Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lidnsya posted:

I was just catching up on the IOSM thread and learned that Joe Walsh and John Walsh are not the same person. I was like, wow is that AMW guy a massive conservative rear end in a top hat, but maybe what happened to his kid made him snap or something.

Edit: Neither of them are Robert Stack either.

There's also a conservative Catholic blogger named Matt Walsh (who is not comic actor Matt Walsh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lidnsya posted:

I was just catching up on the IOSM thread and learned that Joe Walsh and John Walsh are not the same person. I was like, wow is that AMW guy a massive conservative rear end in a top hat, but maybe what happened to his kid made him snap or something.

Wait until you figure out Rescue 911.

Shocking twist there's a gremlin on the plane's wing

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

There's also a conservative Catholic blogger named Matt Walsh (who is not comic actor Matt Walsh)

Yeah, I remember being so disappointed that someone so instrumental in the founding of the UCB could be that kind of an rear end in a top hat, but what a relief it was to find out that wasn't him.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

lidnsya posted:

And neither of those guys were ever in the Eagles.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Even in my university math (and everything else) lectures, the professors encourage students to speak up at any point if they have any questions or don't understand something.

Not being allowed to say anything sounds lovely and you might as well just be watching a YouTube video at home. Hell, at least you could rewind the parts you don't get.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Frankston posted:

Not being allowed to say anything sounds lovely and you might as well just be watching a YouTube video at home. Hell, at least you could rewind the parts you don't get.

.... or play them at 1.5 speed if they're super boring!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
"Mario" is just the male version of "Maria" which is just "Mary". That cartoon plumber is called Mary. Super Mary Brothers. Huh.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unkempt posted:

"Mario" is just the male version of "Maria" which is just "Mary". That cartoon plumber is called Mary. Super Mary Brothers. Huh.

Klaus Maria Brandauer is basically a girl!

e: OK here's one for the thread: Klaus Maria Brandauer is actually called Klaus Georg Steng and Maria Brandauer was his mother's name.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Unkempt posted:

You'd think so, but no. "Mario" is from the Latin "Marius", which probably has to do with the god Mars; "Maria" and "Mary" are both from Hebrew's "מִרְיָם" through Greek Μάρια/Μάριαμ. They're unrelated.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is "any etymology you think you just learned is categorically wrong" in the OP yet?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is "any etymology you think you just learned is categorically wrong" in the OP yet?

I think it was the in thread title when it was first posted actually

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Besesoth posted:

You'd think so, but no. "Mario" is from the Latin "Marius", which probably has to do with the god Mars; "Maria" and "Mary" are both from Hebrew's "מִרְיָם" through Greek Μάρια/Μάριαμ. They're unrelated.

Huh. So what would a male version of 'Maria' be?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was going to make it the title again but I couldn't get past the total failure of the American education system

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Unkempt posted:

According to my 30 second google search one of the origins of the name Maria (there's apparently several) is the feminine version of the name Marius so the male version of the name would be ..... Mario.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

According to my 30 second google search one of the origins of the name Maria (there's apparently several) is the feminine version of the name Marius so the male version of the name would be ..... Mario.

Maria as a form of Mary (i.e. Catholics naming their daughters after Our Lady of Perpetual Apathy or whatever) is derived from the Hebrew name. Stress on the second syllable. Maria as a feminine form of Marius/Mario would have the stress on the first syllable. The distinction hardly matters these days as any country that speaks a Romance language is also Catholic enough to be naming girls after the Mother of God.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So they masculine of Maria is Jesus[Hey-Zeus]. Neat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Stress on the second syllable. Maria as a feminine form of Marius/Mario would have the stress on the first syllable.

Wait, Mario is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable?

Stuff I just figured out: well that explains why the Gamestop guys are always laughing at me :psyduck:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Stuff I just figured out: well that explains why the Gamestop guys are always laughing at me :psyduck:

Yes please can I have the new Superb Marío Siblings game?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unkempt posted:

We don't make male versions of female names.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

So you always ask for Mario games but have never actually played one?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I just now realized Gone with the Wind and Casablanca aren't the same movie.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also any dude running around named Josh is actually named after Jesus

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

packetmantis posted:

I just now realized Gone with the Wind and Casablanca aren't the same movie.

Huh. Like, I know they're different films, but now that you've said that, I do always group them together in my head.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The feminine form of Mario is clearly Gianna.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Voyager 1 was launched AFTER Voyager 2.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Yeah, I remember being so disappointed that someone so instrumental in the founding of the UCB could be that kind of an rear end in a top hat, but what a relief it was to find out that wasn't him.

Related, unfortunately the Michael Medved that was a pioneer with his brother in making fun of b-movie schlock with their books, which is a direct progenitor to things like MST3K, is the same Michael Medved that is an rear end in a top hat right wing conservative talk radio host. :smith:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Meanwhile, "Luigi", "Louis", and "Ludwig" are all basically the same name in different languages - and "Ludwig" was first.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Twitch posted:

:wrong:

Marionette.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Besesoth posted:

Meanwhile, "Luigi", "Louis", and "Ludwig" are all basically the same name in different languages - and "Ludwig" was first.
Also Ludovico (remember the Ludovico Technique in A Clockwork Orange?), Lodewijk, and Aloysius! :eng101:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah OK I don't understand how people can mispronounce Mario (as in, the video game character, anyway) when he will happily yell his name at you in any number of games.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Twitch posted:

I'd just like to say I appreciated this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Besesoth posted:

I know a guy, named John, who has three brothers - Sean, Ivan and Johan.

they're all basically named John

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Carlos Boozer has a brother named Charles

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Choco1980 posted:

:same:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

bewilderment posted:

Yeah OK I don't understand how people can mispronounce Mario (as in, the video game character, anyway) when he will happily yell his name at you in any number of games.

I still run into people who pronounce it "mare-ee-oh" as though it hasn't been 20 years since "it's-a me, Mario".

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

edit: I mean, um, yeah, co-signed

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just realized that "nit-picking" means....well, picking at nits.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bewilderment posted:

Finally a realistic depiction of Italians in video games.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Besesoth posted:

I still run into people who pronounce it "mare-ee-oh" as though it hasn't been 20 years since "it's-a me, Mario".

It's the same difference as Pasta/Paw-sta, Mazda/Mawzda. In North America I've known it as an east/west difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

DavidAlltheTime posted:

It's the same difference as Pasta/Paw-sta, Mazda/Mawzda. In North America I've known it as an east/west difference.

...please tell me you don't think pronouncing the first "a" as in "hat" is the correct pronunciation. Both of those are loanwords from languages that don't have that sound.

e: I'm aware of dialects, but spelling one the way the word's actually spelled implies "correctness".

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Sep 6, 2017