gretzky couldn't drag this mess to the playoffs. When he retired a season later, they blew up the team backwards by trading all their young players including dumping future point-per-game center Marc Savard to move up two spots in the draft, as well as 1997 playoffs contributor Niklas "only forward under 28" Sundstrom and Hextall-grade goaltender Dan Cloutier and next year's first round pick for the 4th overall, who busted even worse than #1 overall Patrik Stefan. The Canucks came out of those two picks in between with their saviors.

They didn't make the playoffs again until 2006, but in the meantime they loaded the team with aging starts from all of their old playoff rivals, including Eric Lindros, Bobby Holik, Pavel Bure, John Maclean, and even re-acquiring Nedved from the Penguins after they beat them in '96. Was it the system, the series, or the inability to recognize that Wayne loving Gretzky dragged them to that last bit of success? Who knows?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Gio posted:

2011 ECQF, Philly v. Boston? caused them to trade richards and carter, signed bryz to a bajillion dollars, have been more or less irrelevant since.

The Bryz deal was pretty much following SOP for the Flyers front office until Hextall took over. It's amazing how long it to the front office to realise that no, you can't just throw heaps of money at free agents and expect to make the conference finals every other year anymore.

And as mentioned before, the Richards and Carter trades were good for Philly, even if they were done mostly to dump cap room for Bryz.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Heliogabalos posted:

Skille was weirdly good skating up ice along the boards.

I missed #vanekchat. What's a summary of the thoughts here? Personally I don't mind it. Sheltering/seasoning our rookies in the minors some more and letting the elders play until they break, and the rookies turn into call ups later in the season is not the worst idea. Also it seems like Canucks people have suddenly jolted awake after three years and realized how utterly loving clown college our power play has been and have actually made some real changes to improve it? I can only write that in paranoid incredulity atm

team real bad; who even cares anyways

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, at least they're not pretending to be contenders this time around.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Hand Knit posted:

Which playoff series did actually break teams? The 2011 SCF seems like the obvious first choice, but what else? Maybe Leafs-Bruins 2013 but I don't know if the 2013 Leafs counted as not-broken to begin with.

The 2013 Wings-Blackhawks series, in which the Wings went up 3-1 on the Hawks before losing in game 7. That series basically convinced the front office that the team didn't need a full rebuild and probably kept Holland in a job 5 years and counting longer than he should of been.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
I got to interview Jay Baruchel about Last Of The Enforcers
He confirmed that the Russian brothers in Goon 'had Kostityn DNA'
Also a super good dude

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

The 2013 Wings-Blackhawks series, in which the Wings went up 3-1 on the Hawks before losing in game 7. That series basically convinced the front office that the team didn't need a full rebuild and probably kept Holland in a job 5 years and counting longer than he should of been.

Illich still being alive kept Holland in that job

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

clean ayers act posted:

That series was loving amazing though. So many storylines!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charlie O'Connor kicked off his Athletic work and holy god does he dive deep now. His entire first article is on the Flyers' 5v5 struggles and comparing Low-To-High strategies (which we relied on _way_ too much) with Home Plate and Behind The Net ones. It's a great read.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

team real bad; who even cares anyways

Pretty much. I don't mind the Vanek signing at all. Worst comes to worst he goes on the waiver wire in a few months and Aquaman is out a couple million bucks. Best case scenario he has a good season and we flip him for a 3rd/4th round pick at the deadline. The only prospect that is affected by this in a meaningful way is Boeser, and I'd prefer he at least started the season in the AHL before making the jump full time. The vast majority of young scorers start their rookie year in the AHL, put up PPG numbers for 20-30 games then get a permanent call up. Not deviating from that method is the team's most prudent course of action right now after years of trying to be smarter than everyone else (and failing spectacularly).

The rest of our youngsters are of the fairly meh variety and would benefit from a year or two developing chemistry in the lower pressure environment of the AHL. It's not like anything good is going to come out of this team at the NHL level this year, so no need to blast everyone into the suck furnace quite yet.

Vanek, Gagner, Del Zotto and Nilsson are the definition of stop gap solutions. If one or two work out, great; if they don't, it's not an issue. I actually quite like what Benning and co. have done this year (with the huge caveat of if they're doing it for the above reasons and not because they suddenly think a bunch of 3rd tier free agents will make them competitive or something), they finally seem to have figured out what everyone else saw four years ago. This is a dreadful team and one without any redeeming qualities.

This season is really just one that needs to be played out with all of the youngsters each getting a taste of NHL action as injuries mount and maybe one or two sticking by season's end. This is all about waiting for two or three years down the line once the rebuild is done, and technically they have to ice enough players to be allowed to participate in games until then.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Where the gently caress was this MAF against the Capitals this year? Or where the gently caress was a decent Braden Holtby?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Mind_Taker posted:

Where the gently caress was this MAF against the Capitals this year? Or where the gently caress was a decent Braden Holtby?

Fleury is inconsistent. But, that means sometimes he's really good.

He's also been the primary reason we lost a few years, so there is that too.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Fleury is inconsistent. But, that means sometimes he's really good.

He's also been the primary reason we lost a few years, so there is that too.

Even in 2009 he was garbage against the Capitals. It was just that the rest of the team was so drat good that year that it didn't matter.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 5, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I remember Kimmo Timmonen wasn't the biggest dude as NHL defensemen went, but that he was still pretty decently sized. Then I saw him next to Joel Embiid :stare:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

DJExile posted:

I remember Kimmo Timmonen wasn't the biggest dude as NHL defensemen went, but that he was still pretty decently sized. Then I saw him next to Joel Embiid :stare:

I mean, any NHL player is going to look small next to someone that is 7'.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jedimastafez posted:

I got to interview Jay Baruchel about Last Of The Enforcers
He confirmed that the Russian brothers in Goon 'had Kostityn DNA'
Also a super good dude

Well he's a massive Habs homer so I'm frankly surprised he didn't have more Hab analogies in the original Goon

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just learned that Kovalev was playing in the Swiss second league last year.

I know, right

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/905056546807312386?s=09

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ken Holland really is the worst.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

I just learned that Kovalev was playing in the Swiss second league last year.

I know, right

He's the GM of a team in that league, he just played a few games as an injury replacement.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

loving :laffo: way to go detroit

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Somebody offer sheet this guy already!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Didn't someone post that the bare minimum offer sheet that the Wings can't match within the cap would only cost a team a 2nd round pick? What was the cost, something like $4M? I forget.

What teams have the space to throw $4M at AA, and have the need for him?

E: Looked it up, it's $1.9 to $3.9M, compensation would be a second rounder.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 5, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

Didn't someone post that the bare minimum offer sheet that the Wings can't match within the cap would only cost a team a 2nd round pick? What was the cost, something like $4M? I forget.

Nobody will do it because :offersheet:.

There's a lot of teams that should do it, though. He'd fit well just about anywhere since he's a young dude with hands and skating.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

Arizona, Nashville, Winnipeg would definitely like more good forwards and have the space to afford him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Arizona, Nashville, Winnipeg would definitely like more good forwards and have the space to afford him.

Somewhere deep in the Nashville offices, David Poile smiles

"finally...."

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Ken Holland bungling away the Red Wings' best player makes absolute sense.

He's not old enough, not enough of a grinder

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

and not from michigan

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm going to feel really bad about all this in a few years when it's revealed ken holland was stricken with an undiagnosed case of early-onset dementia or something, but for the time being i'm going to enjoy him destroying the detroit red wings

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Even if you don't want to offersheet him, throw out some garbage draft picks/prospects and pick him up - unless Holland is just being a dickhole and telling AA "it's either our offer or nothing."

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

and not from michigan

People are very mad about Kid Rock opening up the new arena. However, it makes perfect sense considering:

- his entire gimmick (to Detroiters) is that he is from Detroit and Michigan
- it's not just one show, it's excessively six shows
- he is old and washed up, if he ever was in the lake in the first place

If Kid Rock were a hockey player, he would absolutely have a Ken Holland contract. He is the cultural epitome of BAD EXPENSIVE.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Even if you don't want to offersheet him, throw out some garbage draft picks/prospects and pick him up - unless Holland is just being a dickhole and telling AA "it's either our offer or nothing."

i'd be hard-pressed to believe it's anything but this, really

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The new arena ribbon cutting has been 25 minutes of high school marching band, followed by a slam poetry TED talk.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

AsInHowe posted:

The new arena ribbon cutting has been 25 minutes of high school marching band, followed by a slam poetry TED talk.

I loving hate this guy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

followed by a slam poetry TED talk.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

unless Holland is just being a dickhole and telling AA "it's either our offer or nothing."

This is the kind of GM message sending that ends up with Kyle Turris being traded to Ottawa for David Rundblad and a 2nd.

• Locked thread